When: Wednesday, 6 February 2013. GMT Standard Time. 19:00 UTC / This is a 120 Minute Call.

11:00 PST, 14:00 EST, 19:00 London, 20:00 CET

Adobe Connect Link:  http://icann.adobeconnect.com/r1onj8cflqp/

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-igo-ingo-20130206-en.mp3

On page: http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#feb

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Donna Austin - AusRegistry
Iliya Bazlyankov – RrSG
Jim Bikoff – IPC/IOC
Avri Doria – NCSG
Chuck Gomes - RySG
Alan Greenberg - ALAC
Catherine Gribbin - Red Cross
Robin Gross - NCSG
Stephane Hankins - NCSG
David Heasley - IPC/IOC
Wolfgang Kleinwaechter - NCSG
Evan Lebovitch - ALAC
David Maher - RySG
Kiran Malancharuvil - IPC/IOC
Osvaldo Novoa - Red Cross
Christopher Rassi - Red Cross
Thomas Rickert – NCA –Working group chair Greg Shatan - IPC Claudia MacMaster Tamarit - ISO Mary Wong - NCUC

Apologies:
Alain Berranger - NPOC
Mason Cole - GNSO Council vice chair - RrSG Osvaldo Novoa - ISPCP Cintra Sooknanan - NPOC

ICANN Staff:
Brian Peck
Berry Cobb
Julia Charvolen

Proposed Agenda – IGO-INGO WG Meeting – 6 FEB 2013 @ 19:00 UTC (120 Min):
1. Roll Call / SOI Update
2. Status of General Council Request
3. Discussion of Options to move forward
4. Review IGO-INGO Work Plan (Beijing)
5. Next steps & confirm next meeting

Action Items
1. None

Adobe Connect Chat Transcript:

Adobe Chat transcript  for 06 February 2013:

Berry Cobb:Welcome to the 6 FEB 2013 IGO-INGO Conference call.

Kiran Malancharuvil:Hi Julia, David Heasley and myself are on the call along with Jim Bikoff

Julia Charvolen:Thank you Kiran, I will note that

Kiran Malancharuvil:Thanks Julia!

Julia Charvolen:Wilson Abigaba has joined the meeting

Julia Charvolen:Robin Gross joined the meeting

Evan Leibovitch:i'm muted

Julia Charvolen:To mute your microphones *6

Kiran Malancharuvil:To clarify Alan, you are stating that if the Board accepts GAC advice on this issue, then the GNSO should not object?

Kiran Malancharuvil:on the legal issue...

Alan Greenberg:No, that is not what I said or meant. If thre is de facto evidence that it is illegal to either allocate the names, or request by names by registrants, then is is a matter of ICANN obeying the law. Which is, to some extent what the GAC has implied. BUt I do not bleeive that is the case. The existance of multiple uses of the names we are looking at without any apparent challenge implies that the existing international instruments and national laws do not prohibit such use.

Kiran Malancharuvil:Thanks for the clarification Alan.

Kiran Malancharuvil:The existence of unauthorized use of names without challenge may, in fact, indicate that an organization doesn't have the resources to "go after" every cybersquatter.

Kiran Malancharuvil:I wouldn't jump to conclusions regarding those situations

Evan Leibovitch:The ALAC position is simply to request evidence of harm rather than the simple assertion oif it

Evan Leibovitch:The unwillingness to provide evidence can easily be construed as the absense of evidence -- or that, conversely, the existing evidence argues against protection

Evan Leibovitch:Iḿ still waiting to see details of the UDRP filed against the paint company running "olympic.com". If that MOST OBVIOUS non-IOC use has either lost a challenge, or not even been challenged at all, that speaks volumes about the "need" (let alone legality) for extra protection.

Kiran Malancharuvil:We have all evidence of harm on the wiki

Kiran Malancharuvil:what are we "unwilling" to show?

Evan Leibovitch:real harm to the IOC happening as the result of the existence of domains such as "olympic.com".

Evan Leibovitch:Ie, diversion of money, consumer confusion, etc.

Evan Leibovitch:I'm not saying no harm is possible. But the IGOs are asking for an extremely blunt instrument, so the standards need to be very high

Evan Leibovitch:+1 Greg

Evan Leibovitch:Chuck,'s voice is very faint to me

Greg Shatan:I've got Chuck loud and clear....

Avri Doria:I heard Chuck load and clear, but at a low volume.

Avri Doria:loud and clear

Kiran Malancharuvil:Evan, information about Olympic Paint can be found in our past communications, located on the wiki

Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):agree with Alan

Mary Wong:+1, Alan

Evan Leibovitch:Thanks, Greg. "Blocking:" was certainly what I meant by blunt instrument. That's not the only remedy.

Evan Leibovitch:+1 Alan

Evan Leibovitch:Chuck: It's not a strong objection, but I think "harm" has a role in criteria

Avri Doria:I would not mind working ahaead in parallel, but think harm still needs to shown and we should not wait until the end and just presume harm.

Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Good point Alan.

Evan Leibovitch:Again, +1 Alan

Avri Doria:tradmarks are claiming potential harm, so it remains an issue even then.

Mary Wong:Agree with Chuck.

Chuck Gomes:@ Greg:  Agree

Thomas Rickert:name, acronym or designation by virtue of an international treatyorganization mandated to work in the global public interest

Thomas Rickert:alternative proposal: Protection of a name or an organization by virtue of an international treaty AND protection in multiple jurisdictions.

Kiran Malancharuvil:We need to review this in more depth.  We will comment on the  list.

Avri Doria:i guess i am not shy either, just what needs to be said, has been said.

Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Agree with Alan

Alan Greenberg:Claudia, we need to stop agreeing. People will start talking!  :-)

Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Sense is sense, as you might say.  :)

Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Greg +1

Kiran Malancharuvil:similarly to what was recommended on the top level, we don't think it's appropriate for the organization's to grant exceptions itself

Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Agree that exemptions may be very important for legitimate uses.

Kiran Malancharuvil:Although we never enforce against those with legitimate rights (e.g., Olympic Paint), it would appear unseemly to rely on the organization itself to grant exceptions.  It could give rise to these hypothetical licensing schemes that Dr. Mueller seems concerned about.

Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Interesting idea Chuck.

Chuck Gomes:Thanks Thomas for the time you spent in preparing the subgroup summaries; I believe that really was helpful in our call today.

Kiran Malancharuvil:+1 Chuck, great job Thomas

Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Thank you Thomas!

Mary Wong:Thanks, Thomas and everyone! On to the GNSO SCI call ... :)

• No labels