The next GNSO Standing Selection Committee teleconference will take place on Wednesday, 06 September 2017 at 18:00 UTC for 60 minutes.
11:00 PDT, 14:00 EDT, 19:00 London, 20:00 CET
For other times: http://tinyurl.com/ybesy9pn
- Agenda review and SOI updates
- Discussion of ATRT3 candidates (see https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-87RXWCMK8/[surveymonkey.com] and see attached)
- GAC Liaison selection
- upcoming Council deadlines and next SSC meeting
Attendees: Maxim Alzoba, Julf Helsingius, Susan Kawaguchi, Osvaldo Novoa, Lori Schulman, Renata Aquino Ribiero
Apologies: Rafik Dammak, Frederic Guillemaut, Poncelet Ileleji
ICANN staff: Marika Konings, Emily Barabas, Michelle DeSmyter
Notes/ Action Items
1. Agenda review and SOI updates
- Julf has joined as an individual member to NCUC
- Renata is now the mentor of the Global Indigenous Program - ALAC program
2. Discussion of ATRT3 candidates (see https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-87RXWCMK8/[surveymonkey.com]
- Q3: Sufficient knowledge and experience
- Q4: Necessary skills, expertise, and attributes
- Q5: Rank by skills and experience
- Q6: Rank by desired attributes
- SSC can select three primary candidates and up to seven candidates in total, but it is not required to recommend seven.
- Several members supported sending seven candidates.
- Different opinions expressed about the relative importance of qualifications and diversity considerations.
- Question: can we recommend 4 primary candidates? Answer: The RDS-RT was a special case. It would
be very difficult for the GNSO to get a fourth through as a primary candidate. It it advisable to focus on the top three and
considerations the SSC wants to focus on for these top three.
- General agreement to pick the top 7, and then rank within that 7.
- From the SSC Charter: The SSC shall strive as far as possible to achieve balance, representativeness, diversity
and sufficient expertise appropriate for the applicable selection process. In order to achieve balance and diversity
on the Review Teams, the SSC is strongly encouraged to employ a system of rotation
to Review Team selections. Any Stakeholder Group which nominated candidates(s) for a Review Team but did not have
a candidate selected for that Review Team shall be preferred as a qualified applicant from their Stakeholder Group for
one of the three guaranteed slots for the next GNSO Review Team appointment processes.
- From previously selection processes, RySG is the least represented (0 candidates). Other groups have 1-2 candidates selected.
- Proposal: confirm by email that the group follows the rankings per the poll. General support expressed for this proposal.
- Consider expressing concern about diversity and recommend measures to encourage gender diversity, but do not ask for
guaranteed fourth seat.
Note that of nine applicants, only three were female.
- Deadline for the motion is 10 September. We may need to submit a placeholder motion.
- GAC Liaison selection
-- Deadline for application submission is 8 September
-- No applications submitted so far
-- Applications are expected to be published unless candidates express that they don't want this information published.
-- Announcements and reminders were sent through SG/C leadership.
-- All applications will be submitted through SG/Cs, SG/Cs can put forward anyone they want to support.
There is no requirement for afiliation in the call for volunteers.
-- upcoming Council deadlines and next SSC meeting
- Upcoming call
-- Tentatively schedule meetings for next week and the following week in case additional discussion is
needed for ATRT3 before the discussion begins on the GAC Liaison selection. Include Standard Process
document in the agenda for the next call.
ACTION ITEM: Staff will circulate a Doodle Poll for next week.
ACTION ITEM: Leadership team will send a follow up with proposed ranking of ATRT3 candidates for further discussion by email.