• No labels

7 Comments

1. this looks good to me...

2. This looks really good.  Certainly consumer groups need some kind of simple explanation such as this.

Gareth Shearman

3. The document and specially the definitions are excellent even though in the definitions section the GNSO structure is repeated almost everywhere. Also, I noticed that the ASO is not included and it should be included since it is one of the SO's.

I suggest to change the following sentence located in the ALAC definition: However, it selecteda member of the ICANN Board in November 2010.” to this: “However, it selects a member of the ICANN Board which has a vote at that level.”

The word “Domainer” should be colored RED as the others in that section.

Great work!

-ed

4. Anonymous

My hope is to comment on this document. But i'd like to do so under my name and I've not been able to locate my sign in info. Requested link for creating a new account and am aaiting guidance on same.

Tom Lowenhaupt

5. Anonymous

jefferson-citizen-vs-subject.jpgSubject ~ Citizen ~ Consumer ~ Netizen

At the recent Freedom To Connect conference, author Barry C. Lynn spoke about a transition of residents of what’s now the United States of America from “subjects” to “citizens.” The graphic at right from the draft of the Declaration of Independence, shows the hand of Thomas Jefferson changing the description of the residents of the 13 British colonies from being “subjects” to “citizens.” (Hyperspectral imaging by the Library of Congress enabled the discovery in 2010.)

That change in viewpoint had a huge impact on residents’ view of their role and responsibilities in society. For example, the “subject” exists under government and petitions power, the citizen grants the use of power to government. According to Lynn, “The subject passively consumes, the citizen produces goods, and ideas, and work.” There seems to be relevance here in our bottom-up culture and the use of the term consumer in concert with the At-Large representative structure.

As to the origins of "consumer" descriptive...

In the later part of the 20th century another change in attitude occurred when citizens became “consumers.” Lynn placed the origin of this shift with an agreement by the hard right and hard left to change government’s role from protecting markets to protecting the consumer. The significance of this change is becoming increasingly apparent as the Net and IT eases consolidation and fosters efficiency across broad areas. Lynn posited that this change will foster bigger scale and that the drive for efficiency has historically led to autocratic rule. He used as examples the efficiency Rockefeller heralded to defend his oil monopoly, and Stalin’s defense of his monstrous reign on the basis of the need for efficiency. (See Barry Lynn’s 30 minute talk.)

Which leads me to wonder if the At Large's role is to facilitate efficiencies of communication between consumer and producer or to facilitate a path to enable netizens to govern the Internet. If its role is the latter, significant changes need to be made in this brochure.

Thomas Lowenhaupt

Jackson Heights, NYC

6. Really good document.  One small observation re the verbiage for WHOIS in the Acronym list. I think the text should say ....."access and use of data...." 

7. Apart from edits good and useful doc...