Appointment of a GNSO Liaison to the Governmental Advisory Committee
Submitted by Carlton A Samuels
Seconded by Rafik Dammak
- As part of the discussions within ICANN between the GNSO and GAC, on how to facilitate early engagement of the GAC in GNSO policy development activities, a GNSO liaison to the GAC was piloted during FY15 and FY16.
- Based on the review of the GAC-GNSO Consultation Group (see http://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/review-liaison-gac-pilot-29feb16-en.pdf) and discussions between the GAC and GNSO during their joint session at the ICANN meeting in Marrakesh, the GNSO Council confirmed on 14 April 2016 role and process for a GNSO Liaison to the Governmental Advisory Committee as a permanent feature (see https://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/request-liaison-gac-30mar16-en.pdf).
- The term for GNSO liaison to the GAC ends at the Annual General Meeting and the current Liaison, Johan (Julf) Helsingius, will not be seeking to serve an additional term.
- The GNSO Council initiated a call for candidates to fill the vacancy and delegated the responsibility of the review and selection process to the GNSO Standing Selection Committee (SSC).
- One application was received and was evaluated by the SSC based on the criteria outlined in the call for candidates.
- Full consensus was achieved by the SSC for recommending that the GNSO Council appoint Jeffrey Neuman to the role of GNSO Liaison to the GAC.
- The GNSO Council hereby appoints Jeffrey Neuman to the role of GNSO Liaison to the Governmental Advisory Committee until the end of the ICANN AGM 2021.
- The GNSO Council will review the role and is expected to annually reconfirm the appointment, unless the review indicates otherwise and/or the Liaison has indicated that he/she is no longer available to continue in this role in which case a new selection process will take place and/or the review indicates.
- The GNSO Council Leadership Team will co-ordinate with Jeffrey Neuman as well as the GAC Leadership Team and GAC Secretariat on next steps and the successful implementation of this role.
- The GNSO Council thanks Julf Helsingius for his three years of service as the GNSO Council Liaison to the GAC.