Participants: Yrjö Länispuro, Bill Drake, Sébastien Bachollet, Annette Mühlberg, Wolf Ludwig, Patrick Vande Walle, Rudi Vansnick, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Christopher Wilkinson, Lutz Donnerhacke

Apologies: Dessi Greve, Adam Peake

Staff: Heidi Ullrich, Matthias Langenegger

Summary Minutes

Roll call and review of action items and minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes from the last meeting were approved.

Annette noted that she will try to attend the Chaos Computer Club Conference in December and do outreach for EURALO.

Wolf will go to the ICANN Studienkreis meeting in (21./22. Janurary 2010, Hotel "Rivoli Rambla") and the Domain Pulse meeting in Lucerne on 15 February 2010.

EURODig will be organized in Madrid in January. Interested participants can go to the preparatory meeting on 19 January at the University Complutense (Sala de Profesores, C Building, ETSI Telecomunicacion, Avenida Complutense s/n, Ciudad Universitaria, 28040 Madrid)

At-Large Policy Advice Development Schedule

Sebastien reviewed the work on the new gTLD DAGv3 Statement. The Statement is currently being discussed by the gTLD working group.

Olivier noted that the STI WG has finalised its work. Olivier and Alan collected feedback from At-Large members and bundled them into three minority positions. There was not as much feedback as they hoped for, probalby because this is a very technical issue.

Patrick gave a short overview on the work of the Expression of Interest WG and noted that the public consultation on the proposal closed recently (see

Patrick reported briefly from the community call on WHOIS-Privacy services that was held on 14 December. The issue of WHOIS privacy will be discussed on a regional level in the coming months in order to develop an At-Large position on WHOIS.

ICANN Strategic Plan 2010 - 2013 - EURALO/ALAC contribution

Heidi asked the EURALO members to look at the Strategic Plan 2010 - 2013 and identify the key priorities for EURALO. A community call will be held on this issue in early 2010.

Sebastien proposed to add the goal of one ALS per country to the Strategic Plan 2010 to ensure this is a key priority for ICANN in the coming years.

AI: Sebastien's suggestion on one ALS per country should be included in EURALO's/ALAC's contribution to the Strategic Planning.

Olivier noted that the strategic plan outline was not sufficiently focused. There is not enough specific language on how participation should be improved for example.

AI: Staff to follow up on details of Strategic Planning process/time-table. Is there a consolidated and updated version of this document?

Wolf suggested that all EURALO members participate in the survey linked to the strategic plan and send in comments to the list until mid-January. (see survey:

At-Large Director Process

Sebastien gave a short summary of the call held last week. He mentioned that the call was mostly about the voting methods that will be used. At the end of the discussion, the participants to the call decided that more time needs to be spent on the different voting methods. One of the solutions could be to pre-select 2-3 candidates and then have a first-past-the-post election.

Christopher added that one of the issues discussed was who the electorate will be, whether it would be all ALSes, the ALAC and somebody suggeste a two-round voting system with ALSes defining a short lists which will then be voted upon by the ALAC.

Bill noted that Evan wrote on the ALAC lists that the majority of At-Large preferred the ALAC and the five chairs to constitute the elecotrate. He asked when the discussion on this issue was held and if this really was the regional view.

Patrick noted that it was mentioned during the call that a direct method through the ALSes was preferred. NARALO introduced the idea of having indirect votes through the Chairs to ensure that there is a balance between countries/regions. It was noted during the call, however, that it is technically possible to weight votes by countries so that each country would have equal weight in the eleciton, independent from the number of local ALSes.

Vittorio said that in the beginning of At-Large, individual users had a say in the election of Board members. He expressed his disappointment with the methods currently being discussed as they were not ambitious enough in his view.

Bill noted that EURALO should come out clearly to call for a more democratic voting method than the one currently being discussed.

Wolf suggested to move the issue to the mailing list to collect all the arguments, see what which ones are strongest and to find a common regional preference.

It was agreed that the issue will be discussed on the mailing list and further discussed during the January 2010 call.

AI : Staff will be create a wiki workspace on the EURALO webpage where the different positions and arguments on the At-Large Director Selection process can be discused.

EURALO outreach and events planning and Nairobi preparations

Sebastien suggest that Oliver who made a lot of work on the New gTLDs arena during and since the ICANN Seoul meeting could be a good candidate to get travel funding to go to the Nairobi meeting as Dessi will unfortunately not be able to assist.

He noted that this idea was also discussed during the last ExCom meeting. EURALO supported this proposal.

At-Large Staff Changes

Heidi mentioned that Nick recently took over the position of ICANN Senior Director for Participation and Engagement. Following Nick’s departure as Director for At-Large, Heidi will move into that position and Matthias will become the new Manager for At-Large Regional Affairs.

AI: Matthias will follow up with Rudi regarding the At-Large – ccNSO WG.

The meeting was then adjourned.

  • No labels