Status

Assignee(s)

Call for
Comments Open
Call for
Comments
Close 
Vote OpenVote CloseDate of SubmissionStaff Contact and EmailStatement Number
 Initial Report on Data & Metrics for Policy MakingADOPTED 13Y, 0N, 0AMaureen Hilyard    23:59 UTC Steve Chan steve.chan@icann.orgAL-ALAC-ST-0915-02-00-EN

For information about this Public Comment, please click here 

FINAL VERSION TO BE SUBMITTED IF RATIFIED

Please download the PDF document below. 

FINAL DRAFT VERSION TO BE VOTED UPON BY THE ALAC

ALAC Statement on the Initial Report on Data & Metrics for Policy Making

The ALAC welcomes the opportunity to provide community input into the Initial Report from the GNSO's Working Group with regards to possible recommendations for the use of Data and Metrics for Policy Making.

The ALAC appreciates the need for solutions that will improve the way in which consensus policies are developed, especially in relation to critical registrant, registry and registrar issues. It is desirable that these issues are addressed within an open and transparent working culture as well as an environment where data is collected in a confidential and anonymous manner. Subsequently, this will encourage better-informed, fact-based policy development and decision-making.

It is important that all parties involved in GNSO decision-making recognise the benefit and value of relevant baseline data and metrics to the Policy Development Process, especially at the initial stages of scoping, understanding and describing a problem or issue. In order to ensure engagement of all parties in the new process, the ALAC supports the possible need to employ an independent third party in order to address any concerns relating to the collection, anonymization and aggregation of data. Fact-based deliberations and decision-making will enable the appropriate prioritization of critical issues based on tangible evidence rather than "gut feeling" or anecdotal examples.

The ALAC supports the introduction of a "pilot" where working groups will be able to submit proposals or ideas whereby the collection and assessment of fact-based data and metrics can become the basis for the initial identification and analysis of issues and/or problems. We also support the view that any funding required to implement the pilot should be considered an investment in the improvement of the policy process rather than a cost against budget.

The ALAC supports the revision of the templates for the Issue Report, Charter and Final Report to update earlier WG guidelines and also the development of a decision tree. These changes will help determine the best avenue to request additional data and metrics. The development of a Policy Development Process Manual, which will include the "Metrics Request Tree and Form", will ensure consistency of both process and practice.

Establishing a framework for distributing information through early outreach to other SOs, ACs and related organisations will facilitate broader qualitative input and support a culture of collaboration between our organisations. This will not only contribute to continuous improvement being fully integrated into the Policy Development Process but also encourage the potential of an Open Data culture across ICANN.

FIRST DRAFT SUBMITTED

The ALAC welcomes being given the opportunity to provide community input into the Initial Report from the GNSO's Working Group with regards to possible recommendations for the use of Data and Metrics for Policy Making.

The ALAC appreciates the need for solutions that will improve the way in which consensus policies are developed, especially in relation to critical registrant, registry and registrar issues. It is desirable that these are addressed within a working culture that is open and transparent; collects data in an environment that ensures confidentiality and anonymity; and subsequently encourages better informed, fact-based policy development and decision-making.

All parties involved in GNSO decision-making must recognise the benefit and value of relevant baseline data and metrics to the policy development process, especially at the initial stages of scoping, understanding and describing a problem or issue. Because of the importance of engaging all parties into the new process,the ALAC supports the possible need to employ an independent third party in order to address any concerns relating to the collection, anonymization and aggregation of data.  Fact-based deliberations and decision-making will enable critical issues to now be prioritised appropriately based on tangible evidence rather than "gut feeling" or anecdotal examples.

The ALAC supports the introduction of a "pilot"  where working groups will be able to submit proposals or ideas whereby the impact of fact-based data and metrics collection can become the basis for the initial identification and analysis of issues and/or problems.  We also support the view that any funding required to implement the pilot should be considered an investment in the improvement of the policy process rather than a cost against budget.

The ALAC supports the revision of the templates for the Issue Report, Charter and Final Report to update earlier WG guidelines and also the development of a decision tree to help to determine the best avenue to request additional data and metrics. The development of a Policy Development Process Manual, which will include the "Metrics Request Tree and Form", will ensure consistency of both process and practice.

Establishing a framework for distributing information through early outreach to other SOs and ACs  and other related organisations, will facilitate broader qualitative input as well as support a culture of collaboration between our organisations. This will not only contribute to continuous improvement being fully integrated into the policy development process but also encourages the potential of an Open Data culture across ICANN.

• No labels

13 Comments

1. INTRODUCTION

Following on from the Issue Report produced by ICANN Staff regarding metrics and reporting by the Compliance Function and other sources, the GNSO Council formed a non-PDP Working Group to further explore opportunities for developing reporting and metrics processes and/or appropriate standardized methodologies that could better inform fact-based policy development and decision making.  

From <https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=41888667>

SUMMARY

The Data and Metrics for Policy Making Working Group (DMPMWG) has provided a very comprehensive report with recommendations aimed at encouraging a more data and metrics driven culture when making decisions related to the generic name space and the ICANN community.

The WG addressed eight Charter questions and from their deliberations, they developed seven recommendations that require changes to their current WG structure, the Charter and their overall decision-making processes. These recommendations contribute to a seven phase policy development process requiring the following changes:

1.       Issue identification - a Data and Metrics Pilot Request Project

2.       Issue Scoping – data collection; and a Metrics Request Decision Tree and Metrics Request template for formal WG requests.

3.       Initiation - an update to the current Charter Template.

4.       Working Group - outreach to organisations external to ICANN’s SOs and ACs during the public consultation process; the inclusion of metrics and an impact assessment; and the Pilot Request Project

5.       Council Deliberations - unchanged

6.       Board vote – unchanged

7.     Implementation – a post-implementation assessment of the impact of the policy

Some thoughts:

·       The collection of gathering baseline data to better inform and understand the issue/problem depending on its complexity, may simply require the services of staff. However, depending on how many complex issues the GNSO community propose – even for the pilot project - the cost of gathering the optimal level of data to implement the recommendations may require more resources (staff or funds) than is anticipated on the final page of the recommendations.

·       A recommendation has been made about expanding the outreach to external organisations during the public consultation process. Although the recommendation has been made to include a statement addressing this into the GNSO’s PDP Manual, should public consultation not be included as a WG deliverable in the Charter, alongside the metrics and impact assessment recommendations for the WG, especially as the consultation process and feedback is expected to be acknowledged in the final report?

·       I have a problem with Charter Question B where the recommendation was to pass any complaints that fall “outside of ICANN policy” to ICANN Contractual Compliance. Far be it from me to suggest that the gNSO ever receives any complaints, but what if a problem arises that is of sufficient “grey area” enough to offer the potential of another policy development request? What processes does the gNSO have in place to address this type of problem and to ensure that processes are “continuously improved, simplified and made more consistent”? Is this where the metrics request decision kicks in? 

2. COMMENTS FROM CHERYL AND ALAN AT THE ALT MEETING (12-08-2015)

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you Maureen. A couple of comments on the history of this. There have been discussions within PDPs, particularly by contracted parties who’ve been objecting to doing things, that at times we attempt to make policy based on hearsay and feelings in your stomach, and not on real data. There have also been statements made that in some cases the only real data is held by the contracted parties, who refuse to give it up. How convenient. When this original project started, there was a tone in it that they were supposed to be looking at things that we should be asking contracted parties to keep track of, so that we could have data in the policy making process. Along the way, the tone has changed somewhat. I haven’t looked at the current document, so I’m not quite sure where we are today, but I think that’s something to keep in mind. It’s fine to say we should only make policy based on real data, but we need access to the real data that we’re going to make the policy on. That’s something I think we have to look very carefully on when we look at this particular document. Anyone else with a comment on this? No? Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Just briefly - as you probably know, I’ve had more attendance than the Co Chairs in this particular Working Party - I’m quite comfortable with the tone and where we are. There’s a plan for not only a pilot, but more importantly to build into the normal scheme of events as a basis from the pilot, appropriate funding models, so there can be a third-party acquisition, as required, and anonymized acquisition, as required, of  data. What we did during this process was work quite successfully to… Ameliorate is one way of putting it, some of the frequently forwarded issues in terms of commercial and in-confidence materials. There really aren’t too many places in the shadows to hide, providing the data is required. We also don’t want to just do these things for the sheer joy of doing them. I’m quite happy with where we’re up to, and I do know Maureen and I should have had a conversation about this, and she’s just launching into her [unclear 00:13:40] and I’m just surfacing from it. Or maybe we’re both surfacing from it, so we might actually get together. I hear where you’re coming from Alan, because you and I suffered through a few of those interesting conversations. But I’m actually relatively, if not totally, comforted that this will work. But more importantly we can iron out any kinks during the funded pilot of five exercises of cases we’ll be doing. By the way, Alan, we did use some of your more memorable reference points on this as case studies during our work.

ALAN GREENBERG: Are you talking about a contractual requirement that will force contracted parties to participate?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Not at this stage, but we’re talking about a development of a set of expectations whereby to not play ball - and we’ve got a couple of people particularly keen to play ball - they would be very much out of step if they didn’t. But they’d also have the ability to take third-party data on board, because it’s a funded model, and of course the funded model makes a huge difference.

3. Hi everyone — my first draft,,.. sorry this is late.. I'd be happy to make any amendments, etc. Please feel free to make suggestions.

The ALAC welcomes being given the opportunity to provide community input into the Initial Report from the GNSO's Working Group with regards to possible recommendations for the use of Data and Metrics for Policy Making.

The ALAC appreciates the need for solutions that will improve the way in which consensus policies are developed, especially in relation to critical registrant, registry and registrar issues. It is desirable that these are addressed within a working culture that is open and transparent;  collects data in an environment that ensures confidentiality and anonymity; and subsequently encourages better informed, fact-based policy development and decision-making.

All parties involved in GNSO decision-making must recognise the benefit and value of relevant baseline data and metrics to the policy development process, especially at the initial stages of scoping, understanding and describing a problem or issue. Because of the importance of engaging all parties into the new process,the ALAC supports the possible need to employ an independent third party in order to address any concerns relating to the collection, anonymization and aggregation of data.  Fact-based deliberations and decision-making will enable critical issues to now be prioritised appropriately based on tangible evidence rather than "gut feeling" or anecdotal examples.

The ALAC supports the introduction of a "pilot"  where working groups will be able to submit proposals or ideas whereby the impact of fact-based data and metrics collection can become the basis for the initial identification and analysis of issues and/or problems.  We also support the view that any funding required to implement the pilot should be considered an investment in the improvement of the policy process rather than a cost against budget.

The ALAC supports the revision of the templates for the Issue Report, Charter and Final Report to update earlier WG guidelines and also the development of a decision tree to help to determine the best avenue to request additional data and metrics. The development of a Policy Development Process Manual, which will include the "Metrics Request Tree and Form", will ensure consistency of both process and practice.

Establishing a framework for distributing information through early outreach to other SOs and ACs  and other related organisations, will facilitate broader qualitative input as well as support a  culture of collaboration between our organisations.  This will not only contribute to continuous improvement being fully integrated into the policy development process but also encourages the potential of an Open Data culture across ICANN.

4. Short and to the point, this Draft covers all the issues I would think of,  so has my support...  Thanks Maureen 

5. I just and only read the proposed statement written by Maureen and it seems a good way to go.
    I just want to suggest that we add some reference to possibly turn ICANN (all it's components) in an OPEN DATA culture.
    Thanks Maureen 

1. Sebastien Bachollet and Maureen Hilyard, perhaps ICANN's KPI dashboard will interest you: https://www.icann.org/progress. This beta version was just launched this past Friday, August 28. 

2. I strongly support Sebastien's proposal that the ALAC recommend that ICANN acculturate an Open Data culture

-Carlton

1. Just to fully support Sebastien's comment which is in line with ATLAS II Recommendation 39 - "ICANN should encourage “open data” best practices that foster re-use of the information by any third party."

6. Thank you Sebastian and Cheryl. I agree that the changes that the GNSO makes to their processes should be noted as positive potentials for the development of improvements in the communication processes of other SOs and ACs and perhaps elsewhere in ICANN. I have adapted my original statement above to include your suggestion as well as made other slight amendments - underlined to indicate the changes.

1. Hi Maureen. I moved your latest version (I saw you modified it in the comment section) under 'First Draft Submitted' for easy reference. 

7. Jonathan Zuck has provided a full update and explanation of the recommendations on today's GNSO Council call.

Slides: http://gnso.icann.org/en/correspondence/presentation-dmpm-03sep15-en.pdf

Recommended for any ALAC member who wishes to catch up quickly on the contents of the report.

8. Jonathan's ppt is a great summary. 

9. Agree with Maureen's draft and also agree that the power point is a really good summary