Attendees: 

Members:   Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Donna Austin, Eduardo Diaz, Graeme Bunton, Greg Shatan, Jaap Akkerhuis, Jonathan Robinson, Lise Fuhr, Maarten Simon, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Paul Kane, Seun Ojedeji   (12)

Participants:  Alan Greenberg, Alissa Cooper, Allan MacGillivray, Andrew Sullivan, Becky Burr, Chris Disspain, Chuck Gomes, Harold Arcos, Keith Davidson, Martin Boyle, Matthew Shears, Milton Mueller, Stephen Deerhake   (13)

Legal Counsel:  Josh Hofheimer, Yael Resnick

Staff:  Bernie Turcotte, Elise Gerich, Nathalie Vergnolle, Samantha Eisner, Trang Nguyen, Yuko Green

Apologies:  Kavouss Arasteh, Elise Lindeburg

**Please let Brenda know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**

Agenda

1. Status Update (Chairs)

2. Implementation Update

• Staff update  

3. Key Issues (with Sidley)

• Naming Functions Agreement
    • Services Agreement
    • IANA IPR

4. Client Committee

5. AOB

Notes

1. Status Update (Chairs)

• Sidley working directly with ICANN Legal on the Naming functions agreement
  • Key objective for today's call is to resolve remaining issues with the Naming functions agreement, and the IANA IPR 
    agreement (signatory and CCG representatives)

2. Implementation Update (Trang)

• Status update slide presented by Trang

3. Key Issues

3.1. Naming Functions Agreement

• Walk-thru Issues list produced by Sidley
  • A1: no objections, considered closed
  • A2: no objections, considered closed
  • A3: alternative language has been proposed by Becky Burr, and further alternative language by Chuck/Milton. Proposed revised 
    wording should include changing "apply" to "consult". Group adopts revised wording. 

ACTION (ICANN Legal): conform other sections of the agreement that have the same language

• A4: no objecions, considered closed
  • A5: no objections, considered closed
  • A6: no objections, considered closed
  • A7: discussed the role of the ombudsman as described in the CWG proposal. Group is ok with suppressing the Ombudsman 
    from Phase 2 (no changes to 8.1.b needed). Considered closed.
  • A8: no objections, considered closed
  • A9:  no objections, considered closed
  • A10: no objections, considered closed

ACTION (ICANN Legal / Sidley): provide CWG with a revised version of the  Naming functions agreement including today's points 
before next CWG call.

• Suggestion is to submit  redlined version as CWG's comment to the Public Comment after next call (Sept 08)

3.2 IANA IPR

• Reviewed letter of instruction drafted by Sidley, designating ICANN as counterparty representing the Naming community for 
    signature of the Community agreement.
  • Remaining open issues: definition of the Names Community, and designation of CCG representatives.
  • Definition of the Names community: Greg Shatan provided a summary of  the discussion initiated in the mailing list.
  • Suggestion to nominate initial CCGs from the CWG
  • Suggestion to have CWG act on this as long as it exists, then possibly the EC.
  • Suggestion to fill in the blank in the letter by "CWG on behalf of the chartering organizations".
  • Several objections to designating the CSC.
  • Suggestion to use PTI board.
  • Suggestion to use SO/ACs . Which ones? - the chartering organizations, potentially represented by their chairs.

ACTION (Sidley): propose some revised language on the basis of the feedback received by the group today. 

• CCGs need to be selected by September 30th. 

5. AOB

• Next CWG call: 08 Sep 16 @14:00 UTC.

ACTION (staff): forward CWG invitation to Sidley. 

Action Items

• ACTION (ICANN Legal / Sidley): provide CWG with a revised version of the  Naming functions agreement including today's points 
    before next CWG call.
  • Suggestion is to submit  redlined version as CWG's comment to the Public Comment after next call (Sept 08)
  • ACTION (Sidley): propose some revised language on the basis of the feedback received by the group today. 
  • ACTION (staff): forward CWG invitation to Sidley. 

Transcript

Recordings

Documents

Chat Transcript

Yuko Green: (9/1/2016 14:47) Hi everybody, welcome to the CWG IANA meeting #90!

Eduardo Diaz (ALAC): (14:54) I will be in adobe only

Yuko Green: (15:01) We will get started shortly

martin boyle, Nominet: (15:14) sorry I'm late

Yuko Green: (15:18) Redline was forwarded by Trang at 3:50am UTC today/8:50pm PDT yesterday to CWG

Yuko Green: (15:19) everybody has a scrolling control of the document

Becky Burr: (15:22) we have proposed some alternative language.

Becky Burr: (15:22)  Section 4.7 Responsibility and Respect for Stakeholders. Contractor shall apply the policies for the Root Zone Management component of the IANA Naming Function that have been defined, or after the date of this Agreement are further defined, by (a) the Generic Names Supporting Organization (“GNSO”) and the Country Code Names Supporting Organization (“ccNSO”), and (b) RFC 1591: /Domain Name System Structure and Delegation/ (“RFC 1591”) as interpreted by the Framework of Interpretation of Current Policies and Guidelines Pertaining to the Delegation and Redelegation of Country-Code Top Level Domain Names, dated October 2014 (“FOI”).  In addition to these policies, Contractor shall, where applicable, apply the 2005 Governmental Advisory Committee Principles and Guidelines for the Delegation and Administration of Country Code Top Level Domains (“GAC 2005 ccTLD Principles”). Contractor shall publish documentation pertaining to the implementation of these policies and principles on the IANA Websi

Becky Burr: (15:23) Note the Milton and Chuck have suggested that we substitute "consult" where "apply" is used in the reference to the GAC Principles

Becky Burr: (15:29) correct

Josh Hofheimer (Sidley): (15:30) +1 on changing "apply" to "consult" in the sentence relating to the GAC principles.

Samantha Eisner: (15:30) WIth apologies, i have to leave the call early

Lise Fuhr: (15:31) Seems like a good compromise text

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (15:33) Thanks Becky.

Chris Disspain: (15:34) I agree with Becky

Becky Burr: (15:35) note for ICANN staff that we need to conform other sections of the agreement that have the same problem

Trang Nguyen: (15:35) @Becky: Noted.

Keith Davidson: (15:35) Nice progress Becky!

Milton Mueller: (15:35) Jonathan, sometimes your voice trails off and you are hard to hear

Jonathan Robinson: (15:36) @Milton. Thanks. I'll make sure to speak clearly and close to mic.

Milton Mueller: (15:36) :)

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (15:46) That sounds okay to me.

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (15:54) Does the Ombudsman have any role in IRP?  I think not.

Becky Burr: (15:55) apologies, I have to step away

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (15:58) Did you mean A9

Josh Hofheimer (Sidley): (15:58) Yes Chuck, we are in A9. thx

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (16:00) Is it correct to assume that any transparency changes coming out of WS2 would apply?

Milton Mueller: (16:00) what about inspection rights from the Empowered community?

Trang Nguyen: (16:00) @Chuck: yes

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (16:01) Thanks Trang.

Paul Kane: (16:01) Am I late?

Milton Mueller: (16:02) Yes.

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (16:02) @ Paul: there were no objections to A1 - A9.

Paul Kane: (16:02) oh.. Had it noted for 2100 UTC my mistake!

andrew sullivan: (16:04) I haven't checked this section but if you want me to I will

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (16:07) It seems to me that we should set a fairly short deadline for the full WG to express concerns on A1-A10.

Paul Kane: (16:07) Thanks all

Paul Kane: (16:08) Will do so as soon as possible

andrew sullivan: (16:08) SOW section 4 looks reasonable to me

andrew sullivan: (16:08) so A 10 could be closed IMO

Paul Kane: (16:09) Thanks Josh

matthew shears: (16:09) sorry - on A9 can you confirm that the alternative sidley language will be incorporated?

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (16:09) @ Paul:  Please note the dicussion on list today on A3.

Josh Hofheimer (Sidley): (16:10) @matthew, Yes, the Sidley language is in as Section 12.3 of the redline.

matthew shears: (16:11) thanks

Josh Hofheimer (Sidley): (16:12) @Trang, would you prepare the next turn of the NFA based on this call, and Sidley will review and confirm.  Thanks

Trang Nguyen: (16:12) @Josh: Yes

Josh Hofheimer (Sidley): (16:22) thx

Donna Austin, RySG: (16:24) Would it be possible for the PTI Board to be responsible?

matthew shears: (16:26) agree Jonathan

martin boyle, Nominet: (16:26) I'm going to have to drop out, sorry.  Thanks for a good call

matthew shears: (16:27) + 1

Avri Doria: (16:27) what is the successro to the CWG?  how long does tthe CWG persist?  I think the chatering memebrs makes sense.  and is this then inherited by the EC?

Greg Shatan: (16:29) That's fine with me -- an "echo" of the CWG.

matthew shears: (16:30) yes

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (16:32) In Greg's message earlier today his 3rd option was '3.             An Implementation Oversight Team (IOT) (drawn in some fashion from the CWG and/or its Chartering Organizations)'.  Does this fit what Jonathan was talking about?

Alan Greenberg: (16:33) No, that is one of the uses for the EC, but it exists all the time.

Avri Doria: (16:37) and the EC will already have a bunch of people selected from each of the SOAC

Greg Shatan: (16:37) We could take a further look at the EC, but have the CWG act in this regard  as long as it exists.

Avri Doria: (16:37) yes, i agree CWG is a good idea for now.

Avri Doria: (16:38) i think we have to do before we blink out of existence

matthew shears: (16:39) but this has not been idetified as a responsibility of the CSC and largely unrelated

Donna Austin, RySG: (16:41) This is beyond the very narrow scope of the CSC Charter.

Avri Doria: (16:42) and counting on the Board to alwaays do the right thing in the future is one of the reasons we have an EC

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (16:42) Technically, the ICANN Board doesn't represent the community.

matthew shears: (16:42) I think we have to stay in teh CWG/EC space

matthew shears: (16:42) agree Donna

Greg Shatan: (16:42) If the Board was a solid representative of the names community, we wouldn't have had the CCWG-Accountability.

Alan Greenberg: (16:42) @Avri, yes, but we do have the EC to oversee.

andrew sullivan: (16:43) @Chuck: the concern you raise is why I sent that note about "representation" vs "something else" yesterday

matthew shears: (16:43) + 1 Avri and Greg on Board

Avri Doria: (16:43) oh so let the Board do it, and if they do it wrong then it is something the EC can act upon.  i see whay you mean

Greg Shatan: (16:44) How about calling on the Chairs of the SOACs (or SOACs and and SGs and Cs) to deal with this?

matthew shears: (16:44) + 1 Josh

andrew sullivan: (16:44) (Note that I do not wish to influence in particular what the CWG does here -- reminder of my usual full disclosure of tmy role on the Trust)

Greg Shatan: (16:44) A sort of Ex Comm approach.

Alan Greenberg: (16:44) OK, each AC/SO names a standing member of a group overseeing the selection of the Names community reps.

Avri Doria: (16:44) the chairs of which SOAC, all fo them?

Greg Shatan: (16:44) At least, the Chartering Orgs.

Avri Doria: (16:44) yet another standing obdy?

Alan Greenberg: (16:45) or the chartering orgs or those in the EC

Avri Doria: (16:46) i can live with that.

Avri Doria: (16:46) and each of them knows how to take things back to their community if they need to

matthew shears: (16:46) agree Greg

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (16:48) agree to chartering organisations

Greg Shatan: (16:48) COs, by their chairs.

Greg Shatan: (16:48) You need a point of contact.

Greg Shatan: (16:48) It will be the Chairs by default anyway.

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (16:49) I like the direction we are headed, i.e., the chartering organizations represented by their chairs.

Greg Shatan: (16:50) that's gone

andrew sullivan: (16:50) The CCG is needed at the transition, I think, which means the beginning of Oct.

Paul Kane: (16:53) 1400 UTC noted :-)

andrew sullivan: (16:53) I'll send my regrets, but I shall not make that call

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (16:53) Thanks all.

andrew sullivan: (16:53) bye all

matthew shears: (16:53) tanks

Josh Hofheimer (Sidley): (16:53) thanks all!

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (16:53) thanks everyone bye

Jaap Akkerhuis (SSAC): (16:53) bye all

Greg Shatan: (16:53) Bye all

Harold Arcos: (16:53) by all, take care..

Eduardo Diaz (ALAC): (16:54) Bye

• No labels