- Category: International Agreements
- Topic: Amendments to Memorandum of Understanding with Department of Commerce and Cooperative Research and Development Agreement
- Board meeting date: 10 September 2001
- Resolution number: 01.90, 01.91
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-10sep01.htm
- Status: Completed
Board authorizes the President to enter into Amendment 4 to the ICANN-DOC Memorandum of Understanding and Amendment 2 to the Cooperative Research and Development Agreement.
Whereas, on 25 November 1998 the United States Government entered a 24-Feb-2010, recognizing it as the private-sector, not-for-profit corporation to which various technical coordination tasks for the Internet would be transitioned;
Whereas, the MOU called for ICANN to develop and test various mechanisms to allow stable, private-sector technical coordination during a transition period in which the effectiveness and stability of these mechanisms would be demonstrated;
Whereas, the U.S. Government and ICANN have subsequently entered into a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) concerning root-server system improvements;
Whereas, on 3 July 2001 ICANN submitted its third status report to the US Government under the MOU describing the progress ICANN has made on completing the development and testing tasks identified in the MOU;
Whereas, while the MoU was in September 2000 amended to expire on 31 September 2001, the transition tasks will not be completed on that date;
Whereas, the U.S. Government has indicated that it is willing to extend the time for ICANN, ccTLD managers and affected governments, the RIRs, the root-server operators, and other stakeholders to complete the tasks for one more year;
Whereas, although the CRADA was extended in September 2000 until September 2001, it is estimated that nine additional months will be required to complete the root-server system improvement project.
Whereas, the U.S. Government has proposed an amendment to the MOU that provides an extension to complete the remaining tasks until 30 September 2002 or sooner if the parties agree that the tasks have been completed and an amendment to the CRADA that provides an extension until 30 June 2002;
Whereas, the language of these proposed amendments has been presented to the Board;
Resolved [01.90] that the President is authorized to enter an Amendment 4 to the MOU, in substantially the form presented to the Board;
Resolved [01.91] that the President is authorized to enter an Amendment 2 to the CRADA, in substantially the form presented to the Board.
- Enter into amendments to the MoU and CRADA.
- Responsible entity: President
- Due date: None provided
- Completion date: 28 September 2001
Other Related Resolutions
- Amendment 4 to the ICANN-DOC MOU, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/general/amend4-jpamou-24sep01.htm.
- Amendment 2 to the CRADA, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/committees/dns-root/amend2-crada-28sep01.htm.
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.