Date: 30 October 2014 (10:00 - 12:00 UTC)
Members: Wanawit Ahkuputra; Jaap Akkerhuis; Donna Austin; Fouad Bajwa; Graeme Bunton; Fatima Cambronero; Eduardo Diaz; Avri Doria; Lise Fuhr; Staffan Jonson; Paul Kane; Elise Lindeberg; Vika Mpisane; Seun Ojedeji; Greg Shatan
Participants: Guru Acharya; Carolina Aguerre; Paradorn Athichitsakul; Hosein Badran; Olga Cavalli; Marc Carvell; Derby Chipandwe; Phil Corwin; Stephanie Duchesneau; Amr Elsadr; Chuck Gomes; Alan Greenberg; Feng Guo; Don Hollander; Stacey King; Yasuichi Kitamura; Wolf-Ulrich Knoben; Pitinan Kooarmornpatana; Brenden Kuerbis; Cheryl Langdon-Orr; Allan MacGillivray; Camino Manjon; Plamena Popova; Kris Seeburn; Matthew Shears; Maciej Tomaszewski; Mary Uduma; Peter Van Roste; Desiree Miloshevic
Staff: Grace Abuhamad; Bart Boswinkel; Berry Cobb; Marika Konings; Bernard Turcotte
Apologies: Martin Boyle; Olivier Crepin-Leblond; Tomohiro Fujisaki; Robert Guerra; Tony Holmes; Byron Holland; Mathieu Weill; Jonathan Robinson
**Please let Grace know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**
- Welcome & Roll Call
- Notes from last meeting & Review of action items
- Second reading for Proposal on how to structure the work
- Principles – new draft
- Status on work - subgroups
- Any other business
- Summary of action items and agreed items
Notes & Action Items 30/10
Note: The next meeting will take place on Tuesday, 4 November at 14:00 - 16:00 UTC instead of Thursday 6 November as previously announced
Second reading for proposal on how to structure the work
- Revised work plan was circulated after the last meeting
- Proposal to split work for item 3 into two parts
- Review of updated slides
- Are rapporteurs also expected to serve the role of co-ordinators / chairs for the sub-groups? Well will work commence - are additional calls needed? Up to each sub-group to decide how they would like to work. Some sub-groups have already created separate email lists to commence their work.
- Sub-groups may benefit from a co-ordinator/chair to set agenda, lead meetings, assess consensus.
- No further comments were received on the structure of the work.
- #1 - Each sub-group should appoint a rapporteur for purposes of bringing output back to full CWG as well as a co-ordinator who will be responsible for moving the work of the sub-group forward. Each sub-group should discuss whether the role of rapporteur and co-ordinator should be filled by one and the same person or whether these roles should be split between two people.
- Revised draft shared on the mailing list
- Under bii - independence of oversight - does this belong in the principles as this issue is currently being debated and still an open issue (both independence of oversight as well as accountability of operator to the multi-stakeholder community)? Isn't question how accountability to multi-stakeholder community is done in practice as accountability to multi-stakeholder community is one of the NTIA criteria?
- GAC is also working on principles, which are not the same as this document, expected to be available by CWG F2F meeting
- #2 - All encouraged to review the revised principles that were circulated on the mailing list and provide input.
Status of work - sub-groups
- Status of sub-group 1, 2a, 2b - proposal to combine 1, 2a and 2b as there a lot of connections between these three sections. First draft of section 1 has been shared, but was still being edited - sub-group has not had an opportunity to comment / discuss yet. Mailing list has been created for sub-group. Rough work has been done for section 2a - still some pieces that remain to be done. Work on 2b has also commenced, but full rough draft has not finished yet, but as soon as available will be shared with sub-group. Target date: sub-group review of document 1 by next meeting (if possible now that date of next meeting has changed), 2a - by end of this week / early next week draft ready for sub-group review, 2b - in review by sub-group by next meeting. Rapporteur / co-ordinator function currently being shared between Allan and Chuck - formal selection to follow (if needed).
- Status of sub-group 2c - should be separate sub-group from 1, 2a and 2b. Separate mailing list has also been created for this effort. CWG RFP 2C has produced a draft which I think is available on the Wiki. The triage document has as its objective to identify issues which may need to be considered at some point in the development of the transition proposal, so it can provide useful input into the elaboration of specific transition options and proposals. Work is continuing and more comments are welcomedHowever, finalizing this work should not be a pre-condition to the development of proposals by RFP SWG III. Given the limited amount of volunteer time available and the fact that most RFP 2C members have also volunteered for Group 3, actual completion of this work can likely be differed to allow efforts to be concentrated in SWG III
- Status of sub-group 3 - discussions have started on the mailing list, but no formal work has started yet. Group encouraged to identify rapporteur / co-ordinator as soon as possible (by end of Friday 31 October). During last meeting it was suggested that this sub-group conducts its work on the main mailing list to allow everyone to follow along. Consider using a prefix for the subject line to make clear that email relates to this specific sub-group (e.g. CWG-RFP3). Proposal to create separate list with everyone sub-scribed but solely dedicated to sub-group 3.
- Status of sub-group 4, 5 and 6 - will commence work following completion of other sub-groups. However it would be good if these groups could choose their rapporteur / co-ordinator.
- #3 - Staff to capture discussions to date in relation to sub-group 3 to serve as a starting point
- #4 - Staff to create a new mailing list for sub-group 3 but with all WG members and participants subscribed to this list
Any other business
- Agenda for F2F meeting - can the CWG already work on the proposed agenda for the F2F meeting to allow for co-ordinated input from the different groups
- ccTLD community is starting a consultation survey amongst ccTLD managers regarding future of IANA function - indicative results are expected by the F2F meeting
- Consider diving into substance of the issues during upcoming meetings
The transcript is available here: Meeting4_30Oct2014.doc
The Adobe Connect recording is available here: https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p6oqjcpp3y5/
The audio recording is available here: https://icann.box.com/shared/static/d22h9q1wuq957rnuiy78.mp3
Marika Konings:Welcome to the IANA Stewardship Transition CWG meeting of 30 October 2014
Marika Konings:Buenos Dias Olga!
Olga Cavalli:hola buenos dias Marika como estas?
Marika Konings:Muy bien, y tu?
Olga Cavalli:bien bien aqui temprano lista para la conf
Marika Konings:Bonjour Bernie!
Marika Konings:Ca va?
Bernard Turcotte:Oui merci
Bernard Turcotte:et vous
Marika Konings:tres bien
Bernard Turcotte:Un peut tôt ici
Marika Konings:ah, oui, c'est dur
Grace Abuhamad:nous allons tous parler en francais aujourd'hui?
Marika Konings:Je prefere l'Hollandais ;-)
Fouad Bajwa:Hi, my audio through adobe is not enabled, is this from your end to be enabled for me?
Olga Cavalli:hi same here with the audio
Fouad Bajwa:I is only saying I can dial-in but not connect to the audio with my mic through my laptop
Grace Abuhamad:I will add mics now
Fouad Bajwa:first time i've seen this happen
Fouad Bajwa:oh okay @grace
Graeme Bunton:Makinga tea, brb
Graeme Bunton:also, good morning all
Olga Cavalli:i hear audio now
Fouad Bajwa:okay got it!
Fouad Bajwa:let me know if you can here my taps on the mic
Avri Doria:so cool a meeting in Korea when I did not have to get up in the middle of the night.
Yasuichi Kitamura (ISOC-JP):hi, all.
Matthew Shears (CDT):Hello!
Don:Don Hollander from APTLD on the call
Marika Konings:Hi Don - please note that you can update your name in AC by going to the attendee pod and select the option in the menu that says 'edit my info' (should you want to add that information)
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Hi All
Marika Konings:For roll call purposes, can you please include your last name when you sign into Adobe Connect?
Amr Elsadr:Hi. Just joined via the AC room.
jaap akkerhuis:Hi all
Desiree Miloshevic:hi all
Fouad Bajwa:people need to mute their mics, i hear skypes and ding dongs
Seun:sorry i am also in another meeting so my perticipation here is going to be minimal
Grace Abuhamad:Thanks Seun. Noted
Marika Konings:As noted before, please note that you can update your name in AC by going to the attendee pod and select the option in the menu that says 'edit my info'
Stacey King:Good morning.
Chuck Gomes (RySG):@ Lise: You meant Tuesday, Nov. 4 not Oct. 4?
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Nov 4th not OCt
Fouad Bajwa:does this mean that we don't have the CWG chair with us?
Marika Konings:Yes, correct, 4 November
Marika Konings:yes, on 4 november Lise will chair - there were no chairs available for the original date of 6 November
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:1000 UTC??
Marika Konings:14.00 UTC
Fouad Bajwa:The F2F meeting will not have all members, I will be alternated
Fouad Bajwa:because the German Embassy has no appointments for visa application till after December 5th, sad
Seun:@Fouad i gave you an option to go around this
Grace Abuhamad:Avri will also have an alternate. so, 2 alternates
Seun:apply to Geneva and then route through Germany
Fouad Bajwa:@Seun, doesn't work that way for us
Fouad Bajwa:we have to take it for the reason we are entering the schengen reason thus has to be the same country application.
Fouad Bajwa:anyways, there will be an alternate member
Seun:Okay thats fine
Fouad Bajwa:i still believe, that venue could have been non-EU but what the heck, more members are from EU or nearby
Chuck Gomes (RySG):Do we have control of the slides?
Seun:Well i agree with you
Amr Elsadr - GNSO/NCSG:We're now synced with the presentor.
Chuck Gomes (RySG):Will the work plan/schedule be put into a more usable format?
Seun Ojedeji:i don't think we do yet @Chuck
Seun Ojedeji:i can't find the scroll on mine
Grace Abuhamad:I will upload the slides to the Wiki now
Amr Elsadr - GNSO/NCSG:@Seun: The presenter is controlling the slides now.
Seun Ojedeji:Hmm....i thought there was the independent slide control feature...but nevermind
Allan MacGillivray:If there are calls, can these be supported?
Bernard Turcotte:Seems 2B is missing in this version - will fix after the meeting
Marika Konings:@Allan - yes
Marika Konings:assuming you mean staff support ;-)
Amr Elsadr - GNSO/NCSG:As long as calls are an option if the sub-groups decided they need them, that'd be great.
Grace Abuhamad:Just uploaded the slides: https://community.icann.org/x/UQ3xAg
Allan MacGillivray:Yes, and thanks Marika
Amr Elsadr - GNSO/NCSG:Thanks for the answers. :)
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (ALAC):Important to hve that role for each
Amr Elsadr - GNSO/NCSG:@Lise: Thanks.
Hosein Badran:Hello All
Chuck Gomes (RySG):Each subgroup can decide whether the rappateur is the coordinator or if there is a separate coordinator
Amr Elsadr - GNSO/NCSG:@Greg: +1. Especially for the groups with a large number of participants.
Alan Greenberg:Sub-group Leader?
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (ALAC):rapporteurˌrapɔːˈtəː/Submitnouna person who is appointed by an organization to report on the proceedings of its meetings."the UN rapporteur"
Alan Greenberg:Seems to take time to decide structure. Why not say each group has a Leader and the group decides who and if same as raporteur.
Seun Ojedeji:Nevertheless i think we should start considering putting drafts of subgroups on the Gdocs/wiki so non-members can make comments
Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):+1 Alan
Seun Ojedeji:PS: Only reading text comments as my ears is in use in another meeting ;)
Seun Ojedeji:+1 to Alan suggestion of a structure...one thing i like to ask though is whether sub-group should have an end life. i.e once a subgroup presents a draft, then the larger group should start contributing and just the pen-holder for the sub-group should remain
Bernard Turcotte:Marka, I have emailed you the corrected version of the work breakdown slide deck
Marika Konings:Thanks Bernie
Amr Elsadr - GNSO/NCSG:The principles are looking better now than they were last week. :)
Allan MacGillivray:I have no mike; Chuck can do it
Matthew Shears (CDT):re the principle of oversight - if the IANA function is a clerical function that implements proposed changes to the RZ from the affected parties who develop policies why is the IANA function accountable to the global multistakeholder commuity and not the contracting parties to the function? the policy making within the affected parties should be accountable to the global community
Mark Carvell, UK Government:UKG will comment on the principles in the next day or so. Appreciate the valuable work by Lise and Martin. GAC working on principles too which will intersect. as guidance and I don't expect any divergence! GAC summary may be more detailed.
Allan MacGillivray:Thanks Chuck
Amr Elsadr - GNSO/NCSG:@Matt: Yes. Good catch. This is something that is obviously being debated on-list. Probably shouldn't be in the principles just yet.
Matthew Shears (CDT):I am unaware of the work starting yet in group 3 - but someone else may have a better sense
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (ALAC):perhaps calling to the list as well will assu=ist in thiss
Donna Austin, RySG:Agree with Matthew
Amr Elsadr - GNSO/NCSG:Wasn't it agreed that this group would work on the main mailing list?
Amr Elsadr - GNSO/NCSG:Isn't that what's been happening already this past week?
Allan MacGillivray:Group III is important. Maybe we should talk about the coordinator now
Matthew Shears (CDT):yes - good discussion on the list
Eduardo Diaz:@Allan: good idea. It should not take take that long.
Amr Elsadr - GNSO/NCSG:@Allan: Probably better to discuss the coordinator on-list to make sure folks who aren't on the call have a say. :)
Eduardo Diaz:@Amr: better idea
Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):+1 to Amr/Eduardo
Mark Carvell:Sub-group needs to take stock and plan work. I'm afraid I have to leave the call now due to unavoidable commitment. Bye for now!
Donna Austin, RySG:For sub-group 3, is it possible to have staff capture the discussion on the mailing list to date and present it as a starting point?
Allan MacGillivray:+1 @ Donna
Alan Greenberg:SG3 (including those not yet formally in the group) have strong opinions. may be difficult to find someone in grpoup to be "the ballanced one"
Matthew Shears (CDT):we probably need to schedule another call asap dedicated to sub group 3
Graeme Bunton - RrSG:That's a useful suggestion, Greg
Alan Greenberg:Dedicated SG3 meeting - yes
Bernard Turcotte:tags for email could be the name of the sub-group such as CWG-RFP1
Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC): Agree that SG3 should have a call.
Marika Konings:@Donna - yes, we can assist with that
Donna Austin, RySG:Thanks Marika, I think that would be really helpful.
Eduardo Diaz:Can a participant be a coordinator or rappateur?
Grace Abuhamad:@Eduardo: I think so.
Amr Elsadr - GNSO/NCSG:Just to be clear, I'm divided on wether a dedicated list is a better way to go, or if a dedicated list is more helpful. Just concerned that updates from other sub-groups might get lost in the large volume of traffic being generated.
Avri Doria:i would think so.
Yasuichi Kitamura (ISOC-JP):SG4 is very close relationship with SG3. SG4 will have to watch their activities. If not, SG4 will have to have the same discustssion as the SG3s again, I think.
Amr Elsadr - GNSO/NCSG:@Greg: +1
Brenden Kuerbis (GNSO/NCSG/NCUC):Good suggestion
Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):Not responsible for the musical flourish after my comment. :-)
Allan MacGillivray:I can report in the chat
Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):That will also provide an inflection point for capturing the disussion.
Allan MacGillivray:CWG RFP 2C has produced a draft which I think is available on the Wiki. The triage document has as its objective to identify issues which may need to be considered at some point in the development of the transition proposal, so it can provide useful input into the elaboration of specific transition options and proposals. Work is continuing and more comments are welcomedHowever, finalizing this work should not be a pre-condition to the development of proposals by RFP SWG III. Given the limited amount of volunteer time available and the fact that most RFP 2C members have also volunteered for Group 3, actual completion of this work can likely be differed to allow efforts to be concentrated in SWG III
Grace Abuhamad:Documents circulated on the list are uploaded here: https://community.icann.org/x/UQ3xAg
Grace Abuhamad:Allan's documents should be there as well
Brenden Kuerbis (GNSO/NCSG/NCUC):Its still an open issue
Avri Doria:is oversight decided?
Matthew Shears (CDT):Thanks Amr - yes I think the issue of oversight is far from decided
Alan Greenberg:Is anyone suggesting that the oversight is not independant of IANA itself?
Grace Abuhamad:Here you go @Amr: http://www.ntia.doc.gov/press-release/2014/ntia-announces-intent-transition-key-internet-domain-name-functions
Avri Doria:i do not remember oversight being required by NTIA. now it seems easy to decide there must be oversight of some sort, but I am not convinced.
Chuck Gomes (RySG):Thanks Amr. That is helpful.
Eduardo Diaz:As Published in the Guiding Principles relevant for the CWG : "Support and enhance the multistakeholder model; "
Marika Konings:@Paul - have you connected your mic via Adobe Connect or are you on the audio bridge?
Paul Kane:any other business - FYI the ccTLD Community is stating a consultaiton survey amongst ccTLD Managers
Paul Kane:we hope to have indicative results by F2F
Paul Kane:hence reasoin for ccTLDs being silent to date
Allan MacGillivray:@Paul - ccTLDs have been quite active on the list
Seun Ojedeji:Just as a side note, i do hope that a summary of this discussion (action point) will be sent to the list before implementation is carried out because i practically i am not participating and will like to provide comment on the list
Grace Abuhamad:Just a reminder to all -- please let me know if you will be attending F2F
Grace Abuhamad:I have confirmations from 7 of you
Guru Acharya:+1 to Greg
Matthew Shears (CDT):+ 1 Greg
Avri Doria:i find the assumption of oversight in the principles a bit problematic.
Alan Greenberg:+1 Greg
Marika Konings:@Seun - will send the notes out immediately following this call
Seun Ojedeji:Thanks Marika
Amr Elsadr - GNSO/NCSG:@Avri: +1 on the assumption of ovesight.
Fouad Bajwa:@Avri +1
Avri Doria:its your show. so ok.
Fouad Bajwa:Meetings can be concluded earlier too. We don't have to stick around for stuff that can be done on the mailing lists
Grace Abuhamad:Mailing list for the RFP 3 sub group will be created by end of day today (need to go through IT)
Amr Elsadr - GNSO/NCSG:Thanks Grace.
Chuck Gomes (RySG):Thanks Lise
Allan MacGillivray:'till next week,
Fouad Bajwa:Thank you all. You too!
Amr Elsadr - GNSO/NCSG:Thanks all. Bye.
Graeme Bunton - RrSG:Thank you all
Carolina Aguerre:thanks you all, bye
Matthew Shears (CDT):thanks!
Yasuichi Kitamura (ISOC-JP):bye
Fatima Cambronero:Thank you all. bye