You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 768 Next »

Item remains on the Council agenda Item is to be completed but off the Council agendaItem completed


Entry Date (E)


Target Date (T)

Action Item

Responsible Council Member


Responsible Staff member

Additional Notes

Registration Directory Service (RDS) - Program Management



  • Overarching Action Item: GNSO Council leadership, in collaboration with support staff, to propose a timeframe and mechanism for addressing the following RDS related issues, taking into account their respective requirements as noted below; GNSO Council leadership to provide an update to the GNSO Council during its May 2020 meeting.
    • GNSO Council leadership and staff to schedule a future prep call to discuss the RDS program management issues. 
  • EPDP Phase 2: 
    • Staff (Marika) to work with Rafik to develop a framework document to identify a list of topics (e.g., accuracy, legal vs. natural, and other remainder items from the EPDP) and outline the next steps for the EPDP for the GNSO Council to consider; GNSO Council leadership to circulate the framework document prior to the June Council meeting; Rafik to inform Janis about the upcoming framework document.
    • Keith to develop a draft GNSO Council response to the SSAC letter, correcting any inaccuracies.
    • Staff (Berry) to develop a PCR for the EPDP to be reviewed/discussed during the June Council meeting.
  • EPDP Phase 1 Recommendation 7: GNSO Council needs to further discuss the Board letter about the potential impasse concerning the implementation of EPDP Phase 1 Recommendation 7, and based on the discussion, draft a response to the ICANN Board. 
    • GNSO Council leadership to instruct the Council Liaison to the IRT to engage with the IRT in order to understand the nature of the impasse regarding Phase 1 Recommendation 7, if it exists, and the next steps to address such impasse.
    • GNSO Councilors to review the draft letter and provide feedback on Council list by Thursday, 28 May COB; Pam to propose appropriate revision to the letter to reflect the GNSO Council liaison’s engagement with the IRT.
  • EPDP Phase 1 Recommendation 27: GNSO Council needs to solicit input from SGs/Cs on the staff proposal, and based on the feedback received, determine whether the staff proposal should be adopted and if so, how the relevant actions should be moved forward. 
  • Registry Directory Service Review Team Recommendations: GNSO Council needs to solicit input from SGs/Cs on the two recommendations passed by the ICANN Board, and based on the feedback received, draft a response to the ICANN Board. 
    • GNSO Council leadership to review the draft staff document and consider circulation on the Council list.
  • WHOIS Procedure Implementation Advisory Group (WPIAG): GNSO Council needs to solicit input from SGs/Cs and determine whether/how to initiate the work of the WPIAG (see charter).
    • GNSO Council leadership to review the draft staff document and consider circulation on the Council list.

GNSO Prioritization



  • Keith Drazek to encourage councilors to share the survey feedback received from their groups on the Council mailing list (missing IPC and ISPCP)
  • GNSO Council, in collaboration with GNSO Support Staff, to develop a framework of prioritization for upcoming GNSO policy work based on the input received from GNSO Councilors and their respective stakeholder groups/constituencies and input from the broader ICANN community/ICANN Board.
  • GNSO Support Staff to research and incorporate the deliberation on the Internationalized Registration Data
  (IRD) issue in the prioritization list, as appropriate.  
  • GNSO Councilors to continue consulting with their respective groups in preparation for further Council discussion and/or decision during the March 2020 Council meeting.
  • GNSO Councilors to review the draft 2020 work plan and provide input on the Council list by 1 May 2020; next steps regarding the work plan are expected to be discussed during the May 2020 Council meeting
  • Council leadership and staff to provide a more detailed, actionable GNSO work prioritization plan and present the update during the June Council meeting.
  • Staff (Berry & Steve) to update the project list by adding projects such as the Specific Reviews and identifying relevant parties that are primarily responsible for that work.

Report from the Transfer Policy Scoping Team



  • GNSO Councilors to review the Report from the Transfer Policy Scoping Team and engage with their respective SG/C in preparation for the Council vote on the request for an Issue Report during the May 2020 Council meeting.

PDP3.0 Final Report



  • GNSO Support Staff to work with the GNSO Council leadership on the deployment of improvements based on the effective time frame proposed by the PDP 3.0 Small Team.
  • GNSO Council to carry out the other future action items in the “resolved” clauses at appropriate time, as directed in the motion.

Managing IDN Variants TLDs



  • Staff to develop options paper to support small group efforts
  • GNSO Chair to send message to Council list to expand volunteer pool expertise beyond Council. Small team to consider and propose scope of holistic IDN review, prior to outreach with ccNSO. (Volunteers: Rubens Kuhl, Maxim Alzoba, Philippe Fouquart, Edmon Chung, Michele Neylon) (Small team believes it has requisite expertise and adequate volunteers)
  • GNSO Chair to email Katrina Sataki to inform her of immediate next steps and willingness determine the best coordination method between the GNSO and ccNSO.
  • Once GNSO small team is able to gain an understanding of the scope of effort and potential vehicle for resolution, ICANN staff to schedule call to identify structure for coordination between the GNSO and ccNSO. GNSO and ccNSO to identify where coordination is and is NOT needed. 
  • ICANN staff to reach out to Maarten Simon and Philippe Fouquart to determine if they are willing to lead action items above. (Both Maarten and Philippe are members of the scoping team)
  • ICANN staff to investigate format for JIG and see if it may be fit for purpose. (Upon review, this letter concerning the closure of the JIG was found. It will be discussed by the Council small team.)
  • ICANN Staff to ensure that GNSO liaison(s) are assigned to the IDN ccPDP, when the ccNSO initiates that effort
  • ICANN Staff to investigate who (e.g., Council liaison, other)
  • Council leadership to support coordination between SubPro leadership and ccNSO to discuss string similarity.
  • GNSO Councilors to review the IDN Scoping team Recommendation Report by the March 2020 Council meeting; Keith to send a reminder to the Council list.
  • GNSO Council to use the revised charter template and other related PDP 3.0 work products to develop a draft charter for a future PDP/EPDP for the IDN policy effort, consider potential overlap of IDN PDP with other GNSO PDPs
, and report to the GNSO Council on whether these PDP 3.0 work products help achieve the intended outcomes.

Steve Chan Ariel Liang

Regarding the JIG format, the small team is not ready to look at that yet. but it's on their radar.

Evolution of the Multi stakeholder Model of Governance




  • Staff to investigate the anticipated timing, funding and expected deliverables for the Evolution of the Multi stakeholder Model of Governance project. 
  • ICANN staff to invite Brian Cute to a future Council meeting
  • Rafik Dammak to invite Brian Cute to future PDP 3.0 meeting to make sure to not create overlapping work on the Evolution of the MSM
  • PDP3.0 small team to draft response to Public Comment and submit to Council for review.  Consider inviting Brian once the Public Comment closes.
  • GNSO Council to organize a community sharing session about PDP 3.0 implementation work that aligns with the MSM evolution project before or during ICANN69 (specific timing/format TBD)  

CCWG-Accountability Workstream 2 Next Steps


  • Keith to circulate the WS2 Implementation Assessment Report to the GNSO Council to kick off the discussion about CCWG-Accountability WS2 next steps. 
  • GNSO Council leadership to raise the “CCWG-Accountability WS2 next steps” topic during the next SO/AC leadership meeting and propose the idea of developing a joint letter to seek further communications from ICANN org regarding the progress. 
  • GNSO Council leadership, in collaboration with interested volunteers (e.g.,  James Gannon, Philippe Fouquart, and Tom Dale), to tee up the Council discussion of the CCWG-Accountability Workstream 2 topic for a future Council meeting.

DNS Abuse 


  • GNSO Council to reach out to the ccNSO, at an appropriate time, to discuss potential next steps to address DNS abuse issues. 



  • GNSO Council leadership to review the documents wiki page and consider which items need to be kept: 
  • Keith to remind the GNSO Councilors about the mandatory attendance in the Pre ICANN68 GNSO Policy Briefing Webinar. 

EPDP 2 team request for input on data accuracy



  • Keith Drazek to send an email to the GNSO Council mailing list regarding the possible next steps regarding the data accuracy issue, with the aim to provide a response to the EPDP Team by Friday, 13 March

2020 Strategic Planning Session (SPS) Action Items

SPS SegmentEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes

The role and responsibilities of the GNSO Council as a member of the Empowered Community



  • Staff to circulate to the GNSO Council the guidelines and templates that have been recently developed and adopted and which be found on the GNSO web-site (see under the heading Guidelines and Templates that Help the GNSO Fulfill Its Role & Obligation as a Decisional Participant in the Empowered Community).
  • Form a small group of Council members to draft a letter to ICANN Legal to raise questions relating to potential liability of individual Council members and existing protections.

PDP3.0 Improvements



  • Schedule a special Council meeting to carry out a detailed run through of the full project list. Following that, Council meeting would consider during its regular meeting any changes to the project and condition would be reviewed.
  • Council to further consider the process and timing of the review of PDP 3.0 Improvements
  • Council to agree on mechanism to start review of GNSO Operating Procedures to consider which updates may need to be made as a result of the PDP 3.0 Improvements.

  • Council to consider commencing chartering for one of the new efforts (e.g. IDNs or transfers) to make sure the new charter template is fit for purpose.
  • Council to confirm which additional items to move forward with and consider using agile teams to do so.
  • Council members to consult with their respective groups to discuss whether there are other items that should be addressed going forward.

Berry Cobb

Ariel Liang Julie Hedlund  

SPS Survey



  • Council members to take the order ranking survey back to their respective SG/Cs to discuss and request input. This input will be further considered during an upcoming Council meeting to help inform the Council’s prioritization and decision-making going forward.

Marika Konings Steve Chan

2019 Strategic Planning Session (SPS) Action Items

SPS SegmentEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes

Role and responsibilities of GNSO more broadly

  • For the section 3.6 Speaking at Meetings of the GNSO Operating Procedures, Council to consider revising this section since it is not strictly enforced.
  • Council leadership and staff to consider documenting the internal operating procedures of the leadership team. Create a Chair/Vice-chair handbook, to help understand role and responsibilities.
  • Council leadership to make the Council meeting planning document public, to both help Councilors stay informed about upcoming topics, but to seek their input for meeting preparation.
  • Staff to investigate if the GNSO can serve as a Slack guinea pig in the already existing pilot effort within ICANN org. The use of Slack would be incumbent on a review of this platform first to understand how its threads would be archived and what level of access ICANN org would have to privileged or private communications between members. The GNSO Council will discuss whether document drafting can take place in Slack, but because the Council highly values transparency and accountability, the Council agreed that documents would need to be circulated on the archived email list to ensure that they are properly incorporated into the public record.
  • Council leadership to liaise with the Nominating Committee to understand from Appointees and Panelists, what works, what does not within the process, and better understand how the selection process takes place. Councilors to investigate how NCAs can be better informed; identify what communications they might not be receiving.

How to manage Council’s 2019 workload: strategies to increase effectiveness
  • Erika Mann to send note to Council upon the adoption of the new copyright law and the potential impact on GNSO policy work / DNS.
  • Council to form a small team to work on the definitions in the Project Timing Document in relation to definitions of priority and level of effort.
  • Staff to update Project Timing Document to try and incorporate suggestions from Councilors.

Wrap up and close of session
  • Staff to identify what are low-hanging fruit in the PDP 3.0 implementation plan. Prioritize/color-code. Identify dependencies (e.g., reporting is needed prior to evaluation).
  • Recurring: Small team of Councilors / Council leadership to report progress of PDP 3.0 at each Council meeting. Establish project plan for implementation for PDP 3.0. (Action Item taken on board by the PDP 3.0 small team)
  • In order to better prioritize work, need to know capacity of Council, community, staff, Staff to get existing information from Berry Cobb about average commitment and Council to see if that can be utilized, leveraged, and/or updated.
    • Reviewed prior version from 2017 and must be refreshed to be useful  
  • Staff to check if ICANN legal has looked into the insurance for WG members question.

2018 Strategic Planning Session (SPS) Action Items

SPS SegmentEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes
Role and responsibilities of Council leadership
  • Council to consider whether existing mechanisms provide for sufficient opportunity to conduct “emergency” consultations to allow for GNSO Chair to gather input on certain topics and/or decisions that need to be taken. 
  • Council members to provide leadership team with feedback on leadership team’s performance & actions on a regular basis. 
  • Current Council Chair (Heather Forrest) to provide report at the end of her term outlining main challenges / concerns / recommendations in fulfilling the role. 
  • Council to consider whether Council leadership should have a contract / letter of appointment that would outline role, responsibilities and expectations. 

Other Council Related Action Items

TopicEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes

Nominating Committee (NomCom) Review Implementation Planning Team (IPT).



  • Staff to advise how to provide input to the NomCom about GNSO NomCom appointees, also what the GNSO Operating Procedures say with respect to the NomCom appointee.
Steve Chan

  • No labels
For comments, suggestions, or technical support concerning this space, please email: ICANN Policy Department
© 2015 Internet Corporation For Assigned Names and Numbers