- Category: gTLDs
- Topic: Global Name Registry (GNR) RSEP request to implement Limited Release of Initially Reserved Two-Character Names service
- Board meeting date: 16 January 2007
- Resolution number: 07.03
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-17jan07.htm
- Status: Completed
Board authorizes the President and General Counsel to enter into an amendment to the .NAME Registry Agreement to implement the proposed registry service.
Whereas, ICANN conducted its review of the request and determined that although there were no significant competition issues, ICANN did not have sufficient information to conclude there are no significant security and stability issues and referred the proposal to the Registry Services Technical Evaluation Panel for further evaluation.
Whereas, on 4 December 2006, the Registry Services Technical Evaluation Panel review team completed its report on the proposal <http://www.icann.org/registries/rsep/RSTEP-GNR-proposal-review-team-report.pdf>. The review team determined that the proposal does not create a reasonable risk of a meaningful adverse effect on security and stability. The report was posted for public comment during the ICANN Annual Meeting in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Whereas, based on the report of the Registry Services Technical Evaluation Panel, internal experts and other public comments, ICANN has concluded that there are no significant security and stability issues related to introduction of the proposal.
Resolved (07.03), the President and General Counsel are authorized to enter into an amendment of the .NAME Registry Agreement to implement the proposed registry service.
- Execute amendment to Agreement.
- Responsible entity: ICANN Staff
- Due date: None specified
- Completion date: 30 January 2007
Other Related Resolutions
- Resolution 01.76 and 01.77 - Authorizing President to enter .name registry agreement and to implement agreement once signed (Meeting Minutes 31 July 2001): http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-31jul01.htm
- Resolution 02.142 - Authorizing amendment to .NAME registry agreement to implement revised Whois requirements (Meeting Minutes 02 December 2002): http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-02dec02.htm
- Resolution 03.140 - Authorizing staff to negotiate amendments to .NAME registry agreement to implement second-level registration product offering (Meeting Minutes 08 August 2003): http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-08aug03.htm
- Resolution 04.94 - Authorizing amendment to .NAME registry agreement to allow additional time for implementation of EPP (Meeting Minutes 15 November 2004): http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-15nov04.htm
- Other resolutions TBD
- The GNR request was the second request after the implementation of the Registry Services Evaluation Policy (RSEP) (Effective Date of the Policy is 15 August 2006) that was referred to the Registry Services Technical Evaluation Panel (RSTEP) for review and assessment. The RSEP provides that in the event that ICANN reasonably determines during the 15 calendar day "preliminary determination" period that the proposed Registry Service might raise significant Stability or Security issues, ICANN will refer the proposal to the Registry Services Technical Evaluation Panel within five business days of making its determination.
- The RSTEP conducted their evaluation of the proposed service and in their report dated 4 December 2006 stated, "Our technical evaluation of this proposed registry service with respect to the likelihood and materiality of effects on security and stability concludes that it does not create a reasonable risk of a meaningful adverse effect on security and stability."
- The RSEP also provides that following receipt of the RSTEP report, which will be posted and available for public comment, the ICANN Board will have 30 days to reach a decision. In the event the ICANN Board reasonably determines that the proposed Registry Service creates a reasonable risk of a meaningful adverse effect on Stability or Security, Registry Operator will not offer the proposed Registry Service.
- The RSEP request information is available at http://www.icann.org/en/registries/rsep/.
- .NAME Registry Agreement: http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agreements/name/
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.