- Category: gTLDs
- Topic: gTLD Action Plan
- Board meeting date: 15 December 2002
- Resolution number: 02.150, 02.151, 02.152
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-15dec02.htm#AnnualMeetingoftheTransitionBoard
- Status: Completed
Board authorizes President to implement NTEPPTF recommendations in Action Plan, requests GNSO to provide recommendation on structure of generic tol level namespace, and directs President to develop draft Request for Proposals.
Whereas, the Board accepted thereport of the ICANN New TLD Evaluation Process Planning Task Force (NTEPPTF) at its meeting on 23 August 2002;
Whereas, at that meeting the Board instructed the President to develop a plan for action for approval by the Board;
Whereas, the President presented An Action Plan Regarding New TLDs for discussion at the Public Forum in Shanghai on 30 October 2002, and posted that Action Plan for public comment on 8 November 2002;
Whereas, comments have been received, posted, and evaluated regarding that Action Plan;
Whereas, the Action Plan was again discussed at the Public Forum in Amsterdam on 14 December 2002; and
Whereas, the Action Plan recommends that key recommendations of the NTEPPTF report be implemented; that certain questions regarding the future evolution of the generic top-level namespace be referred for advice to the GNSO described in Article X of the New Bylaws approved in Shanghai on 31 October 2002 and as further refined at this meeting; and that steps be taken towards approval of a limited number of new sponsored gTLDs;
Resolved [02.150] that the Board authorizes the President to take all steps necessary to implement those aspects of the NTEPPTF recommendations as specified in the Action Plan;
Resolved [02.151] that the Board requests the GNSO to provide a recommendation by such time as shall be mutually agreed by the President and the Chair of the GNSO Names Council on whether to structure the evolution of the generic top level namespace and, if so, how to do so;
Resolved [02.152] that the Board directs the President to develop a draft Request for Proposals for the Board's consideration in as timely a manner as is consistent with ICANN staffing and workload for the purpose of soliciting proposals for a limited number of new sponsored gTLDs.
- Provide recommendation on whether to structure evolution of generic top level namespace and, if so, how to do so.
- Responsible entity: GNSO
- Due date: shall be mutually agreed to by President and Chair of GNSO Names Council
- Completion date: 12 June 2003
- Draft Request for Proposals for Board's consideration.
- Responsible entity: President
- Due date: None provided
- Completion date: June 2003
Other Related Resolutions
- Resolution 01.74 - Board directs President to form and chair New TLD Evaluation Process Planning Task Force (NTEPPTF): http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-04jun01.htm
- Resolution 02.97, 02.97A - Board accepts NTEPPTF report and directs President to produce plan for action for approval by Board at October 2002 meeting in Shanghai, China: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-23aug02.htm
- Resolution 03.112 and 03.113 - Board invites public comment on draft request for proposals for sTLDs; requests President to provide to Board detailed plan and schedule for development of appropriate long-term policy for introduction of new gTLDs: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-26jun03.htm
- Resolutions 03.166, 03.167, and 03.168 - Board calls for the development of process and policy for streamlining introduction of new gTLDs as specified in ICANNs MoU with the U.S. Department of Commerce: http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/advisory-31oct03.htm
- Resolutions 03.169, 03.170, and 03.171 - Board resolves to negotiate agreement reflecting commercial and technical terms upon completion of sTLD selection, resolves that selection process and implementation for sTLDs will be evaluated, and directs President to finalize and post open Request for Proposals for limited number of new sTLDs: http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/advisory-31oct03.htm
- Resolutions other than those that are listed above are TBD.
- 25 March 2003, ICANN posted Criteria to Be Used in the Selection of New Sponsored TLDs as a topic paper for the Rio de Janeiro meeting.
- Comments were received on that topic paper at the Public Forum held in Rio de Janeiro on 26 March 2003 and by e-mail.
- 12 June 2003, the GNSO provided a draft final report of it New gTLDs Committee on expansion of the name space, at http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20030612.gTLDs-committee-conclusions-v7.html.
- 24 June 2003, ICANN staff posted draft materials for a request for proposals for a limited number of new sTLDs.
- Draft materials discussed at ICANN Public Forum in Montréal on 25 June 2003 and opened for public comment by e-mail.
- Information on the 2004 RFP for sTLDs is at http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/stld-apps-19mar04/.
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.