Motion - IANA Naming Functions Contract Amendment
Submitted by: Pam Little
Seconded by: Tomslin Samme-Nlar
- On 16 September 2018, the first IANA Function Review (IFR) was convened by the ICANN Board, in compliance with Article 18 of the ICANN Bylaws. The IFR Team (IFRT) published its Initial Report for public comment on 08 October 2020.
- The IFRT developed four recommendations, with Recommendation 4 suggesting an amendment to the IANA Naming Function Contract. The IFRT followed the Bylaws required steps regarding contract amendment recommendations found in Section 18.6, which include consultation with the ICANN Board, consultation with the Customer Standing Committee, conducting a public input session for ccTLD and gTLD registry operators, and to conduct a public comment proceeding on the amendment.
- Pursuant to the ICANN Bylaws Section 18.6 (b)(i), IFR Recommendations requiring a contract amendment must be approved by a supermajority vote of the ccNSO Council and GNSO Councils.
- The GNSO Council approves Recommendation 4 contained in the IFR Final Report, which recommends that Article VII, Section 7.1 (a) of the IANA Naming Function contract be amended to remove this statement, "The relevant policies under which the changes are made shall be noted within each monthly report" be removed from the IANA Naming Function contract.
- The GNSO Council requests the GNSO Secretariat to communicate this decision to the Co-Chairs of the IFRT and relevant ICANN staff accordingly.
Approval of the Charter for the Working Group to Conduct a Policy Development Process to Review the Transfer Policy
Submitted by: Pam Little
Seconded by: Maxim Alzoba
- On 12 January 2021, the GNSO Council received the Final Issue Report on a Policy Development Process (PDP) to Review the Transfer Policy. The Final Issue Report included a Draft Charter that incorporated a number of PDP 3.0 Improvements. It also sets out proposed scope of work and recommended a working group structure based on a “representative model”.
2. On 8 February, the GNSO Chair sought input from the chairs of all ICANN Supporting Organizations, Advisory Committees, Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies regarding the proposed membership model, the number of representatives from their community group and timing for launch the proposed PDP.
3. On 18 February 2021, the GNSO Council passed a resolution to initiate a two-phased PDP to Review the Transfer Policy which will determine if changes to the policy are needed to improve the ease, security, and efficacy of inter-registrar and inter-registrant transfers. During the 18 February 2021 meeting, the Council discussed the Draft Charter and decided to form a small group of Councilors to finalize the Charter, with a focus on the working group membership model and composition.
4. On 24 February 2021 and 4 March 2021, the Council small team discussed the input received from community groups and considerations such as expertise and technical knowledge of the Transfer Policy, interest in the topic and impact of PDP outcome.
5. On 12 March 2021, the Council small group completed its work and submitted a final version of the Charter of the PDP to Review the Transfer Policy to the full GNSO Council.
- The GNSO Council approves the Charter of the PDP to Review the Transfer Policy.
- The GNSO Council directs staff to: (a) communicate the results of this motion to the GNSO SG/Cs as well as ICANN SO/ACs and invite them to identify members and alternates for the working group following the working group composition described in the Charter; (b) initiate a call for expressions of interest seeking interested candidates to chair the PDP to Review the Transfer Policy.