Heidi Ulrich:                           So again Cheryl thank you.  This is Heidi.  We are going to try you again.  In the meantime, Seth can you please go over the action items from the last call?  And then I believe Cheryl that you’ve asked that until we get you on a good line that Olivier chair the call, is that correct?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Correct.

Heidi Ulrich:                           Okay.  Seth if you could go ahead with the action items from the last call, and then Olivier are you able to chair?

Seth Greene:                            Heidi?  Heidi, Seth here.  Yes, I’ll get the action items up right now.  Are they as usual on the meeting page?

Heidi Ulrich:                           Yes they are.

Seth Greene:                            Okay, thank you.  Sorry for the delay.  Matt if you’re on the call or Gisella, if you can do this any quicker than I can that might be helpful.

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         I have the action items.  It’s Olivier speaking.

Seth Greene:                            Hi Olivier.

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         I’ve got them in front of me on the screen, so if it helps then I can start right away.

Seth Greene:                            Would you kindly, Olivier?  Thank you.

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         Yes, sure Seth.  It’s Olivier for the transcript records.  The project task force on the 5th of December 2011 had a number of action items and if I’m on the correct page, which I clicked on from the original agenda that was sent to us, the first one is ‘Staff to work with the Chair to ensure all regions are represented on task force calls.  If apologies are refused, alternative and regional reps are to be invited.’  Heidi, any points on this or should we just move through them?

Heidi Ulrich:                           I think move through them.  Seth, can you please mark any that need to be…

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         Enforced.  I think enforced is the way.

Heidi Ulrich:                           Thank you.

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         Okay, next one. At-Large manager of regions to report back on use of the At-Large calendar within the regions.  Next one, Wiki page on At-Large calendar to be created that contains the calendar and how to use it.  Once completed, staff to send to the radio lists and radio meetings.  Okay next one, Regional manager to give feedback on use of At-Large calendar by ALSs to ALAC task force in January 2012.  That, I guess, is ongoing.  Next one…yes, Heidi?

Heidi Ulrich:                           Yes, that is in progress, Matt.  So if you can mark that as ‘in progress’?

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         Okay, I gather that none of the previous ones were effective, have they?

Heidi Ulrich:                           Well the first one, let’s see, I think I’m going to ask Gisella to confirm but I think there are people from each region on this call.

Gisella Gruber:                        I didn’t hear anyone from America at my last call.

Heidi Ulrich:                           Actually that’s a good point.  I was just thinking that too.  So nobody from NARALO.

Gisella Gruber:                        No, sorry, Gisella here, we didn’t receive any apologies from them.

Heidi Ulrich:                           Ah, okay, thank you.  Now the next Olivier, next two action items were actually stated in the summary minutes during last week’s call, that they should be confirmed, affirmed during this call.  So I’m not sure when Cheryl would like to do that.

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         Okay, well we’ll breeze through them and then we’ll let Cheryl deal with them when she comes back online.  So the ones that we’re speaking about is Euro’s suggestion to not establish the working groups that will ensure all At-Large information already available, is organized properly until after the completion of the ICANN website revamp, to be affirmed formally during the next call scheduled on the 12th of December 2011. 

And the one after that is Dev’s suggestion of the creation of a small workspace to monitor the status of changes on ICANN’s website revamp, to be affirmed formally during the next call scheduled on 12th of December with establishing of a small sub-team to meet on earning space, drafting, etcetera.  The third one as well looks like it is there as well a technology workspace to be established with working mechanisms in place in January 2012. 

Dev can lead the activity on this workspace and the workspace to include staff which includes Matt, Sylvia, Heidi, and Scott Penson, I gather, as required.  So that I guess is in progress.  And the next one is, by February 2012 RALO meetings to have Dev and Cheryl Langdon-Orr on calls to review the work of the technology workspace. 

And finally, Dev to work with Regional Affairs Manager to send a note on selected information dissemination, communication, and collaboration tools such as [inaudible 05:38], Twitter twipes, mobile device compatibility etcetera to the RALOs.  Any comments on these action items?  I gather many of them are in progress.  So yes, Cheryl, your hand is up.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you Olivier and I hope I’m clear including to Tijani.  If we can have confirmation at that before we take it to the next step.

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Cheryl, you are active if you want to be incorporated.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              You’re also very quiet for me, but that’s neither here nor there I guess, as long as everyone else can hear you.  Okay, it appears that people can hear me.  Thank you very much for standing in for the bridge, Olivier.  I find the technology frustrating, to say the least.  However, apart from anything else, there are challenges that we need to meet and one of them is that with people not always on the call, it was discussed at the very first meeting that what we would do is not take a decision on any single call without having it affirmed at a following call. 

So the couple of matters that Olivier covered up on that we sought confirmation on this call were indeed things that were agreed at the last call, but it’s appropriate that people can either think them over or contribute to the discussion if they weren’t at the last call, in the intervening time between calls.  And what we will do now is either treat them separately or as a group.  You can decide which way you want to do that. 

They really are all fairly pro forma-type decisions as far as I can tell, because of the fact that they’re all to do with recommendation 3 and things that were coming out of that work team anyway.  So, if it’s your will group, we’ll deal with ascerning all of those outcomes from our last week’s discussion in one grouping.  Is that what we’d like to do?  Or do you want to do them separately, one by one?  Okay, if anyone objects to doing them as a group, please indicate with an ‘X’ if you are in the Adobe room or make yourself known on the call. 

Natalie, you have to do it by group for you, thank you.  I see that in the chat.  Okay nobody seems to be objecting to doing it in the group so I’ll just call for anyone who objects or wishes to reopen discussion on the matters that we’re agreed to last week, please make it known now by either raising your hand, putting an ‘x’ in the adobe chat room or letting us know on the call.  I’ll give a few moments so we can hear from any language channels connected.  Hearing yes, go ahead Olivier.

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         Thank you very much Cheryl.  I just wanted a quick explanation of what affirmation number one was, because I can understand number two, but I am a bit confused as to what that sentence means.  ‘Euro’s suggestion not to establish the working group that will ensure all At-Large information already available is organized properly until after the completion of the ICANN website revamp to be affirmed formally during the next call.’  Effectively Euro was suggesting that the working group should only be, the working group for making At-Large information available should only be done after the ICANN website?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Let’s make it very clear.  The recommendation and obviously we’ll need to adjust that in file mode, because if it’s not clear to you it may not be clear to others either.  Euro suggested that as the recommendation from the work team and be implementable to the things presented to us, should form a work group.  The formation of a work group to do a review on the usability and methods is inappropriate, while the review of the ICANN website and indeed the work that is already underway as a result of our DECAR meeting and ICANN At-Large staff.  Their point in forming a new group to do what we have already tasked other people to do is being done by the ICANN staff anyway.

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         Okay, that makes more sense.  The double negative doesn’t work, that’s why.  Thanks.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Okay, we’ll get rid of the double negative and make sure everybody knows what we agreed to last week on the call.  Then we can go back now; is there anyone else who wants to discuss any of the other items or pull them out?  Okay, what we’re doing is basically suggesting a succinct agenda.  So if we’re all in agreement, all of these matters that were listed in the action items, that were discussed and agreed on in last week’s call, are now going out to you all as a ‘consent agenda’, that’s the formal term. 

If no one objects to that consent agenda, then they are taken as affirmed.  So if anyone wishes to object to them now or call them out for discussion as Olivier just did, please indicate.  I see no one in the Adobe room.  Anyone in any of the language channels?  I think we only have Spanish.  Nobody’s making themselves known in which case we can accept that consent agenda and all of those things are affirmed from last week.  And Gisella, the agenda is not being screened.  The agenda is in a Wiki space.  We can perhaps put the agenda up if we want to close one of the pods down or make a slightly smaller space. 

What we are now, and we need to get Tijani back on the line, thank you, what we are now doing in terms of the viewing on the screen is in fact the wrong parts, but nevertheless the documents that we will be looking at when we go back into the worker’s stay call, assuming that we ever get to the worker’s stay call.  Okay, so that’s done.  Thank you very much.  And we can now make those changes to those parts of recommendation three that were modified by this task force. 

Alright moving now, as we’ve noted, the next thing in the agenda, and it’s probably not too important you have it up in front of you.  These agendas are very light agendas.  There will be a summary minutes review opportunity.  There will be an action items and some consent agenda that we may wish to agree with in any other meeting, and then we will be moving on to the next part of our review and discussion tasks. 

For today’s meeting that will be Recommendation 4.  So if we can have Recommendation 4 brought to the screen, whoever is busy.  There we go.  Recommendation 4 for the record is actually a very big one and we may indeed take a couple of meetings to go through this.  So, in your screen, please stop scrolling.  I’ll just wait until the room settles down.  Everyone can stop scrolling.  Thank you.  And we will now and look and read the record what the primary part of the recommendation is. 

Recommendation 4 is all about education and engaging the At-Large structures.  It should be an immediate priority; this is what the external reviewers and the Board review team agreed to and that the Board accepted.  Education and engagement of ALSs should be an immediate priority, but their compliance should be a longer-term goal.  Work Team B worked on this and they had come up with a relatively large number of particular recommendations and the implementable is what we’re going to be discussing and allocating their spaces and we will be heading to next in today’s call and probably in at least one other call after this. 

This first look at recommendation, which is one of the easy gains 4.1, 4.1.1 and through to 4.1.4 and 4.6; that’s the first of the cells in your screen.  And it’s ‘establish the ICANN Academy, an annual training program for new At-Large ALS members, modeled after ethics of the ICANN fellowship, in particular, foundation.’  We don’t need to justify this.  It’s been discussed at length, and in fact it’s one of those easy wins. 

Not only is it being progressed, I believe it’s now officially underway.  Can I ask, either Olivier or Heidi just to report to this work team where we are on the ICANN Academy?

Heidi Ulrich:                           Go ahead, Olivier.  Well I put the link into the Adobe Connect.  This is Heidi.

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         Thank you very much Heidi.  It’s Olivier for the transcript.  It takes me a little while to unmute.  That’s why you’re faster on the trigger than I am.  The ICANN Academy has had its task force, not a task force, an ad hoc working group created and this has actually had its first call taking place last week and is now progressing taking the original project proposal, which was drafted over the summer, was passed on to Feliz Diomaz who is the person dealing with these matters in ICANN staff. 

Feliz has passed it on to several of her colleagues in the ICANN substructure and the first draft proposal was received actually quite well and quite positively by everyone.  In fact, rather than just starting as an ICANN Academy for At-Large members, there are now talks to extend it to Board members and also people for other constituencies in ICANN.  So that project is actually moving, I’m not saying it’s moving forward yet, but certainly work is taking place in a separate working group. 

And if anyone on the call here is interested in pursuing and working more on the ICANN Academy, I would say and invite them to join the working group as well.  And I think that several people who are on this call are already in the ICANN Academy ad hoc working group as well.  I’m not sure if that’s the whole thing, but it’s actually moving forward at the moment, so that’s all I can say for the time being.  Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you Olivier.  At this point, I would suggest…have we got Tijani back, because I haven’t heard?

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Yes, I’m here.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Excellent Tijani.  I was hoping you would come back.  It would be good if someone could get rid of that beeping. Thank you.  So, the point on very first cell in Recommendation 4, where the proposal was the establishment of an ICANN Academy, that seems to have confirmed its completed status.  Remember we can say in the recommendations from the Work Team B that the academy had to be up and running and completed, but I think it’s as far as this task force needs to push it. 

We might need to however open it up for discussion, so my proposal is this is marked as a completed action item and we’re now reporting in fact just links to the new activities at both presumably the work team that is, in fact, they’re called not an advisory group, there’s another terminology for them.  Curriculum committee, there we are, is working with ICANN staff at the moment already.  So I’m suggesting we move this item to completed status and the links from our documentation now simply go out to the new spaces that are dedicated to this and that that would be ongoing. 

But, now open to discussion, so the floor is yours whoever wishes to raise your hand and take it further.  Sala is agreeing in chat.   Sala is just confirming that she is a member, in fact, not only a member, I believe you’re an important part of the curriculum committee, Sala.  We wanted to make sure that Tijani and a specific region was also in that management group.  And we’ve dropped Natalia from the call.  It would appear that is impossible to have all five regions on the call at once.  But we will keep juggling and having four out of five at any given time. 

Unless anyone objects, I would suggest that that particular cell is now marked as completed and that we move on to the next one.  The next one is establishment, and I assume it should be establishment ‘of’, an engagement program for existing At-Large ALS members to be conducted year-round and modeled after certain aspects of what Diplo foundations do.  

Specifically this would be the At-Large capacity building program or along similar lines to what we saw in the At-Large capacity building program that was run very successfully in Dakar by the AFRALO.  The funding note there is very important as anyone from the Latin American or Caribbean region will note.  It is a request in these recommendations that it be funded for the 2012 financial year. 

It wasn’t specifically funded and we recognize the generosity of the three regions who did receive partial funding to approve their funds from the FY ’12 year to allow the AFRALO capacity building program in Dakar to go ahead.  This really needs to be not only, I think, reported on the success of the capacity building program and the return on investments information that I know that At-Large advisory committee is generating, should be linked to our documentation. 

But I would like to open the floor now to discuss how we reached this status.  It’s one of those that will probably never be fully completed until we have assurances of ongoing funding.  But Olivier, seeing as it’s your budget that would be affected by this recommendation, I think this task force should take your guidance on how you think we should proceed with this particular item.  Giving him some time to unmute.

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         Thank you very much Cheryl.  Yes, it does indeed.  Well, this is an interesting one because the engagement program is something which we have seen has worked extremely well in Dakar.  I’ve had, and I’m sure a number of us, including Tijani and well everyone who was involved, got a lot of positive feedback from people who went to Dakar.  The response from the ALSs was, “Wow.  Finally we actually understand what’s going on at ICANN.  Finally we understand what the discussions are about. 

Finally we understand the actual subjects being discussed.”  So there’s no question, a year-round capacity building program is something that would be of great positivity for At-Large, but not only for At-Large, but also for ICANN.  It would be extremely beneficial.  The problem, of course, is the one of budget, being able to fly so many people to one location and accommodate them in the hotel. 

For this, we have to every year submit budget requests, which go in addition to our usual year-round year budget that we receive.  So, originally, and I mean this is taking from the At-Large improvements, we are supposed to get somehow or to aim for a capacity building program that would include not only the courses which we saw in Dakar, but also would include a general assembly, basically bunching a whole number of events together.  So far, we’ve had one instance of this taking place recently. 

Prior to that, the previous instance of being able to bring At-Large structures together was the summit in Mexico City.  Currently the last events we’ve had were in Dakar and we managed to get all the African ALSs together.  It would be great if we could get something in Latin America, something in North America, something in Europe, and in Asia Pacific.  Unfortunately, at the moment, we’ve had to have three regions pool their funds together so as to be able to have one event taking place. 

We’re hoping that we would have two next year or even three next year and two in the year after.  However, there is also, at the moment, a process by which I’m trying, and this is just one thing that’s going on simultaneously with everything else, I am trying to pass on a request from Latin America from LACRALO, so Latin America and Caribbean, to stage some events and some capacity building program in Costa Rica. 

It’s an ongoing request at the moment.  It has not been transmitted to finance because there are a number of things that need to be included in the request, such as the return on investments, and I’m using this as a in quotes, because how can you have a full return on investment per delegate, when one looks at capacity building?  It’s something that you find out in the long-term.  So I’m trying to put a file together and hopefully by the end of the week, we will be able to ask for an additional amount of funds in order to be able to run some event in Costa Rica. 

That’s all I can say for the time being.  So yes, of course, on the At-Large improvements it says ‘The intent of this program is to start in financial year 2012.’  I think the capacity building program is somehow linked with general assembly’s with the whole set of things we are trying to stage simultaneously during an ICANN meeting.  And it is very important that we make sure the ICANN leadership, both on the staff side but also on the Board side, understand the importance of this capacity building. 

In fact, recently, you might have all seen the hearings that took place on the senate, the US senate, and we can see that some of the criticism that ICANN is going through is that there is very little capacity building going on out there.  So I think maybe we can play on that and try and affirm the fact that an At-Large capacity building program should be at the heart of ICANN’s concerns.  Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you Olivier and I suspect if we had our video cameras on our phones or our laptops and computers running, there would be many of us standing and applauding at that last line in particular.  It would be globally applicable for lowercase At-Large as well as what our particular task force is looking at, which is of course the uppercase At-Large, in other words, those members of At-Large structures as certified by ICANN or individual members of RALOS, but yes.  To some extent, with the ICANN Academy where the recognition has been seen that the wider ICANN community would benefit by the ongoing influence of education and outreach programs. 

Sala, I’m going to ask you to speak to what I think you think is important and that is some of the sustainability and other options, noting that our particular task force really wants to establish what could be seen as our first one or pilot.  That part of it could be in fact be marked as completed, but to see this tribe of activity as ongoing and sustainable and indeed continue to where Olivier just ended his introduction to it. 

And that is where if you say an ongoing thing, normally budget is in the ICANN world because it benefits not only ICANN but the internet ecosystem community.  You raise some very important points and if you’d like to speak to the institute training opportunities, this may be a way where we can move this from an ongoing status to an eventually completed one.  Over to you Sala.

Sala Tamanikaiwaimaro          That you Cheryl.  Salanieta [inaudible, 31:52] a.k.a. Sala, for the record.  Something I advocate is the use of the internet in terms of building capacity globally to ensure that there’s meaning to participation.  Understandably there’s volumes and volumes of information, but with all the technical expertise that’s available within ICANN and that’s available within the At-Large community, I believe we’re well positioned and strategically positioned in that sense to come up with some sort of mechanism where we can sort of build capacity using remote participation. 

Not so much remote participation into meetings but in terms into the e-learning aspects of ICANN.  And I supposed in a sense, it may be tied to supporting one to actually peg to get the new one in a sense, but I think what you’ll find that’s unique with the remote participation is that it allows people to learn at a much faster and accelerated pace. 

If we could have mechanisms like hyper texting with questions and focus on the platform and that sort of thing, it could be something that we could build into the minimum budget, but we’d find that the returnings are far more sustainable.  You’d also see maybe a lot of activities happening on Wikis or on Wikis, because people actually understand what’s going on and that sort of thing.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you Sala.  I’d like to recognize Tijani, and then after Tijani speaks to this matter, open the floor for further discussion.  So Sala, you may need to respond to some questions.  Tijani, go ahead please.

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Yes, do you hear me Cheryl?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              We do, thank you.

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Okay, thank you.  I would like to tell you that the first experience of meeting in Dakar gave us a lot of lessons.  We learned a lot.  The capability program was successful, that’s right, but we can do better and much better.  I think that when you want to bring people to give them these programs, we need to prepare them before.  And I think that online capacity building would be a nice activity to acclimate before these programs, to present the material on this.  And when we have completed it, I think that after that, we need also a follow-up, a video follow-up, through online message and also through [inaudible 35:25]. 

It will be a very very good result if we try to prepare the activities and then we try to follow up with them after the activity.  I think I will propose this to the activity working group because I think that that idea should not be accomplished on one mode of the invitation.  It should concentrate on several modes.  And one of the modes are the virtual and the online models.  Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you Tijani.  I think it’s interesting that as you were talking about the advantages of what pre-preparation would be, that fits in very much with some of what Sala was suggesting, that remote e-learning models can act as a precursor training, a preparatory tool, and of course our ideal for the follow-up, as you indicated is so essential for this, but in all of the models I am aware of, and these are various academic models, not just the Diplo model that we have outlined in the task force recommendations that we need to work with, but those in mainline mainstream academia, always have a very essential face to face component. 

So we’re not losing the benefit of face to face, but we’re tailoring in those types of calls, is what we’ve done.  And that tends to give, I guess, the return on investment Olivier was referring to earlier.  Can we open this for further discussion?  And Olivier, if I may, while you have your hand up and are unmuting yourself, I actually need to just leave this room very briefly because I’m getting a runny nose and you don’t want to hear me.  So I’m just going to leave the room and I’ll be back momentarily. 

I’ll hand the chair over to you, Olivier.  You can continue the conversation on this for the next few minutes and perhaps look towards whether or not we should see this particular outline implementable as fairly much completed, but a subset development recommended as an ongoing action.  Over to you Olivier, thank you.

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         Thank you very much Cheryl.  I gather that whilst you deal with your runny nose, you will be able to listen simultaneously.  Okay, well I had a question actually and this is a question for everyone, not just for you.  With regards to these two separate recommendations we have here, so we’ve got the ICANN Academy on one side and we’ve got the At-Large capacity building program on the other side, do people here feel that the two are somehow linked?  Or do they feel that these two have to be kept separate?

Euro:                                       Euro coming in.

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         Yes, Euro, please go ahead.

Euro:                                       Yeah, I think that they, to my mind they are linked, but at the same time I think that we have to somehow distinguish between them.  That is, what is the academy going to do and then what is the role, in addition to that, what is the role of this other thing?  The other thing I wanted to ask you while I have the floor, do you think that it would be realistic to think of something in Prague, that is to say for the European region, along the lines of what happened in Dakar and what is now being planned for Costa Rica.  Or is that just too much?

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         Thank you Euro.  Well, responding to your question, the Prague meeting will take place during the financial year ’12, FY ’12.  Only the Toronto meeting will be financial year ’13.  So theoretically, because the funds for the AFRALO program were pooled together, it’s quite unlikely.  And I’m saying ‘quite’ because you never know; there could be miracles.  But it is quite unlikely that there will be any funding of events in Prague. 

Now that said though, in Europe we have had a number of general assembly’s or many general assembly’s taking place during the time when Euro day was taking place, and so it might be that a subset of At-Large structures in Europe will be able to meet in Prague.  That’s primarily due to the location, the geographic location of Prague, not being so far away from most European countries. 

But this is something which I think we can talk about outside this call later.  But to answer you quite clearly, it doesn’t look likely that anything will be funded in Prague yet.

Euro:                                       Okay, thank you.

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         Thank you Euro.  And so I note from what you mentioned, the ICANN Academy and the capacity building program are both somehow linked, but you believe that they should be kept separate.  Anyone else who wishes to comment on this?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              If I could have Darlene, and then perhaps Tijani and Sala in that order.

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         And that was Cheryl speaking.  So, Darlene, Sala, and then Tijani, and I’ll hand it back to you Cheryl, since I gather you have finished what you had to do.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you for saving me.

Darlene Thompson:                Hi, I’m sorry, I did type my question into the chat there.  I guess my question is, who are the audiences for these two items?  I had thought that the ICANN Academy was for ALAC members, but no training program for new At-Large members, so maybe I’m wrong with that one.  I had thought that the academy was for ALAC members and that the ALS year-round education was a separate thing.  But I actually think that it would be good to combine them myself, because training could be used for anybody and the Diplo foundation basis for this is excellent.  I’m actually taking some courses through Diplo and they have an excellent model, if I may say that.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you Darlene.  I certainly agree with you on that.  Perhaps we can now move to Sala and then Tijani and then come back for wrap ups and agreements on where we might want to head.  Go ahead Sala.

Sala Tamanikaiwaimaro:         Thank you, Sala for the record.  One of the reasons why, I suppose I’m okay with combining the two or separating them, but I think that they’re distinct in a sense that the year-round e-learning or remote training mechanisms would be something that’s available for all, and I think that once it’s up and running, initially it may have newbies and this wanting to try it out, but I think once it gains momentum, you find that there will be people who are seasoned in certain areas who want to do it maybe because they’re lacking in certain areas and they want to strengthen the understanding in particular areas. 

I think one of the reasons why I’m easy with whatever decision you eventually make in terms of separating it or fusing it; one of the reasons why I think it should be kept separate however is the year-round training.  When I think in my mind, it’s sort of something that’s ongoing.  For example, one season finishes and you have a second season and then you have people joining at different times, if they can actually do it and do it at different times and that sort of thing.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you Sala.  I now have Tijani, Natalia, and Olivier and at that point, we will be leaving, I think, the call.  If you could indulge in your timing to be as brief as possible, each of those speakers, and I’m sure that the task force will also just not mind too much being on the call, perhaps a few minutes past the hour, because we did have some technical difficulties at the beginning of our call.  Go ahead Tijani. 

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Thank you Cheryl.  As for the question of whether to merge or mix them together or separate them, I don’t see the capacity building for At-Large outside that [inaudible 45:55]  I think that will the general framework of any education of the program in ICANN.  It cannot be an At-Large tool; it can be an ICANN tool.  But if we include all the At-Large capacity to [inaudible 46:22].  Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you very much Tijani.  Natalia, go ahead please.

Natalia Peregrine:                    Hello, this is Natalia.  I wanted to share my experience with you.  I have enrolled in online courses on Diplo and UTA.  They have online forum and hyper text and at the end of the training, the best students are selected for a face to face training program.  It’s a one week program.  I believe we can adopt this model.  We may have an online training course, then select the best students, and then on the occasion of the ICANN meetings, they can attend the face to face part of the training.  Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you Natalia.  Over to you Olivier.

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond:         Thank you very much Cheryl.  It’s Olivier for the transcript.  I understand from the discussions we just had that the ICANN Academy and the At-Large capacity building program are two separate things.  So my suggestion or question, following a question with another question, was whether the same team building the curriculum for the ICANN Academy could be used to build the At-Large capacity building program, bearing in mind that the At-Large capacity building program has already had a first draft put together by AFRALO when they built their At-Large capacity building program.  Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thank you Oliver and I think what might happen is that will be a hanging question that will be ruminated over in the coming weeks and I trust discussed on a comment and reply comment using the link to the comment section for Recommendation 4.  What I’ll ask staff to do as an action item is when the transcript or notes from this part of this call are available, that they be put into that page; the link I’ve just put into the chat for everyone to reference. 

And that then the task force members that are present on the call and those not able to join, can spend some time between now and our next call, which we’ll get to in a moment under our final bits of this agenda, discussing it on the Wiki.  Because it seems to me like we have some choices here about what we recommend and what we might suggest.  It all seems worthy, but it’s going to take us outside of our particular agreement and comes back to other particular work groups or standing committees that are either ALAC or ICANN based. 

So with that, let’s draw a line under the conversation in Recommendation 4 at this 4.2 through to 4.6 section.  The good news is, part of it has been completed.  We did get funding, managed to be cobbled together.  We did do a pilot in Dakar.  It was successful.  We know there are other issues, but there are several ways to perhaps approach them.  So let’s get a conversation going on the Wiki in the following week.  Let’s now just have a moment to talk about the next meeting. 

It was an action item from previous meetings to put another Doodle together to see whether or not there is a better time, a preferred time, or an alternating time, now that’s not an alternate, it’s an alternating time, so two times, which we would rotate one week one time, one week the other.  We have not changed our mind from weekly calls at this stage.  We did hear that a number of the Latin American and Caribbean observers would prefer to have a 14 or 15 day call interval. 

That’s all very nice, but the work of this task force is a fairly large amount and I agree with Darlene, the regional suggestion that we need to meet weekly until we’re well ahead of the game.  So let’s get that Doodle done.  I just want to make it clear that the Doodle will be tailored to meet the needs of the task force members.  It’s not our intention to meet the needs of all the observers.  The observers can of course stay engaged when they are available with the calls.  The calls are recorded and the call notes are in fact transcribed and those transcriptions can be entered. 

Therefore, with that, all expect the Doodle to be coming out shortly and we will confirm the actual time of our next meeting after that Doodle’s being looked at.  So the sooner you do the Doodle, the better.  We have intersectional work to do on the Wiki page and we look forward to…oh dear, to furthering our conversation on the next call.  Okay, thank you one and all.  See you on the Wiki.  Bye for now.

Everyone:                                Bye, thank you, bye bye.  Goodbye and thank you all.

-End of Recorded Material-

• No labels