Sub-group Members: Asha Hemrajani, Carlos Vera, Herb Waye, Klaus Stoll, Sebastien Bachollet.  (5)

Staff: Bernard Turcotte, Brenda Brewer, Eric Evrard (I.T.), Karen Mulberry, Laena Rahim, Yvette Guigneaux.

Apologies:  Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Albert Soto 

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to **




Roll Call / Apologies – Welcome – Opening Remarks
Discussion of the questions 
Prep of the next WS2 plenary (Oct 19, 2016)
Plan of the document
Coordination with other DT
Next meeting #11 – Oct 24, 2016


(including relevant parts of chat):

6 participants at start of call.

1. Roll Call / Apologies – Welcome – Opening Remarks

Sebastien Bachollet: Agenda accepted. Cheryl Langdon-Orr apologies. We have added a new observer.

2. Discussion of the questions 

Sebastien Bachollet: Note regarding new role of the Complaints Officer (CO).

Asha Hemrajani: Asking for more details on how the new hire will interact with the Ombuds Office and when the CO will be hired.

Herb Waye: spoke to Goran twice about this. He was concerned about complaints regarding staff performance. There is an overlap with the role of the Ombuds Office - looking forward to a partnership between both similar to the partnership of the Ombuds Office has with contractual enforcement.

Asha Hemrajani: Agree positive development. However, there could be overlap with the Ombudsman Office but it will be important for this group to get more information on the new position for our work.

Klaus Stoll: Unfortunate timing given the work of this group and the lack of consultation with the community. Would have been better to work with the recommendations of this group. There is serious concern by the community that this will further strengthen ICANN legal which is undesirable.

Sebastien Bachollet: good comment KS. The question remains about the Ombuds Office vs staff. Also note that the new position could have been discussed with this group and the staff prior to any announcement. Personal opinion is that any such position for staff should be independent of staff. Additionally, we should coordinate with the Staff Accountability sub-group.

Klaus Stoll: Can we as a group start a dialogue with Goran on that position. At least communicate our concerns?

Asha Hemrajani: Klaus, as I had mentioned earlier, I have asked Goran to provide further clarifications.

Klaus Stoll: It should get further then just us being told. It should be a dialogue. I appreciate what AH is saying, clarifications will not help. We should communicate with Goran that he should discuss with us before proceeding.

Sebastien Bachollet: Propose we bring this to the attention of the full group on the plenary call. ACTION ITEM - Invite Goran to our next meeting to discuss this point.

Asha Hemrajani: I think Herb (as staff) and I (as board liaison) can bring back these concerns to the Board and staff.

Klaus Stoll: Thank You Asha

Herb Waye: Ombuds Office would be for staff relevant to policy implementation issues. More HR related issues would be for the CO.

Asha Hemrajani: Herb and I can bring this up to the Board but the first step is to get more information.

Sebastien Bachollet: As a group we would prefer to have direct interaction with Goran on this topic.

3. Prep of the next WS2 plenary (Oct 19, 2016)

Sebastien Bachollet: The Board Gov. Comm. is the unit to look at the work done by the Ombudsman. What will be the role of the BGC going forward? Would like to link this question to the independence of the Ombus Office - this in the context of the Empowered Community.

Klaus Stoll: We have to transition from the current model to the Empowered Community and we need to have very clear roles.

Herb Waye: Independence has never been an issue with the various components of the Board. It could possibly be better documented but it will not change the relationship.

Klaus Stoll: Agree with HW, but find it useful to properly document these points.

 Asha Hemrajani: This is all a matter of documentation.

Sebastien Bachollet: Personal POV - Need to be clear of why and how things are done and we need to see if we can improve independence. Additionally, what is the role of the Compensation Committee re budget of the Ombuds office (uncertain?). Should this be done outside of the Board? maybe a discussion for this group. This closes this topic for today. I have asked the full CCWG regarding how we will finance the review. Also would like to have staff help for the document.

Herb Waye Ombuds: An external review would not need to be rewritten by staff

4. Plan of the document

Sebastien Bachollet: (review of slide). I will be working on a new version in the next 48 hours so we can look at it prior to our next meeting.

5. Coordination with other DT

Sebastien Bachollet: Have discussed with Transparency group. Should we have a joint meeting with them? Another group that is relevant is Staff Acct. Please think if we should hold common meetings with these other groups (Action item: Send a note to this group regarding this).

Herb Waye: If we do have such meetings they should be arranged to ensure they are productive and do not bring more confusion.

6. Next meeting #11 – Oct 24, 2016

7. AOB


Sebastien Bachollet: Adjourned (with 6 participants).

Documents Presented


Chat Transcript

  Yvette Guigneaux:  Welcome to the WS2 -  Ombudsman Subgroup Meeting #10 |  13:  00 UTC |  17 October 16!

  Herb Waye Ombuds:  Hello Ladies

  Yvette Guigneaux:  Hello Herb

  Herb Waye Ombuds:  just got kicked out again sigh

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  hi all

  Klaus:  Hi all!

  Yvette Guigneaux:  Herb, did AC let you sign back in, is all good now?

  Carlos Vera / ISOC Ecuador:  Saludos desde Ecuador. Carlos Vera

  Klaus:  Don't use the AC and Skype at the same time. One or both will  die.

  Carlos Vera / ISOC Ecuador:  is there spanish translation?

  Carlos Vera / ISOC Ecuador:  understood thx

  Yvette Guigneaux:  Hi Asha - we see and hear you 

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  cheryl

  Klaus:  Can we as a group start a dialogue with Goran on that position

  Klaus:  At least communicate our concerns

  Herb Waye Ombuds:  chat test...

  Asha Hemrajani:  Klaus, as I had mentioned earlier, I have asked Goran to provide further clarifications.

  Yvette Guigneaux:  We see you Herb

  Herb Waye Ombuds:  ok

  Klaus:  It should get further then just us being told. It should be a dialogue

  Asha Hemrajani:  Yes getting further clarifications could be the first step

  Asha Hemrajani:  I think Herb (as staff) and I (as board liaison) can bring back these concerns to the Board and staff.

  Klaus:  Thank You Asha

  Herb Waye Ombuds:  agree Asha

  Klaus:  OK, Thanks Asha

  Herb Waye Ombuds:  What is Empowered Community?

  Asha Hemrajani:  @Herb, the empowered community is the result of the CCWG Accountability work - there are 7 powers

  Asha Hemrajani:  eg veto the budget, spill the board, remove individual board member, changing bylaws etc

  Herb Waye Ombuds:  ok thanks

  Herb Waye Ombuds:  so the question should be relationship and not role?

  Asha Hemrajani:  Yes that is my understanding of Seb's question -

  Klaus:  Great Herb, but we need to keep it this way

  Herb Waye Ombuds:  agree

  Klaus:  Asha, I don't see where we disagree

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  Sebastien what is your question or point vs the compensation committee?

  Herb Waye Ombuds:  I will be meeting with them in Hyderabad and will discuss your concerns Seb

  Klaus:  We should weigh the Ombudsperson once a year in gold and thats done with the compensation question!

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  reminder:  15 minutes to the top of the hour

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  Seb - Karen is working on this

  Herb Waye Ombuds:  an external reveiw would not need to be rewritten by staff

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  I should say actively working on this

  Herb Waye Ombuds:  got it

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  @Seb - we can chat about help offline

  Herb Waye Ombuds:  nice graphic... I may steal it :  -)

  Asha Hemrajani:  Indeed!

  Asha Hemrajani:  Good to see "mediation" and "facilitation" on there

  Carlos Vera / ISOC Ecuador:  about graphic, i miss timely and reliable

  Herb Waye Ombuds:  will think about that idea Seb... maybe discuss it at next general CCWG call

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  @Prep meeting

  Asha Hemrajani:  I think Seb has already brought this up before?

  Karen Mulberry:  There is a Leadership meeting tomorrow and it can be raised in that session as all the Rapporteurs will be there to exchange issues and status of their work

  Herb Waye Ombuds:  Thank Seb for your excellent work

  Klaus:  Bye all!

  Carlos Vera / ISOC Ecuador:  nice meeting bye all

  Asha Hemrajani:  Thank you

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  bye all


  • No labels