ad the original announcement, please see:

WEBINAR: Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability (CCWG-Accountability): Presentation on the Draft Report for Public Comment

The Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability was established to initiate a related process to the IANA Stewardship Transition process to ensure that ICANN's accountability and transparency commitments to the global Internet community are maintained and enhanced in the absence of its historical contractual relationship with the U.S. Government.

This report for public comment represents the current work product of the CCWG-Accountability. It is focused on draft Work Stream 1 recommendations (Work Stream 1 is the CCWG-Accountability's work on changes to ICANN's accountability arrangements which must be in place, or committed to, prior to theIANA Stewardship transition), which were the focus of the first five months of work (from December 2014 until May 2015). These recommendations are not presented as the consensus of the CCWG-Accountability at this point. The CCWG-Accountability is seeking confirmation of its approach and guidance upon several options.

The CCWG-Accountability will hold two identical webinars at different times to facilitate participation across time zones. The webinars will take place on:

  • 11 May from 11:00 – 12:30 UTC (time zone converter here)
  • 11 May from 19:00 – 20:30 UTC (time zone converter here)

Download the webinar slides here --> CCWG-Webinar-Slides.pdf

Webinar Slides Translation: Pусский | العربية | Español | 中文 | Français | Português


Webinar 1 - 11 May 11:00 UTC

Attendees:  Alain Bidron, Bob Ochieng, Carlos Raul Gutierrez, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Christina Laybourn, Christopher Leibundguth, David McAuley, Feng Guo, Gema Campillos, Goksu Kalkan, James Bladel, Jan Vannieuwehnuyse, JianChuan Zhang, Jon Nevett, Jonathan Robinson, Jordan Carter, Jorge Villa, Kate Perl, Kavouss Arasteh, Keith Drazek, Kelvin Wong, Laena Rahim, Leon Sanchez, Liana Teo, Manal Ismail, Mark Carvell, Marketa Novakova, Markus Kummer, Mathieu Weill, Maura Gambassi, Michael Flemming, Michael Niebel, Nathalie Coupet, Olof Nordling, Peter Vergote, Phil Buckingham, Philippe Fouquart, Rahul Sharma, Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Samiran Gupta, Sébastien Bacholette, Shin Yuamasaki, Sorina Teleanu, Steve DelBianco, Susan Payne, Thomas Rickert, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Tomohiro Fujisaki, Yasuichi Kitamura, Yuri Takamatsu, Zheng Song   (51)


Adobe Connect Recording:

MP3 Recording:   EN    ES    AR    FR    PT    RU    ZH

Alice Jansen:  Welcome to the CCWG-Accountability Webinar Session 1! Chat sessions are being archived and follow the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior:

  Tijani BEN JEMAA:Hi Alice

  Tijani BEN JEMAA:if you can make the operator call me, that would be very kind of you

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):Alice, can't use audio in this presentation format?

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):Or see attendees?

  Tijani BEN JEMAA:neither me

  Grace Abuhamad:Hi Tijani -- the operator will call you in 1 min. We have dial outs scheduled for 7min before the start time

  Tijani BEN JEMAA:ok Grace thanks

  Steve DelBianco   [GNSO - CSG]:rest of us need to dial-in to the bridge, right?

  arasteh:Dear  ICANN STAFF

  Carlos Raul G.:May I ask for a dial out to +506 8837 7176 please

  arasteh:May you pls advise to dial me up on 0041 79 325 65 34 for this webinar

  Brenda Brewer:Noted Kavouss.

  Brenda Brewer:Noted Carlos

  Carlos Raul G.:Danke!

  Gema Campillos:Hello, I can´t join using the mic in my computer.

  Jan Vannieuwenhuyse:hallo everybody

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):Nobody can use the mic in their computer

  Gema Campillos:Do I need to join by phone?

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):9001 # is I think the code to use

  Yasuichi Kitamura (At-Large):Not started yet?

  Yasuichi Kitamura (At-Large):hi, all

  Thomas Rickert, CCWG Co-Chair:We will start in one minute

  Carlos Raul G.:not vey well

  David McAuley:Can hear Mathieu

  Markus Kummer:Hello everyone

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):Yes you can be heard

  Alice Jansen:This session is now being recorded

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):Hi everyone

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):If you are not speaking could you please use MUTE

  Jon Nevett:Have the slides been sent to the list?

  Sébastien (ALAC):There is echo

  Phil Buckingham:Sebastien  +1  getting worse

  Keith Drazek:Yes, I'm hearing the echo too.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:please mute your phines and comuers if you are not speaking

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:computers

  Keith Drazek:operators, please mute lines


  arasteh:are these slides available ?

  Alice Jansen:Hello Kavouss,

  Carlos Raul G.:Adam Peake just distributed a copy to the list

  Tijani BEN JEMAA:Thank you for the link

  Yasuichi Kitamura (At-Large):I've just got it, thank you.

  Gema Campillos:If the GAC doesn´t become an unincorporated association, would it be able to participate in the process for recalling the whole Board as explained in one of the previous slides?

  Rinalia Abdul Rahim:Questions: 1. If not all the SO/ACs form unincorporated associations, how would that affect the Community Mechanism, specifically its enforcement? 2. What is a reasonable timeframe for the reconsideration of budget/strat-ops plan? 3. What does a caretaker board look like?  What would be the scope of their powers? 

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):Thanks Rinalia. 3) is an implementation question but would be under a narrowly constructed "caretaker" mandate so neither the caretaker board nor the executives could act wrongly in that period.

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):On 2), the timeframe the CCWG proposed is within two weeks of adoption. We have the intention to look at the broader question of community input into these planning processes in Work Stream 2 (post-transition) so that the need to use these powers becomes even less than it might be today.

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):On 1), I leave that to Leon.

  Aaron:An association has already been established... there's no need to recreate what is already in existance.

  Aaron:2) why can't the powers proposed be implemented without the unincorporated associations?

  Manal Ismail (GAC-ICG):Are there any criteria for an unincorporated association to be established?

  Mathieu Weill, ccNSO, co-chair:@Manal: it is VERY open and easy. No specific criteria

  Rinalia Abdul Rahim:Comment: In 4a, the limits set to prevent abuse doesn't specify actual limits and does not match the limits in 4b.

  Manal Ismail (GAC-ICG):what will be the role of SOs/ACs which choose not to be an unincoporated association with respect to the different Community Powers for ?

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):Rinalia: the work hasn't been done for the SO / AC decisions

  Manal Ismail (GAC-ICG):*Community Powers?

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):My personal view is that the thresholds should be identical across the appointing bodies.

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):Manal: my understanding as one of the rapporteurs is that they will still be able to participate, but that's one of the areas we need more legal advice, and also to understand the desires of those non-appointing ACs - do they *want* to be part of exercising those powers?

  Gema Campillos:The new IRP looks very well! But, couldn´t the community participate in the selection of panelists through a public comment period, for instance, instead for coming at the end of the process just to say "yes" or "no" to the selection made by the Board?

  Manal Ismail (GAC-ICG):Thanks Jordan .. any idea if there are any special criteria for establishing an UA or is it up to each and every SO/AC?

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):Manal, I suspect that is a discussion we need to have after learning whether SOs and ACs want the powers

  Manal Ismail (GAC-ICG):Question: who decides whether it is a 1-person panel or a 3-person panel?

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):if they don't want them, nobody will need UAs :)

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member):If they do, we will need to work out how to make sure that the community influence is balanced fairly, as per the proposal, and how we can manage that if some don't wnat to organise in the suggested way

  Gema Campillos:What does it mean "rebuttal opportunity"? That the complainant can discuss the verdict?

  Yuri TAKAMATSU:<question>Would you explain the difference between IRP and Ombudsman?

  Susan Payne - Valideus:Regarding the Reconsideration process - is there a means to address Board member conflict of interest - for example that those who made an original decision should not be the ones reconsiidering that decision

  Susan Payne - Valideus:<question> sorry - forgot to say "question"

  Michael Flemming:+1

  Nathalie Coupet:Yes

  Gema Campillos:It´s soon to answer the general questions your are asking. We need to go through the 150 pages or so. Sorry!

  Mathieu Weill, ccNSO, co-chair:@Gema : understood of course ;-)

  Nathalie Coupet:What was the scope of the stess test?

  Mathieu Weill, ccNSO, co-chair:@Nathalie : as wide as possible, from financials to legal aspects.

  Mathieu Weill, ccNSO, co-chair:Let us know if yosu find missing aspect

  Alice Jansen:Link to public comment period -

  Susan Payne - Valideus:<question> on this timeline when does the actual transition occur?  will we have the work on the Implementation project planning before or not until after?

  Nathalie Coupet:Could youprovide documents on how these stress tests were performed?

  Mathieu Weill, ccNSO, co-chair:@Susan: end of IANA contract happens after implementation. Made clear by NTIA

  Mathieu Weill, ccNSO, co-chair:But NTIA might consider proposals and "green light" them before

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Thanks  evryone... please give us feedback  on all this...

  Susan Payne - Valideus:@Mathieu - thanks

  Markus Kummer:Thanks and bye

  Manal Ismail (GAC-ICG):Thanks .. Bye ..

  Leon Sanchez (Co-Chair-ALAC):Thanks everyone

Webinar 2 - 11 May 19:00 UTC

Attendees:  Alwin Wilbur, Andrew Harris, Anupam Agrawal, Barbara Wanner, Becky Burr, Carolyn Nguyen, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, David McAuley, David Post, Deniz Aydin, Don Moody, Frazaneh Badii, Gabi, Gary Campbell, Greg Shatan, Holly Raiche, James Baskin, Jim Prendergast, Joe Tritico, John Demco, Jonathan Robinson, Jordan, Carter, Jorge Villa, Joseph Wright, Joy Liddicoat, Julia Charvolen, Kasie Gorosh, Kathleen Aldreich, Keith Drazek, Larisa Gurnick, Laura Covington, Leon Sanchez, Manal Ismail, Mark Buell, Mary Wong, Mathieu Weill, Nell Minow, Olga Cavalli, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Pär Brumark, Pearl Liang, Phil Buckingham, Ron Sherwood, Samantha Eisner, Sara Bockey, Sébastien Bacholette, Staffan Jonson, Steve DelBianco, Steve Metalitz, Taylor Bentley, Thomas Rickert, Tom Dale, Yaovi Atohoun, Vrikson Acosta   (55)


Adobe Connect Recording:

MP3 Recording:  EN   ES   AR   FR   PT   RU   ZH

Adobe Connect Chat:  

  Brenda Brewer:  Welcome to the CCWG-Accountability Webinar Session 2!   Chat sessions are being archived and follow the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior:


  Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina: (13:47) hi brenda for how long is the webinar scheduled?

  Brenda Brewer: (13:50) Hi Olga.  Scheduled for 90 minutes.

  Pär Brumark (GAC Niue): (13:54) Hi all!

  Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina: (13:54) thanks Brenda, hi to all!

  Leon Sanchez (Co-Chair-ALAC): (13:55) Hello everyone!

  Josh Baulch: (13:56) Please mute your computers :)

  Leon Sanchez (Co-Chair-ALAC): (13:56) I remind you to mute your lines

  Leon Sanchez (Co-Chair-ALAC): (13:56) if you're not speaking

  Leon Sanchez (Co-Chair-ALAC): (13:56) thanks

  Becky Burr: (13:56) hello everyone

  James BAskin: (13:57) could one of the presenters speak so we can test our reception?

  Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina: (13:57) I hear only some noise

  Pär Brumark (GAC Niue): (13:59) Is the Computer headset option not on in Adobe connect? I only get the phone option for sound.

  Josh Baulch: (13:59) You should be able to select Listen Only

  Gary Campbell: (13:59) Same problem here

  Josh Baulch: (14:00) Try again

  James BAskin: (14:00) can one of the presenters say something?

  Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina: (14:01) I hear now thanks

  James BAskin: (14:01) thank you for speaking

  9001: (14:01) Me too

  Pär Brumark (GAC Niue): (14:01) Listen only is the only option.

  Josh Baulch: (14:02) @ Pär - when it comes time for Q&A, I can enable your mic to speak

  Josh Baulch: (14:02) It is being recorded

  Pär Brumark (GAC Niue): (14:03) It´s OK Josh. I will just listen or chat. Thx anyway!

  Staffan Jonson: (14:06) Hi all

  Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina: (14:09) will the slides be available in other languages? or are they?

  Mathieu Weill, ccNSO, co-chair: (14:11) @Olga: will be, but difficult due to graphics

  Holly Raiche: (14:13) @ Brenda - mpy phone cutt out - could someone call me again - thanks

  Brenda Brewer: (14:14) yes Holly

  Brenda Brewer: (14:18) Jordan is not on Audio.  We will try calling him.

  Brenda Brewer: (14:20) We are not able to reach Jordan by phone at this time.

  steve metalitz: (14:26) QUESTION:  will  the presenters be addressing the allocation of votes, the petition threshold, and the voting threshold as shown on previous slide? 

  Thomas Rickert, CCWG Co-Chair: (14:26) yes, Steve

  Nell Minow: (14:28) QUESTION: Are there provisions for changes in the make-up of the participant SO/AC organizations?  Are there any qualifying requirements  for the internal governance of SO/ACs?

  Holly Raiche: (14:29) The issue was covered in the CWG presentation, but could someoneexplain the relationship beween the membership association(s) and the Board - thanks

  Greg Shatan: (14:31) My understanding is that an SO/AC that chooses not to create an unincoroporated assocation would be left of the membership structure; they may not be left out of the "empowered community."

  Holly Raiche: (14:32) Thanks Greg

  Greg Shatan: (14:33) @Holly, each member  unincorporated association is affiliated with an SO/AC and would be used to exercise that SO/AC's right to appoint board member(s) (if any).

  Farzaneh Badii: (14:34) Thanks for clarifying that Greg, that was my understanding too.  So even if they decide not to be a part of UA they can still participate through the empowered community.

  Manal Ismail: (14:35) Question: Theoretically speaking, could govs establish an unincorporated association?

  Holly Raiche: (14:37) Can  one of the groups vote to remove an individual from another constituncy?

  Anupam Agrawal: (14:38) @Manal - Interesting Question..I think it will be difficult for Governments to do so.

  Samantha Eisner: (14:38) @Manal, I don't think that there's anything under CA law that would prohibit governments from coming together to establish an unincorporated association, but clearly that's an issue for the GAC members to consider - if their governments would be willing to do so and if there are legal bars to that within country

  Manal Ismail: (14:39) @Samantha .. sure I was just asking whether this is doable in principle ..

  Holly Raiche: (14:40) Thanks

  Joy Liddicoat: (14:40) Thanks  - a very useful overview

  steve metalitz: (14:41) QUESTION:  why is it recommended that only the NomCom can remove a director selected by NomCom?  Is there any mchanism for the community to do so? 

  Greg Shatan: (14:41) The unincorporated association only needs two members.  It can then be governed by the SO/AC.

  steve metalitz: (14:44) @Mathieu, thanks for response.

  Becky Burr: (14:45) i'm on the phone but having audio

  Josh Baulch: (14:45) @ Becky you are unmuted

  Farzaneh Badii: (14:48) Question: Could you clarify if it is final and binding ? Can it be appealed in court based on merits?

  Brenda Brewer: (14:48) Jordan Carter is now connected.

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member): (14:48) Dear all, my apologies as WP1 rapporteur that I missed the first half of the call.

  Mathieu Weill, ccNSO, co-chair: (14:50) @Farazaneh : yes, final as well (arbitration style)

  Farzaneh Badii: (14:50) Thanks Mathieu.

  Jim Prendergast: (14:58) Would the findings of the Reconsideration Request be binding or would the Board have the opportuniyt to reject as it curently does?

  Keith Drazek: (14:58) Please mute phones and computers. Getting backgound noise.

  Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (15:06) excellent work

  steve metalitz: (15:06) QUESTIOn:  Beyond reviews, were any other aspects of the AoC considered to be brought over into ICANN by-laws?

  Mathieu Weill, ccNSO, co-chair: (15:07) @Steve: the group proposes to incorporate a number of principles into the fundamental bylaws

  Mathieu Weill, ccNSO, co-chair: (15:08) See section 3.1 of draft report

  Greg Shatan: (15:13) @Steve, virtually all of ICANN's commitments in the AoC are being brought over into the Bylaws. 

  Kasie Gorosh: (15:16) Are you able to hear me? Perhaps there is trouble with audio as well.

  Mathieu Weill, ccNSO, co-chair: (15:16) Can't hear you

  Josh Baulch: (15:18) Yup

  Josh Baulch: (15:20) If you have a question on the phone, you can also unmute by selecting *7 (star key and 7 Key).

  steve metalitz: (15:20) QUESTION: Could you review (if you considered) what would be the impact of abstention or non-voting on meeting the various voting thresholds you described?   

  steve metalitz: (15:23) @Jordan thanks for response.

  Jordan Carter (.nz, ccTLD member): (15:24) NP Steve

  Farzaneh Badii: (15:24) I have a question on independent review. Have we discussed how we can make the panel independent if they get paid by ICANN ?

  Farzaneh Badii: (15:27) thanks

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (15:27) thanks for attending everyone... please remember to send us your feedback on all this...

  steve metalitz: (15:27) Thanks all for an informative presentation.

  Anupam Agrawal: (15:27) What happens when a SO/AC  decides to go with an option other than UA or UA other than California Law?

  Holly Raiche: (15:28) Thanks everyone

  Mathieu Weill, ccNSO, co-chair: (15:28) @Anupam : this legal entity could become a member as well

  Mathieu Weill, ccNSO, co-chair: (15:28) Feel free to further engage via email if you have further Q on that

  Greg Shatan: (15:29) @Mathieu, Anupam: true so long as the option was a "legal person."

  Mathieu Weill, ccNSO, co-chair: (15:29) correct Greg, thks !

  Anupam Agrawal: (15:29) Thanks

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (15:29) bye for now...

  Staffan Jonson: (15:29) Thank You all

  Manal Ismail: (15:29) Thanks everyone !! Bye ..

  Thomas Rickert, CCWG Co-Chair: (15:29) Thanks all!

  Anupam Agrawal: (15:29) Bye Everyone!!


  • No labels