You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 24 Next »

Attendees: 

Members:  Alan Greenberg, Alice Munyua, Athina Fragkouli, Becky Burr, Bruce Tonkin, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Eberhard Lisse, Finn Petersen, Fiona Asonga, Izumi Okutani, James Bladel, Jordan Carter, Jorge Villa, Julie Hammer, Leon Sanchez, Lyman Chapin, Maarten Simon, Mathieu Weill, Olga Cavalli, Pär Brumark, Robin Gross, Samantha Eisner, Sébastien Bachollet, Steve DelBianco, Thomas Rickert, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Tracy Hackshaw  (27)

Participants:  Adebunmi Akinbo, Andrew Harris, Anne Aikman-Scalese, Antonia Chu, Ashley Heineman, Avri Doria, Bruno Lanvin, Chris Disspain, Damien Coudeville, David McAuley, Desire Miloshevic, Edward Morris, Emmanuel Adjovi, Erika Mann, Farzaneh Badii, George Sadowsky, Greg Shatan, James Gannon, Jonathan Zuck, Jorge Cancio, Julie Hammer, Kavouss Arasteh, Keith Drazek, Konstantinos Komaitis, Laurent Ferrali, Lise Fuhr, Maciej Tomaszewski, Malcolm Hutty, Markus Kummer, Maura Gambasssi, Mike Chartier, Olivier Muron, Pam Little, Paul Rosenzweig, Pedro da Silva, Phil Buckingham, Rafael Perez Galindo, Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Sabine Meyer, Seun Ojedeji, Sivasubramanian Muthusamy, Thomas de Haan, Thomas Schneider, Tom Dale, Vrickson Acosta, Wisdom Donkor, Wolfgang Kleinwächter, Yasuichi Kitamura   (48)

Advisors:  Jan Scholte, Lee Bygrave, Willie Currie

Legal Counsel:  Holly Gregory, Michael Clark, Rosemary Fei, Stephanie Petit

Staff:  Adam Peake, Bart Boswinkel, Bernard Turcotte, Berry Cobb, Brenda Brewer, Grace Abuhamad, Hillary Jett, Mike Brennan, Theresa Swinehart

Apologies:  Giovanni Seppia, Martin Boyle, Roelof Meijer, Suzanne Radell, Matthew Shears, Julia Wolman, Nell Minow, Valerie D'Costa

**Please let Brenda know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**

Transcript

Recording

Proposed Agenda

11:00-12:00 – Stress Test Work Party updates

Relevant documents :  Updates stress tests reflecting public comments (please note some late inclusions could be added after the July 15 ST-WP call)

Notes

These high-level notes are designed to help you navigate through content of the call and do not substitute in any way the transcript.

Stress Tests Work Party Update

• 26 stress tests were published in the original draft
  • 9 new stress tests added based on Public Comment
  • 11 comments received directly on the Stress Tests section in Public Comment, + NTIA letter/ Larry Strickling blog, + Board memo with 2 new stress tests (20 June)

Analyzed CCWG discussions, public comments, NTIA letter, Board memo: 

• Added 2 stress tests suggested by Chris Disspain involving California courts. pp 25-26
  • Edited ST 20 per comment from RySG
  • Added 2 stress tests suggested by Post & Kehl. pp.27-28
  • Added a stress test on “rogue voting”. p.29
  • Added all 4 of the NTIA suggested stress tests.  See pages 30 – 33 
  • NTIA-1: Test preservation of the multistakeholder model if individual ICANN AC/SOs opt out of having votes in community empowerment mechanisms. 
  • NTIA-2: Address the potential risk of internal capture. ST 12 and 13 partly address capture by external parties, but not for capture by internal parties in an AC/SO. 
  • NTIA-3: Barriers to entry for new participants. 
  • NTIA-4: Unintended consequences of “operationalizing” groups that to date have been advisory in nature (e.g. GAC) 
  • Added two questions from the Board-Legal memo of Jun 20
  • Reliance on IRP so need to verify ICANN must agree to binding

Stress tests that are relevant to IANA are outlined on Page 3

Documents Presented

Chat Transcript

Brenda Brewer: (7/17/2015 03:58) Welcome to CCWG ACCT Meeting # 41, Session 2 on 17 July!  Please note that chat sessions are being archived and follow the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior: http://www.icann.org/en/news/in-focus/accountability/expected-standards 

Brenda Brewer: (03:59) On Break until 11:05 ish.

James Gannon [GNSO-NCSG]: (04:17) Emphasis on the ish =)

Seun Ojedeji: (04:21) Has the meeting started?

Tom Dale (GAC Secretariat): (04:21) We are on UCB (Universal Coffee Break) time.

Seun Ojedeji: (04:21) I can't hear anything on audio?

Seth Johnson (I'm Differance)  :-): (04:21) me neither

James Gannon [GNSO-NCSG]: (04:21) Sheparding of the members is occuring

James Gannon [GNSO-NCSG]: (04:21) Back into the room

Seun Ojedeji: (04:22) Okay audio back. Thanks

Grace Abuhamad: (04:26) Here is the link to STWP doc: https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/54690279/15.%20Section%208%20Stress%20Tests%20-%20updated%2014-Jul.pdf?api=v2

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) ALAC Member AP Region: (04:28) thx /grace

Grace Abuhamad: (04:32) Here is the link to the blog: http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2015/stakeholder-proposals-come-together-icann-meeting-argentina

nigel hickson: (04:38) @Grace - this is really excellent for us remote folks; thanks so much.

arasteh: (04:38) I do not understand the objectives of NTIA question 4?

Alice Munyua (GAC): (04:42) Question 4 is a fair question and would change the way the GAC operates

Alice Munyua (GAC): (04:43) It may also change the impact of the GAC on the ICANN  MS approach

arasteh: (04:44) Does it mean that if GAC opts to retain its current status as AC providing advice it will be excluded to exercise any of the 6 powers ( except removal of individual Board Mmember as they do not designate any) ),together with 

arasteh: (04:44) other SOI and AC to exercise any of these poiwers?

arasteh: (04:44) Interesting questioin?

Alice Munyua (GAC): (04:45) And agree with Chris regarding the complexity of GAC

arasteh: (04:45) GAC expressed some /serious concerns aboiut Stress Test 18?

arasteh: (04:47) WE SHOIULD NOT UNDERMINE THE ROLE OF ANY so AND ac INCLUDING gac

Paul Rosenzweig (Heritage): (04:47) @ Chris -- Indeed they do, but in no instance that I can think of would they be WORSE off than they are now.  They currently have none of these powers and will continue to give advice to the Board so???

Alice Munyua (GAC): (04:48) Agree. We should ot undermine the role of any SO/AC but we also need to understand the complexities of voting mechanisms for the GAC and the strucural challanges

Alice Munyua (GAC): (04:48) structural

David McAuley: (04:49) Thanks to Cheryl, Steve and ST team

Seth Johnson (I'm Differance): (04:50) Got a question . . .

Seth Johnson (I'm Differance): (04:50) (Hand up)

Leon Sanchez (Co-chair ALAC): (04:50) @Seth we'll come to you next

Becky Burr: (04:50) Alice - some part of that question is totally out of our hands.  If the GAC determines that it cannot participate in any voting mechanism, should we abandon the voting mechanism altogether? 

Mark Carvell  GAC - UK Govt: (04:50) @Chris - thank you for recounting the challenges for governments. Soem like UK are takignadvice and of course we governments  may likely individually report back with different positions on participation or not in new voting-based entities and mechanisms etc.

Grace Abuhamad: (04:50) @Seth -- we hear you

Grace Abuhamad: (04:51) we will fix echo

Alice Munyua (GAC): (04:52) Becky agree the questions should be adderssed by the GAC and as mentioned by my UK colleaque, GAC members will repotr back on participation or not in any voting mechanism/s proposed

Becky Burr: (04:52) ok, thanks.

Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]: (04:52) See page 3 of the updated ST doc for a list of STs that affect work of the CWG

Avri Doria: (04:54) Can the NTIA be sued today?

David McAuley: (04:55) losing audio

David McAuley: (04:55) audio back

Becky Burr: (04:56) @avri - can NTIA be sued for what?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) ALAC Member AP Region: (04:57) your audio is not commingle through ATM @seth

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) ALAC Member AP Region: (04:57) hold please

Seth Johnson (I'm Differance): (04:59) When will the CCWG-Jurisdiction doc be discussed?

Grace Abuhamad: (04:59) @Seth -- link to the agenda : https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/54690279/CCWG-ACCT%20Paris%20Agenda_FINAL.pdf?api=v2

Finn Petersen, GAC - DK: (05:00) we have to return to st 18 under the GAC input point on the agenda

Seth Johnson (I'm Differance): (05:00) I'm asking about accountability in the form of recourse to fundamental rights

Mathieu Weill: (05:00) @Seth : the agenda items related to Governments related discussions would be a good time. feel free to put your questions in writing in advance

Seth Johnson (I'm Differance): (05:00) Thanks, Mathieu

Mathieu Weill: (05:00) @Finn: Agree

Seth Johnson (I'm Differance): (05:01) Not talkign about statutory powers

Seth Johnson (I'm Differance): (05:01) Talking fundamental rights

Seth Johnson (I'm Differance): (05:01) But moving on . . .

Seth Johnson (I'm Differance): (05:03) This is critical to confidence in the transition

Seth Johnson (I'm Differance): (05:03) :-|

Malcolm Hutty: (05:03) the important thing to remember about stress tests is that they are a tool to help us understand whether our proposal will win consensus support in the broader community

Seth Johnson (I'm Differance): (05:03) :-)

Seth Johnson (I'm Differance): (05:03) See above

Seth Johnson (I'm Differance): (05:04) I am characterizing the transition.  You have to deal with what happens.  Sorry.  :-)

Jordan Carter (ccTLDs): (05:04) WS1 is already "slimmed" down.

Malcolm Hutty: (05:04) every stress test was somebody's idea of "I cannot support a proposal(and so would not support transition) it hat fails this test"

Becky Burr: (05:04) they are also designed to understand whether our proposal will meet the NTIA requirements for transition.  In this regard, USG said that ST 18 is "appropriate and necessary" to meet the requirements

James Gannon [GNSO-NCSG]: (05:05) WA1 is lean, lets ensure we are not cutting meat

Seun Ojedeji: (05:05) I think whatever element required by CWG would be based on focusing on an accountability model. So its still comes back to determining what accountability model needs to be used going forward

Izumi Okutani (ASO): (05:05) Steve, I understood the status of the stress test and I wasn't sure if my suggestion was clearly passed through. Was wondering if there could be stress test conducted on the different models, to compare how they could affect ICANN's stabilities

Grace Abuhamad: (05:05) LUNCH BREAK -- back in 1 hour.

Seun Ojedeji: (05:06) I hope this meeting would have a direction on what model to focus on by tommorrow

• No labels