Item remains on the Council agenda Item is to be completed but off the Council agendaItem completed



Topic

Entry Date (E)

____________

Target Date (T)

Action Item

Responsible Council Member

____

Responsible Staff member

Additional Notes

Managing IDN Variants TLDs

IN PROGRESS

 

  • Small group of Councilors to convene and then coordinate with ICANN to get further understanding, and potentially propose next steps for IDN TLD Variants.
  • Staff to develop options paper to support small group efforts

Steve Chan


CSC Effectiveness Review Final Report

IN PROGRESS

 

  • In accordance with terms of the CSC Effectiveness Review Template, the Chair of GNSO Council and the Chair of ccNSO Council are requested to recommend report to IANA Naming Function Review Team (IFRT) as soon as that is established.
  • The GNSO Council instructs the GNSO Secretariat to share the results of this motion with the CSC. 

Comments ICANN’s 2021-2025 Strat Plan, FY20 Operating Plan and Budget: common concerns

IN PROGRESS

 

  • SCBO to do analysis between ccNSO/GNSO comments, identify elements for common cause. Look at how the reserve fund replenishment can be sustained.

PDP update: discussion of SubPro progress

IN PROGRESS

 

  • Council leadership to propose path forward to obtain clarification / provide view concerning intersection between the Name Collisions Analysis Project and SubPro PDP

IFR teamIN PROGRESS

 

  • Once the Council receives the receipt for IFR membership confirmation, Council to consider how best to coordinate co-chair selection with ccNSO, which will be responsible for selecting the ccNSO co-chair.
  • Council to consider selection process by which a GNSO appointed member of the IANA Function Review (IFR) team will be selected to serve as the GNSO co-chair on the IFR as the ICANN Bylaws stipulate that “(d) The IFRT shall be led by two co-chairs: one appointed by the GNSO from one of the members appointed pursuant to clauses (c)-(f) of Section 18.7 and one appointed by the ccNSO from one of the members appointed pursuant to clauses (a)-(b) of Section 18.7” once the IFR membership has been confirmed.
  • IANA Function Review (IFR) Team composition: Review of the ccNSO proposal to manage deficiencies - Councilors to take discussion on ccNSO proposal (here: https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/2019-January/022175.html) to their respective SG/C and to then consider what input they would like to provide.

Drafting Team on charter related to the next steps for the ICANN Procedure of Handling Whois conflicts with Privacy

IN PROGRESS

 


 

  • GNSO Council, after having considered the 1 August letter from Akram Atallah and receiving a brief update from GDD on its 24 August Council meeting, should determine next steps for reviewing the Whois Procedure.
  • Drafting team members to share draft charter and identified questions in charter with respective SG/Cs for feedback, following which the drafting team will review this input and finalize the charter for GNSO Council consideration.
  • Council to consider adoption of charter at its upcoming meeting
  • Call for volunteers to be delayed at least until the EPDP hits the milestone of publishing its Initial Report. Council to discuss this topic once that milestone is hit.
  • ICANN Staff to circulate a call for volunteers (subsequent to the initiation and chartering process for the EPDP on the Temporary Specification) to the GNSO Stakeholder Groups, with the request for each Stakeholder Group to appoint up to 3 members to the Implementation Advisory Group (IAG). The call for volunteers should also be more widely circulated to seek volunteers to serve as participants and observers to the IAG.
  • Council leadership to research and develop guidance for if and when the work on the ICANN Procedure of Handling Whois conflicts with Privacy should begin.

Legislative Tracker

IN PROGRESS

 

  • Small group of Councilors to develop draft message to ICANN Org to provide input on legislative tracker. Based on feedback, Council leadership to consider scheduling follow up discussion at ICANN65. 

Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy (IRTP) Policy Status Report

IN PROGRESS

 

  • Council to further consider next steps in relation to the review of the Transfer Policy which would result in providing GDD information/response on expected next steps and/or seek additional information as the Council considers how to approach the Transfer Policy review, for example, holistically instead of piecemeal.

IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms

IN PROGRESS

 


  • Susan Kawaguchi to collaborate with the PDP WG and staff to develop a draft final report for preliminary consideration by the GNSO Council (targeting May meeting).
  • Susan Kawaguchi and Heather Forrest to prepare report on the usage of the 3.7 Appeal Process contained in the GNSO Operating Procedure that is intended to capture the process used and lessons learned.
  • ICANN staff to inform the IGO-INGO CRP PDP WG that the GNSO Council resolved that the Working Group, in line with the Council’s priority to ensure responsible allocation of resources and timely management of the PDP, the Final Report be submitted in time to meet the July 2018 GNSO Council meeting document deadline.
  • Councilors to review Final Report, especially in the broader context of the appropriate overall scope of protection for all IGO identifiers, in preparation for consideration as early as the August Council meeting.
  • ICANN staff to inform the ICANN Board and the GAC that the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Mechanisms PDP Working Group has completed its work and forward a copy of the Final Report to them
  • Councilors to review Final Report and options flowchart, then prepare a list of questions by 31 August 2018 that they have, for response by the WG leadership, WG liaison, WG members, or staff as appropriate.
  • ICANN staff to work with the GNSO Chair and Council liaison to determine possible ways to address concerns regarding some of the PDP recommendations within the scope of the PDP Manual, in light of the fact that the WG has not identified any recommendations as being interdependent.
  • Next steps for the IGO-INGO Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms PDP WG Final Report - ICANN staff to schedule webinar for questions and answers
  • Council leadership/staff to develop a summary document to capture concerns and issues with the PDP, as well as next step options available to the Council
  • Council leadership to again present Council  options for the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Final Report to consider and discuss with their respective SG/Cs.
  • Council leadership and Council to continue developing proposed path forward for the Working Group’s Final Report.
  • Councilors to review the materials for the webinar held on 09 October 2019 (available here: https://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar/2018#oct) and other materials shared for the agenda item (here: https://community.icann.org/x/JIoWBg)
  • Council Leadership to consider repurposing the extraordinary meeting on 14 February 2019 to discuss IGO/INGO Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms if the EPDP Final Report is not yet available for discussion and review.
  • Council leadership to develop a new options document to include proposed motion language for each option for Council consideration.
  • Council leadership to follow up on existing action item regarding expected report from Heather Forrest and Susan Kawaguchi on process management for the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms.
  • GNSO Chair to prepare communication to GAC/IGOs to explain rationale for vote and demonstrate how they will be able to participate.

Council liaison to EPDP IRT

COMPLETED

 

  • Council leadership to confirm with Rubens Kuhl that he is to take on the role Council liaison to the IRT for EPDP phase 1

Updated Charter for the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance

COMPLETED

 

  • GNSO Council to seek clarification about the level of resources expected to be allocated to the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance.
  • GNSO Council Liaison to the ccNSO to coordinate with the Country Codes Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) as the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance seeks to resolve concerns identified by the ccNSO Council.
  • Council leadership to propose Council position and next steps for GNSO relationship with the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance
  • Council leadership to develop draft response to the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance, providing input on the GNSO Council’s expected engagement with the group.
  • Council Chair to follow up on the existing action item regarding the drafting of a response to CCWG/EG on Internet Governance.

CCWG Auction Proceeds

COMPLETED

 

  • Erika Mann/ Marika Konings to forward legal analysis provided by Legal/Board to the GNSO Council mailing list.
  • GNSO Stakeholder groups to encourage their appointed members to dutifully participate and provide regular updates on the status of work. To review GNSO appointed members, see https://community.icann.org/x/FpjDAw.


Harmonizing Confusing Similarity review

COMPLETED

 

  • Council leadership to liaise with SubPro leadership to determine how best to coordinate with ccNSO and then propose approach to the Council.

New GNSO Chair election timeline with travel guidelines (120 days for funded traveler submissions)

COMPLETED

 

  • Councilors to continue discussion with their respective groups to help understand the impact of the changes to the timeline for submitting travelers in relation to elections and react accordingly.

EPDP Phase 2COMPLETED

 

  • Council Leadership to inform the EPDP Team that the GNSO Council indicates its non-objection, as required per the EPDP Team Charter, for the EPDP Team to commence work on the System for Standardized Access to Non-Public Registration Data as well as other topics identified in Phase 2 of the Charter.
  • Council to seek to provide guidance to the EPDP Team around timelines and deliverables for the EPDP Team in its phase 2 work.

PDP3.0

COMPLETED

 

  • PDP 3.0 small team to engage with PDP Chairs to obtain input on different improvements related to PDP WGs and leadership.
  • Small group of Councilors to ensure that recurring updates are provided to the Council (e.g., on no less than a quarterly basis)


EPDP FInal Report

COMPLETED

 

  • Council leadership to propose ways to balance informal implementation of EPDP recommendations and phase 2 workload.
  • EPDP Team to package legal questions/answers and the updated Final Report with consensus level designation of each recommendation for review by the Council.
  • Councilors to engage with and consult with their Stakeholder Group / Constituency and ensure their respective communities understand current status and have provided instructions on how to vote for the EPDP Team Final Report on 4 March (where applicable)
  • Rafik Dammak to inform the EPDP Team of decision to defer the vote and explain next steps
  • ICANN Staff to inform GDD that the GNSO Council directs ICANN Org to informally convene the Implementation Review team for the EPDP as soon as possible.
  • ICANN Staff to prepare the draft recommendations report for the ICANN Board, to be considered and adopted by the GNSO Council.
  • ICANN Staff to communicate EPDP P1 Recommendations Report to Board Ops

Fellowship Selection criteria

COMPLETED

 

  • ICANN Staff to communicate approval of Fellowship selection criteria to GNSO representative

Approval of appointment of Janis Karklins as Chair of EPDP Phase 2 team

COMPLETED

 

  • Keith Drazek to inform Janis Karklins of the GNSO Council approval of his appointment
  • Rafik Dammak, EPDP Interim Chair to announce the new chair to EPDP team and finalize with staff the handover letter to Janis Karklins

GNSO Review of ICANN64 GAC Communiqué

COMPLETED

 

  • GNSO Chair to communicate the GNSO Council Review of the Kobe GAC Communiqué to the ICANN Board.
  • GNSO Chair to inform GAC Chair of communication between GNSO Council and ICANN Board on the Kobe GAC Communiqué.

Privacy/Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Implementation Review Team


COMPLETED

 

  • Council to prepare response to letter from Cyrus, considering whether the PPSAI IRT should continue to be on hold and/or whether the transfer policy referral should be worked on now, noting that public comment on the new P/P policy (which was the original trigger) may not take place for a while. In relation to unpausing of the PPSAI IRT, Council to consider whether it would be possible to parse out EPDP-dependent  versus non-EPDP dependent items.

Updated Charter for the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance


COMPLETED

 

  • GNSO Council to seek clarification about the level of resources expected to be allocated to the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance.
  • GNSO Council Liaison to the ccNSO to coordinate with the Country Codes Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) as the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance seeks to resolve concerns identified by the ccNSO Council.
  • Council leadership to propose Council position and next steps for GNSO relationship with the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance
  • Council leadership to develop draft response to the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance, providing input on the GNSO Council’s expected engagement with the group.
  • Council Chair to follow up on the existing action item regarding the drafting of a response to CCWG/EG on Internet Governance.

2018 Strategic Planning Session (SPS) Action Items


SPS SegmentEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes
Role and responsibilities of Council leadership
  • Council to consider whether existing mechanisms provide for sufficient opportunity to conduct “emergency” consultations to allow for GNSO Chair to gather input on certain topics and/or decisions that need to be taken. 
  • Council members to provide leadership team with feedback on leadership team’s performance & actions on a regular basis. 
  • Current Council Chair (Heather Forrest) to provide report at the end of her term outlining main challenges / concerns / recommendations in fulfilling the role. 
  • Council to consider whether Council leadership should have a contract / letter of appointment that would outline role, responsibilities and expectations. 


Changes to GNSO Operating Procedures and related governance documents to facilitate participation in Empowered Community


What does Council need/want to achieve in 2018, and how to do this?
  • Donna Austin to share comments on scheduling of cross-community discussions with the GNSO Council.
  • Staff to keep project timing planning document up to date and share it with the Council prior to every ICANN meeting to facilitate review and oversight of timelines. Explore whether there is a more dynamic way in which the document can be publicly shared. 
  • Council leadership to reach out to leadership of Curative Rights and Reconvened WG on RCRC to see whether it is feasible to deliver Final Reports within 6-month timeframe.
  • Council leadership to notify ICANN Board with regards to PDPs that are expected to deliver to finalize their report shortly so that concerns or issues can be raised prior to GNSO Council consideration. 
  • Council leadership to request update from GNSO-appointed members to RDS Review Team at upcoming GNSO Council meeting.
  • Council to explore mechanisms and tools for monitoring / reviewing costs related to PDP WGs with a view to improving efficiency and effectiveness
  • Council members to review framework for post-implementation reviews and provide input. Council leadership to add this to an upcoming Council meeting agenda to continue this discussion. Council to consider forming a small group of volunteers to work with staff on further developing the framework. 



2019 Strategic Planning Session (SPS) Action Items

SPS SegmentEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes
Other
  • Council leadership team to send “thank you” note to Becky Burr for her presentation and James Bladel for his facilitation assistance.


What is the GNSO Council and what does it do?
  • Council to seek to map out timing elements for utilizing the nine powers held by the EC. Consider if and how an emergency community consultation mechanism can be integrated.
  • Council to go through examples/scenarios to see how the EC powers can be utilized. This should include going down into the SG/C level of detail.


Role and responsibilities of GNSO more broadly
  • Staff to investigate if the GNSO can serve as a Slack guinea pig in the already existing pilot effort within ICANN org. The use of Slack would be incumbent on a review of this platform first to understand how its threads would be archived and what level of access ICANN org would have to privileged or private communications between members. The GNSO Council will discuss whether document drafting can take place in Slack, but because the Council highly values transparency and accountability, the Council agreed that documents would need to be circulated on the archived email list to ensure that they are properly incorporated into the public record.
  • Council leadership to liaise with the Nominating Committee to understand from Appointees and Panelists, what works, what does not within the process, and better understand how the selection process takes place. Councilors to investigate how NCAs can be better informed; identify what communications they might not be receiving.


PDP 3.0 - General Discussion on three Improvements (#2, #5, & #13)

COMPLETED


  • Staff to prepare a comparison table for the proposed Working Group models, which could include several factors: membership eligibility, operating procedures, decision-making, communicating decision-making, urgency/timing (e.g., prioritization). Consider creating pros/cons as well.


PDP 3.0 - Sub-group presentation and wrap-up

COMPLETED


  • Small group of Councilors to continue work of the sub-groups to make specific PDP 3.0 implementation recommendations. Council to agree to working methods. (Action Item taken on board by the PDP 3.0 small team)


Role and responsibilities of Council Liaisons

COMPLETED


  • Council to consider whether Consensus Policy Implementation Framework (CPIF) needs to be reevaluated as it relates to guidance for Council liaisons to IRTs, avoiding relitigation of policy issues, and escalation of issues (noting that the Policy & Implementation recommendations adopted in 2015 state that the recommendations, including the CPIF, should be evaluated after at most 5 years). (Action Item taken on board by the PDP 3.0 small team)
  • Council to consider options for enhancing the WG participation model, including terms for participation that members must agree to. (Action Item taken on board by the PDP 3.0 small team)


How to manage Council’s 2019 workload: strategies to increase effectiveness
  • Erika Mann to send note to Council upon the adoption of the new copyright law and the potential impact on GNSO policy work / DNS.
  • Council to form a small team to work on the definitions in the Project Timing Document in relation to definitions of priority and level of effort.
  • Staff to update Project Timing Document to try and incorporate suggestions from Councilors.


What does Council need/want to achieve in 2019, and how to do this?
  • As part of PDP 3.0, Council to establish PDPs Chair(s)/ liaisons communication / reporting timelines and requirements to Council.
  • Council to consider adding request for website upgrade to the Council comment to the FY20 budget.
  • Council to consider how to better understand the specific resourcing needs of PDP WGs (e.g., SCBO to meet with PDP leadership in August of every year).


Lunch with the Board

COMPLETED


  • Council leadership to follow up on status of RPMs litigation threats.
  • Council leadership to get Council input on the Board initiatives for discussion in Kobe.


Wrap up and close of session
  • Staff to identify what are low-hanging fruit in the PDP 3.0 implementation plan. Prioritize/color-code. Identify dependencies (e.g., reporting is needed prior to evaluation).
  • Recurring: Small team of Councilors / Council leadership to report progress of PDP 3.0 at each Council meeting. Establish project plan for implementation for PDP 3.0. (Action Item taken on board by the PDP 3.0 small team)
  • In order to better prioritize work, need to know capacity of Council, community, staff, Staff to get existing information from Berry Cobb about average commitment and Council to see if that can be utilized, leveraged, and/or updated.
  • Staff to check if ICANN legal has looked into the insurance for WG members question.



Other Council Related Action Items


TopicEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes












  • No labels
For comments, suggestions, or technical support concerning this space, please email: ICANN Policy Department
© 2015 Internet Corporation For Assigned Names and Numbers