Entry Date (E)
Target Date (T)
Responsible Council Member
Responsible Staff member
Evolution of the Multi stakeholder Model of Governance
- Staff to investigate the anticipated timing, funding and expected deliverables for the Evolution of the Multi stakeholder Model of Governance project.
Non-registry GNSO Liaison to the Customer Standing Committee
- Council to determine their approach for the non-registry GNSO liaison to the Customer Standing Committee (CSC), which could include supporting James Gannon to serve a second term or to seek additional candidates.
GNSO Input to the Independent Review Process Standing Panel
- Councilors to reach out to their respective groups to communicate additional call for volunteers for additional members to serve on the IRP Implementation Oversight Team.
RPM Charter amendments
- Staff to circulate call for volunteers for Review of All Rights Protection Mechanisms in All gTLDs Phase 2 charter amendments.
Mary Wong Julie Hedlund Ariel Liang
Managing IDN Variants TLDs
- Small group of Councilors to convene and then coordinate with ICANN to get further understanding, and potentially propose next steps for IDN TLD Variants.
- Staff to develop options paper to support small group efforts
CSC Effectiveness Review Final Report
- In accordance with terms of the CSC Effectiveness Review Template, the Chair of GNSO Council and the Chair of ccNSO Council are requested to recommend report to IANA Naming Function Review Team (IFRT) as soon as that is established.
- The GNSO Council instructs the GNSO Secretariat to share the results of this motion with the CSC.
Comments ICANN’s 2021-2025 Strat Plan, FY20 Operating Plan and Budget: common concerns
- SCBO to do analysis between ccNSO/GNSO comments, identify elements for common cause. Look at how the reserve fund replenishment can be sustained.
PDP update: discussion of SubPro progress
- Council leadership to propose path forward to obtain clarification / provide view concerning intersection between the Name Collisions Analysis Project and SubPro PDP
- Once the Council receives the receipt for IFR membership confirmation, Council to consider how best to coordinate co-chair selection with ccNSO, which will be responsible for selecting the ccNSO co-chair.
- Council to consider selection process by which a GNSO appointed member of the IANA Function Review (IFR) team will be selected to serve as the GNSO co-chair on the IFR as the ICANN Bylaws stipulate that “(d) The IFRT shall be led by two co-chairs: one appointed by the GNSO from one of the members appointed pursuant to clauses (c)-(f) of Section 18.7 and one appointed by the ccNSO from one of the members appointed pursuant to clauses (a)-(b) of Section 18.7” once the IFR membership has been confirmed.
- IANA Function Review (IFR) Team composition: Review of the ccNSO proposal to manage deficiencies - Councilors to take discussion on ccNSO proposal (here: https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/2019-January/022175.html) to their respective SG/C and to then consider what input they would like to provide.
Drafting Team on charter related to the next steps for the ICANN Procedure of Handling Whois conflicts with Privacy
- GNSO Council, after having considered the 1 August letter from Akram Atallah and receiving a brief update from GDD on its 24 August Council meeting, should determine next steps for reviewing the Whois Procedure.
- Drafting team members to share draft charter and identified questions in charter with respective SG/Cs for feedback, following which the drafting team will review this input and finalize the charter for GNSO Council consideration.
- Council to consider adoption of charter at its upcoming meeting
- Call for volunteers to be delayed at least until the EPDP hits the milestone of publishing its Initial Report. Council to discuss this topic once that milestone is hit.
- ICANN Staff to circulate a call for volunteers (subsequent to the initiation and chartering process for the EPDP on the Temporary Specification) to the GNSO Stakeholder Groups, with the request for each Stakeholder Group to appoint up to 3 members to the Implementation Advisory Group (IAG). The call for volunteers should also be more widely circulated to seek volunteers to serve as participants and observers to the IAG.
- Council leadership to research and develop guidance for if and when the work on the ICANN Procedure of Handling Whois conflicts with Privacy should begin.
- Small group of Councilors to develop draft message to ICANN Org to provide input on legislative tracker. Based on feedback, Council leadership to consider scheduling follow up discussion at ICANN65.
- Global Engagement to take into account feedback, in particular, inclusion of rationale for including a piece of legislation on the legal / regulatory tracker.
Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy (IRTP) Policy Status Report
- Council to further consider next steps in relation to the review of the Transfer Policy which would result in providing GDD information/response on expected next steps and/or seek additional information as the Council considers how to approach the Transfer Policy review, for example, holistically instead of piecemeal.
- Rubens Kuhl, as Council liaison, to reach out to the IRT for the EPDP Phase 1 to have a conversation and gain a better understanding of how to address recommendation 24 and the Form of Authorization issue stemming from the Temporary Specification.
- Council to determine next steps for the Transfer Policy, which could include the chartering of a narrowly focused EPDP
IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms
- Susan Kawaguchi to collaborate with the PDP WG and staff to develop a draft final report for preliminary consideration by the GNSO Council (targeting May meeting).
- Susan Kawaguchi and Heather Forrest to prepare report on the usage of the 3.7 Appeal Process contained in the GNSO Operating Procedure that is intended to capture the process used and lessons learned.
- ICANN staff to inform the IGO-INGO CRP PDP WG that the GNSO Council resolved that the Working Group, in line with the Council’s priority to ensure responsible allocation of resources and timely management of the PDP, the Final Report be submitted in time to meet the July 2018 GNSO Council meeting document deadline.
- Councilors to review Final Report, especially in the broader context of the appropriate overall scope of protection for all IGO identifiers, in preparation for consideration as early as the August Council meeting.
- ICANN staff to inform the ICANN Board and the GAC that the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Mechanisms PDP Working Group has completed its work and forward a copy of the Final Report to them
- Councilors to review Final Report and options flowchart, then prepare a list of questions by 31 August 2018 that they have, for response by the WG leadership, WG liaison, WG members, or staff as appropriate.
- ICANN staff to work with the GNSO Chair and Council liaison to determine possible ways to address concerns regarding some of the PDP recommendations within the scope of the PDP Manual, in light of the fact that the WG has not identified any recommendations as being interdependent.
- Next steps for the IGO-INGO Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms PDP WG Final Report - ICANN staff to schedule webinar for questions and answers
- Council leadership/staff to develop a summary document to capture concerns and issues with the PDP, as well as next step options available to the Council
- Council leadership to again present Council options for the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Final Report to consider and discuss with their respective SG/Cs.
- Council leadership and Council to continue developing proposed path forward for the Working Group’s Final Report.
- Councilors to review the materials for the webinar held on 09 October 2019 (available here: https://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar/2018#oct) and other materials shared for the agenda item (here: https://community.icann.org/x/JIoWBg)
- Council Leadership to consider repurposing the extraordinary meeting on 14 February 2019 to discuss IGO/INGO Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms if the EPDP Final Report is not yet available for discussion and review.
- Council leadership to develop a new options document to include proposed motion language for each option for Council consideration.
- Council leadership to follow up on existing action item regarding expected report from Heather Forrest and Susan Kawaguchi on process management for the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms.
- GNSO Chair to prepare communication to GAC/IGOs to explain rationale for vote and demonstrate how they will be able to participate.
- Staff to communicate the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms PDP Recommendations Report to ICANN Board Operations.
EPDP phase 1 recommendations
- Council leadership and staff to schedule an extraordinary Council meeting to discuss the Board adoption of the EPDP policy recommendations.
Marika Konings Nathalie Peregrine
CCWG on New gTLD Auction Proceeds
- Staff to inform CCWG on New gTLD Auction Proceeds of the confirmation of Julf Helsingius to serve on the working group