- Category: gTLDs
- Topic: New TLD Evaluation Process Planning Task Force
- Board meeting date: 23 August 2002
- Resolution number: 02.97, 02.97A
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-23aug02.htm
- Status: Completed
Board accepts NTEPPTF report and directs President to produce plan for action for approval by Board at October 2002 meeting in Shanghai, China.
Whereas, the Board at its Stockholm meeting in June 2001 adopted the following resolution:Resolved [01.74], the Board directs the President to form and chair a New TLD Evaluation Process Planning Task Force, for the purpose of recommending to the Board and the broader Internet community, by means of a report to be discussed at ICANN's Montevideo meeting in September 2001:(a) a plan for monitoring the introduction of new TLDs and for evaluating their performance and their impact on the performance of the DNS. This assessment should focus in technical, business, and legal perspectives and rely on data gathered as part of the contractual arrangements with the new TLDs as well as other data inputs that can be readily secured; and
(b) a schedule on which a plan should be executed;
Whereas, the President formed the New TLD Evaluation Process Planning Task Force (NTEPPTF);
Whereas, NTEPPTF duly produced and presented to the Board such a plan and schedule, following a 30-day public comment period;
Whereas, NTEPPTF has appropriately factored such comments into its report;
Whereas, the Board recognizes that current workload, staffing, and priorities make it advisable to defer acting on the NTEPPTF recommendations until the ICANN Board meeting in Shanghai, China, in October 2002;
Resolved [02.97] that the Board accepts with gratitude the NTEPPTF report and thanks the members of the Task Force for their hard work and dedication in producing the report; and
Further resolved [02.97A] that the President is directed to produce a plan for action for approval by the Board at its meeting in Shanghai, China, in October 2002.
(The Board approved the above resolutions by a 13-1-1 vote, with Mr. Auerbach opposed and Dr. Lynn abstaining.)
- Produce plan for action for approval by Board on new TLD evaluation process planning.
- Responsible entity: President
- Due date: October 2002
- Completion date: 30 October 2002
Other Related Resolutions
- Resolution ___, Board seeks community, Names Council and Staff recommendations on topic of new generic top-level domains, taking into account protection of globally famous trademarks: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-10mar00.htm
- Resolutions 00.46, 00.47, 00.48, 00.49, 00.50, and 00.51: Board adopts DNSO Council's recommendation on introduction of new TLDs and authorized implementation of new TLD program: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-16jul00.htm
- Resolution 01.74 - Board directs President to form and chair New TLD Evaluation Process Planning Task Force (NTEPPTF): http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-04jun01.htm
- Resolutions 02.150, 02.151, and 02.152: Board authorizes President to implement NTEPPTF recommendations in Action Plan, requests GNSO to provide recommendation on structure of generic tol level namespace, and directs President to develop draft Request for Proposals: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-15dec02.htm#AnnualMeetingoftheTransitionBoard
- Resolution 03.112 and 03.113 - Board invites public comment on draft request for proposals for sTLDs; requests President to provide to Board detailed plan and schedule for development of appropriate long-term policy for introduction of new gTLDs: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-26jun03.htm
- Resolutions 03.166, 03.167, and 03.168 - Board calls for the development of process and policy for streamlining introduction of new gTLDs as specified in ICANNs MoU with the U.S. Department of Commerce: http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/advisory-31oct03.htm
- Resolutions 03.169, 03.170, and 03.171 - Board resolves to negotiate agreement reflecting commercial and technical terms upon completion of sTLD selection, resolves that selection process and implementation for sTLDs will be evaluated, and directs President to finalize and post open Request for Proposals for limited number of new sTLDs: http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/advisory-31oct03.htm
- Resolutions other than those that are listed above are TBD.
- President presented action plan regarding new TLDs for discussion at Public Forum in Shanghai on 30 October 2002 and posted Action Plan for public comment on 8 November 2002.
- Comments on President's action plan have been received, posted, and evaluated.
- Action plan also discussed at Public Forum in Amsterdam on 14 December 2002.
- 25 March 2003, ICANN posted Criteria to Be Used in the Selection of New Sponsored TLDs as a topic paper for the Rio de Janeiro meeting.
- Comments were received on that topic paper at the Public Forum held in Rio de Janeiro on 26 March 2003 and by e-mail.
- 24 June 2003, ICANN staff posted draft materials for a request for proposals for a limited number of new sTLDs.
- Draft materials discussed at ICANN Public Forum in Montréal on 25 June 2003 and opened for public comment by e-mail.
- For more information on the New gTLD Program, please refer to: http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtld-program.htm
- GNSO Policy Work on new gTLDs: http://gnso.icann.org/issues/new-gtlds/
- 7 September 2007 - GNSO completed policy development process on Introduction of New gTLDs: http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/minutes-gnso-06sep07.shtml
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.