Attendees: 

Subgroup Members:  Avri Doria, Berry Cobb, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Graeme Bunton, Jaap Akkerhuis, Jingkang Yao, Maarten Simon, Malcolm Hutty, Matthew Shears, Milton Mueller, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Peter VanRoste, Philip Corwin, Robert Guerra, Seun Ojedeji, Sivasubramanian Muthusamy, Tomohiro Fujisaki, Wale Bakare, Yasuichi Kitamura

Staff: Bart Boswinkel, Brenda Brewer, Grace Abuhamad, Bernard Turcotte

Apologies

**Please let Grace know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**

Agenda RFP 4 Call -- 23 December at 14:00 UTC

1. Background

2. Work stream #1 – Current Situation
3. Work stream #2 – Describing the transition path
4. Work stream #3 – Testing the proposal
5. Review of timeline & next steps 

Notes & Action Items

Welcome and Roll call

Previous Call Items: Action from last call: "Jaap to follow up with KIm Davies" --> done. Jaap will post URL:  http://www.iana.org/help/nameserver-requirements

Workstreams agreed previous call

Workstream 1

• Agenda item for this call Comments on Workstream 1 as proposed: No comments

Workstream 2

• Agenda item for this call included in slides, comments on work item 2: No comments.
  • Update ALAC proposal: question is transition path included?
  • Proposal submitted in public comment process. Olivier identified several alternative proposals submitted. As to timetable under discussion by ALAC.
  • MM: Inherent problem ICANN internal solution relies on output CCWG Accountability and are subject to Board vote .
  • OCB: Timetable ALAC will include schedule of CCWG. 
  • Accountability work is closely linked to Stewardship work, in particular Workstream 1 of CCWG.
  • In addition NTIA indicated it will not move forward without clarity around accountability.

Coordinator, Need to capture critical elements of transition paths:

How to proceed: are there common elements in transition paths for all proposals?

No comments

Timelines RFP 4

• Presented by staff
  • Current timeline does not include any alternatives.
  • Question for ALAC members to draft high level time line to be included.
  • ACTION OCL: To discuss timeline with his colleagues and send result to the mailing list

Suggestion to focus tasks that needs to be handled.

Call for volunteers. 

Action staff: circulate call for volunteers to further elaborate tasks list

Action all: eleoborate tasks list in preparation of next call.

In particular those who are proposing alternate proposals are requested to look at tasks that need to handled.

Worskstream 3

• Agenda item for today: Identify threats and risks.
  • SSAC member focused on technical risks. Note this group focuses on process risks. 
  • Risk: issues may get stuck in bureaucracy-> delay and therefore may become a technical risk
  • Suggestion to do a systematic risk analysis. 
  • Interaction between IANA/ICANN, NTIA and Verisign, simple administrative. By creating different layers and levels, communictions may become burdensome 
  • Build on contingencies already identified in CCWG Accountability Area 4.
  • Includes general risk management categories are used:
  • Business threats other specific risks. 
  • Suggestion to do a compilation of risks
  • Note: some of the risks are not related to transition. 
  • Realty factor (possibility) is very low.
  • Raising policy issues in an administrative function may be overrated.
  • List of test identified.

Action staff aggregate the threats / risk list

Action Members Categorise elements on that list in:

• Out of scope of this group
  • Should be included as risk/stress test item

Next call 29 December 21.00 UTC

Transcript

Transcript RFP 4 Meeting #4 23-Dec.doc

Transcript RFP 4 Meeting #4 23-Dec.pdf

Recording

The Adobe Connect recording is available here:   https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p8gjj1ut4ht/

The audio recording is available here:  https://icann.box.com/shared/static/6no6506i4cxhxe6uykvh.mp3

Documents Presented

RFP 4 - December 23-2014.pptx

stress tests.pdf

CWG RFP4 Timeline_v0.3.pdf

Chat Transcript

Brenda Brewer:Brenda Brewer: Welcome to the RFP 4 Call on Tuesday, December 23 at 14:00 UTC

Robert Guerra:good day all

jaap akkerhuis SSAC:Good day as well.

Bart Boswinkel:Good day all

Robert Guerra:I have also just emailed one of the slidedecks for this call to the RFP 4 mailing list.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I will be leaving at the top of the hour for another call...

Seun Ojedeji:Hello everyone

Yasuichi Kitamura (At-Large):Sorry for my delay.

Yasuichi Kitamura (At-Large):hi, all

Avri Doria:is it just me, or is his voice very faint?

Brenda Brewer:I will have his line turned up

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:yes

Avri Doria:yes

Yasuichi Kitamura (At-Large):yes.

Seun Ojedeji (ALAC):too loud

jaap akkerhuis SSAC:http://www.iana.org/help/nameserver-requirements

Seun Ojedeji (ALAC):yes

Seun Ojedeji (ALAC):good afternoon Milton

Milton:I would say just wait

Seun Ojedeji (ALAC):Sorry how did you know we have consensus on the cwg proposal @Milton?

Milton:Didn't say we have consensus on existing CWG, I said we definitely do not have support for an internal solution

Seun Ojedeji (ALAC):I still disagree with that statement

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:@ Milktin the very existence if the ALAC and any other alternate  to Contractinf Co. options  surely mean you can nit be cerain of cinsencus  or evenn near concencus  in that either

Milton:Track 1 vs. Track 2

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Sorry Milron  typpo on your name

Seun Ojedeji (ALAC):accountability can't be achieved in 100%, what we need is to identify what is critical to transition and see how that can be achieved within the time frame

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:*sigh* Milton my appols  for garbled text

Milton:Cheryl: We know that virtually every stakeholder group other than ALAC (and ICANN) will not accept the internal solution.

Milton::-) Milron, Milktin

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:and as I have said if ALAC holds out  then there will not be full consensus

Seun Ojedeji (ALAC):@Milton and who are the we, you see that is the issue, there has been several comments indicating that they are against the cwg proposal which is mainly about contract co

Milton:There could be rough consensus without ALAC.

Milton:But certainly there will never be consensus on an internal solution, that is my main point.

Seun Ojedeji (ALAC):Milton attempts speak and conclude for all. Its not appropriate to call ALAC proposal internal to ICANN because all we want is a solution that ensures accountability (operating IANA effectively and as determined by policies)

Milton:I have read all the public comments. I suggest you do that, too. I am not speaking for anyone but myself, I am simply noting that your alternate solution was strongly rejected by most groups that commented on it and many more commentators supported the basic elements of the CWG contracting solution.

Berry Cobb:Suggestions to the RFP4 list are welcome as well.

Seun Ojedeji (ALAC):well maybe you picked the one you want to read...because i have read them as well

Seun Ojedeji (ALAC):most of those that support the cwg proposal made lots of reservations

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:Seun, Milton may I suggest that this kind of discussion is better suited to the list

Sivasubramanian M:But the Board has expressed concerns about the formation of a body for awading and reviewing Contracts,  how do we go ahead with tasks such as "Form Contract Co" ?

Seun Ojedeji (ALAC):I lost audio

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:ok here

Grace Abuhamad:should we dial out to you again Seun?

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:mind map?

Sivasubramanian M:3.1  Structural separation could only be for convenience. If there is a real separation between ICANN and IANA funtions, there are bound to be risks of incongruity. For example, ICANN Board approved dot drugstore by Hoptitals Inc. the TLD goes on stream, but IANA Board received an objection from a Government on the basis of stray issues related to dot drugstore and takes it down, while ICANN Board believes that the Registry's records need to be examined for fairness before any rash action

Grace Abuhamad:you all have scroll control for this document

Seun Ojedeji (ALAC):yes Grace

Seun Ojedeji (ALAC):Back-in thanks

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Moving to ALAC Call now. Bye

Sivasubramanian M:Q: Internet being a Global eco-system and being such political importance, couldn't IANA ask for a special legal status well within the US framework till such time in the long term for as long as the  Corporation is housed within the US?

Seun Ojedeji (ALAC):okay i have to leave now to attend to other matters

Seun Ojedeji (ALAC):thanks

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:Jaap mute?

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:thanks

Philip Corwin:Have to drop off for another call. Good discussion. Happy holidays

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:bye

Allan MacGillivray:Best of the season to all.

Maarten Simon, SIDN:bye

Matthew Shears:thanks and happy holidays

Bart Boswinkel:BYE ALL

• No labels