- Category: ICANN Structures
- Topic: GSNO Improvements
- Board meeting date: 26 June 2007
- Resolution number: 07.58
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-29jun07.htm
- Status: Completed
Board acknowledges BGC Working Group's efforts and encourages additional stakeholder input on new draft of proposed recommendations for GNSO improvements.
Whereas Article IV, Section 4 of ICANN's Bylaws calls for periodic reviews of the performance and operation of each Supporting Organization, each Supporting Organization Council, each Advisory Committee (other than the Governmental Advisory Committee), and the Nominating Committee by an entity or entities independent of the organization under review.
Whereas these reviews are part of ICANN's ongoing commitment to its evolution and improvement, and are intended to ensure an independent examination of the role and operation of key elements of ICANN.
Whereas independent reviews of the GNSO and the GNSO Council were completed and submitted to the Board.
Whereas the Board created the "Board Governance Committee GNSO Review Working Group" to consider the independent reviews and other relevant input, and recommend to the Committee a comprehensive proposal to improve the effectiveness of the GNSO, including its policy activities, structure, operations and communications.
Whereas the Working Group posted a working draft and supporting documents which present the group's initial ideas and pose key questions regarding GNSO improvements on which public comment has been and continues to be sought.
Whereas public forums were held in Lisbon and San Juan at which the community discussed the proposed draft and areas of emerging agreement, possible recommendations, and questions about how to improve the GNSO's inclusiveness and representativeness, while at the same time increasing its effectiveness and efficiency.
Whereas the public comment period comments on the working draft is continuing, and the Working Group encourages additional comments.
Whereas the Working Group will consider all input and develop a new draft of proposed recommendations for additional public comment and Board Governance Committee consideration, after which the Board will act on final proposed recommendations on GNSO improvements.
Resolved (07.58), the ICANN Board acknowledges with gratitude the work of the community and the Working Group and encourages additional public comment and stakeholder input on the draft and ideas for appropriate GNSO changes.
- Develop new draft of proposed recommendations for additional public comment and Board Governance Committee consideration.
- Responsible entity: Board Governance Committee GNSO Review Working Group
- Due date: None provided
- Completion date: 3 February 2008
Other Related Resolutions
- 15 July 2005 Resolution (05.__), asking the GNSO Council to prepare a "Terms of Reference" document to guide independent reviewer in conducting a review of the GNSO, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-15jul05.htm.
- 4 December 2005 Resolution (05.__), approving the Terms of Reference for GNSO review, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-04dec05.htm.
- 21 February 2006 Resolution appointing the London School of Economics to perform the review, available at:http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-21feb06.htm.
- 30 March 2007 Resolution (07.30), creating a GNSO Review Working Group, available at:http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-30mar07.htm#_Toc36876533.
- 15 February 2008 Resolution 2008.02.15.03, opening the GNSO Improvements Report for public comment, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-15feb08.htm#_Toc64545918.
- 19 March 2008 Resolution (__), extending the public comment period on the GNSO Review Working Group's Report on GNSO Improvements, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-19mar08.htm.
- 26 June 2008 Resolution (2008.06.26.13), endorsing GNSO Improvements Report, available at:http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-26jun08.htm.
- 31 July 2008 Resolution (__), accepting Working Group's report on new structure for GNSO Council, available at:http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-31jul08.htm.
- 1 October 2008 Resolutions, implementing a series of GNSO improvement initiatives, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-01oct08.htm.
- 11 December 2008 Resolution (2008-12-11-02), requesting that members of the GNSO community work with members of the ALAC/At-Large community to jointly develop a recommendation for the composition and organizational structure of a Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group, available at:http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-2-11dec08.htm.
- Other resolutions TBD.
- Board Governance Committee issued a GNSO Improvement report on 3 February 2008, available at: http://www.icann.org/topics/gnso-improvements/gnso-improvements-report-03feb08.pdf
- Public Comment Archive - GNSO Improvements Report, posted 25 February 2008, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/public-comment-200803.html#gnso-improvements-report-2008.
- Final GNSO Improvements Report Implementation Plan, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/topics/gnso-improvements/gnso-improvements-implementation-plan-16oct08.pdf.
- GNSO Improvements website, available at: http://gnso.icann.org/en/improvements/
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.