Nathalie  Peregrine:Welcome to the New gTLD Review Group on Friday 08 February 2013 at 1900 UTC
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Agenda Page: https://community.icann.org/x/94FwAg
  Eduardo Diaz:¡Hola a todos!
  Thomas Lowenhaupt:Hello.
  Adela Danciu:Hello everybody!
  Jose Arce:Hello all !!  I'll be in instead of Marcelo Telez from LACRALO
  Robert Pollard:I can hear you
  Heidi Ullrich:Robert, are you on the Adigo bridge or on the call through the Adobe Connect?
  Gisella Gruber-White:Weclome Robert
  Gisella Gruber-White:Robert Pollard = Connecting.nyc Inc. with Thomas Lowenhaupt
  Heidi Ullrich:Yrjo, we are muting your line
  Yrjö Länsipuro:ok
  Robert Pollard:Also Information Ecologist, Information Habitat: Where Information Lives - habitat.igc.org -linkedin.com/in/robertpollard G+ j.mp/rpollard en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Robert_Pollard @climatechange3
  Gisella Gruber-White:Aziz Hilali has joined the all
  Gisella Gruber-White:call
  Thomas Lowenhaupt:Note that I filed a recent comment - in the last hour.
  Aziz:Hello
  Robert Pollard:Does having an objection to .nyc constitute a conflict of interest?
  Gisella Gruber-White:@ All - apology from Justine Chew
  Heidi Ullrich:Robert, the COI only applies to official members of the Review Group
  Eduardo Diaz:ed: pass
  seth reiss:could you restate the question?
  Adela Danciu:pass - for the community delineation
  seth reiss:Pass
  Yrjö Länsipuro:pass
  Aziz:I do not have a microphone
  Adela Danciu:there are also passes from Justine and Alexandre - by email
  Heidi Ullrich:Could you write your response, Aziz?
  Aziz:i dont hear the question
  Adela Danciu:(sorry - Alexander)
  Aziz:please write it
  Heidi Ullrich:For .Amazon, do you consider that there has been enough proof established for pass/fail criteria for community objection
  Heidi Ullrich:for the first factor - level of public recognition
  Aziz:yes
  Heidi Ullrich:Thanks
  Adela Danciu:yes
  Heidi Ullrich:For the second criterion
  Eduardo Diaz:ed: pass - Boundaries - 5 boroughs identifed by all comments received
  Yrjö Länsipuro:yes
  Eduardo Diaz:pas
  Yrjö Länsipuro:yes
  Aziz:pas
  Heidi Ullrich:Third criterion: The length of time the community has existed
  Heidi Ullrich:Fourth criterion: skipped
  Eduardo Diaz:passs
  Heidi Ullrich:Fifth: The number of people or entities that make up the community
  Yrjö Länsipuro:pas
  Eduardo Diaz:Justine has indicated FAIL to all of them
  seth reiss:No, she indicated Pass on the criteria for community
  seth reiss:Maybe we need to reconfirm and go through again then.
  Adela Danciu:ok, how do we proceed from now on: checking agree or typing in chat?
  Robert Pollard:link to comments just mentioned?
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Link to Alex Kondaurov comments: http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/newgtldrg/2013-February/000264.html
  Gisella Gruber-White:Yrjö - you are unmuted
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Link to Justine Chew comments: http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/newgtldrg/2013-February/000267.html
  Aziz:ok
  Eduardo Diaz:For second crietria: pass
  Robert Pollard:Thanks, Olivier
  Aziz:the question please
  Heidi Ullrich:The length of time the community has been in existence
  Aziz:pas
  Adela Danciu:I would consider it regional, rahter than global
  Gisella Gruber-White:Aziz has to leave the call
  Adela Danciu:and the 4th criterion is optional, so I would suggest skip it
  seth reiss:Lets do it in the alternative, either we agree its territorial or it is not necessary to address
  Adela Danciu:it does not apply
  Yrjö Länsipuro:not applicable
  seth reiss:I prefer to say it does not apply as well
  Jose Arce:Yes
  Jose Arce:Sorry Dev, Can you repeat the question
  Adela Danciu:have we received support for this comment from RALOs as reply to your email, Dev?
  Jose Arce:No, Dev, many people made comment but regard other  string
  seth reiss:I need to step away for a second
  Yrjö Länsipuro:if only govts are objecting, that might not be substantial enough as far as we are concerned
  Eduardo Diaz:+1
  seth reiss:I am back but I did not hear the last question
  Eduardo Diaz:I wan t to retract my +1. I missed read Yrjo. I said is a pass based on GAC early warning and ACTO
  Eduardo Diaz:If we take into consideration teh number of people in the contries involved
  Adela Danciu:on the other hand, even with 2 govt objecting (as I understand from GAC EW) , what would be a "sufficient number" of oppositions to be considered in an objection ...?
  Eduardo Diaz:I beleive a government represents evrybody in that country
  seth reiss:understood
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:very valid point Robert. Unfortunately, we were bound by having no budget to publicise this in mainstream media. The Review Group Chair did ask on the Governance list, outside ICANN, I believe. Also, our LACRALO ALSes should have done their bit in asking their members. A lot of ALSes in that region, so there *was* consultation. Just not mainstream media :-(
  Adela Danciu:sth like that - there will be another check
  Eduardo Diaz:Lest's take a tally
  Adela Danciu:the problem is actually we don't have enough numbers of expressions for ANY of the strings ...
  Eduardo Diaz:pass
  Adela Danciu:from At-large I mean
  seth reiss:Yes, we need to have YL's suggestion repeated
  Adela Danciu:I understand (and agree deep down) with Yrjo's concern, but I'm trying to be practical here ...
  Eduardo Diaz:Both  JC and  AK indicated pass to this criteria
  Robert Pollard:From a process perspective, it would seem to make sense to pass on objections, both to allow additional time to mobilize / organize opposition, as well as to move into a next level of engagement with the ICANN process.  If ALAC fails all the objections, it's work is esentially over for this round of new gtlds
  seth reiss:Deve
  seth reiss:Dev, you shoudl probably give us a deadline to submit our responses in writing
  Eduardo Diaz:Seith: +1
  Adela Danciu:or let's finalise at least this application in order to set the pattern ...?
  Eduardo Diaz:next saturday is tomorrow or staurday next week
  Eduardo Diaz:ok
  Eduardo Diaz:Ok with me.
  seth reiss:can you give us one more day.  That is 6 AM tomorrow for me and I have a full day
  Adela Danciu:@Seth +1
  Adela Danciu:16 UTC Sunday?
  seth reiss:yes
  seth reiss:very merciful of you
  Adela Danciu:the docs will be sent via the list, so everybody will receive them anyway, isn't it?
  Robert Pollard:The at-large community / general public is always at a significat dsadvantage in engaging in governance,,  and this is particulalry the case with as the largely untested and still-developing CANN bureacracy. It might be helpful to acknowledge this in the expression of support for the objections
  seth reiss:are we talking about Amazon Detriment now?
  Eduardo Diaz:@seith: yes
  seth reiss:I probably dissagree with Justine's assessment because I think we need to consider long term affects on the communities ability to utilize a TLD string going forward, for economic and other purposes
  Robert Pollard:How about the detriment from the lost opportunity for Amazonians to establish a community / geographid tld to promote didgtal access and opportunities that could arize from a community-based .amazon
  Robert Pollard:Seth, I had begun to type this last message, and was delighted to hear you sating essentially the same thing
  Adela Danciu:key word here being "prove"
  seth reiss:It is an objection based upon theoretical considerations as opposed to historical facts
  Adela Danciu:no, just mentioned my idea. thank you
  seth reiss:For example, in trademark law, a generic words is not eligible for ownership by any one person.  The detriment is proven by economic theory.  one need not award the generic word to a commerical firm to find out what happens
  Robert Pollard:May not hard to show that enhanced digital capacity, connectivity can  lead  to significant material ; Surely the eexperience of the last few decades are proof of this relationship
  Eduardo Diaz:.book is
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Seth: you might wish to comment in: https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=40927847
  Eduardo Diaz:.apple
  Adela Danciu:@Seth - following this argument would mean Amazon has not obtained trademark for its name. Which I am quite certain is no the case
  Robert Pollard:[Edited] May not be hard to show that enhanced digital capacity, connectivity can  lead  to significant material  resources and benefits; Surely the eexperience of the last few decades are proof of this relationship
  seth reiss:yes, and no.  geographic designations are often treated the same and geogrphic designations have additional protection so as not to deceive as a source indicator]
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Amazon itself is unclear if it is registered Trademark: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000756331
  Eduardo Diaz:@Seith: what about patagonia (the company) - Do they have a trademark?
  seth reiss:I am sure, but for select goods and sevices and in select countries.  A TLD is for all goods and services (everything) for all countries (everywhere)
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:usually one uses "Registered Trademark" if one has registered a Trademark. ie: (R). Just adding "tm" by the name is a Trademark that is not registered.
  seth reiss:not sure the designature as registered is significant to the issues we are facing
  Adela Danciu:@Olivier - from the link I understand the company *has* a trademark on Amazon and the other terms ...
  Robert Pollard:Would it not be important to provide for comparable level of discussion for the .nyc, .patagonia, and .health as was afforded to .amazon?
  seth reiss:Amason is a registered trademark but each country has a register and there is no such thing as a univeral registraiton.
  seth reiss:wrong, I will sleep!
  Adela Danciu:http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200738910 - see the list of trademarks
  Gisella Gruber-White:Olivier dropped
  Gisella Gruber-White:we are dialling him back
  T. Lowenhaupt:My latest .nyc comment - https://community.icann.org/display/newgtldrg/.nyc_OG
  T. Lowenhaupt:My comment was not in response to the city's comment.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:apologies -- ran out of battery. I've just plugged in again
  T. Lowenhaupt:It relates to an action it has taken.
  T. Lowenhaupt:Thinking.
  T. Lowenhaupt:Is it possible to rescind an objection?
  T. Lowenhaupt:It seems there is positive action. But I think I should first check with "my community" before commiting.
  T. Lowenhaupt:OK..
  seth reiss:I need to leave momentary
  Robert Pollard:Rachel Sterne Haot 's recent response re .nyc deserves a rebutak; and New Yorkers deserve a much better framework for .nyc - and not a superficial proposal that mostly amounts to seeing it as a promotional vehicle and a modest revenue stream, but that fails to associate itself with fundamentals of a world-class digital city that embraces universal access, strengthening digital literacy and access as well as the development of  digital structure in support of PlaNTV - plan for a greater, greener New York by reducing our ecological./ carbon footprint by substituting digital consumption, including minimizing travel and congestion - and becoming a smarter, greener New York City
  Eduardo Diaz:motion to close the meeting
  Eduardo Diaz:Gracias
  T. Lowenhaupt:Thanks once again.
  Jose Arce:Thanks Dev !!! bye all !!!!
  Adela Danciu:thank you ! good night!
  Yrjö Länsipuro:Bye
  Gisella Gruber-White:Thank you all!
  T. Lowenhaupt:We should act on those in our ballpark - not what we think others think will think of our action.
  T. Lowenhaupt:bye

• No labels