Gisella Gruber:                        Cheryl just to say that on the phone line we got yourself and Olivier and on the Adobe Connect room we got Natalia, Olivier, Yrjo and Tijani.  We have apologies today from Dev, he's not able to make the call and from staff we got Heidi, Silvia, Nathalie and Matt and myself.  My system is still booting up, but is it now possible if we can just have a look at the action items from the last meeting, that would be good.  I don't even have the items, so someone else is going to have to read it through.  Olivier if you can possibly do that.  I'll [inaudible 00:51] the next [inaudible 00:52] responded to that, Heidi I think. 

Heidi Ullrich:                          Cheryl this is Heidi.  I put the link to the action items from the 9th into the Adobe Connect.  Actually, I may have put the wrong date, let me double check.  Yes, they're on the wrong page, sorry, but those are the ones from last week. 

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          So, it's Olivier here.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              That's good, thank you Olivier.  If you got the right ones up that would be useful.  I'm not able to get into the room at all at the moment.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Okay, thank you very much Cheryl.  This is Olivier here for the transcript.  We have three action items from the 9 January 2012 call.  The first one is Heidi and Matt to create Outreach Wiki page the week of the 9th of January and that has been completed.  And the next one is Heidi to contact Scott Pinzon and Lepinski and in fact it's Lepizinski.  I thought it was Lepinski, but anyway regarding moving Outreach and Inreach materials to a common page.

Heidi Ullrich:                          Actually that is supposed to be done, but I wanted to confirm that I can't show that action item correctly, but that was indeed what I was suppose to do, was to transfer the communication information to a common page or was that basically that we can assume that the request that we've made, for example, for At-Large or for beginners guide for podcasts, etcetera, will now be continued without us having to request them on an individual basis.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          So, I gather it's actually done, yes?

Heidi Ullrich:                          Yes.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Okay perfect, any comments?

Heidi Ullrich:                          If I could just for a moment go back to the first one of the Outreach Wiki?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Yes, absolutely please.

Heidi Ullrich:                          If I put the Wiki page, the link to the Outreach Wiki page, in the Adobe Connect, so if everyone on the call could take a look at that and let us know your comments Matt and I would be more then happy to incorporate those comments, thank you.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Okay, thank you very much Heidi.  And then we have the last of the three action items, Taskforce to send a recommendation to the ALAC to create an Outreach Inreach Working Group.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              [Inaudible 03:51] in private.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Well I haven't anyone say whether it has or not.  Heidi will you able to enlighten us on this please?  You might be muted.

Heidi Ullrich:                          Indeed I am thank you Olivier.  No, that has not yet happened but as we will be preparing the ALAC agenda for the 24th of this week that could be added to the agenda if the Taskforce would like to do that.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Yes, I think that's the way forward.  So, that's a continuing one.

Heidi Ullrich:                          Okay, so I'll make that to add to the ALAC agenda. 

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Okay.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Okay and that concludes the action items, so back to you Cheryl.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you very much and I still don't have the link, so it's rather hard on that little [04:58].  Just drop it to me and I'll reboot the system and I'll see if that would help me get in, that would be much useful.  It will be a little bit difficult [inaudible 05:12].  Dev isn't on the call or he is on the call?  I don't know who's in the room. 

Silvia Vivanco:                        Dev is not on the call.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Okay, thank you Silvia.  Somebody still has this [inaudible 05:34] sending back into the system and I think that's, I believe, the cause of the slight delay that you can hear.  Let's base the calls on the Technology Taskforce is going to be useful.

Silvia Vivanco:                        Sorry Cheryl, this is Silvia.  I’m sorry for interrupting, can you speak up a little bit because I hear you far away.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              I sound far away?

Silvia Vivanco:                        Yes.

Yrjo Lansipuro:                       Yes, the same here, this is Yrjo.  I can hardly hear what Cheryl was saying.

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Me too Cheryl.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              So, the Technology Taskforce is what I was going to refer to.  Is that any better?  Does that sound better for me or not because I don't know if --

Yrjo Lansipuro:                       Yes, it's louder now.  There is some distortion but anyway.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Well perhaps [inaudible 06:38] in very brief then I'll reconnect to using the Adobe Connect and see if it's [inaudible 06:50].

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Cheryl, it's very bad.  It's very distorted.  I don't understand what you're saying, Tijani speaking.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Okay, one moment and I'll boot up.  Olivier or Heidi, Nathalie and Matt, someone while I reconnect.

Heidi Ullrich:                          Okay, Olivier?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Yes, what would you like me to do?  I will take over for Cheryl for the time being.

Heidi Ullrich:                          Yes and I think it was she wanted to go over just a summary of the Taskforce prep call, that was my understanding.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Okay, alright.  Well, the Taskforce prep call has basically tested out the system for using the Adobe Connect room, one way of connecting over to the system rather then just making use of the Adigo line.  We also decided to go for both Adigo and also for the Adobe line, so we tested that up.  I'm going to say it will actually happen during the Taskforce call.  I'm a little rusty; do we have any notes on this because I haven't got any notes at all on that?

Heidi Ullrich:                          Yes in fact.  I'm going to put those into your Skype Olivier.

Oliver Crepin-Leblond:           Yes please, so then I can go through these because I haven't got any notes on this. 

Heidi Ullrich:                          Yes, they were action items.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you.

Heidi Ullrich:                          I'm going to forward them to your email.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you very much.  I can see quite a large number of notes on there.  Okay, so the action items as I see them on my screen the first one was Dev and Matt to work together to create an At-Large technology workspace.  And this technology workspace was going to include the following tools, confluence, including adding a guide to using confluence and any translation tools that are available. 

Confluence by the way is the Wiki effectively, so that people will be able to access this information when they're not aware of how to use the Wiki and then the next one was the Adobe Connect.  And as you have noticed we're now using Adobe Connect not only just as a desktop, but also trying to make it work for sound and for the microphone and basically being able to speak and hear. 

And there are problems [inaudible 10:09] with it effectively as you might see the sound, the feedback, but at the same time there are also advantages because in some places internet connected video and listening and following the call through the internet is actually better then doing it using the phone which keeps on dropping out all the time.  But on top of that there are several things that can be added and one of them is the translation tool where Matt Ashtiani was going to ask Roman on an update on how translation tool can be installed. 

There is a tool where you can have a pod and you type in your on language and others read it in their own language and that's quite incredible, but the thing is it has to be installed somehow.  So, that's one thing and then of course Skype.  There's also a translation tool in there and there is an At-Large Skype chat that takes place and perhaps having a link over to the text file of the At-Large Skype chat that gets taken every now and then and stored there will be something that will be in the At-Large technology workspace. 

Then they'll be mailing list info, certainly we have many mailing lists, how to subscribe, how to unsubscribe, etcetera.  Then another thing the ALS Starter Kit in the six UN Languages, so that will be a location to find [inaudible 11:48] and then the At-Large social media.  I think many people are not aware that the RALO s have Facebook pages and certainly AFRALO and URALO have got an At-Large Facebook page.  I think there's also an At-Large Facebook page as well and also At-Large and RALO LinkedIn and also a Twitter channel and I think that very few members are aware of this, so there will be information on that.  And there will also be a suggestion box where people can suggest new technology tools.  I know that's quite a handful of things.  I see Heidi has got her hand up, so I'll stop here for awhile and I'll let Heidi speak.  Heidi?

Heidi Ullrich:                          Yes, on that last point about the Twitter and LinkedIn as Scott Pinzon has recently informed me that they are now able to have a person moderate a Twitter chat on a single topic of choice.  So, for example, the At-Large community could identify a topic that they would like to have a Twitter chat on for 30 minutes or so and this person, a contractor, would be able to moderate that Twitter chat.  So, it's up to the At-Large community if they would like to take advantage of that, this new offer.  Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Now that's actually hugely important.  Can you hear me better by the way? Cheryl here for the transcript record.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          I can indeed, yes, very well.

Yrjo Lansipuro:                       Now it sounds better, yes. 

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Okay, should I continue Cheryl on the action items or do you wish to come back in the game and just take the back end?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              No, if you continue that's fine.  The only other thing I just wanted to mention though with that Twitter page thing, that might be something for regions themselves.  It sounds particularly useful because they can run local topic discussions and run them, for example, for events and things.  So, it might be something that we need to actually explore in a demonstration sense during a meeting in Costa Rica. 

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you Cheryl, Olivier here.  An excellent idea and I think that Matt will be looking forward to give us a full demo on this since not all of us know about Twitter and certainly these are resources, not only Twitter but many other of the resources such as LinkedIn and the Facebook page which are currently underutilized.  Heidi you put your hand up?

Heidi Ullrich:                          Yes, given that the Chair of the Taskforce and the Chair of ALAC are on this call, in fact what we see in action item for Costa Rica to have a demonstration of the Twitter chat while in Costa Rica.  I would suspect Sunday might be a good day.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you Heidi and given that there has been a request from the Chair of this working group and of the Chair of ALAC has heard this, and I see a yes please.  So, I think I might say yes please as well if I wish to remain on the call without being [inaudible 15:27].

Heidi Ullrich:                          Okay, thank you.  It's noted.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you very much Heidi.  Its Olivier here, so now we'll continue with the action items and the next thing is the RALO Adobe Connect Outreach and Silvia is to prepare a draft text of usage expectations including that chats are to be captured and recordings are to be linked captured.  I'm not quite sure what that is supposed to be, perhaps linked or captured and then linked?

Silvia Vivanco:                        Probably.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Probably, thank you.  And then next once the text is approved Silvia to promote RALO, AC rooms on RALO lists and during RALO meetings, so each RALO will have their room and so they'll be able to use it note only for the monthly but then, I guess, for whatever they wish to use it for if they need to have more RALO meetings.

Heidi Ullrich:                          Olivier this is Heidi.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Yes Heidi, please.

Heidi Ullrich:                          Yes, just to clarify.  All RALOs do already have an AC room for their use and the point of these various action items related to that is strictly or it's primarily to promote and increase the awareness of this Adobe Connect room and to show ALSs how to use this room, their RALO room.  Thank you.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you Heidi, and will this include the use of the actual sound capabilities, voice listening and speaking?

Heidi Ullrich:                          Yes.

Silvia Vivanco:                        Heidi thank you for clarifying, I just wanted to ask everyone, so the main role here is to promote the [inaudible 17:35]?

Heidi Ullrich:                          I think it’s dual.  There's a dual purpose, so it's basically to promote but also to train how to use it.

Silvia Vivanco:                        Okay.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Okay thank you very much Heidi and for the transcript this was Silvia who I believe along with Heidi.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you Silvia, Tijani your hand is up?

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Yes, please.  I wanted to say that it's true that each RALO has an Adobe Connect room, but without the audio committee.  Perhaps now we will have it, but there is a very important problem, it is the bandwidth.  And we know that in Africa the bandwidth is not so large, so wide, so perhaps we will have problems in using it, but we will try it very soon.  And our next teleconference is if it is available for the next teleconference I will try to use it.  I will try to use it for everybody, but the Adigo will be the backup.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Okay, thank you very much Tijani and I think that all regions will probably have to try it and it might start as quite a mess with people not really knowing how it works and with various feedback and sometimes having problems and sometimes working very well.  But, that's why we're actually trying this because if it had the chance of making things better for some parts of the world then it certainly is a good thing.  Any other comments or I can continue further down the list, so then we're back to the Ad-Hoc Technology Taskforce and that is to create a one page goals methods result document for the technology taskforce. 

Dev is also to draft the aims of the Technology Taskforce and Dev is to work with Silvia on text for calls for a Technology Taskforce members and the membership is to be open to At-Large community members with a minimum of one person per RALO, so that every RALO is affectively represented on the Taskforce and I think it's particularly important.  There was quite explicit next to the RALO email accounts, staff is to work with IT to setup a RALO leadership email accounts, for example ALACRALO.secretariat@ICANN.org or ALACRALO.president@ICANN.org.  Will this be forwarding over to the president and to the secretariat, just to be sure?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Correct.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you very much Cheryl.  So, that will be a forwarding service basically to the secretariat and to the president of the RALOs and RALO leadership emails are to be public archives.  So, there will be a page where you can then consult the RALO leadership emails.  And then moving on to the next part, Matt is to work with Roman or Shawn on informing the Technology Taskforce of the extra features of confluence which is what we're dealing with at the moment, including the uploads and main list archives, discussion groups, etcetera, so there are quite a few extra features that we can have with confluence and then that's it. 

At the bottom of this whatever, [inaudible 21:35] staff says, "Please let me know if I left some AIs out or any of the above need to be revised."  Does anyone have any comments on this and I'll hand it all back to you if nobody has comments.  Well Cheryl you're back on, thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you and hopefully I'm not only easier to hear, but there's no distortion.  Is that the case now?

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    It's okay, very good.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Perfect.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Terrific.  Okay, well actually running through the more extensive action items out of the Taskforce the technology thing was covered in a great deal, so if we now also just mention for our next meeting, but with Dev in attendance at our next meeting, we may need to just quickly review those.  And some of those will be a medium term between now and the Costa Rica meeting, an ongoing but there's an awful lot there and I think there is exciting step forward the use with the RALOs and indeed eventually the ALSs in local policy development work and discussions using those tools. 

Olivier with the email address forwarding that was something that the team particularly came to see happen because it would allow handover and transition when people change roles and we felt that was [inaudible 23:28] important for that to be a working practice as soon as possible.  At this stage it was only suggested that a Chair of ALAC did it from an ALAC level, but maybe in the future that you might want to review some form of universal addressability for representatives from RALOs into the ALAC having a similar type of standard address.  But at the moment it's certainly something that we felt to be essential for the regions and we would also want to have that extended in the not to distant future. 

I believe Heidi that my note is being captured properly in the action item.  We do need to explore how we move ahead, ALS addressability as well from an email point of view.  We were going to explore perhaps just utilizing the standard number which each ALS has as a unique identifier.  As you know Olivier that every time we get a new ALS application it's allocated by number and so it might be possible for us to just have an address at that number, ALS number 135 for example, that also can redirect leadership team of the ALS so we can get the penetration of information in a little bit deeper to the agents or our server, to agents depending on your metaphor.  Okay if there is no other discussion let's move on.  Go ahead Oliver please, over to you.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you Cheryl, a very interesting thing actually.  The only concern, being of course, having to constantly create new email addresses.  Would those be closed after the comment period is closed because the more email redirection you have the more likely you are to suddenly have spam and the last thing we wish is to have our members being showered with more and more spam.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              I'm not sure why you linked it to comment period.  It will be an address, a single address.  Let's assume [inaudible 26:15] you as number 34 [inaudible 26:17].  We have mail going out to number 34 at At-Large -ICANN for whatever it was, I think it was actually ICANN.org, so number 34 at ICANN.org and that will redirect to whatever contact point the ALS wishes to use.  In this case it would perhaps be an executive list, the ALS.  So anything you send to that email address will go to the executive mailing list or could even if some people want it to go to membership list.  That's not going to start a spam problem. 

That's just going to mean that ICANN and ALAC know they have a single address which promulgates and forwards to whoever is the selected contact point.  It would necessarily be associated with a reaction of spam by using that.  [Inaudible 27:28] if there was appropriate spam filters and if that address itself with only used internally for ALAC.  If we put it on websites and things there is still going to be risks the same way as any other address.  [Inaudible 27:46] do you think that?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you Cheryl, it's Olivier.  Yes, it's a lot clearer in my mind.  I just thought when I mentioned comment I thought it was the address that you would publicize to lists or to the ALSs if they had to comment about the application.  That was [inaudible 28:07] with me because the moment it goes out on the list then one starts receiving spam unfortunately after awhile.  Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Yes and I think we probably need to be fairly picky about where we're fetching our addresses inadvertent come as advertised and we certainly need to have them not harvestable off the site.  Now that's something perhaps we ought to note here.  Now all of what we do when we put an email address into a Wiki page, for example, is as perhaps secure as it should be.  I don't know whether for example if we're going to put email addresses in some of the profile pages that you're setting up Olivier, that you're insisting that it has the blank space, the add- ins where brackets written in Latin script clause for your record space and then the rest of the address or indeed whether we're going to use the tool that allows you to put the word email and then the address ability, the actual [inaudible 29:26] or at your email.com for example, Matt behind the word, CLO email as a link.  Go ahead Olivier.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you Cheryl, it's Olivier.  I think that we should perhaps have Matt work on this because I think that Matt is pretty knowledgeable about things and he might come up with a few ideas.  I just have concerns that the standard ways that are used, like for example open brackets, AT closed brackets, are things which everyone uses and everyone knows about.  And as we all know spammers are clever people and the first thing they'll go for now is to also where these do harvest or they can spam it.   Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Okay, well we got an action item out of our action item from our Taskforce team meeting and we haven't even had a Taskforce team meeting when the action item was put together.  Convolute indeed and Heidi it might be something that needs to also talk to the IT people about as well just in case there's something specifically they can do.  And Olivier I think he credits some of our ALS members a little bit too highly with using the standard way of bracket system.  You can find that's not universally known and we do have people who don't particularly may not be intimate to find the chapters for example who run very bold standard addressing and we probably do need to make that into some sort of a guideline and proposal for people to follow as well. 

Okay, we had our item that was the update from the various new social networking tools and we will have some Q&A and show in tell on that one the Sunday in Costa Rica.  So, we can now jump into a little bit of a brief report, perhaps Heidi if you could give us a little bit of a feedback on the latest interaction between senior ICANN staff and what we might need to be putting together for our report from the SIC because that's all in preparation for Costa Rica as well.

Heidi Ullrich:                          Yes, thank you Cheryl.  This is Heidi for the transcript record.  I have written Olaf who is the person who is in charge of reviews, for example the capability and the [inaudible 32:16] review team, the[inaudible 32:18] review team, etcetera, is also the person who our staff support of the SIC.  And I've written him as well as Sam, Samantha Eisner, who is one of those lawyers that we work with on exactly what it is that we need to present to the SIC for the status update. 

I have yet to hear back from him.  Some of the questions that we've asked him include the length of the report, the format of the report, whether it could be relatively brief with the PowerPoint, a few PowerPoint slides, and a table that shows the percentage completion of each of the 13 recommendations.  During our Taskforce prep call last week that is what we agreed upon and I'm hoping that Olaf will agree to that. 

I will also ask him for the date that this report needs to be submitted to the SIC and finally we asked whether the SIC would like to meet with either the Taskforce during Costa Rica or the ALAC during Costa Rica in order to review and to discuss the remaining part.  Thank you Cheryl.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you and I think that's a great step forward, so I think it's important that this Taskforce realizes that reporting function is beginning otherwise we might have members who share would be looming at us as we get toward Costa Rica.  In fact I think in two weeks time, perhaps three, will probably give out a fair amount of our normal call to looking at where we are in terms of the reporting status.  So, if we just put a little pin in our calendars at this point to look at that and one of the first, if not second week of February meetings.  Okay, now straight then into taking off something from our box list here.  If we look at our screen to line Item 11 which is the, "Create a job description for ALAC members, liaisons, and other At-Large leadership including qualification requirements [inaudible 34:33] culpabilities and objective criteria for performance evaluation", you'll see that this particular meets the needs of a couple of the recommendation subunits, that's 4.5 and 4.6.

And those of you who are keeping their finger on the pulse of resolution from the last meeting we had in the Senegal in Dakar will know that the ALAC in fact formed in principle, but it has not been advertised for membership but it is going to be this week.  A work group with a Taskforce for the review of all these rules of procedure for the ALAC and indeed part of that is these job descriptions and the metrics that goes with them.  So it's at the Taskforce's will that we put that substantially in progress and the specific work team implemented and would be reporting back at Costa Rica or after Costa Rica.  What do you think is achievable?

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    At Costa Rica.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              At Costa Rica, okay done.  So this one we can actually move from our pile of things to do to that other committees.  Now there is virtually no resource requirement there Heidi, so that ones going to be very close to completed I believe.  The main fact is small resource requirements because we will this time ensure that our rules to procedure and that [inaudible 36:22] are promulgated in the appropriate view and languages when they go live.  At the moment they're only in English, French, and Spanish.  I believe the latest version is in all three languages.  Silvia, you and Nathalie need to double check on that because  I [inaudible 36:48]  access scene, which ones and I'm not sure whether the latest versions are in all languages or not.

Heidi Ullrich:                          Yes, I think that you're correct Cheryl.  I think it's just English and Spanish, but that's an excellent idea to have them in six UN Languages. 

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Certainly that's very important.  Okay, we just captured that and make sure that gets almost part of your work progress and standard procedures Heidi, that anytime we change one of these in the future we need to make sure it's updated in all of the languages and that's going to assist new members or regional leaders understand what they're jumping into.  Okay moving on down there was no discussion on that one, "To create an implement a transparent sanction process for nonperformers."  So, this is where we have to get rid of that word before we all start jumping up and down. 

We do recognize that the word sanction need to be avoided at all cost and I believe the agreement was that Dev perhaps you can clarify this for us, at the Senegal meeting I think the agreement was to look at the terminology, performance metrics, and there were other words linked to that.  We were looking at performance metrics and remediation methodology, that has some residence in my mind, but without going back to tapes and transcripts. 

I guess this Taskforce can discuss what language it would like to propose it replaces here, but we can't have that terribly inflammatory word, sanction, anywhere near the document.  I think Heidi want to proceed with that.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you Cheryl, actually there were two sticky issues, one was the use of the word sanctions.  The other one was the understanding that the ALAC would not be telling the RALOs what to do, but the RALOs themselves would implement their own procedures and the ALAC would double up its procedures.  There was no top down.  There was a bottom up or in this case I guess a distributed coordination between RALOs and the ALAC, but certainly their use of the word sanctions was unpopular let's say.  So, remediation or performance metrics perhaps, attending metrics, I don't know.  I guess the wider the word is the more general the nomenclature is the more important it will be for the group working on this to actually to be able to define what this actually includes.  It's really not for us to say.  There is going to be a group who works specifically on this.  Thank you Cheryl.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Okay, thank you Olivier, on with that to recognize Tijani.  It may not be up to us, this Taskforce, to specify the outcomes of how these things to be implemented or enabled, particularly at the regional level, but it is up to this Taskforce to clean up the language so it stops derailing the process by debates which are not furthering the finishing of the program.  So, I think we do need to get the language right in the recommendation.  Go ahead Tijani

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Thank you.  You know Olivier I am an engineer as you are and an engineer never call the cops, other thing then a cop.  Okay, I mean reach out [inaudible 40:51].  Okay, so what I mean is that I understand and I want to avoid the word sanction, it's clear.  And I agree also to find language that doesn't have it, but I am for performance metrics rather then attendance metrics.  The last thing you said, that ALAC will not tell the RALOs what to do, I agree with you, but I want to ask a question here. 

If a member of ALAC appointed by the RALO or elected by the RALO had a very bad performance I don't think there's not synergy between the ALAC and the RALO.  They are not separated, so it's true that the decision should be taken by the RALO, but the ALAC has its say in this matter.  Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you Tijani.  Again, I think this is something that the particular Taskforce on the performance metrics will be going into in greater detail, but there are some baselines and some expectations which I think we can enshrine into the rules of procedure and by of course developed on the contract, and that's a lowercase contract, and expectations sent out in the memorandum between the regions and the ICANN and also in our bylaws.  The ICANN bylaws as well as the specifics of any additional expectations of the region they put on one of its representatives should be articulated in a written form that is easy enough for everyone to understand what the expectations are. 

And certainly for example it's not necessarily a measure just attending every ALAC meeting if your representative from RALO XYZ has attended everyone of the ALAC meetings have never opened their mouth, contributed or whatever into any of the debates, then the region may see that as a very good attendance metric but not a very good performance metric.  So these things need to be defined in partnership, that as well as being defined in partnership I think need to be clearly articulated and recorded somewhere. 

For example we do have in the current rules of procedure the expectation that a certain number of ICANN meetings will be attended by ALAC representatives through the regions and from the nominating committee and also that a number of ALAC vote to [inaudible 44:19] for will be responded to and polls will be responded.  So maybe that the Metrics Taskforce working with the secretariat and the edge communities may wish to propose to the Rules of Procedure  Taskforce that more specific language is used in our rules or [inaudible 44:43] and they then can be perhaps duplicated across regions and of course the regions are looking at doing some harmonizing as well. 

For example one thing that is not articulated in terms of performance, that is an expectation in terms of looking at the role of the Chair of the ALAC one might suggest that could be the same for the leader or Chair of any particular RALO is to before any form of remediation activity be undertaken a private and quiet chat happens.  So, for example, if Olivier is particularly disappointed in my performance, but I have stopped turning up to meetings and being active on work groups, etcetera, he should before hauling me over the call publically and demanding that my performance be changed or remediated in someway we have a quiet chat to see what the issue is and what indeed it might be, that I might just need to have a little bit of time off and be replaced for a length of time or whatever. 

So, there needs to be discussed approach as well as a hard line approach.  The other thing I would strongly encourage Taskforce to consider is removal of the example.  I think we all understand the reason why we thought we would articulate for the ALAC and there are communities At-Large what type of sanctions we were to be talking about, for example a withholding of [inaudible 46:25] support on nonperforming members.  But, I really am concerned about having that language specifically outlined in any form of report going beyond this point and I see Yrjo, please go ahead.

Yrjo Lansipuro:                       Yes, thank you Cheryl.  It's Yrjo for the record.  Yes, I'm very much in favor of a soft approach, soft language.  I mean this is a volunteer organization and you don't really use words like sanctions and I also agree with what Cheryl said about not giving these examples here at the end.  I am basically the formalization proposed by Olivier in the chat would be more or less okay.  Perhaps you could actually say, "Create performance metrics and let's appropriate a graduated remedial process for nonperformers."  Generally just make it as soft as possible. 

Also what I'm not clear of in my mind is ALS members in this content, I mean I think the ALSs are so different from each other and this is something that could be left to ALACs themselves.  Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you Yrjo and I think the point we made in the Dakar meeting where some of the ALS indicated which have they value contributions of some of their members would be very different between each of them.  For example, you may have a highly contributed and valued member who quite literally never turns up to a single teleconference, but is running the local website and hugely involved in the social networking or the seeing of all of its members in the local community.  So, it certainly is something that we may not have the knowledge on.  It needs to be left up to the local [inaudible 48:44], that action.  But it does need to be I think from that conversation in Dakar, the understanding that not only does it have to satisfy the ALS performance requirement, but it has to satisfy whatever the regional ones are.  And indeed when it comes into the ALAC, very much what the ALAC representative requirements are.  And do I see Olivier, so go ahead please Olivier.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you Cheryl, its Olivier here.  I wonder whether the sentence which we have, you know the nonperformance of ALAC, RALO, and ALS members, does it mean what we think it means?  I don't know who drafted this originally.  Could it say, "Members of the ALAC, Members of the RALO and ALSs."  I don't even think the RALOs have anything to say about it and ALS can have whatever members it wants, so it would be, "Member ALSs maybe rather then ALS members," but at the same time members of the ALAC and I gather that members of the RALO are members of the ALSs except in those regions where there are individual members. 

Maybe this has to be cleaned up and made understandable rather then having to deal with ALS members, some of whom might be totally inappropriate for At-Large in general, thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Notes be picked up and I would like to suggest Olivier is to show on the transcript record that we do take an action item on this.  I think this whole set, part, need to be reworded, that it is clearly being pushed out to some other Taskforce's to do the actual implementation.  But their charter, for a want of a better word, needs to be properly dimidiated and its dimidiated I would suggest in detailed discussion at the Costa Rica meeting.  So perhaps it's another topic for a 14 minute session and it will be a 14 minute session I fear on this Sunday in Costa Rica.  

If I may be so bold as to propose the specifics to your agenda Mr. Chairmen?  It is hugely important and the region leaders must be involved in it.  What we do need to do is have appropriate language for this action item and implementation and asked and being discussed in the community between now and then.  So, perhaps it would be appropriate for us to work on this language again next week, but it would be good to have some draft language done online between now and then if possible.  Go ahead Olivier.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you Cheryl, its Olivier.  Do you expect a separate working team to be created to [inaudible 51:58] this prior to the Costa Rica meeting or do you expect --

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              We've already done that.  We created it in Dakar.

Oliver Crepin-Leblond:           Yes, but do you expect it to work for the team itself, to work prior to Costa Rica or do you expect that first meeting to be in Costa Rica?  And I'm asking this because, okay fine, the  language will be different, but we want to spend another 40 minutes discussing what was discussed in Dakar will be a be bit of a --

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              No, you just need to get the buy in of your leadership, your original leadership and your secretariat etcetera in Costa Rica.  But I would like to think that there will be two, if not three meetings of the particular review Taskforce already completed before Costa Rica and the path of what they will be doing in that 30 or 40 minute session is reporting back to the wider community. 

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Okay, thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Does that satisfy you because we need to move on form where we are and not go backwards, but this Taskforce's job to get those language right for them to work from. 

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          I'm personally satisfied Cheryl, its Olivier, but I hope everyone else will be too.  Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              I very much doubt that, but we can only do the best we can do.  If I may indulge you for just a moment or two more, that's a fairly large action item we just put on ourselves and we will need staff to get this out.  That will be one of times when we need to get a page of discussion going on, a Wiki page in on the left.  So if we can pick up on that and get that going as soon as possible that will be good.  I would like to think that at the next preparation call that we will hold later this week we can already have some draft language for the consideration of the Taskforce next week being put together. 

If the Taskforce itself hasn't progressed very far by the end of this calendar week I would suggest that job then goes to the leadership team when we come back to the Taskforce of next week's call of that starting point and we can propose modified language.  And then also get that particular sub-Taskforce running, the one that will be looking at the metrics specifically. 

The very last thing which I would like to finish up on so we can move on to recommendations [inaudible 54:56] other then pick up on this action item at next week's call is the final one which is, "Create in collaboration with ICANN nominating committee, the NomCom, approach is to the need and replacement both of NomCom appointments to the ALAC and of ALAC appointments to the NomCom."  And Olivier I believe conversations are still happening but progress is, shall we say, even nonexistent or unlikely.  In fact we have to be clever about this, over to you Olivier.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you very much Cheryl, its Olivier.  Yes, the initial discussions which we have had and which we conducted directly in Dakar since the NomCom was sitting in the room next to our room led to very little positive feedback from the NomCom.  Where the NomCom specifically said, "Well we don't know, we will find out with legal and," and the response was, "We're not going to work on anything about recalling or replacement of NomCom appointments.  This is something which you have to deal with. ”

The responsibility has been somehow rejected onto us and therefore the suggestion is that we proceed forward with designing assistance ourselves and then comeback to the NomCom if we need to attain their agreement.  That's my understanding; others might have a different understanding of it.  I see that Yrjo has got his hand up, maybe he will be able to add to this.  Thank you Cheryl.

Yrjo Lansipuro:                       Yes, thank you.  Yrjo for the record.  Well actually when I look at this text, that we talk about two distinct things here.  First of all a recall of the persons who are on NomCom as representatives for the five At-Large regions which is something that the At Large, ALAC, and those RALOs  who elected or proposed these persons to the NomCom, they could do of course I mean given that there is reasons for that and there is also a process. 

Within the second part is recall of NomCom appointments to the ALAC and that something more difficult because, I mean, somehow the ALAC would take some powers that are now invested in NomCom and that is, in my mind, much more problematic.  Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you Yrjo and I see Olivier, but I think what we might need to do is actually do more not less on this and split that into two separate actionables.  I think having those two things linked is more problematic and I'd also note that we were fairly less careful in this language unlike the previous line items and we are talking about replacement not to recall.  So for example, a [inaudible 58:40] process where we had resignations from a NomCom appointee to the ALAC has giving an example of at least of how the NomCom can manage to replace a now retired or resigned ALAC appointment that they have made in a prior round.  I see Olivier and then I see Tijani.  Go ahead Olivier and then Tijani.  You might be muted Olivier.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you Cheryl, its Olivier here and yes I was muted.  In fact I was unmated and when I touched the button again then I became muted just before speaking.  So I totally support the suggestion of having those two unlinked since they're two different animals.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              I think you've done it again.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          I'm still speaking.  Can you hear me?

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Yes.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Maybe it's Cheryl that can't hear me now.  So yes the two are two different animals.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              I can hear you.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Okay great, thank you Cheryl.  The two are two different animals.  The first one is, so the ALAC appointments to the NomCom are really firmly in the ALAC hands and it's for the NomCom to affectively tell the ALAC whether someone has to be replaced for what ever reason it is, if that person has dropped off the NomCom or has resigned or whatever it is.  The other way around is a little more tricky and so having the two separate is definitely a good point.  I just wanted to come back and make it clear, the NomCom basically told. 

It came back to us and said, "We appoint people to the ALAC.  We don't take people off, so effectively you would have to deal with this in your own camp."  So in the case that we had recently we had someone resign from the ALAC and sold the ALAC then advise the NomCom and the NomCom went to appoint someone else and so that have seems to have been cleared.  The question now is whether the ALAC is able to appoint someone, sorry, how is it, you have to force the resignation of someone or basically fire someone.  I'm not sure.  This is the thing where the NomCom says that something for the ALAC to deal with and so that's firmly in our hands.  Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you Olivier, over to you Tijani.

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Yes, thank you Cheryl.  First of all I totally agree with Olivier that we have to separate the two cases.  Our appointment in the NomCom is something that we deal with, no problem, but the other side is more complicated.  But I don't think that there is something which is very problematic because we have a problem, we have to set the right tools for it and it could be solved.  So the replacement, not the recall, the replacement of the ALAC member appointed by the NomCom we should set the rules for how to inform the NomCom or to ask the NomCom to replace him.  It is not impossible.  I don't think that it is impossible and I don't think that it is a very big problem.  We have just to change our rules so that it could be possible for us.  Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you Tijani and so we will be planting that to the appropriate rules of procedure and Metric Taskforces, but we do need to do our own editing on our table on reporting as we do with the previous line items to ensure that we have split those into two quite separate things.  And this is one where I think the example that Olivier gave with the recent experience might need to be articulated, so perhaps we can box that out as a specific example.  I think it was a successful if not perhaps done as hastily as we would have liked the process, but we do at least have something now which is president. 

And at that point unless there is a further discussion I'd like to thank you all very much for your indulgence in the late start which was totally my fault due to connectivity issues and computers having decided that they desperately needed to update themselves, software, why I was overnight and were not going to start off very promptly for me and then connect to the Internet it all.  I couldn't even get to an agenda let alone into the Adobe Connect room. 

I would point out however that in the calendar there was no links to either the Adobe Connect room or the agenda page, so we still need to make sure if we're going to use these unified communication tools such as shared calendars that they are all kept up to date accurately with the current meetings at any given time.  Is there any other business before we close this meeting?  Sorry, Tijani I see you, go ahead please.

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Yes, thank you Cheryl.  It's only to say that using the [inaudible 01:04:56] activity on the Adobe Connect is a very good, but sometimes it is interrupted.  For my case for example sometimes the bandwidth became very bad and I don't hear you.  I am interrupted and I'm dropped more or less, so is there any possibility to back up it with the audible anytime we have the problem?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              I'm sure that is the case Tijani.  I certainly would have the phone to hand and we should be able to have that sort of backup running.  One of the things that we experimented with I think successfully is particularly if people are running cords are using headsets and speakers associated with those headsets or a headset microphone in combination with their computer to connect that does give a better audio quality and then the lower bandwidth connection more tightened, more secure. 

But I will always have, at least at this stage, as telecommunication connectivity worldwide the phone to hand and we could always have an Adigo line open, not muted, and so you only have to unmute and put yourself on the speaker which are phone to get back into the system.  What we might do Heidi is just make sure that Silvia or Natalie when they are putting together their clever books of words that the care and fitting of an audio enables Adobe Connect room.  You might want to make a note of that at least in our transition, but I'll think we'll pick that up in our next planning meeting on Thursday or Friday.

Heidi Ullrich:                          Okay thank you Cheryl.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Okay, in which case thank you all and I look forward very much to starting with a fresh recommendation.  We are going to begin next week--

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Thank you Cheryl and thank you all, bye-bye.

Yrjo Lansipuro:                       Okay, bye-bye.

Heidi Ullrich:                          Bye-bye, thanks.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you all.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              -- call some of the item four issues at recommendation 5 which is all about strategic and operational planning processes.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you Cheryl.  That's a bit strange it looks as though Cheryl cut off for awhile.  I got the rest of Cheryl's description.

• No labels