- Category: ICANN Structures
- Topic: Board Governance Committee's Recommendation regarding Nominating Committee Chairman
- Board meeting date: 11 September 2007
- Resolution number: 07.71
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-11sep07.htm
- Status: Completed
Board appoints Hagen Hultzsch as Chair of the 2008 Nominating Committee.
Roberto Gaetano, Chair of the Board Governance Committee, advised that seven candidates have been evaluated for the position of the Chair of the Nominating Committee. As part of the process this year, potential candidates were asked to provide a CV and respond to a number of criteria associated with the role. Some applicants withdrew from the process for various reasons. A short list of four candidates emerged and the Committee discussed these via email and ranked people. The Committee's unanimous recommendation is to propose a resolution that Hagen Hultzsch be appointed as the Chair of the Nominating Committee.
The Chair accepted this as a motion to approve Hagen Hultzsch as the Nominating Committee Chair as a recommendation of the Board Governance Committee. Peter Dengate Thrush seconded this motion.
RESOLVED (07.71), that Hagen Hultzsch is appointed as Chair of the 2008 Nominating Committee, to serve until the conclusion of the ICANN annual meeting in 2008, or until his earlier resignation, removal, or other disqualification from service.
A voice vote was taken of all Board Members present and the motion was approved unanimously by a vote of 14-0.
Peter Dengate Thrush added that he felt the BGC had done very much better than had been done in the past by setting out a job specification for the first time and sending this to potential candidates. He felt they have a very good candidate with a good understanding about what is required.
Steve Goldstein noted that it is a very onerous job and it reflects well on our status that so many people were interested.
It was agreed that Roberto would inform Hagen of the Board's decision, and there should be a formal communication as well.
- Responsible entity: Not applicable
- Due date: None specified
- Completion date: Not applicable
Other Related Resolutions
- Article VII, Section 2(1) of ICANN's bylaws, calling for the appointment of the non-voting Chair of the Nominating Committee by the ICANN Board, is available at: http://www.icann.org/en/general/bylaws.htm#VII.
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.