The next Privacy & Proxy Services Accreditation Issues PDP WG teleconference is scheduled for Tuesday 28th January 2014 at 1500 UTC (07:00 PST, 10:00 EST, 15:00 London, 16:00 CET).
For other places see: http://tinyurl.com/ok325z4
Adobe Connect WITH AUDIO enabled: https://icann.adobeconnect.com/ppsai/
- Roll Call/Updates to SOI
- Finalization of Mind Map & Discussion of Work Plan
- Discussion of Charter Questions to help inform development/finalization of Mind Map & Work Plan
Documents for Review:
MP3 Recording: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ppsa-20140128-en.mp3
Don Blumenthal - RySG
Luc Seufer - RrSG
Marie-Laure Lemineur - NPOC
Michele Neylon - RrSG
Volker Greimann - RrSG
Griffin Barnett – IPC
Justin Macy – CBUC
Kathy Kleiman – RySG
Jim Bikoff – IPC
Graeme Bunton – RrSG
Tatiana Khramstova - RrSG
Nic Steinbach – RrSG
David Heasley - IPC
James Bladel - RrSG
Susan Prosser – RrSG
Kiran Malancharuvil – IPC
David Cake - NCSG
Todd Williams – IPC
Valeriya Sherman – IPC
Alex Deacon – IPC
Steve Metalitz - IPC
Amr Elsadr - NCUC
Tobias Sattler – RrSG
Kristina Rosette - IPC
Gema Campillos – GAC
Carlton Samuels – ALAC
Paul McGrady – IPC
Darcy Southwell – RrSG
Ben Anderson – RrSG
Billy Watenpaugh – RrSG
Emily Emanual - BC
Statton Hammock – RySG
Holly Raiche – ALAC
Osvaldo Novoa - ISPCP
Roy Balleste – NCUC
Stephanie Perrin – NCUC
Adobe Connect Chat Transcript:
Marika Konings:Welcome to the PPSAI WG Meeting of 28 January 2014
Paul McGrady:Good morning everyone from Frozen Chicago!
Mike Zupke:Greetings, Paul.
Bladel:@Paul, just a few hours west of you...it's not so bad today. We are already above zero!
Michele Neylon:If you hear anything odd from my end it's because the building is being power washed
Michele Neylon:it's like working in a car wash today
Nathalie Peregrine:Luc Seufer has joined
Michele Neylon:in case anyone doesn't believe me :)
Nathalie Peregrine:Volker Greimann has joined
Valeriya Sherman:David Heasley is also on the call
Nathalie Peregrine:Nic Steinbach has joined
Nathalie Peregrine:thank you Valeriya, noted
Nathalie Peregrine:Gema Campillos is also on the call
Volker Greimann:I am on
Gema Campillos:Hi everybody! I´m back! I understand the letters have already been sent out. GAC members have not received them yet. I´ll brief my colleagues about the WG when the letter arrives.
Nathalie Peregrine:Amr Elsadr is also on the call
Amr Elsadr:dialling in now.
Mary Wong 2:Thanks, Gema, for the note. We will follow up with our colleagues who support the GAC to ensure that the letter (sent to the GAC Chair) is distributed to members.
Amr Elsadr:Hi. Just joined the call.
Kathy Kleiman:I think we will wind up spending way too much time on definitions if we don't have an initial threshold questions...
Nathalie Peregrine:Kristina Rosette has joined the AC room
Nathalie Peregrine:Susan Prosser has joined the call
Mary Wong 2:@James - would adding "registered" to III. (1) address your point?
Bladel:Hi Mary. I'm not sure. We can talk about the "domain name used for" or the "content associated with a domain name" which is probably a website, but could be email (commercial or non-commercial) or an app, or something eelse.
Mary Wong 2:@Michele, the SO/AC/SG/C responses may help the WG fine tune its work/questions further. You can also go back to them with additional questions/requests at some point if appropriate.
Mary Wong 2:@James, thanks. Perhaps the group can consider adding another bullet point about this under III. (1) then?
Nathalie Peregrine:Carlton Samuels has joined the AC room
Carlton Samuels:Hi everybody. My apologies for the late join
Graeme Bunton:Akin to a conditional survey
Bladel:Maybe doesn't need to be done formally, but should be kept in mind or "flagged" when found.
Nathalie Peregrine:David Cake has joinjed the call
Marie-laure Lemineur:+1 Michele
Amr Elsadr:@Michele: +1.
Carlton Samuels:No audio to me on the A/C
Michele Neylon:dial in :)
Michele Neylon:also Don seems to be coming and going volume wise
Carlton Samuels:Was about to try Skype to US TF :-)
Mary Wong 2:@Michele, are you on AC audio or phone bridge? The latter tends to be clearer and more stable.
Amr Elsadr:@Carlton. That's what I'm using. Working well.
Graeme Bunton:Don sounds fine to me using the AC Audio
Nathalie Peregrine:Carlton, we can dial out to you if you would rather not dial in
Kathy Kleiman:Ques 1 for III. Registration: Should the WG create categories of p/p customers – or continue to support the current system in which proxy/privacy services are available to companies, noncommercial organizations and individuals?
Valeriya Sherman:How and when are we planning to use the results of the WG member survey?
Michele Neylon:+1 Gema
Michele Neylon:on the audio
Michele Neylon:not on anything else :)
Marika Konings:@Valeriya - the idea would be to include these together with feedback received from SG/C/AC/SOs as input for the WG to consider in relation to each of these charter questions.
Mary Wong 2:All, FYI - the date by which we requested that SO/AC/SG/Cs send us their input is Friday 28 Feb.
Luc Seufer:I think Carlton ihas dialed in.
Nathalie Peregrine:Carlton, I have muted your AC mic
Carlton Samuels:No trouble. I'm finally in!!
Valeriya Sherman:Thanks @Marika and Mary.
Mary Wong 2:@Steve, that is correct - the PDP Manual obligates every WG to seek SO/AC input as early as possible in its deliberations. It does not say you have to wait till they all come in before proceeding.
Mary Wong 2:But one advantage of early input is of course that it can be helpful to the WG as it begins its work.
Marika Konings:Identifying these sub-questions may also help the WG to identify whether there are any areas that require additional data or research.
Marika Konings:as well as planning how to tackle its work (which should form the basis for the work plan)
Graeme Bunton:sounds better
Susan Prosser:much better
Marie-laure Lemineur:so have we reached an agreement re> Kathy' s question?
Gema Campillos:I hear to you better, Don.
Michele Neylon:I'll try to come back
Nathalie Peregrine:the line has been muted
Gema Campillos:hear you, sorry
Carlton Samuels:@Steve: +1 We move it along and add input from SOs/ACs as we go along. Early input - any input would be Very Helpful and will always help the conversations towards consensus
Mary Wong 2:@Marie-Laure, we will add a footnote/reference to capture Kathy's, James' and Steve's input on that and have a revised document by the next meeting.
Kathy Kleiman:Great, tx Steve!
Kathy Kleiman:Right, agree with Steve.
Marie-laure Lemineur:@steve I agree..
Kathy Kleiman:Steve: can you edit the text per the change - and we can add it as a formal ques in Section III?
Carlton Samuels:@Steve: But before we say change, let's ask the questions that probe any disability or deleterious impact associated with status quo
Bladel:How about this: What is the threshold for determining that a "class" or "category" of user/user should be denied from accessing these services?
Kathy Kleiman:James: but is there a threshold?
Gema Campillos:I have some comments, but are not related to the categories issue. May I ask them now or bring them on the mailing list?
Amr Elsadr:Wether categorzation of domain name registrants should be required of accredited service providers is the charter question, isn't it?
Mary Wong 2:@Gema, do raise your hand so Don can see it and you can speak.
Don Blumenthal:I see Gemas
Don Blumenthal:'s question. Go ahead with what you want to raise
Luc Seufer:I still have faith in ENUM!
Kathy Kleiman:I think we have agreemend on the threshold question: and I would be happy to accept Steve's edits...
Valeriya Sherman:It would make sense for us to review and incorporate input from the surveys of the WG members before we get input from SOs/ACs on Feb 28. Might help us clarify issues/definitions, identify sub-questions and move towards consensus. Thoughts?
Mary Wong 2:@Amr, that was the point Steve made initially. As mentioned we will capture these discussions in the document by way of a footnote - it may be confusing to add so many suggestions on the same point as additional questions or bullet points.
Kathy Kleiman:@Mary, the proposal is for a threshold question - a Ques. #1 in III. Registration.
steve metalitz:@Kathy, how about something like this: Currently, proxy/privacy services are available to companies, noncommercial organizations and individuals. Should there be any change to this aspect of the current system in the new accreditation standards?
Kathy Kleiman:There seems to be convergence on the language.
Graeme Bunton:Good points James
Carlton Samuels:@James: +1. I agree we start at looking at the issue and impacts, decide which ones are bad for business, set a standard for accessing and suggest a pathway to access the services
Amr Elsadr:@Mary: My understanding is as per Kathy's comment - changing the txt of the threshold question.
Kathy Kleiman:@Steve: good wording!
Mary Wong 2:@Kathy, I had thought Don had agreed to a footnote some time ago. However, if Steve and James and you agree on wording we can add this as a bullet point. indicating that it is a threshold question for III(1).
Kathy Kleiman:@Mary: I think we can add it as a threshold question in III...
Mary Wong 2:Or we can add it at the top as a threshold question.
Mary Wong 2:Yes Kathy! :)
Kathy Kleiman:Second option - tx :-)
Amr Elsadr:@Kathy: +1 (to Mary's second option). It seems there is no objection as per Steve's last suggestion.
Amr Elsadr:@Steve: Correct me if I'm mistaken please. :)
Amr Elsadr:Are there laws regarding p/p services, or are they more focused on contact data being published on the actual website's content?
Luc Seufer:@Amr not as far as know. Here, laws on hosting uses deal with hosting requirements.
Kathy Kleiman:@Marika - there seems to be some ambiguity of use of "reveal" and "publish" - should I point that out on the list?
Amr Elsadr:@Luc: Thanks. That's my understanding as well, but I am not an expert. :)
Mary Wong 2:@Kathy, that may be something for the Reveal sub group to discuss.
Mary Wong 2:(if that is how the WG decides to proceed; hence it would be helpful to decide the approach sooner rathr than later).
Kathy Kleiman:Wow Alice in Wonderland!
Mary Wong 2:And we have multiple screens too when supporting WG calls :)
Luc Seufer:Inception? IPCand NC agreeing, I knew I was dreaming
Marika Konings:@Kathy - as Mary said, developing definitions is probably something that will occur as part of the WG deliberations on these questions.
Kathy Kleiman:@Marika and Mary, I think there is a place in the new bullets where the word "publish" is used in lieu of "reveal." big difference in implications so it is something i will share.
Kathy Kleiman:... in upcoming comments.
Paul McGrady:While it took some time, I thought today's discussion was extremely helpful. Thank you all.
Volker Greimann:yes, provided it is not at 7:30 in the morning
Nathalie Peregrine:Phil Marano has joined the AC room
Marie-laure Lemineur:I support the idea of a F2F meeting in Singapore
Amr Elsadr:@Volker: +1
Phil Marano:Very sorry to be so late, I had a meeting run long.
Phil Marano:I'll listen to the recording when it is published.
Mary Wong 2:Assuming the main schedule doesn't change much, Thursday morning is usually good.
Mary Wong 2:That is what we used for the first meeting in Buenos Aires.
Carlton Samuels:@Kathy: There is indeed a difference even in the basic grammar between 'publish' and 'reveal'. In this context this is even of greater importance to respect the difference in meaning.
Tobias Sattler:@Volker: +1
Amr Elsadr:@Mary: There were some WG meetings at 07:30 in BA. They didn't attract as much participation as we would hope.
Mary Wong 2:@Amr, same thing for evenings :(
Bladel:Wait...isn't PIR a sponsor?
Amr Elsadr:I know scheduling is not easy, but WG f2f is important.
Tobias Sattler:Thank you
Amr Elsadr:Thanks Don. Bye.
Graeme Bunton:Thanks Don
Kathy Kleiman:@ Carlton: I'll put out more details soon.
Marie-laure Lemineur:tx Don and all
Luc Seufer:Thanks, bye
David Cake:thanks all
Carlton Samuels:Thanks Don. Thanks all. Stimulating discussion
Susan Prosser:thanks Don.