Board Determination on Final Report in March 2019
Implementation ongoing/subject to prioritization- refer to the implementation page for more information.
- CCT Final Report (8 September 2018)
- Board resolution on CCT Final Report (1 March 2019)
- Scorecard of Board determinations on CCT Final Report (1 March 2019)
- Board resolution on Subset of CCT Pending Recommendations (22 October 2020)
- Board resolution on CCT Pending Recommendation (10 September 2023)
Launched under the Affirmation of Commitments (AoC), the Competition, Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice Review Team (CCT-RT) was formed to assess the New Generic Top-Level Domain (New gTLD) Program in three areas: competition, consumer trust and consumer choice. The review also assessed the effectiveness of safeguards put in place to mitigate issues arising from the introduction of new gTLDs and the Program's application and evaluation process. The review, now contemplated under ICANN Bylaws section 4.6, examined the degree to which the process of implementing the New gTLD Program was successful in producing desired results and achieving the stated objectives.
The CCT-RT produced 35 final recommendations for Board consideration and released its CCT Final Report on 8 September 2018.
On 1 March 2019, the Board took action on each of the 35 recommendations contained in the CCT Final Report, as specified within the scorecard titled “Final CCT Recommendations: Board Action (1 March 2019)“:
- 7 Recommendations were accepted, in whole or in part, subject to costing and implementation considerations.
- 14 recommendations were passed through, in whole or in part, to the community for consideration.
- 17 recommendations were placed in pending status, in whole or in part. The ICANN Board committed to take further action on these recommendations subsequent to the completion of intermediate steps as identified in the Final CCT Recommendations: Board Action (1 March 2019).
- ICANN org proceeded to work on pending recommendations to inform Board action, as reflected in the detailed assessment titled "Informing Board action on Competition, Consumer Trust, and Consumer Choice Review (CCT) Pending Recommendations (22 October 2020)."
- On 22 October 2020, the Board approved 11 pending recommendations, in whole or in part, as specified within the scorecard titled the "Competition, Consumer Trust, Consumer Choice Review Team (CCT-RT) Pending Recommendations: Board Action on 11 Recommendations", subject to prioritization, leaving a remaining 6 recommendations in pending.
See https://www.icann.org/resources/reviews/specific-reviews/cct for more information.