Attendees: 

Members:  Avri Doria, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Donna Austin, Eduardo Diaz, Elise Lindeberg, Graeme Bunton, Greg Shatan, Lise Fuhr, Jaap Akkerhuis, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Paul Kane, Robert Guerra, Seun Ojedeji, Staffan Jonson   (14)

Participants: Alan Greenberg, Alissa Cooper, Allan MacGillivray, Andrew Sullivan, Brenden Kuerbis, Carlton Samuels, Christopher Wilkinson, Chuck Gomes, Guru Acharya, Konstantinos Komaitis, Kurt Pritz, Maarten Simon, Mark Carvell, Mary Uduma, Matthew Shears, Milton Mueller, Philip Corwin, Rudi Vansnick, Stephanie Duchesneau, Suzanne Woolf   (20)

Staff:  Grace Abuhamad, Marika Konings, Alain Durand, Bart Boswinkel, Bernard Turcotte, Berry Cobb, Brenda Brewer, 

Apologies:  Jonathan Robinson, James Gannon; Sivasubramanian Muthusamy

**Please let Brenda know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**

Agenda

1. Logistics, Timetable & Planning

2. Design Team Status & Discussion

a. Template structure

b. DT Status

c. CCWG Stress Testing

d. Red Team 

3. Draft Transition Plan 3.0

4. Status of Legal Advice 

5. AOB

6. Closing Remarks

Notes

Jonathan sends apologies for this call 

1. Logistics, Timetable & Planning

• Next couple of weeks are essential for CWG work
  • Client Committee weekly call is on Thursday, so legal advice will be reviewed on that call. 
  • DTs have deadline for submission on Friday, so the CWG plenary meeting on Thursday has been cancelled to allow for full dedication to DT work. CWG plenary sessions will pick up during the high intensity meetings on 13-14 April. 
  • Plan for the high intensity meetings is to start around 11:00 UTC with three 2h sessions on Monday and two 2h sessions on Tuesday. 
  • Document revision will be between 15-20 April, and public comment publication on 20 April 

Action (Brenda): send calendar invites for all meetings through June (in batches so as to not overload email)

2. Design Team Status & Discussion

a. Template structure

Each DT should aim to have a high level summary to include in the short form propoosal. For now, the group will continue to focus on Priority 1 issues for now. 

Action (Chairs): Review and assess whether priority 2 are needed in order to respond to ICG request  

b. DT Status

DT-C on track and planning for call tomorrow

DT-A will need to work on proposal with IANA team. Aiming for design principles

DT-F will start working anyway, despite template not yet being approved

Action (Staff): add Chuck Gomes, Cheryl Landgon-Orr, Suzanne Woolf to DTF

DT-L has a new lead (Matthew Shears), since James Gannon has excused himself for the time being. 

DT-M has a final call on Friday. 

DT-O had Xavier Calvez on call. and sent the DT-O an itemization of IANA operational costs for ICANN. Group aims to present 
recommendations by Friday (perhaps even Thursday!). 

DT-N is proceeding apace and will likely have something for the deadline.

DT-B, received the results of the survey of ccTLD managers on the need for an appeal mechanism for 
ccTLDs. The 'top line' result is that the response rate was extremely low, less than 30 responses from a community of over 240.

c. CCWG Stress Testing

Cheryl agreed to do this since she is lead on the CCWG for the Stress Tests Work Party. Drafts are available 
here: https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/ST-WP+Draft+Documents 

d. Red Team 

Scope outlined in section 4 of draft. Comments/edits welcome. The work for Red Team will be drafted as committee of the whole with inclusion of the relevant stress tests as determined by Cheryl and her team. 

3. Draft Transition Plan 3.0

• An appendix, including a glossary of acronyms and defined terms will be developed. 
  • Section III starts with summary recommendations that may need to be reworded and/or changed based on the results of the DT work. 
  • Throughout section III, highlighted areas indicate placeholders for high-level recommendations (details will be included in annex). 
  • Section IV is dependent on the outcome of the DT work, but there are already areas where some DT information may be applicable. Staff have noted these areas, so please suggest text and look into this with your DT during DT meetings this week or through DT mailing lists. 
  • Section IV includes a review of SAC 069 (complete, but needs to be incorporated into text) and of the relevant CCWG Stress Tests (outstanding Action item for Cheryl). 

4. Status of Legal Advice 

Draft received from Sidley, but not yet discussed with them. This will be a subject for discussion on 13-14 April call. 

Action (all): send questions on mailing list by Thursday 13:00 UTC for Client Committee call

5. AOB

Coordination call between CCWG and CWG was on Thursday. With holiday, not much update since, but there is a call again on Friday. 

Aim to finalize principles by Friday. 

6. Closing Remarks

Action Items

Action (Brenda): send calendar invites for all meetings through June (in batches so as to not overload email)

Action (Chairs): Review and assess whether priority 2 are needed in order to respond to ICG request  

Action (Staff): add Chuck Gomes, Cheryl Landgon-Orr, Suzanne Woolf to DTF

Action (all): send questions on mailing list by Thursday 13:00 UTC for Client Committee call

Transcript

Transcript CWG IANA #34 7 April.doc

Transcript CWG IANA #34 7 April.pdf

Recording

The Adobe Connect recording is available here:  https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p9o565cppxe/

The audio recording is available here:  http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-cwg-iana-07apr15-en.mp3

Chat Transcript

Brenda Brewer: (4/7/2015 11:36) Hello and welcome to the CWG IANA Meeting #34 on 7 April.

Lise Fuhr: (11:51) Hi

Graeme Bunton - RrSG: (11:56) Hello All

Seun Ojedeji: (11:58) Hello everyone

Matthew Shears: (11:58) hi

jaap akkerhuis (SSAC): (12:00) Evening

Staffan Jonson: (12:01) Hello All

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC): (12:01) Hello, all

Andrew Sullivan: (12:02) Hello everyone

Alan Greenberg: (12:02) Hello all

Maarten Simon, SIDN: (12:02) Hi

Mary Uduma: (12:05) Hello All

Bernard Turcotte - staff support: (12:06) hello all

Alan Greenberg (ALAC): (12:07) Has this calendar been distributed? (been on conf calls all day and e-mail backlogged)

Seun Ojedeji: (12:07) Okay if noting can be done about the dates

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (12:07) be really handy ti have those blocks of time IN out calancers ASAP

Elise Lindeberg GAC: (12:07) no questions - but might have problems with attending all of them...

Alan Greenberg (ALAC): (12:08) Thanks.

Matthew Shears: (12:08) @ Elise - same

Grace Abuhamad: (12:08) Yes and it's posted on meetings page

Elise Lindeberg GAC: (12:12) Olivier, good question , - we should just start

Seun Ojedeji: (12:12) Question: Are priority 2s not required for response to ICG?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (12:13) @Seun: I think they are.

Seun Ojedeji: (12:13) okay thanks

Andrew Sullivan: (12:13) At least one of them has been asserted to be a requirement.

Elise Lindeberg GAC: (12:14) Andrew, Yes :)

Seun Ojedeji: (12:14) If they are, then they should be moved to priority 1 as i presume a complete draft proposal is supposed to be released April 20th?

Andrew Sullivan: (12:19) That sounds like a suggestion that we're going to send for public comment a document that isn't complete?

Andrew Sullivan: (12:20) That doesn't sound very hopeful.  Wouldn't the right comment be, "We'll comment when we have a complete proposal"?

Elise Lindeberg GAC: (12:20) Lise, - are you thinking also sendign out the priority 2s on the 20th ?

Milton Mueller: (12:21) :-)

Milton Mueller: (12:22) Scope of work assumes that Verisign remains RZM but process for sending RZ changes has to eb adjuysted

Milton Mueller: (12:22) '...has to be adjusted." Because of the absence of NTIA and the authorization function

Suzanne Woolf: (12:22) Milton +1

Suzanne Woolf: (12:23) it seems this group shouldn't be deciding on the fly that there's nothing to say here

jaap akkerhuis (SSAC): (12:23) Since they were nt doing a lot operational, they hardle would be missed

Donna Austin, RySG: (12:23) Given the decision not to have an 'authorisation process' will this also be considered as part of the work of this team?

Milton Mueller: (12:23) NTIA  _was_ operational

jaap akkerhuis (SSAC): (12:23) But let's have the discussion in the team first won't we?

Suzanne Woolf: (12:24) Jaap: exactly

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (12:24) Donna  that was shy DT-D had to complete before DST-F  could at least 'get to that part'

Seun Ojedeji: (12:24) @Alan isn't that intent similar to that of DT-A

Milton Mueller: (12:24) Alan is right: NTIA - VRSN  Cooperative Agreement is not part of our scope

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (12:25) More of the RIGHTLY qualified with experience people

Donna Austin, RySG: (12:25) Thanks Cheryl

Christopher Wilkinson (CW): (12:25) Yes, but after the transition the new IANA entity will be communicating directly with the Root Zone Maintainer. No? CW

Milton Mueller: (12:26) that would be great, Chuck

Suzanne Woolf: (12:27) my active involvement currently i root server operations, but I can attempt to help out

Milton Mueller: (12:27) I think we need someone who knows the RZM function more than anything else

Avri Doria: (12:27) Chuck saying he will do his best is usually pretty good..  just saying.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (12:28) indeed  @Avri

Suzanne Woolf: (12:28) milton, I'm happy to defer to a preference that I not do more work, but I'm pretty familiar with the technical details and trying to be helpful :)

Milton Mueller: (12:29) join DT-F then

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (12:29) I think you would nbe invaluable @Suzanne

Milton Mueller: (12:30) just curious Suzanne: whose preference is it that you do no more work?

Milton Mueller: (12:30) ;-)

Suzanne Woolf: (12:31) agreeing with your comment that someone in the RZM path is needed :)

Suzanne Woolf: (12:31) guessing that doesn't let me off the hook though

Avri Doria: (12:31) oh, i had interrpetted it as you were already helping them.

Rudi Vansnick: (12:32) sorry being late, had problems loading adobe connect

Alan Greenberg (ALAC): (12:34) For the record, Suzanne is now on DT-F.

Avri Doria: (12:35) that is good.

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (12:37) Hard to understand Allan.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (12:37) Allan McGillivray sounds very far

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (12:38) sounds like the Mic is at one end of the room and he is at the other

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC): (12:38) Allan MacGillivray is in the CIRA submarine at the moment, under the polar ice cap.

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (12:39) :)

Allan MacGillivray: (12:40) On DT-B, I just this morning received the results of the surevy of ccTLD managers on the need for an appeal mechanism for ccTLDs.  The 'top line' result is that the response rate was extremely low, less than 30 responses from a community of over 240.

Avri Doria: (12:40) BTW, DT-N is proceeding apace and will likely have something fo rthe dealdine.

Matthew Shears: (12:42) No longer red team lead

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC): (12:46) Go DT-N!

Lise Fuhr: (12:47) Thank you for update @Allan and @Avri

Avri Doria: (12:50) Welcome to Brown, Greg.

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC): (12:51) I was just passing through.

Christopher Wilkinson (CW): (12:51) Transition Plan & Sidley: I have sent my comments to the List by e-mail. CW

Elise Lindeberg GAC: (12:52) this should be discussed on monday - basic for the rest of our work

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC): (12:52) @CW, noted and thanks.

Milton Mueller: (12:55) I am not sure why we don't start discussing it now.

Milton Mueller: (12:57) ah, ok

Milton Mueller: (12:57) who is the "we"

Milton Mueller: (12:57) hmmm.

Brenden Kuerbis: (12:57) Can't we have Sidley just breif the group?

Christopher Wilkinson (CW): (12:57) Since I doubt that I can join next week I would be glad to open the discussion Now.

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC): (12:58) Sidley is not on this call.

Christopher Wilkinson (CW): (12:58) @MM agree, this time. CW

Avri Doria: (12:58) it is a document well worth reading.  so are we talking about the doc, or talking about talking about the doc.

Milton Mueller: (12:58) I would like to talk about the doc. I have read it though

Milton Mueller: (12:58) maybe others haven't

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC): (12:59) I have read the Sidley document and will send some comments to the list.

Seun Ojedeji: (13:00) Que is there going to be face to face at icann53?

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC): (13:01) @Seun, yes as far as I know

Christopher Wilkinson (CW): (13:01) I think the meeting is not yet over ....

Brenden Kuerbis: (13:01) Greg, saw your comments. do agree there is lot to discuss about role of community w/r/t PTI

Seun Ojedeji: (13:01) okay thanks @Greg

Staffan Jonson: (13:02) I'm happy to be able to read the Sidley document before discussing it

Avri Doria: (13:02) But we cannot speak among oursleves until that has happened?  If not enough people have had a chance to read, it might make sense to delay.

Grace Abuhamad: (13:02) @Seun, @Greg -- we are planning one working session and one public engagement session.

Christopher Wilkinson (CW): (13:02) Perhaps instead of a discussion we could collecdt a few questions that the Client Committee might address with Sidley.

Avri Doria: (13:03) Though discussing things we did not understand correctly, might even give an idea of what to get clarification about.  But again if not enough have read it ...

Grace Abuhamad: (13:04) These sessions would be during the ICANN 53 meeting (not outside the meeting dates). Once the blocks are finalized, I'll circulate the times on the list. I don't have the meeting times yet (team is building the schedule)

Milton Mueller: (13:04) yes, agree that not having them on the call is an issue

Paul Kane: (13:04) I am happy to wait but I don't thei we are asking the lawyers the right question

Lise Fuhr: (13:05) @Paul Kane then ask the questions on the list and on the call

Paul Kane: (13:06) I am happy to follow Lise and  Greg's request

Andrew Sullivan: (13:07) I'm not opposed to taking the discussion to the list, because people can indeed then forward those mails.  I note, however, that it seems to indicate a slight lack   of urgency to delay some of this.

Maarten Simon, SIDN: (13:09) +1 Lise, does not make sense without Sidley being here

Andrew Sullivan: (13:09) I agree that people need to read it

Seun Ojedeji: (13:09) I sure agree with @Andrew on that one as well

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (13:10) bye all  thanks Lise... Talk again soon

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (13:10) Thanks Lise & all.

Matthew Shears: (13:10) thanks!

Seun Ojedeji: (13:10) thanks

Seun Ojedeji: (13:10) bye

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC): (13:10) No sleep next week.

Staffan Jonson: (13:10) Thank You all

Maarten Simon, SIDN: (13:10) bye, thanks Lise

Elise Lindeberg GAC: (13:10) bye :)

Andrew Sullivan: (13:10) bye

Graeme Bunton - RrSG: (13:10) thank you

jaap akkerhuis (SSAC): (13:10) Bye all

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC): (13:10) Bye all.

Brenden Kuerbis: (13:10) bye, thx

Mary Uduma: (13:10) Bye All

Eduardo Diaz - (ALAC): (13:11) Adios.

• No labels