Background

The At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) appoints, in consultation with LACRALO, a representative from LACRALO to serve on the ICANN Nominating Committee (NomCom ; http://nomcom.icann.org/). Such representatives of the NomCom are appointed for a one year term, and may be re-appointed for a further term of one year subject to the requirement under the ICANN By Laws that such a representative may only serve a maximum of two consecutive years.

While LACRALO does not formally elect a representative to the NomCom, LACRALO has to submit to ALAC a list of all accepted regional nominations for the NomCom position and may also make a recommendation of a preferred candidate to the ALAC.

The representative from Latin America and the Caribbean to the NomCom is Jacqueline Morris. She could be eligible for re-election because she has served one year.

Any representative from an accredited ALS can be a delegate and needs to understand the obligations and requirements for Nominating Committee members:
Obligations and Requirements of 2012 NomCom Delegates

The deadline for the submission of nominations to be considered as a delegate from LACRALO to the Nominating Committee is August 07, 2012.

If there are more than one accepted nomination after the deadline, then an electronic vote would be held to select a preferred LACRALO delegate to the Nominating Committee.

Outcome

Nominations for LACRALO Delegate to NomCom

Nominated by

Supported by

Date Nominee Accepted

VANDA SCARTEZINI

Sergio Salinas Porto

5 August 2012

ALEJANDRO PISANTY

JACQUELINE MORRIS

Erick Huesca

Dev Anand Teelucksing 

Alberto Soto

declined 10 August

4 August 2012

ACCEPTED JACQUELINE MORRIS 04/08/2012

Date: Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Subject: Re: [lac-discuss-en] REMINDER: DELEGATE NOMINATIONS OPEN PERIOD LACRALO NOMCOM

To: Dev Anand Teelucksingh <devtee@gmail.com>

Thanks Dev, for the nomination.

I think I've done a good job on the NomCom this past year, and I'd love to continue to serve ICANN for 1 more year (all I'm eligible for) on the NomCom, as the ALAC appointee from LAC.

I'll send an SOI soon.

Thanks again for the nomination and vote of confidence, and I formally accept!

Jacqueline A. Morris

ACCEPTED VANDA SACARTEZINI 05/08/2012

Gracias por su  nominación Sergio! Mucho gusto en aceptarla! Thank you very much for this nomination Sergio! I am glad to accept it.

Presento abajo mis razones.  I am also presenting below, in English, my reasons to accept the nomination, to avoid the dependence from the automatic translation;

Las razones para aceptar

Yo, como la mayoría de los miembros de LACRALO sabe, he sido presidente de NomComm este año, y este año varias cuestiones, como las exigencias para cumplir con ATRT,  cambiaron el trabajo en relación a los años anteriores, pero la demanda real de los miembros NomComm, desde mi punto de vista, son los siguientes: experiencia con  ICANN y los conocimientos de diferentes perfiles de cada posición NomComm debe seleccionar , y aún más importante es la experiencia sobre la forma de difusión, de convencer las personas cualificadas a proponer su nombre, ya que para tener los mejores nombres para ICANN , necesitamos tener un gran número de candidatos bien calificados.

Como algunos de ustedes ya saben, he estado en diferentes posiciones en la ICANN, (GAC, la Junta Directiva, ALAC + LACRALO (y como enlace de ALAC a la Junta Directiva), el SSAC, como miembro del comité de OSC-GNSO y  en NomComm, pero uno de los más  interesantes  trabajos en que me involucré en todos mis términos fue mi participación en la difusión y promoción para buscar nuevos nombres para ICANN: Desde el GAC yo estaba involucrada con  el trabajo de  convencer a nuevos países a participar, en la Junta Directiva he dedicado mi tiempo para organizar el programa de becas, Fellowship Program,  conseguir presupuesto para ello y participar en la promoción durante 3 años, divulgando la idea en nuestra comunidad, hablando en todas las reuniones y eventos que fui, y ayudando a seleccionar  las personas nuevas a convertirse en miembro de nuestra comunidad, y el programa es realmente un éxito por el excelente trabajo que está haciendo Janice.  Junto con Karla Valente,  empezamos el grupo el DNS Women (Mujeres en DNS), dando voz a las mujeres que trabajan en Internet en cualquier país que vamos, buscando patrocinio y ahora estamos teniendo reuniones con alrededor de 90 mujeres que presentan sus trabajos y hacen una red más sustentable. En SAAC iniciamos el comité de membresía para la difusión y selección de los miembros  técnicos para el SSAC(los miembros del SSAC no tienen ningún apoyo para participar en las reuniones de la ICANN, los técnicos  se seleccionan para producir documentos y estudios como voluntarios).

En NomComm pasado y este año hemos tenido los  más largos números de candidatos, con 18 candidatos de nuestra región este año, y me siento orgullosa de haber invitado personalmente a muchos de ellos.

NomComm es el lugar para las personas con gran experiencia de la ICANN, como creo que soy,  y que puedo contribuir con la experiencia  tanto en la difusión y  convencimiento, como en la selección de los mejores nombres para ICANN. Estoy segura de que seguiré trabajando para nuestra región y más y más miembros de esta región estarán en posiciones relevantes en la ICANN.

Gracias  por esta oportunidad.

Vanda Scartezini

Reasons to accept

I as the majority of LACRALO Members knows, I have been chair of NomComm this year, and this year several issues, as ATRT exigencies to comply with, make the work quite different from previous years, but the real demand for NomComm member, from my view, are: experience with ICANN and the knowledge many different profiles each position need to NomComm to fulfill, and yet more experience on how to outreach, since to have the best names  for ICANN we need to have a large pool of well qualified candidate.

As some of you already know, I have been in different positions in ICANN, (GAC, Board,  ALAC  + LACRALO  (and as ALAC liaison to the Board), SSAC , member of OSC-GNSO committee and NomComm, but one of the most interesting works I have done during all my terms was my involvement with outreach:

Since GAC  I was involved with outreach to convince new countries to participate, at the Board I work to organize the Fellowship Program, get budget for it and participate during 3 years promoting the idea  in our community, talking in every meeting and event I went, and helping to select new persons to become member of our community, and  the program is really a success due the excellent job Janice is doing. Together with Karla Valente we started the DNS Women, giving voice to women working on the Internet in any country we go, get sponsorship and now we are having meetings with around 90 women presenting their work and making a more sustainable network.

At SAAC we start the membership committee to outreach and select technical members for the SSAC (SSAC members have no support to participate at ICANN meetings, the technical guys are selected to produce papers  and studies as volunteers). At NomComm last and this year we had the two large numbers of candidates, with 18 LAC candidates this year, and I am proud to have invited personally lots of them.

NomComm is the place for people with large ICANN experience, as I believe I am, contributing with such experience to outreach and select the best names for ICANN. I am sure I will continue to work for our region and more and more members of this region to be seat in relevant positions in ICANN. 

Thank you for this opportunity.

Vanda Scartezini

DECLINED  ALEJANDRO PISANTY 10/08/2012

Colegas, amigos/as, compañeros/as,

tomo unos segundos de su tiempo para comunicarles que he decidido declinar la nominación como candidato para el NomCom por parte de LACRALO, que hiciera en mi favor el compañero Erik Huesca.

Como representantes de ISOC México nos interesa participar en los debates de LACRALO sin la carga de suspicacia alguna y en beneficio de los objetivos que alguna vez nos planteamos para que la labor de LACRALO y lo seguiremos haciendo con los mismos principios, a favor de que LACRALO opere sobre una base de expertise profundo y actualizado, con transparencia y honestidad, y con una participación amplia, diversa e informada.

La medida del éxito de LACRALO tendrá que seguir siendo la relevancia, oportunidad, profundidad e impacto de sus expresiones y recomendaciones sobre los temas sustantivos de desarrollo de políticas de ICANN y la preservación y avance del ecosistema correspondiente.

Saludos a todos.

Alejandro Pisanty

PREGUNTAS DE LA COMUNIDAD PARA LAS CANDIDATAS:

"The NomCom appointed Board members and other organizations ("Councils" of the SOs ...) and it uses different criteria. Can be grouped in:

1. Competence and familiarity with Internet technology and especially the DNS.

2. Administrative taxes, auditing, financial and corporate governance.

3. Representation (gender, region, profession).

What order of priority you apply these three criteria?

What think the other LACRALO's members?

Hopefully this will be a useful contribution to the election.

Alejandro Pisanty"

RESPUESTA DE VANDA

Thank you Alejandro for your questions, I believe add lots of value to this discussion

Board-

After ATRT the NomComm has a duty to each year, before the selection process starts,  to interview all ACs + SOs + Board in order to capture the specific demands  from Board members and their own seats. Board members specific capacity changes each year due the rotation process. Once some member is leaving the Board , his or her specific capacity may leave a lack of that knowledge, NomComm must try to fulfill.

Besides this specific demand NOMCOMM may have each year, the most relevant capacity for Board member we need to look after in any candidate is experience– preferable wisdom – in Board previous participation, capacity to understand the Board task that is different from an executive position, though this kind of past experience is an add value.

Independence  is a key capacity to new board members to avoid Conflict of Interest with issues the Board has to deliberate. Of course, honesty is a prerequisite.

Competence and familiarity with ICANN and the technology is certainly a value for the Board, and has a weight in all decisions, though not a mandatory requisite. Specific competences as auditing, taxes  financial etc., become relevant if there is a lack of these knowledge among the members; if there is enough knowledge, they become  not a target capacity that will define one or another candidate.

Representation, by the other hand, matters all the time: our bylaws demand a balance on geographic regions with minimum and maximum of such representation, then balancing a region is mandatory. Gender is not in our bylaws, but there is a common sense in our community that we need to have a very balanced gender members, in all ACs and SOs and more in the Board due its visibility, and inside the NOMCOMM this perception is very clear. Though the NOMCOMM shall look for competence ( better  wisdom) for any candidate to be selected for the Board, the gender is always considered to achieve the desirable balance.

More and more, time to dedicate to ICANN is become a big issue and NOMCOMM needs to really guarantee selectee will have the demanded time.

Languages capacity, though not a key, is becoming more and more relevant for the Board to show a real diversity to the community, with the ability to address to members of this community in different languages.

So, answer the question, there is no a rigid hierarchy for these points, as stated above, the priority may exist, or may vary each year.

For the other organizations inside the ICANN, the main point is to try to look for the profile among the candidates willing to seat in any of these positions, whether or not they can fulfill the requirements that specific AC or SO demanded for that year.

Here, as in the Board, some lack of knowledge, NOMCOMM receive as information from the ACs or SOs, may orient the selection, but some basic requirements are to pay attention:

GNSO – focus is on the business side, experience within professional board , capacity to work in team, capacity to understand the generic names business and the role this community plays in ICANN become very relevant. For them, time to dedicate to the council is very important. ( NomComm also pays attention on regions and gender balance, though there is no rules related to these balances.)

ccNSO – here the SO prefers someone from outside, bringing different knowledge to their group, coming from ALAC, GNSO, ASO  or from the anywhere in the community is welcome. They have all the knowledge about ccTLDs inside the SO they need. Again, capacity to work in team, time to dedicate. ( NomComm also pays attention on regions and gender balance, though there is no rules related to these balances.)

ALAC -  ALAC demands a different profile: not for profit organizations board experience, willingness to serve the community, capacity to respect different cultural behavior and way of thinking, time to dedicate to ALAC, languages capacity is becoming more and more relevant, different capacities to help to advise the Board regarding Users´ interest in all matters inside the ICANN. Then, technical capacity, legal on ICT area knowledge, financial skills, writing capacity ( there is a huge demand on writing reports) and others demanded each year from the ALAC will orient the selection process.

Since NomComm depend upon the candidates that will apply, the most relevant activity is the outreach. Convince experienced, independent and honest person to apply is the key task for any NomComm member, since without a good pool of candidates there will be no way to select the best for each position.

Thank you,

Vanda Scartezini

• No labels