You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

Version 1 Next »

Section 1.2.2 of the 2012 Applicant Guidebook required applicants for city-TLDs to include a Letter of Non-Objection as part of their application:

“If an applicant has applied for a gTLD string that is a geographic name (as defined in this guidebook), the applicant is required to submit documentation of support for or nonobjection to its application from the relevant governments or public authorities.”

Having closely followed the acquisition process for the .nyc TLD since 2001, I’ve come to see the Non-objection standard as having inadequacies. My firsthand experience with the .nyc TLD, and observations from afar about other new city-TLDs, indicates that a knowledge asymmetry existed between (some/many) of the 2012 cities and the potential social, economic, operational, and political impacts of what I've come to see as digital infrastructure.

I intend to follow the development of city-TLDs, evaluate their experiences, and if appropriate, explore with the Working Group a strengthening of the application process for city-TLDs; perhaps requiring that applicants for city-TLDs include an indication of Informed Consent rather than Non-Objection.

Informed Consent

Wikipedia says “informed consent can be said to have been given based upon a clear appreciation and understanding of the facts, implications, and consequences of an action. In order to give informed consent, the individual concerned must have adequate reasoning faculties and be in possession of all relevant facts at the time consent is given.”

Another view of Informed Consent is in resource management - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Management_Act_1991.

My premise in providing special consideration for cities is that they are in some ways special: that 1/2 the world's population lives in these tiny patches of the earths surface; that they offer the potential for a more sustainable planet via their energy efficiency; and that they provide the genesis for social and economic innovation.

Application Development Process

Another area that I'd like to explore involves the engagement of all stakeholders in the development of the application. And the possibility that the application development process might provide an opportunity for the Independent Internet users to participate in the process thought the creation of at-large structures.

Finally, to facilitate global cooperation between cities that the at-large.city domain name be reserved.

• No labels
For comments, suggestions, or technical support concerning this space, please email: ICANN Policy Department
© 2015 Internet Corporation For Assigned Names and Numbers