French Interpreter: We had asked Anne-Rachel and also the members of the staff and we discussed some of the plans to reinforce the help and also we discussed the budget. And we also asked Alrashell (ph) to have her support and feedback with respect to the financing for the participation of the African ALS because there wasn't one ALS sponsored by ICANN on the list. So, we need obviously to find some kind of financing. After discussing this, Alrashell (ph)--

Unidentified Participant: (inaudible)

French Interpreter: That there were some problems--

Operations Instructions: Joined.

French Interpreter: If we, but if we could draw up some kind of draft project to present a request for financing from the agencies, oversight agencies and ask for the support of international chapters of ISOC (ph) so that we have the maximum participation from our side.

As far as the budgetary side is concerned, we discussed the evaluations that we had done with Tijani and with the at-large staff, the person who was invited-- I don't remember the name now. I think it was-- actually maybe it was Nick, Nick Tomatu (ph). He was supposed to help us do a more appropriate assessment with respect to the Nairobi rooms and tickets. And in the meeting today now, what we need to do is to work on the document project and finalize who we should send this document regarding procedures to.

And then the second point that we need to discuss that-- online was-- was the strategic plan for 2010 to 2013 and find out what the position of AFRALO will be. So we asked for a presentation with Theresa Swinehart who would present the document and who would ask questions and get answers and responses so we would have our-- an African point of view. And I'm sure there are certain things that I may have missed and also perhaps Dave will remember some of them, because he was there. Theresa, at 9:30 will make this presentation.

Matthias, yeah said that he will be a little bit late but that he will join us a little later when he can. I think that would be good.

Tijani is now speaking. As far as the outreach program is concerned, we have prepared a work document that will be improved and completed obviously regarding the financing. That's the key element, because we've prepared basically everything else. And we're pretty clear about what we need to do but it's regarding the big bugaboo, the big point is the financing.

And we don't have really anything in hand. And I think that the next few days will be very decisive regarding this program and the financing of it. The other effort is to try to have the maximum number of people come and each area needs to have financing. So that we have a capacity-building program with the objective of giving the ALS reps the possibility and capacity of actively participating in ICANN events both public in work groups and everything that has to do with ICANN work and also participate in the decisions, otherwise they won't be participating in the decisions that are in the various activities. And we need to have Africa participating and to have our African point of view and our considerations and needs taken into consideration as far as the operations are concerned.

Fatimata is asking Tijani-- I think that we covered everything the second of December. That was the AFRALO meeting. But there were no notes taken. But we spoke about the work and I hope that in this meeting we need to have some kind of note taking or point of view for the people who are not able to participate so that they have-- they at least know what's been going on.

(French) but yes, yes. Matthias is speaking, Matthias. I have a question on this matter regarding these relations because usually in other meetings it's the secretary who formulates the report. And I wanted to ask you, do you want to designate somebody to make the notes for each meeting so that we have these notes on adopting the various measures?

Matthias, it's usually the secretary. It's up to the secretary to draw up these report. Didier had some point that we hadn't designated anybody else to do it now, but normally I'd like to ask you says Fatimata perhaps, the staff could make sure that we have the transcription even so somebody could draw up a report, even if they were not present but they obviously can get everybody else's help, anybody who participated. And we can always amend it with everybody's feedback based on the transcription.

And another one answered, I don't know if there's a transcript, but we could certainly ask for it. And I want to see if it's possible.

Yes, says Fatimata, that would be good because at least the, for instance, Didier could draw up the report.

Another answered yes, let's see if we can do that, otherwise let's see how we can do this.

There's a general consensus.

Fatimata says Yaovi, you had asked to speak before, did you want to speak Yaovi?

Yes, it's the project regarding the reinforcement of our capacities in Nairobi. So it's not only the financing. And in this document I imagine that we don't need financing for the nom-com's (ph), but officially nom-com (ph), it finances its own members to attend the meeting, at least from what I've understood. So that we can contain the budget officially but I believe that nom-com (ph) will finance the participation of its own members.

Fatimata, thank you Yaovi, says Fatimata. But don't you belong to an ALS? Yes, yes, they're answering. So in the project, we have-- we have fought for the ALS and in the request for financing, we've asked to at least have a representative per ALS. That's what we established for those who haven't had any financing or for any of our ALS's, says Fatimata.

Okay, so Baudouin is now taking over. Speak Baudouin, says Fatimata. I would like to ask an-- who are the ALS's? I'd like to know who these ALS's are? All of the accredited ALS's, says Fatimata, those who are members of AFRALO. Well, hasn't that been organized already? No, says Fatimata. No, Baudouin, nothing has been arranged. We're still looking for financing, says Fatimata. We're re-drawing it up again, this document. And we're trying-- we want to submit this as I mentioned before to the regulatory agencies and communications. Both regionally and internationally we are looking for financing. And so we're working on this project document so that we can submit it to potential sponsors. So nothing has been resolved yet. All right, I understand, they say.

Mohamed: Mohamed here, I have a question.

Unidentified Participant: Okay, hold on. Go ahead, Mohamed.

Mohamed: I (inaudible), what's the timeframe you are looking for to have responses for recovering the budgets from the potential sponsors? And whom currently are we talking to in terms of the sponsors? As you looking to proactive response in the coming let's say ten days or what's your--

French Interpreter: (French) If my memory's good Mohamed, you're a member of the work group, one of the work groups. And what we're doing now, we're actually working on this document-- project document and everybody's welcome to participate in this. Obviously what would have been nice is to-- is if we could have this document next week already ready to send to potential sponsors. The last time we said it would be sent to the regulatory agencies but that's not necessarily the only way. I think Eve had a response from ISOC (ph). Somebody else has just interrupted.

So Fatimata is continuing saying, I'm trying to get an answer. I'd like to have-- I'm not sure we've had a positive answer from ISOC (ph) yet. With the respect to the request but we're still preparing this with all of the necessary content, says Fatimata. I think that we need to continue knocking on doors.

Mohamed: (inaudible)

French Interpreter: We need to also have it ready at the very latest before the 15th and to have an answer at the latest. Did somebody from the English side--

Mohamed: Yeah, Mohamed.

French Interpreter: Okay, Mohamed, hold on Mohamed let me ask. We need at least two weeks--

Mohamed: (inaudible)

French Interpreter: For this. Hold on Mohamed, let me just tell her. And Mohamed (French). Yeah, Mohamed, go ahead. Go ahead, Mohamed.

Mohamed: I'm a member of that group. I was following the work on that group. But during the last I would say two weeks, there was no activity in-- on the emails. And before that, I have raised the issue in a couple of emails that we need to have a final document or a document prepared then to be sent to the potential sponsors. What they have seen is that we already-- some communication has already started with some potential sponsors without having at least a complete program document in our hand.

I think to have results from sponsors, we need to have clear communication through the chair, the document to be completed, sent with the request to the sponsors. Then we can expect maybe to have concrete or at least formative feedback. And I'm willing to continue work with the group on this. We need to activate the email so because I've not-- I have not seen any emails if came on this matter for a couple of-- the last, I think, two weeks.

So, are we using the weekly page more or are we going to use the email? We need to activate this and start working on this at least produce the document as much as possible so it could be sent by one focal point. We need to have one focal point of communication this and I propose that the chair of the group supposed to handle all the communication for the sponsors at this stage.

French Interpreter: Thank you, Mohamed. Thank you, Mohamed, says Fatimata. Oh merci, okay. Dave is speaking now. Dave.

Dave Kissoondoyal: Hello?

Mohamed: Yes.

Dave Kissoondoyal: Yeah, Dave here. Yeah, in our last working group meeting, I do recall that, okay, Cheryl-- the ALAC chair mentioned that she got information from ISOC (ph) headquarters, that the ISOC (ph) didn't have any budget to sponsor ICANN meeting. I do recall Cheryl mentioned that in our last working group meeting. And also, okay for the communication that has already been started with ISOC (ph) we receive a confirmation from the African-- from the African bureau of ISOC that confirming that ISOC (ph) doesn't have a budget at this point so (inaudible) indeed to invest outside its own events. And this email has been copied to Tijani, Fatimata, to Cheryl, to Didier, Mohamed, and Heidi from ICANN staff. That's all from my side.

French Interpreter: Thank you, Dave. Tijani-- Tijani is saying thank you Fatimata. First of all, I'd like to thank Dave for the effort-- efforts that he has made to try to have sponsors. He really was on the ground and he immediately took action and I thought that was terrific. The second thing I wanted to say is that we don't have time because this-- I don't think that these are possible because to have a visa for Kenya is not that easy for everybody. And there are various nationalities where it could take several weeks even. Three months I believe Fatimata mentioned for some. So what we need to do is to activate this operation to try to get monies and funds and to try to have immediate responses so that people can prepare. This is very important. So our project must be decided definitely between now and a week. And even a week is too late. We really don't have any time in this matter. That's why Fatimata says that we need to resolve this at the very latest next week, by the 15th, so that we can send it at the latest next week so that the two weeks that I mentioned is to include the response from any potential sponsors, because otherwise it's just too late to get to the meeting.

And he answers, hopefully we will be ready. Next week you will definitely receive something Fatimata hopefully.

If we could have all of the factors involved in the budget so that we can ask this financial-- make these financial requests. (French). Oh, Tijani, thank you. Okay, Tijani says, during the work group meetings regarding Nairobi, Nick Tomaso (ph) said that the hotel prices were not realistic and that they're far from the actual prices. And I said that I knew that in African countries, one could have very good rooms, very clean rooms for $150 a night. But I also said to try to contact people that I'd already spoken to at Seoul who had promised me to find hotels, good standing but with more reasonable prices for the African participants. And I've already been in touch with some of these ladies. And I think even this afternoon they said they will send me the hotel prices that are much more-- that are more reasonable and possible. And I also found a hotel, one or two hotels, that seem to be decent that are about $150 each. And I wanted to give you that information because that seems possible.

French Interpreter: Excuse-- So I found hotels at about $150 per night. So Fatimata says, with the price of the tickets, the average for the tickets, I'd put in about 1,500. So perhaps we could calculate that and finalize this project. Absolutely, he's answering.

But what I would like to ask everybody, says Fatimata, I had spoken a little about this on the project that Tijani and I are working on. I would propose-- I don't know if it's a good idea that each person, each of us, bring their-- our-- this project what we've drawn up, in their own-- each in their own country to try to find sponsors because otherwise we need to do it both regionally and internationally. Internationally, we'll submit it to the Franco phone area for anybody, the French-speaking areas. But we also need to do it individually. And I think that what we need to do-- I don't know what the other resources might be apart from agency, regulatory agencies-- national regulatory agencies, the French-speaking areas, regions. And who else had we mentioned Mohamed? We had said ISOC (ph), the French-speaking areas, the European areas. We had made a lot of suggestions. Another-- Yaovi says, and then we have to do it on a worldwide basis. What about the World Bank? You know very well that the relationships are very important, the connections, people's connections and the people you know can make a huge difference in getting a response, says Fatimata.

Mohamed: Mohamed here.

French Interpreter: Hold on, Mohamed. (French) Okay, one moment Mohamed. Michel and then you.

Mohamed: Okay.

French Interpreter: Okay, Michel now. (French) I think that Fatimata's suggestion is pertinent. I think that we need to do it on a national level as far-- and also the agencies to try to get financing. But worldwide, it's very different in the regional. How do we need to do this? For the international, it's very different. So we need people who have contacts in certain areas. How do we need to-- how are we going to do this, is my question?

Thank you Michel. That's why I'm saying, says Fatimata that as far as regionally and international areas, we need help with that because if we use the usual way, it's just not going to work because it takes too much time. There are always various steps to reach to the right people who can make these decisions and who can give us response. So we obviously need to, you know, use connections. Mohamed-- Mohamed, go ahead.

Mohamed: Yeah I was going to suggest this on Fatimata's point of trying to find contacts, yeah, yeah. Individual contacts, people we know personally will be-- it will be very helpful and they will assist. So I think it will be good to have a list of people we know regionally or in the African organization that those people could give us response in a weaker period so we have-- we don't need to wait much time to get response. So if we can utilize our contacts or the, in the (inaudible) chart start to put some names. So when other group if we just add that list and we start communicating them and talking to them that will be good so we can have a quick response.

French Interpreter: Thank you, Mohamed.

Dave Kissoondoyal: Dave here, I raise my hand.

French Interpreter: (French) So first Baudouin then Didier, go ahead. Baudouin to start. Baudouin says I would like to propose something. Could you do an RDC to have participation in Nairobi? It's possible that the RDC could be in charge, at least as far as the AFRALO is concerned. And that they could then take, you know, make decisions more rapidly. Fatimata says, Baudouin, I think we need to ask David as far as this is concerned, but if we have a positive response I think-- I think we need to have the draft of this and we'll ask Cheryl to help us with this-- to create this-- to work with AFRALO. But I think that that shouldn't-- I don't think that should be a problem. But we need to have Cheryl's help with this. Could Matthias give us-- make sure that there's an answer? I think that Cheryl is maybe here but she-- I think she's on Skype, so maybe she could help us with that on Skype. Okay (French). Some English channel wanted to speak? Who wanted to speak on the English side? Hello? Didier, are you on the English-- are you on the French or English? I don't hear anybody--

French Interpreter: Who's on the English?

Dave Kissoondoyal: I am on the English side, Dave here.

French Interpreter: Dave, did you want to speak Dave?

Dave Kissoondoyal: Yeah, I wanted to.

French Interpreter: Wait a moment, Didier is speaking. Hold on.

French Interpreter: So hold on a second. Continue Didier. So Didier is speaking. (French) Okay, so Fatimata will repeat it if I can't hear. Do you hear me Fatimata, Didier is asking. Yes. Okay. Didier, okay so Didier-- oh, Dave, it's up to you. Okay, Dave he didn't ask to speak so it's up to you Dave. Go ahead.

Dave Kissoondoyal: Okay, thank you. Yes, what I'm asking is first of all like are we going to do something that is similar to what has happened in Mexico? I was not present in the Mexico meeting, but I've gathered that the-- there was sponsors, a lot of African ALS was sponsored to travel there for a capacity-building program. And the outcome was not that positive. This is something that I've gathered. I don't know whether this is exactly true, but what I suggest strategy we want to do this capacity building and the outreach program different to what was done in Mexico. Because we do not want to-- if it was a failure in Mexico, we do not want this time to be a failure as well. And then if we are approaching our sponsors, who sponsored the Mexico travel? Is-- are they going to sponsor us again if it has been a failure at that time? I'm just telling this because I was not present in Mexico City so I don't know whether there was a capacity-building program there. But this is something that I have gathered by speaking with some of the parts (inaudible) in Mexico. That's all from my side.

French Interpreter: (French) Didier speaking. Go ahead Didier says, Fatimata. Didier-- are you talking about the failure in Mexico? But I don't understand. No, it was a great success in Mexico to the contrary. In Mexico, everybody was financed by ICANN. No, we didn't need to look for any sponsors. That's what happened in Mexico. It was a great success. And Fatimata is saying that's right.

Yaovi would like to speak. Go ahead, Yaovi. Thank you. I think it's a discussion that's interesting but I think there's a lot of work to do. My first point to facilitate the committee's work, I would like tomorrow everybody should present the-- any possibilities of financing to their individual committees and also what the budget would be, to see what sponsors we could have. So each ALS must participate in this in each country. Then we need to see what the budget is as far as participation is concerned. We need to have this information in the committees. But my question is also when I read the document, there's still a lot of work to do as far as arrangements are concerned. So, my question is, it's necessary that we deal with the financing and we need to have these contacts to see who will be able to participate. I wish you luck in this because there's a lot of work to do.

Thank you, says Fatimata to Yaovi. We'd already discussed this last time, says Fatimata. And the staff agreed that-- that they would help. And Tijani has mentioned the problems of having sponsors. We spoke about the various exhibits we would like to do. But now the most pressing problem is the financing, as I said before. So, Dave, I would like to reiterate what Tijani mentioned. Mexico was a really a major success as far as the participation of the ALS is concerned. It was a big hit. It was a very great success. So I'd like you to know that.

Can we go to another point? (French) Thank you. Yes, we're going to-- we need to go to the next point says Fatimata.

Dave Kissoondoyal: Yeah, can I just--

French Interpreter: Hello. Cheryl has now joined us. I would like to take advantage of her presence to reiterate the question. So that at least hopefully we have the ALS's who have some kind of financing to start. So Cheryl, Baudouin is asking if there could be an official letter on this matter so that there is some kind-- so that he could participate? A letter addressed-- sent to his country. And my answer was to say, says Fatimata, that if we could say yes, then he would draft the letter so that we could see it and how-- see how it needed to be done so that we could-- so it would be in the right terms necessary for his country.

Dave Kissoondoyal: Dave here, I need to--

French Interpreter: Okay, Dave. Hold on Dave. (French)

Theresa Swinehart: And Theresa Swinehart has just joined. Sorry for the delay.

French Interpreter: Dave, we-- Dave. Go ahead, Dave.

Dave Kissoondoyal: Yeah, yeah okay further to what I mentioned earlier. It could have been that the participation of the meeting in Mexico was a success. Okay, we had like many ALS's from Africa and they have been there. But I think what is important also since-- instead of financing the travel of our ALS's, the first meeting or the outcome, the result of the meeting, okay, it's good-- that's okay we are participating in the meeting. But we need to have a follow-up. We need to know exactly what is happening when the ALS's are returning to their countries. Is there any follow-up? Is there any-- this is a most important part. Perhaps our sponsors do not get the feedback. That's okay. Our ALS's, they might be doing a good job after returning to their country. But I think what needs to be done also is that when we prepare the document to be sent to our sponsors, we mention that we are going to have a follow-up of the activities of the ALS in their respective countries after they have participated in the capacity-building program. Thank you.

French Interpreter: Thank you, Dave. Thank you, Dave, says Fatimata. That's why we're in the process of trying to draw up a-- this document to also include the results. Because it's true. When you ask somebody to give you backing then you need to give them some kind of feedback to these sponsors, after the event and the workshops or will there be other activities and what are the results in the short term and long term. So that's why we're working on this document as of now. And everybody needs to give their input. So I think that by the end of this weekend we'll have a document that we can share and then that has to be finalized and absolutely put into action, says Fatimata.

Tijani is speaking. Can we go to another point now? Yes, yes. Yeah I just wanted to make sure that nobody had another question. I see Theresa is there and I think we need to listen if anybody has any other input before going on to the next point, says Fatimata because we need to discuss the strategic plan documents also, says Fatimata. Matthias, is there any point? So what do we need to do about this next?

If you're on Adobe Connect, you'll see the presentation. There's a strategic plan, says Matthias I believe. And there will be a little presentation. You can ask questions then. And then we can discuss the strategic plan. If you're on the Adobe Connect, you will see this strategic plan per-- by region too and also the agenda. Okay, says, Fatimata. Therefore-- so let's start.

(French), we're going to start with Theresa then.

Theresa Swinehart: Thank you.

French Interpreter: Okay, Theresa. So, you're going to make the presentation.

Theresa Swinehart: Yes, sorry.

French Interpreter: Okay.

Theresa Swinehart: Sorry, yes. My apologies.

French Interpreter: Sure, go ahead, Theresa.

Theresa Swinehart: I had a call that distracted me. First, thank you very much for the opportunity to join the call and my sincere apologies for my own delay in being able to join. I had to run my brother to the airport, so my apologies there.

The overview I'll give is just in the context of the strategic plan, generally. And then what I would welcome is any questions that people may have and how I can be of any help to do any clarifications. The comment period for the strategic plan, the public comment period is on the 20th, I think 20th or 21st of January. And so I would really welcome that people provide comments into this, in particular on issues that are important for the region and obviously for people on the call.

As people may be aware, we are taking a somewhat different approach to the strategic planning process this year, as opposed to the-- in the past. And with that regard, what we're trying to do is really solidify four strategic objective areas, focus areas under which then are categories of work in areas that are being undertaken, which you'll see as I go through the slides.

So on the first slide is the general sort of a statement about what ICANN does. And this is obviously sort of a more elaborate statement that people are welcome to make comments on it. What it is intended to do is give a high-level context of what ICANN stands for and what its responsibilities are in terms that are perhaps more high level and intended for a wider audience than the pure technical community or the nuance community in the ICANN arena.

The next slide, if we could go to that, is really an attempt to convey in one page the very high-level areas of what is a strategic plan with the subsequent pages than drilling down onto that. And where we would like comments is really looking at whether the four areas of focus are captured correctly. And then underneath that one will see that it's been divided into what are strategic objectives. So what is intended with that is really what does it actually mean to preserve the DNS stability and security? What would be an ideal thing? Does that mean there's lower DNS abuse? Is that an objective? Or is it more secure TLD operations? Trying to define what would-- what do people view as strategic objectives under those categories.

The reason those are in brackets is that this was not an area that had been looked at in the context of when we did the presentation at the Seoul meeting. And it's also language that may not have appeared in past strategic plans and we really would like to get community input in what that actually means. What do people see as meaning to contribute to a healthy internet echo system? You know does that mean all stakeholders have a voice at the table or does it mean one unified global internet? What do people see that as meaning?

Under that, you'll see--

French Interpreter: Could you slow down just a tad?

Theresa Swinehart: I'm sorry. Yes, of course.

French Interpreter: Thank you.

Theresa Swinehart: Yes, I forgot you're doing translations, of course.

French Interpreter: Go ahead. Thank you.

Theresa Swinehart: Shall I go ahead now?

French Interpreter: Go ahead.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: You'll get used to it.

Theresa Swinehart: Okay, great. I'm sorry. I promise to do this in French next time. I'll try. The second bar area that you see going across is identifying some of the community work that already exists. There's an enormous amount of work that the community is doing on different topic areas that would fall within these four focus groups. And in this category, you'll surely see many terms and language and reference to things that have appeared in past strategic plans. And it really reflects the work of what's happening in all the SOs and all the ACs of the-- of the organization.

The next line down would be some strategic projects. And those are things where there's specific areas that are more project areas, not ongoing work, but project areas, such as the implementation of IDNs. There's been a lot of community work on IDNs and then a strategic project under that would obviously be the implementation of that.

And there's some examples of different strategic projects, again going across that under each of the four focus groups. Again, language that has surely been seen on a regular basis, obviously in the context of the strategic plan as well.

And then the final bar across there shows staff work. And this is ongoing operational work within the organization, you know, financial operations, board support, the different support services that exist, the ongoing work of strengthening global engagement and regional engagement, contingency planning; things that are just part of the regular tasks of the organization. And with that, again, language that is I'm sure been seen in the past strategic plan work.

Then you'll see a bar across the bottom, which reflects a few words; multi-stakeholder, collaborative, international, transparent, and accountable. And what we realized in taking a look at the last strategic plan is that we often times put down as a strategic objective or something for the organization to insure multi-stakeholderism. But those are actually things that should go and cut across the entire organization and entire-- and across the, all the work of the organization. And so, hence, those have been identified as the bar-- put as a bar sort of across and be reflective to all areas of ICANN's work within the four areas of focus and defined as that.

So again this-- this page seeks to capture the big picture of all elements of the strategic plan. The subsequent pages then take each of the four areas of focus and describe those more elaborately with identifying specifically the strategic objectives, categories, and strategic projects.

The reason we've done that is to keep the strategic plan, the proposed list, to keep it focused at the high level. The details of existing staff work and existing community work are very much things that are more appropriately actually reflected in the operational and budget-planning process, because those are ongoing work projects. The strategic plan is really seeking to identify what focus areas and strategic objectives for the future should we be focusing in on and is there agreement on that.

So then you'll see the subsequent pages there looking at a drill down onto the four focus areas that I had highlighted on the first page and elaborating on those. And you'll see that much of the language is similar to past language that you've seen in past strategic plans there. You know, what does it mean to contribute to a healthy ecosystem? Things of that sort.

So that's a very high-level overview. I'm happy to take questions. And I would very strongly encourage and support the input that there's comments provided into this, in particular on issues that participants feel are important for their regions and their communities, because that's how we can best make sure that the-- we summarize in the public comment period the best way possible in solidifying the document.

So with that, I will leave it to take any questions, if I can.

Dave Kissoondoyal: Dave here.

French Interpreter: Dave?

Dave Kissoondoyal: Can I go ahead please?

French Interpreter: Okay, go ahead yes.

Dave Kissoondoyal: Yeah. Thank you very much for the presentation. I do recall when we were in the last ICANN meeting when the CEO of ICANN was doing the presentation, issues were raised about the digital divide. What is--

French Interpreter: Sorry. Issues were raised about what?

Dave Kissoondoyal: The digital divide.

French Interpreter: I'm sorry. Two people spoke at once. Could one person speak?

Dave Kissoondoyal: Yeah, about the digital divide.

French Interpreter: Oh got it, got it. Thanks.

Dave Kissoondoyal: Yeah. Since the digital divide is of concern for the African (inaudible), so we want to understand of ICANN, what ICANN is doing to propose to bridge the digital gap, firstly? And secondly, I also recall that there was a survey through Serve Monti (ph)--

French Interpreter: Sorry, didn't hear you. That last bit, could you repeat just that last bit? Thank you.

Dave Kissoondoyal: Yeah a survey through Serve Monti (ph) to find out the list of priorities that ICANN should deal with first. On that survey, I do recall because I took the survey. I'm sure my colleagues, my friends of the African region also did take part in the survey. That survey was to look for the priorities that ICANN should okay. So can we have the results of that survey please? Thank you.

Theresa Swinehart: Yes, of course I'm glad you mentioned the survey. We did run a survey which actually had ended I believe it was on the 4th or right at the end of December, early January. That doesn't mean that people shouldn't feel that they should contribute to it. But we did run a survey. I don't have the summation yet of the results of that.

What I would note though is that the survey, which we had not done in the past, for strategic plans, is one form of input. It is certainly not the sole form of input. It is intended to cause people to think a little bit about what they might see as priorities on some things that have been put out on a regular basis.

In relation to the digital divide, as you're probably aware, there's sort of a wide range of views on that about what ICANN's role should or should not be. And I would encourage thinking about what facets of ICANN's work actually contribute to helping bridge that? To help contribute to bridge the digital divide? And that comments into the strategic plan that is now posted are really put also in light of that.

So for-- I will throw out an example, but please don't view this is as, you know, a decision or anything on my part. But, for example, contributing to shaping a healthy internet ecosystem as a focus area. A strategic objective that all stakeholders have a voice at the table from my personal thoughts would be certainly that insuring that all stakeholders from all regions of the world have a voice at the table is something that can help contribute to bridging digital divides, increasing participation, contingency planning and trainings for ccTLDs for the preservation of DNS stability and security. And so I would encourage that in the context of addressing issues of course that are very important for the region and, in particular, for the developing countries. And I know this is of major concern also for the Africa region, that comments focus in on areas of ICANN's work within its mission and mandate that are important to help contribute to bridging digital divide. The digital divide terminology itself is quite broad. But what can ICANN do specifically in order to help contribute to bridging that?

Does that assist in the-- is that help clarify?

Dave Kissoondoyal: Yeah, thank you very much.

Theresa Swinehart: Okay. And I think-- by the way, I think it's an incredibly important area. And--

French Interpreter: Which area? Sorry. Which area?

Theresa Swinehart: The-- I think the area of insuring that on a global level all stakeholders have opportunities to be engaged in ICANN's work within the realm of ICANN's mission is extremely important to some and intense identifying what areas can help contribute to that also in light of helping improve the situation in different regions and helping to bridge the broader digital divide issues I think are very helpful insights to the process.

French Interpreter: Thank you. I'll ask for their response.

Dave Kissoondoyal: Yeah, thank you very much Theresa. Okay, now it's clear.

Theresa Swinehart: Okay. Any other questions?

French Interpreter: Tijani has a question. Fatimata is not online. He wants to thank Theresa so much-- thank you very much for your presentation. I really appreciate all the work that has been done. I think it's-- I think it's really the-- very thoughtfully put together this time. But Dave had presented a question regarding-- oh how we reduce the digital divide? (French) And he asked how do we reduce this digital divide? I have a question to ask Theresa. Is, in requiring, if you have the new 185,000 budget for the TLDs, does this reduce the digital divide? Does it only help the rich countries or does it help everybody? Wait a moment.

Theresa Swinehart: Sorry.

French Interpreter: (French) So what I'm saying is-- what I'm asking is wouldn't it be a good idea, is there a way to eliminate, for instance, the poor-- the people who don't have the possibility of paying this $185,000 to create a new GTLD, let's say generic GTLD of a first level. That's my question.

Theresa Swinehart: I'm sorry. Can you repeat the question? I'm sorry. Hello?

French Interpreter: Do you think-- do you think that the costs of registering the candidates for a new domain, a first-level domain are not, by their very nature-- should they be eliminated or eliminate those who cannot pay the $185,000, which are the first-- which is the first level? Is that clear? Is my question clear?

Theresa Swinehart: Yes, yes it is clear. The--

French Interpreter: Go ahead. (French)

Theresa Swinehart: Yes. The issue of--

French Interpreter: (French)

Theresa Swinehart: The--

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Tricia, we're still hearing you do French.

French Interpreter: Sorry. Sorry my mistake. It's mute now.

Theresa Swinehart: The TLD-- the new TLD application cost is based on a cost recovery calculation. And the information for that material is on the website. And I'm happy to work with the Matthias and everybody to get that sent out.

When it comes to, is it going to help in Africa or not? I think one actually has to look at the-- this is a cost recovery application but that ICANN's overall budget in the context of also the strategic plan is a budget that has gone through-- through public consultation processes. And is-- that's where it's essential to provide the input into the process of not looking at specific project areas such as the cost recovery on the TLD applications but rather what can ICANN do in all of its project areas in order to make sure that it's addressing the needs of all the communities.

The TLD area is quite a specific one and I think if one wants to provide comments in on the TLD factor, those comments should go specifically there with recommendations if there's views on how things are used. And in the context of the strategic plan to focus in very much on-- comments can be made in that area as well as what overall can ICANN do. And if there's views about the TLD and ideas there, obviously to provide those into that part of the process too.

French Interpreter: This point of view was expressed during the public context and it wasn't taken into account. And so it's not-- it's not a question that I'm asking. It's a remark I'm making.

Theresa Swinehart: Okay.

French Interpreter: I think that ICANN needs to make an effort to help the developing countries. Let's say the people who are applying, the applicants, the candidates in these developing countries to reduce the cost for us. That's what my remark is.

Theresa Swinehart: Okay, thank you. Thank you for that clarification.

French Interpreter: Okay. Okay. I don't think-- What I'm saying is I understand that the last version of the African guidebook or manual of candidates was published. And I know that the costs were not touched and that were-- it wasn't-- it's just not a question. It's just a remark. That's all. Okay.

Theresa Swinehart: That is-- thank you very much. I shall make note of the remark and I appreciate that feedback.

French Interpreter: Who's on now?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yaovi had a question. I don't know if he's reconnected.

French Interpreter: Okay. Go ahead Cheryl.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: No, Yaovi had--

French Interpreter: Oh, Yaovi. Okay. Go ahead.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: But I don't know if he was reconnected.

We're losing a lot of phone lines. At the moment, we've had Mohamed's now disconnected. Fatimata is back. Yaovi's still not back. Mother Nature may be playing a role in all of this.

Theresa Swinehart: That's the unfortunate challenges of--

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Indeed.

Theresa Swinehart: Yes. I'm always happy to take questions offline as well.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Ah, Yaovi's back. It looks like we can only have so many lines out and somebody's not allowed to be here. Tricia, perhaps Yaovi could ask his question now. He's back on line.

French Interpreter: Of course.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Even if he types it.

French Interpreter: Of course.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you Tricia. Theresa, while the main French channel is catching up, is there an indicator yet on how much uptake or feedback came into the survey monkey tool? Was it well subscribed to?

Theresa Swinehart: Embarrassingly enough, I don't have--

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: You don't know.

Theresa Swinehart: Oh, hold on. No, actually I do. I'm sorry. Somebody had just given me-- hold on. Oh, hold on. Yes I can actually. I'm sorry.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: If you've got that information, you might just hold it because that's something that might be interesting to share.

Theresa Swinehart: Absolutely, yes.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Plus, I was filling in dead air space. And otherwise when the transcription is made on the call, you-- it becomes a challenge I can assure you. Ah, Yaovi's-- Yaovi's hands up. So Fatimata or Tijani will--

Theresa Swinehart: Thank you.

Mohamed: Hi. Mohamed I have a question for Theresa.

Theresa Swinehart: Yes.

Mohamed: On the document, on the part of contributing to the, here in healthy (ph) internet ecosystem, we have increasing participation on or the list is on the community work and on the strategic projects there is now listing of a project that could reflect that objectives. Although under staff work, some of them you will see that is an item of same thing regional engagement. For the (inaudible) at large and especially for the African region is very important. Outreach is very important. Awareness is very important. The budget allocation for this specific part, (inaudible) regional engagement is very important. How do you see ICANN commitment in this area for the coming period?

French Interpreter: (inaudible)

Theresa Swinehart: Hello?

French Interpreter: Hello.

Theresa Swinehart: Yes. Yes, the commitment is very strong.

French Interpreter: Okay, hold on a second. They're speaking so now let me interrupt just a second.

Theresa Swinehart: Sorry.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: The interpreters are worth their weight in gold.

French Interpreter: Sorry, they were speaking so let me interrupt them so that you can speak. Okay, go ahead.

Theresa Swinehart: Hello yes, the-- it's a very, very important area.

French Interpreter: (French)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Tricia, we--

French Interpreter: Okay, hold on a second. Let me, let me just get him. Okay, Yaovi is speaking now.

Theresa Swinehart: Okay.

French Interpreter: Okay so what's-- it's a pity-- what I'm saying is we need to discuss these strategies so we need to see what we can do not only financially but as far as, as the public will is concerned to be involved. And we need to take action to see what we can do also. Thank you. Okay.

Fatimata, we're speaking about international politics and policy. And obviously we're going to try to do what we can but it's also international policy. So we need to try to do what we can locally. We need to have a very strong position and to-- and we need to be participating altogether so that ICANN will listen to us with suggestions and to see how we can have the applications that work for us. And it's obviously decided on the level of ICANN. It's not decided on the level of our countries. It's this guided on--

And Tijani would like to add something. That was an answer to a question of Theresa. What can ICANN do to make things work? And so what we're saying is, it's an answer to that question basically. Okay, Beca (ph) okay. I believe that Mohamed asked a question that we're not sure about. I think that a question is being answered by Mohamed. We don't hear Theresa any more. Okay. Mohamed is disconnected. Okay, so let me get the English channel. Do you have anything you'd like to respond?

Theresa Swinehart: Is this for Theresa?

French Interpreter: Is this Theresa?

Theresa Swinehart: Yes.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Go ahead Theresa.

Theresa Swinehart: Thank you. Thank you. I think that the observations of the engagement and outreach to the different regions is very important. And I think that it is-- it is an important area to provide input in for this strategic planning process so that there is a awareness that this continues to remain not only an important area of staff work but continued strategic project and community work, working together to identify additional areas where there could be improvements in further-- further attention paid. So if we look back to where things were maybe ten years ago, it was quite different than where things are now. And there's an opportunity to keep building on that together with the important work that you're doing in the region as well.

So I would, in the context of the strategic plan and the focus areas, really strongly encourage that the importance of this is reiterated in the comments and to make that clear. And that's also how the organization can insure that it is hearing that view and that staff is not-- staff knows it's important but it's also important to hear from the community, the reinforcement of that and any additional ideas that may help contribute to building on what is currently happening.

Mohamed: Comment here. Just a quick comment on your last--

French Interpreter: Who's speaking please?

Mohamed: Mohamed.

French Interpreter: Oh thank you, thank you.

Mohamed: Yeah, just a quick comment on your last answer to it. Regarding the focus area, let's assume things regional engagement could be very good that staff detailed projects could be discussed and developed with the regional outlying organization or ALAC or at-large in general because basically we know in our regions what the best tools to use for regional engagement, but the problems regarding outreach and how we can work with ICANN to facilitate that.

Theresa Swinehart: Thank you. I think that's a very good suggestion.

French Interpreter: Hold on, somebody would like to speak. Thank you. (French) Hello? Trying to get-- I hear Fatimata trying to see who's trying to speak at this moment. There seems to be some static on the line or something but we're working on it.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Well with all the calls dropped out, Tricia, I'm not surprised.

French Interpreter: Right, Cheryl. Let-- so did you have something to say Cheryl while, since you're on the line?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: No, not that-- well yes. I will.

French Interpreter: Okay.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: You can--

French Interpreter: Go ahead.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: You can repeat. Just to reiterate even more forcefully as I often do, what Theresa was just saying, it is essential that these particular comments regarding local input, local knowledge and what the desires are of the developing countries and communities in terms of where ICANN should be having its strategic focuses must not just be made in meetings like this but also directly from the ALS's and the regions to the ICANN public comment and via the ALAC in its statements. And I'll take this opportunity to ask you all to outreach to all of your members to get them to have input so you can bring it to our community call. And Dave has put the doodle on today's chat so you can insure or you can at least try and influence the timing of that call to be suitable for your region. Thank you Tricia.

French Interpreter: Thank you, Cheryl. Okay, Fatimata has something regarding Baudouin. Are there any other questions asked Fatimata, any other questions from-- we're trying to get-- we think Baudouin is having some static problems. Or are we okay or are we good to continue, asks Fatimata, as far as the strategic planning document is concerned?

Are we-- okay somebody would like to speak, Tijani I believe. Tijani is speaking. I would like to ask all of the members of AFRALO to actively participate in the next teleconference regarding strategy. I believe, says Tijani, that the participation and the input of the various point of view-- points of view regarding the strategic plan and the budget, what do you call it the, the work group or plan or however you want to call it, is extremely important. But we can't just turn up at these teleconferences as though we'd never spoken about this question. We need to be prepared individually and regionally and we need to go on the internet site and put it up any remarks as far as the strategy is concerned. We can compare what's been going on and we need to think about the needs that what our needs are and how we can include our needs in the strategic plan. We need-- we greatly need to express our needs. We really haven't done it properly up till now. That's why now today, we're trying to find financing to be able to do this capacity-building program. But if everybody really tries and makes the attempt to read this strategic plan and try to find out what we need individually in Africa as far as our needs are concerned, I think that we'll be much more prepared at the next teleconference. This is essential.

And I believe says Fatimata, I think this is a very good suggestion Tijani, says Fatimata. We must be more prepared and I also ask is among those of us who are here, there are already some work groups who are working on the outreach program. Couldn't we have two or three other people who could participate in this outreach group, who could work on small projects let's say starting with the debate that we had today, the discussion we've had? And then we could already work online to prepare this for the 14th or 15th of January, that conference. I-- this is very important, says Fatimata.

Yaovi is now attempting to speak. What I would like-- I would like to talk about-- my proposal is we need to continue exchange information and encourage each other regarding the strategic plan. We need to have some results and we need to have people participate. We need to continue this by email as well. So the people who have read it and have ideas will-- can also post it online. And we need to do this in Nairobi as well. So we may-- cause we may not have all the time to do that there with all the meetings and things going on. So we need to be prepared before we go.

Thank you, Yaovi. Fatimata says I would like to have everybody's reaction to what we're discussing. And does anybody have another suggestion, says Fatimata? And somebody's trying to speak and there's static, so I don't know who that is.

Is there any other feedback, asks Fatimata? Tijani said, may I speak then? There's already an email regarding ICANN.org. And where one can send one's commentary individually but what Fatimata is trying to have is an African position, an African point of view. Can somebody coordinate that so that we not only have the individual but that we have the-- an overall African point of view? So maybe we can use email but somebody should coordinate this and compile it so that we put these-- so that the day of the teleconference we're prepared at least as a-- so we have more of an African point of view and position and we're not still trying to figure out each individual one. At least if it's an overall, somewhat overall position, that would be of great help. Can we do this, asked Tijani? Has anybody volunteered? Does anybody want to do this? Yaovi are you willing to do this?

That's not the problem, says Yaovi. He's not-- one cannot really hear him too well. So I'm going to ask Fatimata to repeat what Yaovi is saying in just a moment. There won't be enough time to do the work-- the preparatory work, says Fatimata. Or to have a moderator at this point. Is somebody-- could somebody else, is Didier there? Is Didier there somewhere? They're asking if Didier is there but I don't think he is. So they're trying to figure out if somebody could do this and evidently Yaovi couldn't. So he's not there online. No he's not there online evidently. Michel, is Michel there?

Dave Kissoondoyal: Dave here. I can do the coordination.

French Interpreter: Oh wait a moment, wait-- okay Dave. Hold on. Dave, go ahead speak.

Dave Kissoondoyal: Yeah, I can do the coordination. Okay, I can do the initial draft of the like the African position on the strategy (inaudible). But I would request all our members to give their feedback so that we can combine and it's not only one person point of view but the point of view for the whole African region.

French Interpreter: Oh, bravo Dave, says Fatimata. Thank you very much. That is exactly what we were looking for. Is that good Tijani? Tijani also agrees. I want to thank Dave because he's giving a lot of support on every level and we really appreciate it and the level of ALAC and also AFRALO. So we really appreciate it, says Fatimata as well. Thank you very much Dave. This would be a great help. So that I believe, we have finished that point on the strategic plan.

There was a question that had been asked we could perhaps thank-- to thank-- okay, Theresa they're thanking you very much for having come and participated and given your presentation today. From all-- from on behalf of AFRALO, we look forward to being in touch very soon with you and we really appreciate your participation today Theresa.

And the last question that we might be able to ask Cheryl is-- says Fatimata (French). We would like to ask Cheryl something.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yes.

French Interpreter: As far as the next step and then the closing of the meeting. Cheryl? I think we need some kind of invitation, ALAC invitation to ask so that some of these actions are-- there's some kind of assistance in the Nairobi meeting. So is that feasible on the part of ALAC to do this, asks Fatimata? Was that a clear question or do you want her to repeat it?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I will need a repeat.

French Interpreter: Okay, hold on a second. (French) Of RDC, of the Democratic Republic of Congo would like to sponsorize his participation at the meeting of Nairobi, would like to receive an invitation, a letter of invitation to participate. Oh, would like a letter of invitation so he can ask his government to see if they would then, you know, back his participation regarding AFRALO because he says that with a letter, with an official letter, he might be able to get backing from the Congo government for himself. And so what I'm asking is, if we could have that letter in the name of-- sent on behalf of ALAC so that it has more of an official cache. And if the-- okay you need to answer. Hold on, yes, go ahead answer.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: The very easy answer is yes, certainly. Matthias and I will work with Heidi to have an appropriate letter for African individual sponsorship use.

French Interpreter: Thank you very much, says Fatimata. And I would take advantage of that. I would ask that if the ALS's could-- can they be financed? Would it be a good idea to start the steps for the visas because there's a serious danger that it's going to take too long to get visas? Tijani would like to say even if-- if you-- if we at least ask for the visas, even if they don't have all the financing, the ALS's, at least they're prepared with the visa. Then if they make it, fine. But as far as Kenya, that would be a step-- that at least we wouldn't be handicapped by that. So whether or not we get the financing or not, at least if we make the, you know, we do the bureaucratic requests and everything, at least we'll have the visas and then we'll see who gets the money. Are there any other questions on this matter, says-- otherwise we go to the next step. Any reaction from the (French) any reaction from the English side?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: It's Cheryl here--

French Interpreter: Cheryl, go ahead Cheryl.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Only that I will make sure that we have letters that are appropriate for general use and so if anyone wants a specific letter, once they've seen our general use one, we will update it for a specific letter as well. Okay, so that will happen by early next week.

French Interpreter: Yes they thank-- Fatimata is saying that's great. So a general letter that could be-- is that good Baudouin, asks Fatimata.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Sorry, for that one I will do him-- I know about him. He will be specific. I will also do a general letter for general use.

French Interpreter: That would be great. Thank you very much, says Fatimata. Yes, that would cover it. And also I think as far as the updates we've, regarding the work groups, we've already done that. So as far as the-- are we going to have our March meeting? I know we have the Nairobi meeting but I think we're going to have the March meeting. The answer is yes. So we've always had a March meeting, says Fatimata. And then there's the update-- the regional representation. (French) We're going to see if Yakita (ph) is here. Is she here, asks Fatimata? It doesn't seem like it. They're checking on that. And as far as the ALAC representation, we might discuss if this-- (French) I-- we need to discuss this but I don't know yet what can be done. So that's, Didier is no longer here also so we can't discuss this actually. So I think we need-- we can discuss some of these things in Nairobi and clarify some of these things.

Point five now, as far as the brochure, AFRALO brochure is concerned, says Fatimata. We haven't done anything about this at all or have we? No, we have done nothing. We could look at the other brochures. We can-- if I remember, I remember we had suggested some-- that we work with input from each county but nothing has been done up till now, says Fatimata. Is Yaovi there? Is-- his as a nom-com (ph), could he sort of take the lead on this as far as the brochure is concerned or does he not have the-- do you not have the time?

Yaovi is about to propose something. Matthias says-- Matthias says I have a question regarding the brochure. I believe that it would be very good to have the brochure in Nairobi as a method and means to inform everybody and also to contact possible ALS's. If we want to have the brochure in French and in English, we must-- we need to have something before-- before mid-February, the 10th or 12th at the latest. That would be feasible but we need to have the brochure both in French and in English, three or four weeks before the conference. And then that way we could have it translated. I don't know if one person can do this. Maybe we need to have more than one to work on this.

Fatimata says, could Michel-- could perhaps work with Yaovi, as her question? Michel, are you there? No, he's not there, says Fatimata. Well then I think you need to be in touch with Michel. Okay, he agrees. And try to have his backing and Yaovi says, Yaovi could you-- we'll help you with that Yaovi. Personally I don't think the January-- I could do very much because I'm very busy with the capacity-building operation. But once it's on the way, then I'll be able to participate after that. I can work on that DPL brochure. Everybody needs to participate, says Fatimata, in this brochure.

And the sixth point now, Tijani. Okay before going to the sixth point, I'm involved in preparing rules of procedure, interior rules of procedure and so I couldn't suggest something-- I couldn't propose anything in December, but I've now prepared a draft in French. I'll finish it probably during-- towards the end of January. And I will suggest-- I will present it for the February meeting.

Second point or sixth, point six regarding at-large improvement plan, as you all know, there was a teleconference in December on this and there are documents that exist. There was a work group that suggested a final report. And the final report exists in both languages but they-- the last version is only available in English. But there's not a lot of difference between the one before. But if you look at the February English version and then the French-- the June version, you're going to see that there's very little difference. You'll be able to see what was changed. So even those who do not understand English that well will be able to see the minor things that were changed.

What's important to do is I have to continue getting after the African participants in the at-large improvement plan, the one you see in front of you. That gives you an idea, a chart where there are all of the key points of this report. And you can look at each point, point by point in the chart, and there's a column in the chart. But where we're going to put the names of the people who will work in the various work groups on these various points. I would invite you, I would ask you-- I would encourage you and suggest to you-- I would beg of you to please look at this chart and put your name before the point that you feel you can participate or add to so that we have Africans present in these work groups. So I'm asking you to do that please.

Yes, says Fatimata. Thank you Tijani, says Fatimata. Are there any other remarks or questions beyond this point? Dave, is this Dave?

Dave Kissoondoyal: Yes, Dave here.

French Interpreter: Go ahead Dave.

Dave Kissoondoyal: Yeah I just want to inform for the transcript that Mohamed has volunteered to work for the trusting of the brochure to whatever is Yaovi. Thank you.

French Interpreter: Very good. Thank you so much. And thank you Mohamed, says Fatimata. So, number six, any more remarks or questions? Yes? Question from (French).

Oh, Yaovi is speaking. With respect to the chart, says Yaovi, I don't see the column where the people, the names are going to be listed. I think it's the right column, towards number two. It's the working group committee. That's what it is. And who's the director? It's a question of having a name and you can see who the members are, says Fatimata, the members of AFRALO who would like to work in those groups. Tijani says, it was mentioned during the one conference that it would be good to have ALS's, reps of ALS's participating. And I believe that at this point the regional participation is unbalanced because there is not enough participation. We haven't participated. And so we need to do that. So, it's in our interest to be involved in the areas that where we need to be involved, said Tijani. Okay, says Fatimata.

So, so let's get to the last point, the at-large. Is everybody there with me? I have the French version. There's a work group, Alan Greenberg is the-- he's preparing a white paper, Alan Greenberg or he's in-- and there-- there's a teleconference for all the whole community which will be organized towards the end of the month. So, what we could do-- I think as far as this process is concerned, I would like to refresh everybody's memory. ALAC accepted to have a member who has a voting light on the board level. And now the process is to see how we're going to elect that member. Cause it only the 15 members of ALAC who will elect this member or will it be the 15 members with the 5 region, with 1 voice per region or will all the ALS's of the region-- how will one elect this member and how will this be done, says Fatimata. This was discussed and of-- Alan Greenberg a member of ALAC who will prepare this process and so there will be a conference that will be discussed before it will be adopted. Did anybody have any remarks on this or any question--?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Tricia, if I may?

French Interpreter: Yes Cheryl. (French) Go ahead, Cheryl.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you, Fatimata. I have typed into the chats but did want to make it clear to everyone on the audio as well that the work group. Alan Greenberg is part of it along with Dave, myself, Sébastien Bachollet, Vanda Scartezini, Evan Leibovitch has prepared the white paper. It is in its final draft form at the moment. There is a few appendixes to be added and that will be happening-- we had a meeting earlier today. So that's happening later today and tomorrow. And the white paper to stimulate this discussion that Fatimata referred to will be out on no later than Monday but we hope Sunday this week in French, English, and Spanish. And it will be going for a 30-day comment period in advance of the teleconference that will be happening at the end of this month and that it is essential that individuals i.e. the members of the ALS's, the ALS's themselves, and the RALOs have input into this discussion. We are on a very tight timeframe. So the sooner your comments come in the better. And if you can-- if you want a regional call and it can happen earlier than the main call, I'm sure we're happy to support that as well. Thank you.

French Interpreter: Thank you, Cheryl. Fatimata says, thank you very much Cheryl. I believe that that's a very good thing. So we could react with respect to this document as soon as it's ready. That we need obviously to have a general position but of course we can still comment on an individual basis. So that's good.

Cheryl had asked the question, says Tijani, if we need to have a call before the main teleconference for AFRALO. We need an AFRALO call first of all. That was the question that Cheryl had asked us Fatimata. If we need our own call. She said do you need to have a call before the main call at the end of the month. So we could organize that. That might be a good idea regarding this question. The white paper? Yes, regarding the white paper, said Tijani. Cheryl, is that what you had said Cheryl?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yes.

French Interpreter: Okay, Yaovi has something to say. Yaovi said-- it depends on the content, says Yaovi. Once we know what the content is, then we need-- we would be able to say if we need a conference call beforehand. We need to see the paper first, obviously. Fatimata says, Yaovi that's true but if what is certain is my experience shows us that by discussing let's say an hour or half an hour, we could certainly have some good feedback and we wouldn't have a common position otherwise. And it's really not a good thing not to have at least a declaration from AFRALO, so, with our general position.

So I don't think-- I think that that would be a good idea to have it. We need to be able to establish a common position, says Fatimata. So obviously we need to see the paper but if the document that's going to be ready Sunday or Monday-- Oh it, perhaps we would have a week to be able to look at it beforehand and then have a week before, that would give us the time to look at the document and Yaovi we would be able to read it. But I don't think it's going to be that long anyway. Cause we've always asked to try to avoid something too long, but Fatimata says my answer would be yes to have that call beforehand. And so does Tijani agree. So, Dave, you agree to have a call beforehand? (French)

Dave Kissoondoyal: Yes, I agree to have a call but it is also importnat that's okay we comment on the document once. It is going to be put on the weekly. It's important that okay at least we start commenting at regional points or visa vie to the points first on the weekly and then and by a community conference call.

French Interpreter: Thank you, Dave.

Dave Kissoondoyal: Thank you.

French Interpreter: I agree, says Fatimata, with Dave. I believe that's a very good thing. So, Cheryl we agree to have this conference call a week before the end of the month or a week after receiving the document. I think that's a good idea so that we can choose the date and time as soon as we get the document or receive the document.

I think that we've made-- we've gone over all the points. Is there anything else that we need to discuss that hasn't been already discussed? Is there anything else we need to go over? She's asking the, I believe the English side? No, says Fatimata. Anybody?

So I believe-- I think we've had a really good meeting today and I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody. Thank you, Cheryl, Matthias, all of the people, Theresa, Theresa definitely. She's already left I believe. But we want to thank you all for participating. And of course we had thanked her and all the members of AFRALO who are with us, Dave, Mohamed, Yaovi, Tijani, of course, and with all of his commitment and energy and thank you all for your participation. And thank you Patricia. Sometimes we can drive you crazy, but we want to thank you all. In any case, thank every-- we want to thank everybody. (French) The English side, anything to say?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: No, just thank you so much. And yes, Tricia is a hero.

French Interpreter: Thank you very much. Thank you all. (French) Thank you everybody. (French) Thank you. So I think that's it, right? Bye-bye everybody. (French) Bye. Take care.

• No labels