Instructions:

1. Please use the <Edit Contents> menu option (directly above) to complete this form. Remember to <Save> the page (bottom right) after making updates.
  2. Travelers are asked to collaborate as a team in pulling together the appropriate information.
  3. This Trip/Event Assessment form will be automatically associated with its related Proposal; therefore, no duplicate traveler identification information is required.
  4. The information fields are 'richtext' so that they can accommodate tables, links, images, attachments, and other formatting capabilities that may be useful in explaining/describing the Trip/Event.
  5. This form may be edited/saved as many times as needed. When completed, please notify your Pilot Program Coordinator (PPC) for further processing.
STAFF USE ONLY
Assessment
Status 
Form ID#
APPROVED

NPOC02

Trip/Event Assessments should be completed within three (3) weeks of the traveler's return date.

Trip/Event Assessment Form

LINK:  NPOC Trip Proposal 2

1) Describe the Trip/Event in sufficient detail
that an interested reader could understand Who,
What, When, Where, and Why concerning this
funded CROPP activity (please be as expansive
as possible):  

I attended the tenth EuroDIG in Tallinn between the 4th and the 7th, representing NPOC. We decided to cancel our pre-event there and because the CROPP funding was only for one person accommodating, I didn't feel comfortable organising it all by myself, even though Estonia is a fairly familiar territory for me.

2) Explain the extent to which the Proposed
Goals and Outcomes were accomplished
(see above LINK to review the original Proposal):  

On the fourth of June, I took a tram and a boat and then tram again, to get to my hotel in Tallinn from my home in Helsinki. The travel cost ICANN 119€, which included a buffet on the boat, both ways. ICANN travel agency suggested to get plane tickets, which would've been slower, less comfortable and more expensive. Door to door, my trip took about three hours to reach Swissotel, the best hotel in Estonia, which also happened to be the location for the EuroDIG.

At the hotel, I had received a delivery: brand new NPOC brochures that I ordered from an Estonian printing service. 500 brochures including delivery, for 156€.

Same night I met the Copyfighters in a restaurant in the center of Tallinn and had a pleasant evening with some discussions on copyright while enjoying some of the local festivities. Quite a few of them were from various Pirate Parties from around Europe, if not all of them, and among them was a good delegation from Finland, too.

Each year young people (18-30 years old) residing in all European countries are encouraged to proactively represent the European youth throughout the EuroDIG process. This year there were two pre-events: YOUthDIG and Copyfighters.

On the fifth, I went for lunch with Jesse Järvi and Tapani Tarvainen and were discussing Jesse joining NPOC as an Effi representative. In the afternoon, I joined William Drake's session on "Forced data localization and barriers to cross-border data flows: Toward a multistakeholder approach" which was a very interesting presentation on the current stage of internet fragmentation.

On the morning of the sixth, I set up NPOC's flyers on the ICANN desk and was manning the desk until Estonia's president gave her welcoming address. After that it was Lithuania's president's turn and then the secretary general of EuroDIG. The atmosphere was very upbeat, even though the place itself was much smaller than in Brussels the previous year. https://livestream.com/accounts/12493954/events/7461355/videos/157645246[livestream.com]

After that, I was sitting at the ICANN desk, pretty much until lunch, albeit catching a small glimpse of the discussion presented by Tatiana Tropina, on "Alice in wonderland – mapping the cybersecurity landscape in Europe and beyond"https://livestream.com/accounts/12493954/events/7461355/videos/157645246[livestream.com]

After lunch, I went to see "Community connectivity – Empowering the unconnected" https://livestream.com/accounts/12493954/events/7461527/videos/157650822[livestream.com] which was presented by Luca Belli, who I've worked with the community connectivity issues in the IGF as well as RightsCon as a panelist and a moderator, respectively. We will most probably meet again in the Geneva IGF and I'm also doing a website for the DC3, that was kicked off in the Guadalajara IGF. DC3 stands for Dynamic Coalition on Community Connectivity and it aims to connect "the next billion" building network infrastructure by the community, for the community.

I also attended the speech of the Norwegian prime minister https://livestream.com/accounts/12493954/events/7461355/videos/157653490[livestream.com] and a very interesting discussion after it, in the "Internet in the “post-truth” era?" - discussion. I also had a nice encounter with one of the panelists, Jessikka Aro, who is a Finnish reporter and is being targeted by Putin's troll armies for exposing some of their propaganda and financial connections. We continued the discussion at the official EuroDIG party.

On the seventh, I was staying at the ICANN desk again. Had a fair amount of people coming for a chat and started to realise that I'm starting to get familiar with ICANN and could actually answer most of the questions straight off the bat.

The most interesting session in the whole of EuroDIG was Michael Oghia's presentation on "Drowning in data – Digital pollution, green IT, and sustainable access" https://livestream.com/accounts/12493954/events/7461536/videos/157705971[livestream.com] Before I left for the Open Knowledge Estonia's reception a few kilometers off, I still had time to watch Göran Marbys speech towards the end of the day.

3) Additional information pertaining
to this outreach Trip/Event (optional):
All in all, I met a lot of people and spent a little extracurricular time in trying to get funding for MyData conference as well, for the sake of Open Knowledge Finland and Open Knowledge Estonia, who are organising it now for the second time, this time in both cities. We gave out quite a few of our brochures and probably got a couple of people to join NPOC. Next time, it would definitely be nicer to do this work with a fellow NPOC person but I enjoyed it all very much, nevertheless.
4) Date Completed:24-Jul-2017
Acknowledgements Section

Note: To be completed by a Pilot Program Coordinator (PPC) designated by this organization/structure.

AcknowledgementsConfirmed?NameDateNotes
The Trip/Event Assessment information has been gathered and properly entered into this form.YesMaryam Bakoshi24-Jul-2017
The ICANN Organization / Structure's leadership has authorized the submission of this Trip/Event Assessment.YesMaryam Bakoshi24-Jul-2017
The ICANN Stakeholder Engagement Vice-President has concurred that this Trip/Event Assessment satisfactorily reports the extent to which the goals/outcomes outlined in the original proposal have been achieved.YesOzan Sahin11-Sep-2017
  =======================================================

CROPP-FY17 Trip/Event Assessment Template (Jul 2016)

• No labels
For questions, comments, suggestions, or technical support concerning this space, please email: CROPP Program Staff
© 2016 Internet Corporation For Assigned Names and Numbers