Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Answer (Roger Carney, GoDaddy and former T/T PDP WG member): I do not believe Recommendation 2 states, suggests or implies “…that all registration data must be tagged with a language/script tag following the adoption of  the policy…”. During discussions in the PDP I purposefully avoided (as much as I could) using the term “tagging (tag/tagged)”. This term seems to have originated from the IRD WG and I did not think it was useful/appropriate to bring up implementation proposals in the PDP. I think Question 1 as written above is interpreting the text/meaning of Recommendation 2 somewhat different than I did when agreeing with the Recommendation in the PDP. The text in the final report is “Whilst noting that a Whois replacement system should be capable of receiving input in the form of non-ASCII script contact information, the Working Group recommends its data fields be stored and displayed in a way that allows for easy identification of what the different data entries represent and what language(s)/script(s) have been used by the registered name holder.” This recommendation does not require or even suggest/recommend that any additional data fields be created. We also need to remember that RDAP does not store nor does it display data, as such I don’t believe this recommendation intended RDAP to be considered as a replacement WHOIS system in this context.

Answer (James Galvin, Afilias, T/T PDP WG member, IRD Expert WG chair): Use of the word "tag" and the action "tagging" generally implies a technical interpretation of "easy identification" that includes the use of identifiers specified by RFC 5646 "Tags for Identifying Languages".  That is one method of "easy identification" but is not the choice I would support in this IRT.  I believe the question of "easy identification" of the script used in the content of data fields is easily answered by recognizing that the Unicode Standard explicitly specifies in which scripts a code point is valid.  Given a set of code points the intersection of all valid scripts quickly identifies the script in use.  It is language identification that is problematic.  Unfortunately, what was not sufficiently considered by either the T/T PDP WG or the IRD Expert WG is that identifying a language requires context and, further, that that context is not generally available.  Consider too that for some data elements, e.g., notably a Contact Name, there may be more than one language present in the field content.  This latter issue is not addressed at all in the EPP protocol and, since that protocol is in the path from a registrant to a directory service display of data (WHOIS or RDAP), even if the language was known by the registrar there is no way to have this information available for display without technical standards work to "update" EPP.  Finally, in consideration of the fact that the language identifier is only needed when a transformation is to take place or is indicated to have taken place, it's presence should only be required in those circumstance.  This nuanced interpretation places the burden of "easy identification" of language identifier on the transformation action.  Since transformation is explicitly not mandatory the solution for "easy identification" of a language identifier does not need to be a standard and the transformer can perform this task in any way that meets their needs.  This nuanced interpretation of "easy identification" may or may not require review outside of the IRT group.

Answer (Roger Carney, GoDaddy and former T/T PDP WG member): Judging intent of “should”/”must” is a bit tough for me as I was just a loose observer of this IRD WG. But as this language is from a non-consensus policy working group that the T/T PDP WG reviewed and considered (as asked to do so by the GNSO and Board), it’s exact form and probably intent was not carried on by the T/T PDP WG. In comparing T/T Recommendation 2 to this IRD recommendation you can see that they are close in meaning but I think purposefully not exact (i.e. “tagging” and “always be available” were not carried through).

Answer (James Galvin, Afilias, T/T PDP WG member, Chair IRD Expert WG): Taken in context, my personal recollection is that the use of "should" is synonymous with the use of "MUST" in an IETF protocol specification context.  However, the statement itself must be evaluated in the context of the full document.  Section 2.3 describes the technical considerations that manifest given a mandatory requirement to be present.  Section 4.3 defines the verb "to tag" as a requirement for knowing with deterministic certainty the language and script in use, explicitly not suggesting a specific solution.  Section 7 recommends next steps given acceptance of the recommendations from the final report, in particular a follow-up effort to review the policy implications of the recommendations.  Taken all together, the IRD Expert working group is advice to the community regarding an idealized solution to the issue of "internationalized registration data".  It should be understood to describe a goal the community should want to attain eventually, given it is not possible to do it all at once.

Answer (Roger Carney, GoDaddy and former T/T PDP WG member): I don’t recall if there was specific recognition of “conditionality” of this recommendation in the PDP. As mentioned above and during several prior meetings, I considered all of the IRD recommendations “conditional.” The analysis and recommendations from the IRD were very useful but I (and I think many members of the T/T PDP) used it as input not facts or requirements.

Answer (James Galvin, Afilias, T/T PDP WG member, IRD Expert WG Chair): That "tagging" recommended by the IRD WG was not conditional.  Although I do not recall explicit discussion of this specific issue in the T/T WG, I know that the IRD final report was considered input and guidance within the T/T WG, which then made appropriate policy recommendations based on considering the IRD final report advice in the context of the scope of work delegated to the T/T WG.  Thus, the short answer to your question is "yes".

Answer (Roger Carney, GoDaddy and former T/T PDP WG member): I think the intent was “whatever is needed” for identification.

Answer (James Galvin, Afilias, T/T PDP WG member, IRD Expert WG Chair): I do not recall specifically how "/" was read out during discussions.  Nonetheless, I know from a technical perspective the answer has to be "and".  In the general case, it simply is not possible to ensure transformation from one form to another and back to the original without loss of information if both a language and a script tag are not present.  It is true that in the majority of cases if only one is specified the other can be inferred, but greater success is present when this is done manually than when this is not programmatically.

Answer (Roger Carney, GoDaddy and former T/T PDP WG member): When the PDP was working on this language, I recognized that the current WHOIS system, with some modifications, including the RDAP component, may be able to support these recommendations, but not seeing how or when these modifications would be introduced I assumed these recommendations would be used as input into the Next Generation RDS PDP. As everyone has heard me say multiple times I never considered RDAP as a WHOIS replacement system and the text in multiple recommendations does confirm this (i.e. RDAP does not collect, store or display data, it is a communications protocol). More generally and overriding, my intent in the PDP was that these recommendations were holistic in nature. All of these recommendations would be considered together and were only applicable if a registry/registrar chose to translate/transliterate and that there was a system in place for collecting, storing, retrieving and displaying of originally collected data and applicable transformations of that data.

Answer (James Galvin, Afilias, T/T PDP WG Member, IRD Expert WG Chair): It is my recollection that because WHOIS-related activities were still in progress and more were envisioned, it was best to leave the answer to that question to be determined when it was needed.  Today, I would say "yes", there is a relationship between implementing these recommendations and the ongoing work in the Next Generation RDS PDP working group.  It is our responsibility to identify conflicts and state what can be done now and what should be deferred pending the outcome of that work.  There is also the second "WHOIS Review Team" being created; we should consider if there are any conflicts with its expected work product(s).

Answer (Roger Carney, GoDaddy and former T/T PDP WG member): First, I think we should (re)educate contracted parties that US-ASCII is not the only output allowed. The Advisory from 27APR2015 clearly recommends use of US-ASCII but does allow non-US-ASCII if it is encoded in UTF-8 (section I.3). With this knowledge and as I stated above I think that these recommendations should be treated holistically.

Answer (James Galvin, Afilias, T/T PDP WG member, IRD Expert WG Chair): I agree with Roger.  Shorter answer to the question is "yes".