Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Sub-group Members:  Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong, Amal Al-saqqaf, Andreea Brambilla, Avri Doria, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Ergys Ramaj, Finn Petersen, Fiona Asonga, Gunela Astbrink, Herb Waye, Julia Charvolen, Lars Hoffmann, Lito Ibarra, Lousewies van der Laan, Mariana Marinho, Meghan Healy, Olga Cavalli, Pam Little, Rafik Dammak, Renata Aquino Ribeiro, Wafa Dahmani   (21)

Staff:  Bernard Turcotte, Brenda Brewer, Elizabeth Andrews, Karen Mulberry, Nathalie Vergnolle, Silvia Vivanco, Terri Agnew, Tina-captioner, Tristana Webster  (9)

Apologies:  Sebastien Bachollet

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to acct-staff@icann.org **

Transcript

Recording

Agenda

1. Administrativia
•Roll Call
•At-Large Captioning Pilot Project
2.Review of Actions items
3.Diversity Data Collection - Discussion with Ergys Ramaj (DPRD)
5.Schedule check
6.AOB - Evaluation Poll

Notes

1.  Administrativia

- Roll Call

- At-Large Captioning Pilot Project: captioning pod in the AC room for test

• Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): yes captioning is a tool that lowers barriers to engagement and facilitates many, highly appropriate for us in Diversity to support 
  • Lito Ibarra: Agree, Cheryl. It is also nice in Adobe that we can set our own parameters (size, etc.)
  • Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): yes Lito many advantages Though as an android OS user for me it does still have challenges as it does not act as supported content so I have to use it on new or separate scree 'standalone 
  • Terri Agnew: As a reminder: If you do not have the bandwidth to join the call, the live Captioning streaming is available via this link: https://www.streamtext.net/player?event=ICANNHow[streamtext.net] can I participate in this meeting

2.  Review of Action Items

• Walk through remaining open action items, need to continue work on strawman doc and on questionnaire
  • Staff was invited to participate on the call - Ergys is here today
  • Work on the questionnaire has started.

3.  Diversity Data Collection - Discussion with Ergys Ramaj (DPRD)

• Introduction speech by Ergys:
    • No central collection of data on diversity
    • Different teams collect different data
    • DRDP slides were shared with the subgroup before the break, with geographical and gender data
    • Important when collecting data to know what it will be used for
    • Our team is at your disposal to help collect and analyse data
  • Rafik: Is it possible to get an understanding of how data is being collected, and what data is collected?

Ergys: we can provide a report presenting that. 

• Should we suggest a standard in the way the data is collected?

Ergys: could help smooth things

• Is there diversity data available?

Ergygs: We have data available, not necessary in the format the group'd want

• Avri: geographical diversity: have you given thoughts about the distinction between where you live and where you come from? should we ask more than 1 question?
  • Pam Little: <Question>: In terms of geography, are you currently using citizenship or residency?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): I thought different parts of ICANN uses either r both variably!

Pam Little: Then perhaps we should try to collect both data points.

Ergys: not aware of any initiative to streamline this information. It would be great to have recommendations from this subgroup on that. 

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): a recommendation for harmonisation from us would IMO be a good outcome 

avri doria: with multiple citizenships, i alwasy hate having to pick one on ICANN forms.

• Pam Little: <Question? Is there any plan to collect diversity data through the statement of interest (SOI) when one joins a working group?

Ergys: I believe that is already being done

• Cheryl: we need to be future thinking, so flexibility is important. We may have to run stress tests
  • Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Question: we discussed about gender identification and region. Has the issue of self-identification came up in any point? For instance, in regions that can create an atomization. Have you had respondents who self identified their region, have you had the request to put other in gender multiple choice etc..

Ergys: yes, we have heard several requests to do that, both for gender and geographical location

• Fiona: what feedback was received about the 5 regions that ICANN is using?

Ergys: I have heard that it was too limiting

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): Our last Community wide ICANN Geo Review is currently with the Board remember

Pam Little: that review reommended "no change'". Correct?

FIONA ASONGA 2: how long ago was that completed?

Pam Little:  the review took years.

avri doria: no change was not a good recommendation, was it? or is that just indicative of a problem that could not be solved.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): but importantly it also recommended an ability to (by country)  self re identify into one of the 5 Regions

• Rafik: looking forward to receiving your report on what data is collected, and would like to continue working with you.

ACTION (Ergys): provide report on what data is being collected by what team to the subgroup (date by which the report will be available is to be confirmed)

4.  Review of Draft questionnaire

• Fiona: the drafting team has not reduced the number of questions yet, we may need to give them more time to work on that.

ACTION (drafting team): finalize questions over the next few days

5.  Schedule check

• Fiona: Rafik and I have been updating the strawman. 
  • Rafik: when do we think we will be ready to send out the questionnaire? and when will we have a draft ready for review with the plenary? Maybe Fiona and I can work on that this week and update the plan by next week.
  • Renata Aquino Ribeiro: 2 drafts only right? for comment and final?

6.  AOB

• Evaluation Poll

Terri: thank you for letting us test the captioning. Please vote on the questions for the evaluation. 

• Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: I HAVE A CONTRIBUTION IN FRENCH  IN ANY OTHER BUSINESS (AOB) I have a problem with bandwidth

Comme ici au tchad l'Internet mobile est cher ;200 Mega= 4 $ ; donc il me reste pas beaucoup des forfait internet donc je souhaite tester captioning streaming   Donc je souhaite partager avec vous for any other business AOB:  En se basant sur le rapport :ICANN: Diversité du Monde ,Diversité de l'Internet :  Surtout l'importance des langues maternelles(une répartition plus équitable des 7 langues officielles de ICANN ) évoqué dans ce rapport :  Donc si nous voulons une diversité réussie pour un ICANN internationalisé (globalisé) essayons de commençons donc maintenant   Exemple Regardons cette annonce d'avant hier  :  https://community.icann.org/m/mobile.action#news/63157647[community.icann.org] Et précisément la partie "Qualifications: Fluency in English is a requirement for all positions"  Je souhaite suggérer dorénavant la maîtrise d'une seule langue officielle de ICANN est suffisant pour candidater Â un poste   ; C'est le travail de notre groupe DIVERSITÉ qui doit suggérer au Board cela permettra d'avoir plus

Yvette Guigneaux: English translation - As here in Chad the mobile Internet is expensive: 200 Mega = 4 $; so it not have much internet package so I want to test captioning Streaming So I want to share with you for AOB Any Other Business: Based on the report: ICANN: World Diversity, Diversity Internet: Especially important native languages (a more equitable distribution of the 7 official languages ICANN) mentioned in this report: so if we want a successful diversity for an internationalized ICANN (globalized) try to start now so Example look at this announcement before yesterday: https: //community.icann.org/m/mobile.action#news/63157647 and precisely the "Qualifications: Fluency in English is a requirement for all positions" I wish now suggest mastering a single ICANN official language is sufficient To apply for a position; It is the job of our DIVERSITY group to suggest to the Board that will have more

Documents Presented

CCWG-AWS2DraftQuestionsonDiversity.pdf

Diversity Subgroup call 13Jan17 agenda_poll.pdf

Chat Transcript

Yvette Guigneaux: (1/13/2017 08:42) Welcome all to the Diversity Subgroup, Meeting #9  |  13 January 2017 @ 19:00 UTC!

Yvette Guigneaux: (08:44) To mute & unmute phone, please press *6

Tina-captioner: (10:47) Hello!  Can you please promote me to a host?

Terri Agnew: (10:48) @Tina you are a host

Tina-captioner: (10:48) Thank you!

Terri Agnew: (10:50) @Tina, most welcome

Yvette Guigneaux: (10:58) good day everyone - would the 202# kindly identify for the record if you can see the chat?

Rafik: (10:58) hi everyone

Ergys Ramaj: (10:59) Hi - the 202# is me

Silvia Vivanco: (10:59) Hello all

Yvette Guigneaux: (10:59) thank you Ergys

Lito Ibarra: (11:00) Hello

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (11:00) Hello to all et bonsoir à tous

Herb Waye Ombuds: (11:01) Hello everyone

Olga Cavalli: (11:05) hello all

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:06) yes captioning is a tool that lowers barriers to engagement and facilitates many, highly appropriate for us in Diversity to support

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:07) echo

Lito Ibarra: (11:07) Agree, Cheryl. It is also nice in Adobe that we can set our own parameters (size, etc.)

Olga Cavalli: (11:07) echo

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (11:09) Hi everyone! i am just reading the transcript today, connectivity issues on my end, apologies.

FIONA ASONGA 2: (11:10) Hallo Renata feel free to send in text comments

Lito Ibarra: (11:10) That's another good thing about captioning, Renata

Yvette Guigneaux: (11:10) scrolling available if needed

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:10) yes Lito many advantages Though as an android OS user for me it does still have challenges as it does not act as supported content so I have to use it on new or separate scree 'standalone

Terri Agnew: (11:10) As a reminder: If you do not have the bandwidth to join the call, the live Captioning streaming is available via this link: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.streamtext.net_player-3Fevent-3DICANNHow&d=DgIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=xjNMRR-fjlgBx7tqUEv8lZv2O9RJyMyqWkymcecegCUuwDxFVsW6VBuvkqKnS_lk&m=yUEOq9EUk7TRVKQJtJH_QJysf4JwWZxwztX29RQORQw&s=K8GPm_iw9KkllDtkk1GOwGHwL28a-SNunuaam80h-OY&e=  can I participate in this meeting

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:11) thx Terri that is the stand o

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:12) alone I referred to

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:16) such a report would be most helpful... thx

Yvette Guigneaux: (11:17) Hi Rafik - please kindly mute your computer speakers to eliminate the echo

avri doria: (11:21) having other is probably a good start.  if many start to check other, it may become time to differntiate further.

Pam Little: (11:21) <Question>: In terms of geography, are you currently using citizenship or residency?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:23) I thought different parts of ICANN uses either r both variably!

Pam Little: (11:24) Thanks Cheryl. Then perhaps we should try to collect both data points.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:24) a recommendation for harmonisation from us would IMO be a good outcome

avri doria: (11:24) thanks

FIONA ASONGA 2: (11:25) It would be good to harmonise

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:25) yup

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:25) as that trends to predictability (one hopes)

Pam Little: (11:27) <Question? Is there any plan to collect diversity data through the statement of interest (SOI) when one joins a working group?

wafa Dahmani: (11:28) Hi all

Pam Little: (11:30) @Cheryl - that's why geography is not a proxy for cultural diversity.

avri doria: (11:30) with multiple citizenships, i alwasy hate having to pick one on ICANN forms.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (11:30) Question: we discussed about gender identification and region. Has the issue of self-identification came up in any point? For instance, in regions that can create an atomization. Have you had respondents who self identified their region, have you had the request to put other in gender multiple choice etc..

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:30) back to trying not to over bias our Work with my passion, 

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:33) indeed Pam

Pam Little: (11:34) Ergys - please confirm what data points are collected in the SOI? Thank you.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (11:34) very good to know the importance of self identification thanks

FIONA ASONGA 2: (11:36) Thanks Ergys

Gunela Astbrink: (11:37) Hi everyone. Apologies for being late

FIONA ASONGA 2: (11:37) Good to know that tehre is data by country

avri doria: (11:37) and we only get new countries rarely.  good idea.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:37) Our last Community wide ICANN Geo Review is currently with the Board remember

Pam Little: (11:38) @Cheryl - that review reommended "no change'". Correct?

FIONA ASONGA 2: (11:38) @ Cheryl how long ago was that completed?

avri doria: (11:39) no change was not a good recommendation, was it?

Pam Little: (11:39) @Fiona - the review took years.

avri doria: (11:39) or is that just indicative of a problem that could not be solved.

FIONA ASONGA 2: (11:39) When did it conclude?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:39) but importantly it also recommended an ability to (by country)  self re identify into one of the 5 Regions

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (11:39) I HAVE A CONTRIBUTION IN FRENCH  IN ANY OTHER BUSINESS (AOB) I have a problem with bandwidth

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (11:39) Comme ici au tchad l'Internet mobile est cher ;200 Mega= 4 $ ; donc il me reste pas beaucoup des forfait internet donc je souhaite tester captioning streaming   Donc je souhaite partager avec vous for any other business AOB:  En se basant sur le rapport :ICANN: Diversité du Monde ,Diversité de l'Internet :  Surtout l'importance des langues maternelles(une répartition plus équitable des 7 langues officielles de ICANN ) évoqué dans ce rapport :  Donc si nous voulons une diversité réussie pour un ICANN internationalisé (globalisé) essayons de commençons donc maintenant   Exemple Regardons cette annonce d'avant hier  :  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_m_mobile.action-23news_63157647&d=DgIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=xjNMRR-fjlgBx7tqUEv8lZv2O9RJyMyqWkymcecegCUuwDxFVsW6VBuvkqKnS_lk&m=yUEOq9EUk7TRVKQJtJH_QJysf4JwWZxwztX29RQORQw&s=NsiP0lBebH4oPgDDKRiH8xvck3At1vPmQ_ay3CaFjas&e=  Et précisément la partie "Qualifications: Fluency in English is a requirement for all positions"  Je souhaite suggérer dorénavant la maîtrise d'une seule langue officielle de ICANN est suffisant pour candidater  un poste   ; C'est le travail de notre groupe DIVERSITÉ qui doit suggérer au Board cela permettra d'avoir plus

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:41) it also recommended and reviews new /adjusted 'country list's within the ICANN 5 Region model

Pam Little: (11:41) @Fiona. You may find the final report here https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_public-2Dcomments_geo-2Dregions-2D2015-2D12-2D23-2Den&d=DgIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=xjNMRR-fjlgBx7tqUEv8lZv2O9RJyMyqWkymcecegCUuwDxFVsW6VBuvkqKnS_lk&m=yUEOq9EUk7TRVKQJtJH_QJysf4JwWZxwztX29RQORQw&s=5FVgyjO1OvFOLRPxqnktvDdlcpB8erKh2ekFkXWExuk&e=

avri doria: (11:43) but there are enough of you that a bi-fluent so for now someone can translate

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:43) it is a cost not a logistics issue re language services use usually

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:43) ALAC. At-Large Utah

Yvette Guigneaux: (11:43) translation per Google translate:

Yvette Guigneaux: (11:44) As here in Chad the mobile Internet is expensive: 200 Mega = 4 $; so it not have much internet package so I want to test captioning Streaming So I want to share with you for AOB Any Other Business: Based on the report: ICANN: World Diversity, Diversity Internet: Especially important native languages (a more equitable distribution of the 7 official languages ICANN) mentioned in this report: so if we want a successful diversity for an internationalized ICANN (globalized) try to start now so Example look at this announcement before yesterday: https: //community.icann.org/m/mobile.action#news/63157647 and precisely the "Qualifications: Fluency in English is a requirement for all positions" I wish now suggest mastering a single ICANN official language is sufficient To apply for a position; It is the job of our DIVERSITY group to suggest to the Board that will have more

avri doria: (11:44) as long as the other language is French or Spanish

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:44) utilise more than the 7 most calls run in 3 language choices similar

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:45) read simultaneously not similar

wafa Dahmani: (11:45) it's not clear

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:45) APRALO regularly has Chinese other Regions Russian  etc.,

Yvette Guigneaux: (11:46) you should be good now Fiona

avri doria: (11:46) i love the captioning, makes it possible to go back a reread what someone said when i did not understand it the first time.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:46) yes Avri. a great tool

Pam Little: (11:46) + 1 Avri re captioning

Yvette Guigneaux: (11:46) 815-553-9045, welcome - there was some background noise so we muted the line

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (11:46) avri yes, also lookup slangs we never really understand

Yvette Guigneaux: (11:46) if you would like to speak *6 to unmute

Gunela Astbrink: (11:47) +1 for captioning

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:47) and captions can be in many languages as we should also note

Yvette Guigneaux: (11:47) you're welcome fiona

Rafik: (11:47) yes, it is pilot proket and get testing for today only. we need to make the pilot a long term :)

Gunela Astbrink: (11:48) + Rafik

Gunela Astbrink: (11:48) +1

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:49) seems reasonable Financial

Olga Cavalli: (11:49) +1

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (11:50) argh auto correct monster....   Fiona not Financial GRRR sorry

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (11:51) on the screen not the latest version right?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (11:51) of questionnaire, sorry the item has passed now i see

FIONA ASONGA 2: (11:52) @Cheryl hehehe

Yvette Guigneaux: (11:52) schedule check in full on screen

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (11:55) 2 drafts only right? for comment and final?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (11:59) I don't understand the note in French

Yvette Guigneaux: (12:00) here it is in English Renata:

Yvette Guigneaux: (12:00) As here in Chad the mobile Internet is expensive: 200 Mega = 4 $; so it not have much internet package so I want to test captioning Streaming So I want to share with you for AOB Any Other Business: Based on the report: ICANN: World Diversity, Diversity Internet: Especially important native languages (a more equitable distribution of the 7 official languages ICANN) mentioned in this report: so if we want a successful diversity for an internationalized ICANN (globalized) try to start now so Example look at this announcement before yesterday: https: //community.icann.org/m/mobile.action#news/63157647 and precisely the "Qualifications: Fluency in English is a requirement for all positions" I wish now suggest mastering a single ICANN official language is sufficient To apply for a position; It is the job of our DIVERSITY group to suggest to the Board that will have more

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (12:01) thank you for this translation

Yvette Guigneaux: (12:02) yw

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (12:03) thanks

wafa Dahmani: (12:04) thank you all

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (12:04) good to hear about the data capture status briefing...  much to discuss of course... thanks everyone...  bye

Lito Ibarra: (12:04) Thank you all. Bye

Silvia Vivanco: (12:04) Thank you to Rafik and this group for allowing us to test captioning today

FIONA ASONGA 2: (12:04) Thanks

Silvia Vivanco: (12:04) bye now

avri doria: (12:04) bye

Herb Waye Ombuds: (12:05) So long have a nice weekend

Gunela Astbrink: (12:05) bye

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (12:05) a