- Category: Internet Protocols
- Topic: IPv4 Global Policy
- Board meeting date: 18 February 2005
- Resolution number: 05.07, 05.08
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-18feb05.htm
- Status: Completed
Board adopts the IPv4 Global Policy Proposal, subject to public comments.
Doug Barton introduced the proposed resolution. Following additional discussion, Hagen Hultzsch moved, and Paul Twomey seconded, that the Board adopt the following resolution:
Whereas, through 2003 and 2004 the RIRs, ICANN staff, and ultimately the four regional policy forums have discussed the codification of existing global policies for allocation of IPv4 address blocks from IANA to the Regional Internet Registries (RIRs).
Whereas, consensus has been achieved in all four regions, and the ASO Address Council has forwarded the codified policy to the ICANN board for action, affirming that the Policy had been approved in accordance with the four RIR's local policy development processes.
Whereas, subsequent to the receipt of the policy proposal, ICANN, the RIRs and the NRO entered into the new ASO MOU <http://aso.icann.org/docs/aso-mou2004.html>, which was signed on 21 October 2004.
Whereas, the New ASO MOU contains a detailed Global Policy Development Process (GPDP) that outlines a detailed process related to how the board can react to a policy proposal. While the IPv4 policy recommendation predates the signing of the MOU, the Board considers it would be appropriate to conduct a review period to allow the policy to be considered and potentially finalized at the ICANN meetings in Mar del Plata, Argentina, in April 2005.
Resolved [05.07], the Board preliminarily adopts the proposed policy as a valid codification of current procedures, and directs the President to continue to follow the policy in the performance of the IANA function.
Resolved [05.08], the President and the General Counsel are directed to post the proposed IPv4 Global Allocation Policy for public comment and review by ICANN's supporting organizations and advisory committees, with the goal of finalizing adoption of the policy, barring any substantial objection from the community or constituent bodies, at the ICANN meetings in Mar del Plata, Argentina, in April 2005.
This resolution was unanimously approved by the Board, 13-0. Njeri Rionge and Peter Dengate Thrush were not present for the vote.
- Post the policy proposal for public comment.
- Responsible entity: ICANN Legal
- Due date: In time to enable Board consideration in April 2005
- Completion date: 9 March 2005
Other Related Resolutions
- Board adopted final IPv4 Global Allocation Policy, as recorded in the Minutes of the 8 April 2005 Board Meeting, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-08apr05.htm.
- Other resolutions TBD.
- Information on subsequent Global Policies on addressing and allocation is at http://www.icann.org/en/general/global-addressing-policies.html.
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.