You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 6 Next »

The following call for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group will take place on Monday, 11 September 2017 at 15:00 UTC for 90 minutes.

08:00 PDT, 11:00 EDT, 16:00 London BST, 17:00 Paris CEST 

For other places see: http://tinyurl.com/yav5hrab

PROPOSED AGENDA

1. Welcome/SOIs 
  2. Work Track Updates 
  3. Update from the WG Co-Chaors
  4. Procedural Next Steps for the WG
  5. Drafting Team Discussion – Different TLD Types (Wiki Page: https://community.icann.org/x/YKLRAw and Working Document: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mA_hTUhLhJSsfcmoQwREtUqxykZ5KfJffzJAAhEvNlA/edit?usp=sharing)
  6. AOB

BACKGROUND DOCUMENTS

PARTICIPATION

Attendance

Dial outs:  Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Kavouss Arasteh, Phil Buckingham

Apologies: Ken Stubbs

Notes/ Action Items

Please see below the action items and discussion notes captured by staff from the meeting on 11 September. These high-level notes are designed to help PDP WG members navigate through the content of the call and are not meant as a substitute for the transcript or recording.  The MP3, transcript, and chat room notes will be provided separately.

5. Drafting Team Discussion – Different TLD Types (Wiki Page: https://community.icann.org/x/YKLRAw and Working Document:  For those who use Google Docs, this is the document 

we are using: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mA_hTUhLhJSsfcmoQwREtUqxykZ5KfJffzJAAhEvNlA/edit#gid=1329336410[docs.google.com]

Community Comment 1 is available here: https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=59645660[community.icann.org]

-- Discussed this topic quite a while ago.

--

-- There are dependencies if we decide to have different TLD types or not.

-- Most of the groups had favored continuing with the same categories in the applicant guidebook.

-- There were some comments that brought up additional categories that could be separated out.

-- Discuss the common attributes of categories and if we decided to use categories what would be the impacts.

-- There were categories in the policy and in the AGB, also the defacto category in Spec 13.  We really have to start finding what we have consensus for and what remains as it was.

Q: Is there consensus on keeping the existing set of categories even if they need to be modified?

Discussion:

-- We do have consensus not to eliminate the categories we already have, but not on whether this is the definitive list, or the implications of the categories.

-- There is a possibility that you could create a new category, such as applicants needing support.

-- Until the time that decide to modify the categories we should continue to have them.

From the chat:

Krishna Seeburn - Kris: Next-Gen RDS PDP WG - have not yet agrreed on types of category.. is still on the table... wouldn't that be conflicting. 

Knowing that these may conflict or not conflicting...

Vanda Scartezini: I beleive YEsS if anything can be changed further  during this WG work

Donna Austin, Neustar: I agree with supporting the existing categories.

Jeff Neuman: @Kris - We have not been briefed on the work of RDS on this.  But can you explain why that would be relevant for us?

Annebeth Lange, ccNSO: I agree on continuing with categories, but they might have to be extended. 

Vanda Scartezini: but we have concensus that it is for further decision

Krishna Seeburn - Kris: @ jeff this is still going through consensus....tomorrow we may know for sure....

See Attribute Matrix 

Validated registry: Do we agree that this is a separate category?

-- What are the arguments to add that category?  We are asking whether it will have registryation policies that restrict potential registrants, as well as usage.  

Likely minimal need for registrar services.  Likely limited registrant base.

-- May need some gradation, such as more nuanced ways to make sure the registrant is in the approved community.  

-- Is there a distinction between Category 1 and Category 2 Safeguard Advice, from a consumer protection standpoint?  Answer: There were 

60 or so strings identified as Category 1, and half a dozen that had prior evaluation.  Then there were some that the ALAC said the GAC was overeaching.  

There were a significant number where we agreed, but deemed another type of verification to be sufficient.

-- To a large extent the categories we have right now were self-selected.  It is not clear that self-selection will be sufficient and what other criteria will need to be used.

From the chat:

Donna Austin, Neustar: Alan, I think applicant support could be a category for the purposes of discussion.

Susan Payne: agree with keeping the current categorties

Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC): Tru Alan - but if you decided to give any priority to those applications, you might need to create category..

avri doria: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mA_hTUhLhJSsfcmoQwREtUqxykZ5KfJffzJAAhEvNlA/edit#gid=88833461[docs.google.com]

Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC): It seems to me that if you create and Applicant Support category, you create an incentive for experienced and technically 

qualified registry service providers to work with such Applicants.

Jeff Neuman: @Anne - Would any of the Applicants in the "Applicant Support Category" not also be in one of the other categories.  In other words, 

they will either be an open registry, brand, geo, intergovernmental organization?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): I think a "highly regulated" category would be well worth exploring 

Krishna Seeburn - Kris: @jeff ...these were the idea that may have to extend and state what kind of domain category would be into. But exactly what Next-Gen RDS PDP WG will come back and see what would go in there

Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC): @Jeff - we assume they could fit in any category but are distinguished by the need for Applicant Support.  

Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC): @Alan - Do you distinguish between Category 1 and Category 2 Safeguard advice?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): thus the term **highly ** regulated 

Christa Taylor: In WT1, potentially providing support to other applicants not in the Applicant Support Program was also brought up. 

For instance, a Community Application that may need some type of financial support

Not-for-provit or non-profit gTLDs, NGOs -- Should we be exploring as a category?

-- No objection/needs to be explore

Highly Regulated / Sensitive TLDs  -- Continue to explore as a category?

-- Is there a definition around these?  They could be quite different.  Need a definition before we decide to include them.  Thought they were similar in some respects, but we don't have to lump them together.

-- Assume that there is a definition of "highly regulated".

-- Could see highly regulated and validated put together, but not sure what we mean by "sensitive TLDs".

-- Question: Is one a subset of the other?  Is highly regulated a subset of validated?  Or keep validated seaprate from highly regulated.

-- Need to allow the applicant make the case for a TLD to be sensitive.

-- On validated TLDs: Go to vtld.domain has a description.

-- 

From the chat:

Jeff Neuman: For the Validated TLDs, they are self described at:  https://www.vtld.domains[vtld.domains]/

Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC): QUESTION:  Is one a subset of the other?  Is highly regulated a subset of validated?

Krishna Seeburn - Kris: Yes i agree we need a definition to clearly understand them

Jeff Neuman: Not all vTLDs are highly regulated

Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC): QUESTION:  Is one a subset of the other?  Is highly regulated a subset of validated?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): sensitive is different 

Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC): Did the GAC call Category 2 "sensitive"?

Donna Austin, Neustar: And this is the primary challenge with categories: trying to define the different types of TLDs.

Robin Gross: "regulated" seems to be tied to law in some way.  "sensitive" is a grab bag or who knows what?  so they are quite different.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): yes agree ðŸ‘ Jeff separate 

Vanda Scartezini: + 1 Donna

Donna Austin, Neustar: I do not like the category of 'sensitive'. It has too many connotations.

Kavouss Arasteh: Avri, I am unable to raise hand

Jeff Neuman: I think the validated TLDs did a pretty good job at defining themselves

Alan Greenberg: May I have an AOB?  Related to the overall discussions we have had today.

eff Neuman: at vtld.domains

Greg Shatan: What would the consequences of being "sensitive" be?

Jeff Neuman: I am not saying that need s to be a category, just saying they have a definintion

Robin Gross: prone to rash?

Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC): @Greg - I though "sensitive" was a description of Category 2 GAC Advice, but not sure.

avouss Arasteh: what we mean by unvalitdated gtld

Donna Austin, Neustar: I also don't support validated. Just because a separate group has been formed 

doesn't mean a separate category needs to be formed. Some TLDs have a nexus requirement, but I don't know how that distinguishes the from validated.

Kavouss Arasteh: Tks I agree that we need to have validated gtld

Maxim Alzoba (FAITID): it looks like "special requirements TLDs" , but that could be a feature of many types of gTLDs (GEO 

limited to citizens some city , Community limitem to members of some assosiation, TLD limited to owners of special licenses e.t.c.)

Jeff Neuman: Validated TLDs validate WHO the registrant is, not where they live or reside

Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC): Vlaidation includes dentist, doctor, attorney, etc.  Designed to prevent shams and consumer fraud.

Maxim Alzoba (FAITID): @Jeff,  I am not sure that GEO can not have special field which only local citizens can provide 

Robin Gross: "sensitive" shouldn't be lumped in with highly regulated, which is a legal standard.

6. Any Other Business

a. Terms of Reference for Work Track 5: 

-- very important to the GNSO.  Need to remain within the scope and practices of PDPs.  May be different from cross-community working groups.  Once there is an initial recommendations the SOs and ACs are requested to comment and there are provisions on

what to do if you get a response that is not in accordance with the recommendation.  The Work Track 5 Co-Chairs will develop the terms of reference and map 

the conditions to the guidelines for working groups.

b. Participation in the Work Tracks

-- There is light discussion in some work tracks so recommendations that come out of the work tracks and that go out for public comment after PDP 

WG review may get comments from work track members who have not been participating.

-- We send out a newsletter, meeting schedule, and agendas.

From the chat room:

Jeff Neuman: All - we will send around a draft terms of reference in the next few weeks.  Avri is discussing a response to the letters that we are receiving

Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC): @AVri - Isn't there also "polling"?

• No labels