Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Sub-group Members:  Avri Doria, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Elizabeth Andrews, Fiona Asonga, Julia Charvolen, Julie Hammer, Sebastien Bachollet, Track Hackshaw

Observers/Guests: Andreea Brambilla

Staff:  Bernard Turcotte, Karen Mulberry, Yvette Guigneaux

Apologies:  Renata Aquino Ribeiro

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to acct-staff@icann.org **

Transcript

Recording

Agenda

1.  Roll Call

2.  Review of Actions items

• FA – Publish a draft schedule of meetings to the end of June to the Diversity list for comments. Then publish final to complete Interpretation request.
  • FA – Post a request for volunteers to join the Recommendations drafting group.

3.  Work plan with regards to plenary feedback

4.  AOB 

Notes (including relevant portions of chat):

9 Participants at start of call.

1. Roll Call

2. Status of Action Items

Fiona Asonga - both completed. Review of participants to the drafting team.

Bernard Turcotte – Co-Chairs have made the request to ICANN for interpretation of Diversity meetings. Please note that within a few weeks all CCWG-Accountability meeting will have English captioning at least until the end of June 2017.

3. Work plan with regards to plenary feedback

Fiona Asonga - We have been asked to reconsider when we publish the questionnaire by the co-chairs. We should post the questionnaire to receive general input as well as to the SOACs.

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: 42 days for public comments

Julie Hammer (SSAC): Could we ask for 42 days, even though not a public comment, recognising that we cannot dictate.

avri doria: if we can't impose a date, then any date we suggest should be fine

Fiona Asonga - would recommend 42 days for responses to questionnaire. Should we translate?

Julia Charvolen: The question came from the LAC region in the GAC.  One of the GAC representatives from the LAC region proposed to translate the questionnaire in Spanish.

Julia Charvolen: The GAC Leadership asked the question about the questionnaire being translated

Amal Al-Saqqaf: I don't think so

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2: I always support translations

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: i think before their answer so their members need to understand the questionnaire

Julie Hammer (SSAC): Is it an option to post the English version first and follow up with translations?

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: in their language (French ...)

avri doria: ummm, once we start to translate, one can wonder why discriminate against any language.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2: FR ES EN as a min, best if can be 6 UN if possible plus Portuguese

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: we need to show the diversity that we defend now

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2: do remember we are the DIVERSITY WG

avri doria: otherwise it can look like we only care about diversity of some non english speakers

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2: yup

avri doria: i.e. wee work in parallel?

Amal Al-Saqqaf: agree with that but it depends on the plan of the diversity subgroup deadlines

avri doria: of course taking a sevral month vaca from diversity work, can work as well.

Andreea Brambilla: Agreed, we incorporate responses as they come in. But final responses will be required to confirm status quo, views of SOs/ACs etc

Julie Hammer - work in parallel is what we have committed to do and makes sense given timing.

Fiona Asonga - any objections/ (none). So the drafting team will clean up the document which will give time to have 3 readings and the readjust the document. Once everyone is comfortable we can send it to the plenary.

Bernard Turcotte - Staff can assist with editing the document if the team wishes.

4. A.O.B

Fiona Asonga - Any AOB's? (none) Adjourned.

Decisions:

• Request the Co-Chairs send the questionnaire to the SOACs in English ASAP requesting a response in 42 days.
  • Request the Co-Chairs publish the questionnaire similarly to the Jurisdiction questionnaire in all the ICANN languages + Portuguese requesting a response in 42 days from the date of publishing.
  • The Diversity sub-group will not interrupt its work on publishing a draft set of recommendations for June 2017 while the questionnaire is active.

Action Items:

• Fiona Asonga – to write to Co-Chairs requesting publication of the questionnaire per the decisions on this.
  • Fiona Asonga – to write to drafting group to clean up current draft to begin work with the objective of completing a first draft for public comment by ICANN59.

Diversity meetings to the end of June

o   Friday 31 March 1900

o   Thursday 6 April 1300

o   Thursday 13 April 1300

o   Thursday 20 April 1300

o   Wednesday 26 April 1300

o   Thursday 4 May 1300

o   Friday 12 May 1300

o   Thursday 18 May 1300

o   Thursday 25 May 1300

o   Thursday 1 June 1300

o   Thursday 8 June 1900

o   Thursday 15 June 1900

o   Thursday 22 June 1900

Documents Presented

None.

Chat Transcript

Yvette Guigneaux:  Welcome all to the Diversity Subgroup Meeting #16  |  31 March 2017 @ 19:00 UTC!

Yvette Guigneaux:  This meeting will be recorded.  Please mute your phone when not speaking by pressing *6 (star 6)  *6 will also unmute.

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  Hello all

Yvette Guigneaux:  Fiona, are you good?

Yvette Guigneaux:  ok good, thanks Bernie

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):  yes perfect timing for an update restart... here now :  -)

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  o   Friday 31 March 1900o   Thursday 6 April 1300o   Thursday 13 April 1300o   Thursday 20 April 1300o   Wednesday 26 April 1300o   Thursday 4 May 1300o   Friday 12 May 1300o   Thursday 18 May 1300o   Thursday 25 May 1300o   Thursday 1 June 1300o   Thursday 8 June 1900o   Thursday 15 June 1900o   Thursday 22 June 1900

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  sigh all those 1300 UTC calls week after week *sigh*

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  good team:  -)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  planned  timing for draft report?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  tiny bit...  better than none ( just)

Julie Hammer (SSAC):  Times all good for me....thanks!

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  42

Andreea Brambilla:  We are in favour of releasing the questionnaire as soon as possible.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  yup just get the questions out and back in ASAP

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  it's an *and* in my view

avri doria:  how did we get so formal about asking questions. and can't we do both.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  True Bernie but the SOAC set a

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  do hit up against year end

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  42 days for public comments

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  Note you cannot dictate response times to SOACs - but you can ask for a response by X

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  but less than 60 days for SOACs is not real

Julie Hammer (SSAC):  Could we ask for 42 days, even though not a public comment, recognising that we cannot dictate.

avri doria:  if we can't impose a date, then any date we suggest should be fine

Julie Hammer (SSAC):  Thanks Cheryl, good point!

Julie Hammer (SSAC):  Will make it anout 12-14 May, if we are lucky.

Julie Hammer (SSAC):  about

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  hand

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  yes there is a few days getting the administration done

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  but we can start now :  -)

Julia Charvolen:  The question came from the LAC region in the GAC.  One of the GAC representatives from the LAC region proposed to tranaslate the questionnaire in Spanish.

Julia Charvolen:  The GAC Leadership asked the question about the questionnaire being translated

Amal Al-Saqqaf:  I don't think so

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  I always support transfer

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong:  i think before their answer so their members need to understand the questionnaire

Julie Hammer (SSAC):  Is it an option to post the English version first and follow up with translations?

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong:  in their language (French ...)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  grrr translation

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong:  for me translation is very important to understand the key message

avri doria:  ummm, once we start to translate, one can wonder why disciminate against any language.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  FR ES EN as a min, best if can be 6 UN  if possible plus Portuguese

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong:  we need to show the diversity that we defend now

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  do remember we are the DIVERSITY WG

avri doria:  otherwise it can look like we only care about diversity of some non english speakers

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  yup

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  Excellent you should include this in your request to the co-chairs

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  hand

avri doria:  i.e. wee work in parallel?

Amal Al-Saqqaf:  agree with that but it depends on the plan of the diversity subgroup deadlines

avri doria:  of course taking a sevral month vaca from diversity work, can work as well.

Andreea Brambilla:  Agreed, we incorporate responses as they come in. But final responses will be required to confirm status quo, views of SOs/ACs etc

avri doria:  yes, easy for me to say as i did not volunteer to draft.

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  Time check - 15 minutes left in call

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  a

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  no

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:  thanks everyone,  bye for now,   talk soon

Amal Al-Saqqaf:  thanks! bye

Andreea Brambilla:  thanks everyone

avri doria:  bye

Tracy Hackshaw:  Bye all

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong:  bye