Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Migrated to Confluence 4.0

Beau Brendler:                          Okay, that’s okay.  We can consider that finished at this point.

Wiki MarkupAlan Greenberg:                       In which case, I’d like to go back to the previous group, the public consultation on which ALAC’s preparing statements, and I don’t know whether your \[air\] is accurate or not, but we are supposed to be preparing a statement of PEDNR post expiration domain name recovery.  Whether we are or not, I’m not sure, but the public comment period closes on the 22{^}nd^, it’s a PDP that was initiated by ALAC; it would really be nice if ALAC has a comment to make.\\Greenberg:                       In which case, I’d like to go back to the previous group, the public consultation on which ALAC’s preparing statements, and I don’t know whether your [air] is accurate or not, but we are supposed to be preparing a statement of PEDNR post expiration domain name recovery.  Whether we are or not, I’m not sure, but the public comment period closes on the 22nd, it’s a PDP that was initiated by ALAC; it would really be nice if ALAC has a comment to make.

Beau Brendler:                          Okay.

Beau Brendler:                          I notice that Eric Brunner-Williams has joined.  I don’t know if Eric is on – are you just in the Adobe Chat room, or are you also on the call, Eric?
unmigrated-wiki-markup

\[crosstalk\]\\

Beau Brendler:                          I just wondered if you had an opinion or reflection on this, you know since you are the representative for unaffiliated members.

Evan Liebovitch:                     Okay. Anyone else want to comment?  Eric, go ahead.

Wiki MarkupEric Brunner-Williams:            Thank you, speaking to Alan’s point, going back to the last two years, when I was working for \[Core\], which is not a contracted party as a registry operator even though it operates the back end for two registries, it is a contracted party as a registrar. So when I went attend the registry constituency meetings, now the registry stake-holder meetings, I would be asked to leave in each meeting when they discussed contract terms.  Now, those contract terms actually were discussions of performance levels, leading to the current SLA requirements in the proposed contract. :            Thank you, speaking to Alan’s point, going back to the last two years, when I was working for [Core], which is not a contracted party as a registry operator even though it operates the back end for two registries, it is a contracted party as a registrar. So when I went attend the registry constituency meetings, now the registry stake-holder meetings, I would be asked to leave in each meeting when they discussed contract terms.  Now, those contract terms actually were discussions of performance levels, leading to the current SLA requirements in the proposed contract. 

So what was occurring was VeriSign, Affilius, and NewStart and of course their clients, who don’t actually have back ends, were all preventing a registry backend operator from participating in the discussion of what registry operators will need to be qualified to operate registries in the future.  And the future is now here. This has lead to a – whether or not this is a direct consequence, or simply a coincidence, either way, the requirements for the 2011 applicants are enormously higher than the 2004 applicants, which were higher than the requirements for the 2000 applicants.