Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Attendees: 

Sub-group Members:     David McAuley, Erich Schweighofer, Farzaneh Badii, Finn Petersen, Freg Shatan, Griffin Barnett, Herb Waye, Jeff Neuman, Philip Corwin, Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix, Seun Ojedeji, Steve DelBianco, Thiago Jardim, Wale Bakare   (14)

Observers/Guests:  Mark Carvell

Staff:  Bernard Turcotte, Brenda Brewer, Meghan Healy, Nigel Hickson   (4)

Apologies:  Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Avri Doria, Bartlett Morgan

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to acct-staff@icann.org **

Transcript

• Word Doc
  • PDF

Recording

Agenda 

1.     Welcome

4.     Review of decisions and action items from last call (2 minutes)

4.1.  Decisions:

4.1.1.       Email   Email to questionnaire respondents regarding additional statements or participation is approved.

4.2.  Action Items:

4.2.1.       GS   GS – to send email to questionnaire respondent as decided above.

4.3.  Requests

4.3.1.       Participants   Participants asked to include any issues they have on the issues list within the next two weeks. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zAMj3Oz8TEqbjauOyqt09Ef-1ada9TrC7i60Mk-7al4/edit#gid=0

Please note that these are the unofficial transcript. Official transcript will be posted 2-3 days after the call

Decisions:

• Will begin formal discussion of the issues list on the next call.
  • Request ICANN Legal to present on OFAC and the fact that there is no jurisdiction in the Registry or Registrar contracts.

Action Items:

• GS – to send email to questionnaire respondent as decide above.
  • GS – To request ICANN Legal to present on OFAC and the fact that there is no jurisdiction in the Registry or Registrar contracts.

Requests:

Documents Presented

Chat Transcript

Brenda Brewer: (7/18/2017 07:43) Good day and welcome to Jurisdiction Subgroup Meeting #38 on 18 July 2017 at 13:00 UTC!

Brenda Brewer: (07:43) If you are not speaking, please mute your phone by pressing *6 (star 6).  This call is recorded.

Brenda Brewer: (07:43) Reminder to all, please speak slowly and state your name before speaking for the Captioner.  Thank you!

Bonnie-CART: (07:47) Good Morning!  Can you please tell me who will be leading this meeting?

Brenda Brewer: (07:48) Greg Shatan is the Rapporteur.

Bonnie-CART: (07:48) Thank you very much!

Brenda Brewer: (07:48) You're welcome!

Bonnie-CART: (07:52) Yes, I can

Brenda Brewer: (07:52) Great!

David McAuley: (08:00) I am #3200

Brenda Brewer: (08:00) Thank you , David

David McAuley: (08:01) I have an intern with me, Jonatahn Peyster

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:01) hello all

Brenda Brewer: (08:02) For the record, no answer from Kavouss' dial out

Farzaneh Badii: (08:03) Hi, is the meeting in process? I can't hear anything

Brenda Brewer: (08:03) Meeting has not started yet

Farzaneh Badii: (08:03) really? am I early?

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:03) no

Brenda Brewer: (08:04) Will start momentarily

Farzaneh Badii: (08:04) I thought so. I am never early!

Nigel Hickson: (08:04) good afternoon

Wale Bakare: (08:07) Good afternoon all

Philip Corwin: (08:07) Good day all

Thiago: (08:10) next two weeks?

Herb Waye Ombuds: (08:14) sorry I'm late... :-) Hello everyone

Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix: (08:15) I did flesh it out  (the first one) since I was the one to present the case that introduced that issue

David McAuley: (08:18) good point Greg, some on list may turn out not to be issues

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:29) Time Check - 30 minutes left in the call

Brenda Brewer: (08:30) Anonymous has dialed in, if connected to Adobe, please identify name for attendance.

Philip Corwin: (08:31) If Anonymous provides his/her identity he/she will no longer be anonymous ;-)

Thiago: (08:31) Let him be there :)

Thiago: (08:31) the transcripts are going to be publicly available in any case, arent they?

Farzaneh Badii: (08:32) how do you know it's a "he" Thiago ...:)

Thiago: (08:32) Farzaneh. Sorry :)

Thiago: (08:32) I presumed that if "he" was a "she", she would have introduced herself

Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix: (08:33) ICANN legal already commented on that particular issue actually :)

Thiago: (08:33) but nothing justifies my lapsus

Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix: (08:33) however getting them to talk to us I guess it can be interesting!

Farzaneh Badii: (08:34) I agree with Thiago. we also need an independent expert

Steve DelBianco: (08:34) Greg -- please request ICANN to dicument its previous experience obtaining waivers for OFAC and other national sanctions

Farzaneh Badii: (08:35) I agree with Steve as well.

Philip Corwin: (08:36) For the record, I do not regard OFAC as a "problem", just as a fact. And my point was that many nations have sanctions regimes they impose on designated organizations and nations, so this issue would exist if ICANN was incorporated in a large number of nations.

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:36) @Steve I beleive this will be part of the request

Farzaneh Badii: (08:37) I think we have established quite well that other countries have sanctions in place. But ICANN is located in the US and its sanctions can affect people in non-SDN list. so we need to address the issues

Thiago: (08:39) Sure, thank you.

Farzaneh Badii: (08:40) registered offices in other locations I believe

Philip Corwin: (08:41) I look forward to a full and informed discussions of how, if at all, OFAC prevents certain individuals, companies, and nations from participation in core ICANN activities. I believe that is the relevant issue for this group, and not whether any nation's sanctions regime is sound policy.

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:41) Thiago is that a new hand?

Thiago: (08:41) Old and gone

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:41) thanks

Thiago: (08:41) thank you

Farzaneh Badii: (08:42) yes phil we are not talking about whether OFAC is good or bad.

Farzaneh Badii: (08:42) also it's not only about participation in ICANN policy it's about transactions with ICANN and contractual relations with ICANN

Thiago: (08:42) A question related to OFAC is how this fact affects ICANN activities

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:47) Time Check - 13 minutes left in call

Jeff Neuman: (08:49) I certainly know about that case :)

Farzaneh Badii: (08:49) smiley vs ICANN?

Jeff Neuman: (08:50) Yes

Farzaneh Badii: (08:50) Jeff you got yourself into this

Jeff Neuman: (08:50) I got myself into that case as well

Philip Corwin: (08:51) @Thiago--agreed on the central OFAC question

Seun: (08:51) Yeah thanks for calling for issues

David McAuley: (08:52) Hopefully the Smiley case has something to do with emoji

Jeff Neuman: (08:52) UNfortunately not....it deals with lotteries

Farzaneh Badii: (08:52) we have been listing those OFAC issues for the past 10 days, would be nice if others could also add to the list if they know of issues

Farzaneh Badii: (08:53) thanks all

Herb Waye Ombuds: (08:53) bye everyone

Farzaneh Badii: (08:53) good bye

Seun: (08:53) Thanks and bye

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:53) thanks all - goodbye

David McAuley: (08:53) Thanks all, bye

Philip Corwin: (08:53) Bye all

Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix: (08:53) bye

Thiago: (08:53) bye