The positions to be filled are:
1. Chair [currently held by Rafik Dammak, was elected to GNSO council]
2. EC – Europe [currently held by Farzaneh Badii, eligible for another term]
3. EC - Africa [currently held by Grace Githaiga, term limited]
Biographies on the current members are available from http://www.ncuc.org/governance/executive-committee/
NCUC EC really needs committed volunteers who are willing to donate a few hours a week to collaboration in order to help ensure that civil society's voice is heard in ICANN. The EC’s responsibilities are administrative management, in-reach and outreach, and interfacing with ICANN’s staff and community as needed. NCUC Chair has also several duties and roles to fulfill. If you think that you or someone you know would be well suited to the tasks involved, then please consider nominating accordingly.
NCUC Bylaws Amendments Approval
The election will also concern the approval of the new NCUC charter. According to article VIII of the current NCUC bylaws:
"Charter amendments shall be passed if at least two thirds of the votes cast in the election favor its adoption (provided 40% or more of the eligible Voters cast a ballot in the election)."
Because of the charter amendment, we really need a good turnout and participation of our membership in the vote,
The information about the ballot, how to vote and cast ballot would be shared later.
The process begins this coming Monday, 31st October. The timetable will be as follows:
31 Oct. - 13 Nov.: Nominations period , nomination to be submitted to NCUC list
14 Nov-20 November: Candidates submit statements to NCUC list , including the candidates/members call
21 Nov. - 4 Dec: Election period / charter vote
5 Dec: Results announcement
During the first two-week period, any member can self-nominate or nominate any other member http://www.ncuc.org/about/members/.
In the second period, the nominees must notify colleagues via the mail list whether they accept the nomination, and if they do, submit a candidate statement (see below) .
At the voting period, ballots will be emailed from this email address email@example.com . Staff will then run the tally software and announce the vote, and the new EC will be set up soon thereafter. Only those who check-in and included in the voters list will receive the ballot.
We will conduct a quick check-in process to build the voter list, similar to the process done for NCSG election. The process is ongoing. You just need to respond to the email to be considered as active and added to the voters list. We are targeting those who didn't check-in for this year NCSG election, those who already checked-in for that election will be in the NCUC voters list for 2016.
if you would like to correct current email address in our data base in order for staff to send you a ballot. So within the next couple weeks, Maryam Bakoshi will send mail to every address in our data base asking for a reply email confirming that it is the valid address for the individual member or organizational representative listed at http://www.ncuc.org/about/members/ . Please make sure that her message does not get lost in a spam filter. Her address maryam.bakoshi at icann.org
IV. Candidate Statements
For the statement, the nominated candidate should answer:
* Name, declared region of residence, gender and employment;
* Any conflicts of interest;
- Why do you want to serve on the EC?
- Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on the NCUC Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might have.
- The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the Constituency. What level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role on a weekly and overall basis? Describe any concerns or limitations on your ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN Meetings in person.
- Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep members apprised of your EC-related activities?
- How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why? Incumbent candidates should answer in a manner that is both backward and forward looking, i.e. taking note of their contributions and work in the previous year.
The statements should be relatively concise, e.g. a couple paragraphs per question
V. "Meet the Candidates” Virtual Meeting?
In the week prior to the voting period, we will organize a confcall for the membership to ask candidates. The date/time will be decided and shared during that week.