This is a workspace for comments on gTLD application comments that are not yet placed in a category for either for evaluation panel's consideration or objection grounds

• No labels

1 Comment

1. My first engagement with Internet governance was in the late 1990s when the NTIA sought comments on shifting the DNS to private hands. Having grown up in the 1950s in the USA, I was well aware of the impact European "discoveries" had on native peoples in the Americas. The comments I submitted to the NTIA were to the effect that we should learn from history and not enable those who might be a few years advanced in technical awareness and capabilities to "discover" other peoples (intellectual) resources.

It seems inappropriate to grant .amazon and .patagonia at the applicants at this point. What will the individual internet users in those regions think about ICANN and the At-Large 20 years from now? Will they think we had the right to acquire and allocate their heritage? 

I don't think so. And I think it appropriate that the ICANN postpone allocation of those names until it hears from a majority of the internet users in those regions. Obviously there's no way to do that in the near term. So I suggest you support waiting until that time arrives.

Sincerely,

Thomas Lowenhaupt
    Connecting.nyc Inc.