- Category: ICANN Structures
- Topic: Designation of Academic Representative for ICANN's 2007 Nominating Commitee
- Board meeting date: 13 March 2007
- Resolution number: 07.11
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-13mar07.htm
- Status: Completed
Board appoints Jose Luiz Ribeiro Filho as the 2007 Nominating Committee Academic Representative.
Robero Gaetano spoke to this item explaining that the Board Governance Committee had during its meeting on March 5 2007 voted to name Jose Luiz Ribeiro Filho as the Nominating Committee Academic Representative. Roberto explained that after looking at the candidates for the position, Mr. Filho was the considered the most suitable.
Vint Cerf moved and Demi Getschko seconded the following motion:
RESOLVED (07.11) that the Board the appointment of Jose Luiz Ribeiro Filho as the 2007 Nominating Committee Academic Representative.
After the motion was placed on the table, Steve Goldstein asked for clarification as to whether the Board appoints this position to the Nominating Committee. Peter Dengate Thrush indicated that the Board had the authority and had done so in previous years, adding that under the ICANN Bylaws there was a requirement for the Board to designate an organization that represents the Academic community to propose the nominee for this position. He said that the Board Governance Committee had not been able to designate an organization to make the nomination and that the Committee was filling the role of the designated organization in providing the individual nominee. Vint Cerf noted that it has been difficult to find a body that represented the academic community globally and suggested that this problem be incorporated in the Nominating Committee review.
The Board approved the resolution (07.11), 14-0 with a unanimous voice vote of all Board Members present.
- Responsible entity: Not applicable
- Due date: None specified
- Completion date: Not applicable
Other Related Resolutions
- In 2010, the Board resolved to have staff develop a selection process to identify the entity to make this appointment. See http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-25jun10-en.htm#13.
- Other resolutions TBD.
- Article VII of ICANN's bylaws, addressing the composition and selection of the Nominating Committee, is available at: http://www.icann.org/en/general/bylaws.htm#VII.
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.