Alex Gakuru - Noncommercial Stakeholder Group

1. Current vocation, employer and position

Primarily an ICT systems consultant trading as Way Forward Technologies. Self-employed and holds Lead Consultant title. Also serves as (unpaid) Chairman, ICT Consumers Association of Kenya.
Recently appointed as Councilor, Broadcast Content Advisory Council – Communications Commission of Kenya – the converged national ICT sector regulator.

2. Type of work performed in 1 above

Way Forward Technologies develops and deploys integrated information and communications technologies content solutions thus consults mainly in the following areas databases, software development, open source software, ICT Migration, digital animation, project management, telecommunications consultancy, training, and ICT research services.

As chair ICT Consumers Association of Kenya, and closely working with civil society, human rights and social justice organisations, my work involves promoting consumer rights and interests through constructive engagements with all ICT stakeholders (government, regulator and private sector players). Through the media brings consumer rights to the fore in regard to policy, legislation, regulation and at the market place.

As member Broadcast Content Advisory Council, my advisory duties are to advise the regulator on the content that is broadcast on Kenyan public communications space and its adherence to the National ICT Policy, Kenya Information and Communications Act, and all relevant regulations.

3. Identify any financial ownership or senior management/leadership interest in registries, registrars or other firms that are interested parties in ICANN policy or any entity with which ICANN has a transaction, contract, or other arrangement

No financial, ownership, or senior management interest in any registry, registrar, ccTLD, Internet technologies or equipment firms, or other firms that are interested in ICANN policy or any entity with which ICANN has a transaction, contract, or other arrangement.

4. Identify any type of commercial interest in ICANN policy development outcomes. Are you representing other parties?

I do not have any commercial interest in ICANN policy outcomes and I represent no other parties.

5. Describe any arrangements or agreements between you and any other group, constituency or person(s) regarding your nomination or selection as an advisory group team member

None.

6. Geographic Region associated with the nationality of volunteer (Africa, North America, Latin America/Caribbean, Asia/Australia/Pacific and Europe)

Africa (Kenya)

7. Stakeholder Group(s) in which volunteer currently participates within the ICANN organization

A member of the Noncommercial Stakeholder Group(NCSG) where I am leading the Consumer Interest Group. I was elected (in 2009) as Africa Representative, Non Commercial Users Constituency (NCUC). I participate on PDP-WT and now JAS WG - for which I write this SOI.

Teams:

•  Policy Process Steering Committee Policy Development Process Work Team (PDP-WT)
  • Joint SO/AC WG on New gTLD Applicant Support (JAS-WG)
  • No labels
For comments, suggestions, or technical support concerning this space, please email: ICANN Policy Department
© 2015 Internet Corporation For Assigned Names and Numbers