- Category: ICANN Structures
- Topic: Initiation of Early Awareness Procedures
- Board meeting date: 20 November 2007
- Resolution number: (__)
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-20nov07.htm
- Status: Completed
Board directs staff to perform "early awareness tracking" of a Global Policy Proposal for ASNs.
Olof Nordling advised that there is a global policy development for the allocation of Autonomous System Numbers and handling transition from 2 byte to 4 bytes. The needed transition is backward compatible. It has been proposed within and approved within the RIPE community and is waiting approval with LACNIC and comments in three other RIRs. He reported that approval seems imminent and accordingly it is appropriate to seek early approval.
Thomas Narten confirmed that he did not see any problems with the proposal.
Raimundo Beca moved, and Demi Getschko seconded the following resolution:
Whereas, the Board's Review Procedures for Global Internet Number Resource Policies Forwarded for Ratification by the ASO Address Council in Accordance with the ASO MoU, in its Article 1 states that "When, in accordance with step 1 in the Global Policy Development Process of the ASO MoU (Attachment A, article 1), ICANN Staff liaising with the addressing community becomes aware of a global policy development within the scope of the ASO MoU, ICANN Staff informs the ICANN Board of this development. The Board decides, as and when appropriate, that this development should be followed by ICANN Staff and instructs the ICANN CEO to assign Staff for this purpose. ICANN Staff so assigned shall inform all ICANN Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees, shall establish an ICANN web page to be kept up to date and shall compile a background report to be kept up to date on this global policy development. This background report shall be provided to the Board as requested."
Whereas, ICANN Staff has informed the Board that a Global Policy Proposal on allocation of AS Numbers is in development and that this Proposal has entered the first adoption steps within the individual RIRs as well as being recognized by the ASO AC as a valid Global Policy Proposal.
Whereas, the Global Policy Proposal on allocation of AS Numbers is identified as a global policy development within the scope of the ASO MoU.
It is hereby resolved (__) that the Board requests that the development of a Global Policy Proposal on allocation of AS Numbers be followed by ICANN Staff in line with the Board's Review Procedures for such policy proposals and instructs the ICANN CEO to assign Staff for this purpose.
A voice vote was taken of all Board Members present and all Board Members present, with a vote of 13 to 0, approved the motion unanimously.
- Initiate "early awareness tracking" of the the Global Policy Proposal on allocation of AS Numbers.
- Responsible entity: ICANN Staff
- Due date: None specified
- Completion date: November 2007
Other Related Resolutions
- Board established review procedures for Global Internet Number Resource policies, as recorded in the Minutes of the 15 July 2005 Board Meeting, available at: 2005-07-15 - ICANN Board's Review Procedures for Global Internet Number Resource Policies.
- Other resolutions TBD.
- Background reports on Global Policy Proposal for Autonomous System Numbers posted from November 2007 onwards: http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/proposal-asn-report-29nov07.htm
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.