- Category: gTLDs
- Topic: Consideration of Proposed .XXX Sponsored TLD Registry Agreement
- Board meeting date: 12 February 2007
- Resolution number: 07.09
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-12feb07.htm
- Status: Completed
Board directs ICM to publish a revision to the proposed .XXX Sponsorship TLD Registry Agreement for public comment and Board directs staff to provide the Board with information regarding whether sponsorship criteria for a new .XXX sTLD is met.
Whereas, a majority of the Board has serious concerns about whether the proposed .XXX domain has the support of a clearly-defined sponsored community as per the criteria for sponsored TLDs;
Whereas, a minority of the Board believed that the self described community of sponsorship made known by the proponent of the .XXX domain, ICM Registry, was sufficient to meet the criteria for an sTLD.
Resolved (07.09) that:
- the revised version of Appendix S be exposed to a public comment period of no less than 21 days; and
- ICANN Staff consult with ICM and provide further information to the Board prior to its next meeting, so as to inform a decision by the Board about whether sponsorship criteria is met for the creation of a new .XXX sTLD.
- Publish a revision of the proposed .XXX Sponsored TLD Registry Agreement for public comment.
- Responsible entity: ICM
- Due date: None provided
- Completion date: 5 February 2007 (completed prior to resolution)
- Provide further information to Board concerning whether sponsorship criteria is met for a new .XXX sTLD.
- Responsible entity: ICANN staff
- Due date: 26 March 2007
- Completion date: 26 March 2007
Other Related Resolutions
- Resolution 01.74 - Board directs President to form and chair New TLD Evaluation Process Planning Task Force (NTEPPTF): http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-04jun01.htm
- Resolution 02.97, 02.97A - Board accepts NTEPPTF report and directs President to produce plan for action for approval by Board at October 2002 meeting in Shanghai, China: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-23aug02.htm
- Resolutions 02.150, 02.151, and 02.152: Board authorizes President to implement NTEPPTF recommendations in Action Plan, requests GNSO to provide recommendation on structure of generic tol level namespace, and directs President to develop draft Request for Proposals: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-15dec02.htm#AnnualMeetingoftheTransitionBoard
- Resolution 03.112 and 03.113 - Board invites public comment on draft request for proposals for sTLDs; requests President to provide to Board detailed plan and schedule for development of appropriate long-term policy for introduction of new gTLDs: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-26jun03.htm
- Resolutions 03.166, 03.167, and 03.168 - Board calls for the development of process and policy for streamlining introduction of new gTLDs as specified in ICANNs MoU with the U.S. Department of Commerce: http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/advisory-31oct03.htm
- Resolutions 03.169, 03.170, and 03.171 - Board resolves to negotiate agreement reflecting commercial and technical terms upon completion of sTLD selection, resolves that selection process and implementation for sTLDs will be evaluated, and directs President to finalize and post open Request for Proposals for limited number of new sTLDs: http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/advisory-31oct03.htm
- Authorization for President and General Counsel to negotiate terms of .XXX Sponsored TLD Registry Agreement on 1 June 2005 Resolutions 05.32 and 05.33 at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-01jun05.htm.
- Resolution 05.75 authorizing President and General Counsel to further negotiate terms of .XXX Sponsored TLD Registry Agreement, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-15sep05.htm.
- Resolution 06.12 directing President and General Counsel to analyze all public comments for revision of the .XXX Sponsored TLD Registry Agreement, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-31mar06.htm.
- Resolution 07.09 directing ICM to publish for public comment a revision to the proposed .XXX Sponsorship TLD Registry Agreement, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-12feb07.htm.
- Resolution 07.18 rejecting the ICM revision of the .XXX Sponsored TLD Registry Agreement, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-30mar07.htm#_Toc36876524.
- Resolutions 2010.03.12.09-11 considering the Independent Review Panel Declaration on the ICM application and directing the posting of process options, at http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-12mar10-en.htm#15.
- Resolutions 2010.06.25.19 - 23 further considering the Panel declaration, accepting certain of the panel findings, and authorizing due diligence and draft contract negotiations, taking into account GAC advice, at http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-25jun10-en.htm#5.
- Resolutions 2010.08.05.21 - 23, authorizing staff to post the draft Registry Agreement and Due Diligence materials for public comment, and provide a recommendation regarding whether the proposed Registry Agreement is consistent with GAC advice, at http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-05aug10-en.htm#9.
- Resolutions 2010.10.28.18 - 19 regarding Board consultation with the GAC about the ICM application, at http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-28oct10-en.htm.
- Other resolutions TBD.
- ICM had already posted the revision of the proposed .XXX Sponsored TLD Registry Agreement; and, public comment opened on 5 February 2007. http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-05jan07.htm. See also the revised proposed .XXX Sponsored TLD Registry Agreement.
- The Board rejected ICM's application for the delegation of a .XXX sTLD to ICM at the Lisbon meeting, 30 March 2007 Resolution 07.18 at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-30mar07.htm#_Toc36876524.
- A chronological history of ICM's Application to ICANN is available at http://www.icann.org/en/irp/icm-v-icann/icm-icann-history-21feb10-en.pdf and contains links to all iterations of the proposed Registry Agreement.
- Documents relating to ICM's Request for Independent Review of 2007 denial of its application are available at http://www.icann.org/en/irp/icm-v-icann.htm.
- The Process Options for consideration of ICM's application in 2010, and comments thereon, are available at http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/public-comment-201005-en.htm#icm-options-report.
- ICM's 2010 proposed draft Registry Agreement and Due Diligence materials is available at http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/public-comment-201009-en.htm#xxx-revised-icm-agreement.
- For information on the introduction of sTLDs in 2003 - 2004, please refer to: http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/stld-apps-19mar04/
- To review public comments submitted on the 2003 round, refer to: http://forum.icann.org/mtg-cmts/stld-rfp-comments/general/index.html
- To review the Status Reports on the 2003 round, refer to: http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/stld-apps-19mar04/PostsTLDStatusRpt.pdf
- 15 December 2003 - New sTLD Application: http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/new-stld-rfp/new-stld-application-parta-15dec03.htm
- 24 June 2003 - Request for Proposals, Establishment of new sTLDs (Draft for Public Comment): http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/new-stld-rfp/new-stld-rfp-24jun03.htm
- 19 March 2004 - Status Report on sTLD Evaluation Process: http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/stld-apps-19mar04/stld-status-report.pdf
- Some analysis of the sTLD program is available in Staff's 24 September 2004 report on a strategy for introducing New gTLDs, at http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/new-gtld-strategy.pdf, and additional information can be found in the documentation of the New gTLD program, at http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/related-en.htm.
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified herein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.