You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 6 Next »

Attendees: 

Sub-group Members:   Athina Fragkouli, Avri Doria, Barbara Wanner, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Chris Wilson, David McAuley, Edward Morris, Elizabeth Andrews, Farzaneh Badii, Hibah Hussain, Mandy Carver, Michael Karanicolas, Philip Corwin, Raoul Plommer, Samantha Eisner, Sarah Kiden, Sonigitu Ekpe, Tatiana Tropina, Tijani Ben Jemaa

Staff:  Bernie Turcotte, Berry Cobb, Brenda Brewer, Charla Shambley

Apologies:  Johan Helsingius

**Please let Brenda know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**

Transcript

Recording

Agenda

1.  Welcome/Introductions

2.  Overview of Subgroup's Work & Timing

3.  Primary Identification of Issues

4.  Logistics going Forward

5.  AOB

Notes

1.  Welcome/Introductions (Michael Karanicolas, Chris Wilson)

• Introduction of participants

2.  Overview of Subgroup's Work & Timing (CW)

• CW: distributed a Powerpoint presentation last week. Listing of the 4 core issues. Review of timeline.

3.  Primary Identification of Issues

• Improving DIDP Ed Morris - overuse of the 12 categories by ICANN to deny requests. Would ICANN be open tor reviewing the 12 denial reasons as a more effective way of proceeding. Phil Corwin supports EM and finds trying to use the DIDP very frustrating - should the Ombudsman (an independent party) review to see if the test is met? Michael Karanicols: review mechanisms are critical to this type of process.
  • Improve ICANN's transparency with respect to governments.  Chris Wilson: there has been some discussion on the3 CCWG list on this topic.Michael Karanicols: the non-disclosure agreements will be an important topic.
  • Improvements to the Whistleblower policy. Avri Doria: there is a pending recommendation from ATRT2 that has been approved by the Board to review the Whistleblower policy. Wondering if this group can motivate getting a professional review done for this. Samantha Eisner: Review is completed 2 parts, first recommendations vs best practices and then possibly extending coverage. Michael Karanicols: hope this group will undertake its own review in addition to this.
  • Transparency of Board deliberations. Sonigitu Ekpe: important to have Board meeting recorded unless for specific exceptions. Farzaneh Badii: what are the exception to Board transparency ? Michael Karanicols: this is some of the things we will be looking at.

4.  Logistics going Forward (Chris Wilson)

• Weekly calls? Maybe start weekly and then reduce. David McAuley (RySG): Maybe calls every other week for a few calls and we can see if that is good. 
  • email engagement will be critical
  • Time of Day - David McAuley (RySG): It seems only fair to move around the clock given vast time zone differences. Times that are available aRE 0500, 1300 and 1900 UTC.
  • Stick with Thursday every other week and rotate the time of day. No objections. Co-chairs will confirm time and day of meetings going forward.

5.  AOB (Michael Karanicols)

• Next call will be in two weeks.

·  Meeting Adjourned.

Documents Presented

Chat Transcript

Brenda Brewer:Good day all and welcome to WS2 Transparency Subgroup Meeting #1 on 4 August 2016 @ 19:00 UTC!

Raoul Plommer:Hi there! I don't have access to a mic right now, so I'll have to type instead.

Brenda Brewer:you should call in..the computer will connect your phone

Raoul Plommer:I'll try something, I'll be back in a jiffy. :)

Raoul Plommer:Any links to current documents to read?

Brenda Brewer:I have not seen any yet.

Michael Karanicolas:Hi all!

Michael Karanicolas:Welcome - and we'll be getting underway shortly.

Michael Karanicolas:We don't have any documents to distribute yet, as we're at the very front end of this process, but I would be happy to send around some background material on the right to information and transparency if you're interested.

Edward Morris:Hi Michael. A big thanks to you and Chris for taking the lead here!

Sonigitu Ekpe:Good evening from Calabar Nigeria.

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:hello all

Raoul Plommer:Michael, background info is excactly what I'm after :)

David McAuley (RySG):sorry to be a little late

David McAuley (RySG):Brenda 4154 is me

Athina Fragkouli (ASO):sorry I missed my turn, I'm Athina Fragkouli from RIPE NCC, a CCWG member ASO liaison

Elizabeth Andrews:Hi, I'm Betsy Andrews (in listen-only mode), ICANN Staff in the Development and Public Responsibility Department.

Philip Corwin:hello all/apologies for the slightly late arrival

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:Not yet

Raoul Plommer:https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/adopted-bylaws-27may16-en.pdf

Farzaneh Badii:so what are we supposed to do here based on the final ccwg proposal ?

Brenda Brewer:If your phone numbers ends in 5316 or 0700 please identify yourself.  Thank you!

Philip Corwin:5316 is my land line

Brenda Brewer:Thank you Philip!

David McAuley (RySG):I think entire DIDP needs a good review

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):indeed Dave a cooperative one

Raoul Plommer:what are the points in the "NTIA criteria"?

Farzaneh Badii:yeah but we have to strat from somewhere

David McAuley (RySG):I like independent review of disclosure decisions - not sure Ombudsman is the place for that

Edward Morris:Agree David. Like IR, dont feel Ombudsman is the proper person.

Philip Corwin:Just suggested Ombudsman, but it could be elsewhere -- the key criteria is independence and ability to objectively apply the criteria

Edward Morris:+1 Phil

Sonigitu Ekpe:It is important for all transaction to be open.

Samantha Eisner:@Avri, the review is completed

Edward Morris:I like tht approach very much Avri.

Samantha Eisner:We're getting the link to provide into the chat

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Thx  Sam keen to see this

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Some of this goes right back to ATRT1 ;-)

Charla Shambley:You can find the two documents on the Accountability page: https://www.icann.org/resources/accountability

Samantha Eisner:The reports are accessible at https://www.icann.org/resources/accountability

Samantha Eisner:In the chart, at ICANN's Anonymous Hotline Policy and Procedures

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:we are not hearing you

Farzaneh Badii:what are the exception to Board transparency ?

Farzaneh Badii:so that could be one of our tasks ?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):That would be appreciated Michael/Chris

Avri Doria:found them.  do not understand how I missed the release of thse reviews sincei have been looking for them for a while.

Avri Doria:was there an announcement of their release that i missed? 

David McAuley (RySG):Maybe calls every other week for a few calls and we can see if that is good

Edward Morris:Agree with David's proposal.

Michael Karanicolas:+1 to dave - seems like a good strategy

David McAuley (RySG):It seems only fair to move around the clock given vast time zone differences

David McAuley (RySG):Thursday seems fine

Philip Corwin:Thursday ok

Sonigitu Ekpe:Thursday is cool.

David McAuley (RySG):sounds good Chris

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Yes that is fine

David McAuley (RySG):Many thanks Michael, Chris, staff, and all

Tatiana Tropina:thanks! Bye

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Thanks everyone, looking forward to our work together... Bye

Barbara Wanner:Thanks everyone!

Avri Doria:bye

Sarah Kiden:Thank you

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:Bye all

• No labels