Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Sub-group Members:   Avri Doria, Bastiaan Goslings, Cheryl Langdon-Orr. David McAuley, Greg Shatan, Griffin Barnett, Janet Shih Hajek, John Laprise, Niels ten Oever, Robin Gross, Tatiana Tropina   (11)

Observers/Guests:  /

Staff:  Bernard Turcotte, Brenda Brewer, Elizabeth Andrews

Apologies:  Markus Kummer, Herb Waye

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to acct-staff@icann.org **

Transcript

Recording

Agenda

1.  Administrivia - Roll call, absentees, SoIs, etc

2.  Review of UK governments comments 

3.  Review of Swiss government comments 

4.  AOB

Caption Notes

Disclaimer:  This rough edit transcript, which may contain missing, misspelled or paraphrased words, is only provided for your immediate review and is not certified as verbatim and is not to be cited in any way. 

Decisions:

• (none)

Action Items:

• NTO – Circulate draft language concerning UK govt comment wrt Ruggy possibly applying to ICANN Org. vs ICANN the community.

• BT – Circulate comment tracking.

Requests:

• (none)

Documents

Chat Transcript

Brenda Brewer: (8/1/2017 13:15) Good day and welcome to Human Rights Subgroup Meeting #28 on 1 August 2017 @ 19:00 UTC!

Bonnie-CART: (13:50) Hello, Brenda!

Brenda Brewer: (13:50) Hi Bonnie.  Hi all!

Bonnie-CART: (13:51) Brenda, may I ask who the Rapporteur will be today for this meeting?

Glenn McKnight: (13:51) joined

Brenda Brewer: (13:53) Niels ten Oever is the Rapporteur

Glenn McKnight: (13:54) Sharing paper https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__policyreview.info_articles_analysis_coding-2Dand-2Dencoding-2Drights-2Dinternet-2Dinfrastructure&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=kbiQDH54980u4nTPfwdloDLY6-6F24x0ArAvhdeDvvc&m=pM75lLYv8XKYaGIClWN04a1wrGqzEn1TYn-5R7B80ls&s=Wm92zl21SU2iCrCE8GKzaBCNdReWMoCZgY-A4wXzsDE&e=

Bonnie-CART: (13:54) Thank you, Brenda!

Brenda Brewer: (13:55) my pleasure.  :)

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (13:57) Hello all

Tatiana Tropina: (13:59) Hi everyone

David McAuley: (13:59) hi, will dial in using 8624 in a moment

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (14:01) Hemispheric discrimination our friends from the Antipodes like to remind us

David McAuley: (14:03) ok

Glenn McKnight: (14:03) yes

David McAuley: (14:04) i think you are correct Niels

David McAuley: (14:06) I agree with Tatiana

Brenda Brewer: (14:06) Document on screen can also be accessed on HR meeting wiki page here:  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_JQIhB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=kbiQDH54980u4nTPfwdloDLY6-6F24x0ArAvhdeDvvc&m=pM75lLYv8XKYaGIClWN04a1wrGqzEn1TYn-5R7B80ls&s=5gkabJVoxSwn63lQAYS3fG7zyknLCdn3VetdYbloIFg&e=

Greg Shatan: (14:07) Agree with Tatiana and David.

avri doria: (14:07) sometime i think that people call the Ruggie principles to not admit to their full and proper name. i see no problem with mentioning them and see it as adviseable.

Niels ten Oever: (14:08) Can evertone who is not speaking pls mute their mic?

Tatiana Tropina: (14:08) Avri I think we mentioned them - it's just mentioning them won't add anything but confusion here at this particular part of the FoI

avri doria: (14:08) doesn't confuse me.  your argument does, though.

David McAuley: (14:09) i lost adio connection

avri doria: (14:09) mentioning them more than once is not a crime.

David McAuley: (14:09) will dial back in

Tatiana Tropina: (14:09) Avri this part refers to internationally recognised HR and instruments that contain them. Ruggie don't contain HR.

Tatiana Tropina: (14:10) is it clearer? I don't mind mentioning them twice or three times where appropriate

Tatiana Tropina: (14:10) not sure it's appropriate here as they do not include HR.

avri doria: (14:10) i do not understand why the bylaw does not permit this angauge.

avri doria: (14:11) i just find the persistence on anti-guidelines unformtautent

Tatiana Tropina: (14:11) it's not the bylaw - it;'s a particluar part of FoI. Ruggie do not contain HR. They don't say which HR are recognised.

avri doria: (14:11) ... unfortunate

avri doria: (14:12) they give guidence to all businesses which we would prefer to avoid

Brenda Brewer: (14:13) My apologies for delayed dialout to Cheryl.  

avri doria: (14:13) mostly but not completely.  humanitarian international laws goes beyond warfare

Glenn McKnight: (14:14) Apologies for my phone or speakers onot muted. is it better.

Tatiana Tropina: (14:14) Avri it goes beyond warfare it regulated armed conflicts.

Greg Shatan: (14:15) +1 Tatiana.

Tatiana Tropina: (14:15) and it's applicable in time of armed conflict

Tatiana Tropina: (14:15) I am not sure ICANN is going to negage into this somehow but really the list is not exclusive.

avri doria: (14:15) i disagree.  i have effects on varous topics.

avri doria: (14:15) it has effect ...

Tatiana Tropina: (14:15) Am having hard time to imagine how FoI will be approved if we mention cybercrime investigations and armed conflict. BTW cybercrime convention doesn't contain any human rights.

avri doria: (14:15) but another set of rights we don't care about. ok.

avri doria: (14:15) no

Tatiana Tropina: (14:16) the set of right of combatants and non combatants?

Tatiana Tropina: (14:16) I care about them but what do they have to do with this FoI?

Greg Shatan: (14:16) There is plenty of room below the level of Bylaws compliance to bring in HR Instruments, Ruggie, etc.

Greg Shatan: (14:17) I don't think we are cherry picking rights at all; quite the opposite.

avri doria: (14:18) udhr is just apirational, need the humanitarian intl law to cover those issues. and they are issue that could affect our behavior or naming decsions or ublic interest issues.

Tatiana Tropina: (14:21) we bring up quite a list of instrumets

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (14:21) Tatiana's points make sense to me..

avri doria: (14:21) including, but not including but not limited to.  so accept Tatiana proposal for an indication that the list is not complete.

Tatiana Tropina: (14:22) I will be completely against inclusion cybercrime convetion - this will be just ... words fail me :)

Tatiana Tropina: (14:22) Avri I am very much fine with this suggestion

Tatiana Tropina: (14:22) including but not limited to

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (14:23) yes

David McAuley: (14:25) agree with Greg - the limitr has to be internationally recognized HR as required by applicable law - we cvan't go beyond that IMO

avri doria: (14:25) it can be argued by some that thing not included or specificlly allowed for are excluded.

avri doria: (14:25) and that argument would be made in the future

Tatiana Tropina: (14:25) Agree Greg - it's like enforcement is directly excluded but other things are not

Tatiana Tropina: (14:25) Avri I think the "not limted to" language solves that particular problem here

avri doria: (14:25) that is why the phrase, but not limited to, is critical.

avri doria: (14:26) yes, i agree. but thought perhaps Greg was arguing against it.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (14:26) I think we're all ok with that edit Available

Greg Shatan: (14:27) No, I'm okay with "not limited to"

Greg Shatan: (14:27) It disambiguates the word "including".

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (14:28) Avri sorry auto correct just made your name,e "available"

David McAuley: (14:28) Thanks

Niels ten Oever: (14:32) Agree - community is not a company

Tatiana Tropina: (14:34) if there is such a need for Ruggie we can say ICANN can decide to commit to Ruggie

Tatiana Tropina: (14:34) CAN decide

Tatiana Tropina: (14:35) or consider

Tatiana Tropina: (14:35) if they decide to do so - fine

Tatiana Tropina: (14:35) I am fine with adding this line as it's up to ICANN org

Tatiana Tropina: (14:35) but let's not impose anything like that to the community as it is not much relevant - we can just say that this might be taken into account. Fine.

David McAuley: (14:36) could you read it again in total

Niels ten Oever: (14:36) https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_17AvMLBfT8BmC3gUOTvaIuTuEqMbgiporUwqNymvhWhc_edit&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=kbiQDH54980u4nTPfwdloDLY6-6F24x0ArAvhdeDvvc&m=pM75lLYv8XKYaGIClWN04a1wrGqzEn1TYn-5R7B80ls&s=NwP7DGy25z7B59QumZ4kcxLYNGRGc-UpK0KdYd5TNyU&e=

Niels ten Oever: (14:37) When examining its operations, ICANN the organization could also consider a framework like the UNGPs as well as specific instruments such as HRIAs to assess their impact on Human Rights, and offer remediation.  However, this is up to ICANN the organization to develop and implement. The results of such HRIAs should be reflected in ICANN’s annual reporting.

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (14:38) needs editing

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (14:38) hands

Niels ten Oever: (14:39) https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_17AvMLBfT8BmC3gUOTvaIuTuEqMbgiporUwqNymvhWhc_edit&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=kbiQDH54980u4nTPfwdloDLY6-6F24x0ArAvhdeDvvc&m=pM75lLYv8XKYaGIClWN04a1wrGqzEn1TYn-5R7B80ls&s=NwP7DGy25z7B59QumZ4kcxLYNGRGc-UpK0KdYd5TNyU&e=  

Niels ten Oever: (14:39) page 9

Niels ten Oever: (14:39) It's in the ' Consider how the interpretation and implementation of this Bylaw will interact withexisting and future ICANN policies and procedures.' part

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (14:40) time check - 20 minutes left in call

Tatiana Tropina: (14:41) We don't need to say Ruggie are useful. We can say ICANN possibly could decide to commit to them. If they want. We don't impose anything. And you know am against inclusion of Ruggie.

Tatiana Tropina: (14:42) I don't believe Ruggie for ICANN at all - but it's up to org to decide.

avri doria: (14:42) are we trying to reaken the like to the guiding principles again?

avri doria: (14:42) ..weaken ...

Glenn McKnight: (14:42) Good comment David

Tatiana Tropina: (14:45) may be we just ingnore the comment and explain why?

Tatiana Tropina: (14:45) I mean we do have Ruggie in the FoI!

David McAuley: (14:46) it depends on how it is said - and great care is needed IMO

Tatiana Tropina: (14:46) I dont belueve it will create problems but I believe we already have Ruggie and it's enough :)

Tatiana Tropina: (14:46) David +1 - I didn't suggest any language I just suggested the line

Tatiana Tropina: (14:46) btu I also think narrowing the Ruggie reference we have will be better

Tatiana Tropina: (14:47) as it will be clearer taht it's for org

avri doria: (14:47) i am strongly worried about constant effort to weaken reference to the UN Guiding Principles

Tatiana Tropina: (14:47) and it will better meet the concerns of those who want Ruggie to be mentioned

Tatiana Tropina: (14:47) We are working on adding the reference - in any case the consensus language will stay -- it's already there

avri doria: (14:47) you were perhaps.  Tatian was talking about weakening.

Tatiana Tropina: (14:48) I was talking about being more precise with what it refers to

Tatiana Tropina: (14:48) :)

avri doria: (14:48) yeah, right

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (14:48) I had the previous comments on the before last UK comment?

Tatiana Tropina: (14:49) I actually think even UK comments itself speaks about ICANN corporation not community

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (14:50) exactly

avri doria: (14:51) seems a good point to me.

avri doria: (14:51) i support this comment

avri doria: (14:51) ok so apply it only to the corproation.

Tatiana Tropina: (14:51) Avri but that's what am saying

Tatiana Tropina: (14:52) or have been saying

David McAuley: (14:52) I am not sure I agree - depends on language

avri doria: (14:52) Tatian, it was not what i understood you to be saying everytime you said we should not include the UN Guiding principles.

avri doria: (14:53) that is twice i typoed out the final a on your name.  sorry.

Tatiana Tropina: (14:53) We already have Ruggie included.

Tatiana Tropina: (14:53) Avri that's against human rights :))))))))

David McAuley: (14:53) I'm lost

Tatiana Tropina: (14:53) Am lost too

Tatiana Tropina: (14:53) I thought we discussed Shiva last time

Tatiana Tropina: (14:54) I remember commenting on that

Tatiana Tropina: (14:54) I agree that it will depend on the language!

Tatiana Tropina: (14:54) we decided that we try

Tatiana Tropina: (14:55) but we need to draw the line between community and the org to avoid further confusion I think... at least we can try

Tatiana Tropina: (14:55) Niels I thought I commented on Shiva's comments last time

Tatiana Tropina: (14:55) we are going through them again?

David McAuley: (14:55) very hard line to draw Tatiana

Tatiana Tropina: (14:56) David, agree - we can try and if we fail - we already have a consensus language

Tatiana Tropina: (14:56) Am sure we are on the same page here anyway.

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (14:56) time check - 4 minutes leeft

David McAuley: (14:56) Agree

Tatiana Tropina: (14:57) I don't remember

Tatiana Tropina: (14:57) what I said :)

Tatiana Tropina: (14:58) Oh now I remember what I said !!

avri doria: (14:58) isn't this about the interpetation of the bylaws, vis a vis hr.

Tatiana Tropina: (14:58) I now remember

Tatiana Tropina: (14:58) This was a very confused comment

avri doria: (14:58) so reconcilliation of interpretations seems a wise thing to do.

Tatiana Tropina: (14:58) you need to see it in the context!

Tatiana Tropina: (14:59) I can comment on the next call as we have no time left

Tatiana Tropina: (14:59) there is misunderstanding re what it refers to

Tatiana Tropina: (14:59) This conflict refers to Ruggie!

avri doria: (15:00) e.g some argue  it is consistent with bylaws and ICANN says it is not.

Tatiana Tropina: (15:00) The line he comments on is our compromise language about Ruggie

John Laprise: (15:00) apologies...must run

Tatiana Tropina: (15:00) I think I'd rather comment on the next call as we are at the top of the hour

David McAuley: (15:01) agree w Greg

Tatiana Tropina: (15:01) Niels can we start next time with my comment on this? I remembered what I said :)

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (15:01) thanks all

avri doria: (15:02) will you remember in a week?

Tatiana Tropina: (15:02) Avri not sure :)

Greg Shatan: (15:02) Hold that thought, TT.....

Tatiana Tropina: (15:02) :D

avri doria: (15:02) bye

Tatiana Tropina: (15:02) bye all

David McAuley: (15:02) thanks all, good bye

Greg Shatan: (15:02) Bye!