EURALO

Summary Minutes and Action Items

Tuesday 18 December 2012 at 1900 UTC

Minutes

Roll Call - Staff

2. Review of the Action Items from the 20 November

Two weeks ago we posted the document drafted by Yrjö. I have incorporated the two comments I have received (Manuel and Roberto) and forwarded the draft to At-Large Staff. Draft letter from our side has been submitted to the ALAC for further consideration, comments and approval.

2 AIS:

Accomplished.

Heidi mentioned she would contact an EURALO ALS, and she contacted

Breda Kutin at the Slovene Consumers Association, and she may come to the Lisbon GA.

Briefing on current ALAC consultations and initiatives

1. Heidi read out the PCs.

OCL: Thanked all the people who held the pen on all of these statements.

c. Currently Open Public Comments

ALAC Demarche to ICANN.

Wolf asked OCL if there is anything he would like to emphasize.

Thanked EURALO for the excellent statement on the issue of VISAS, which is an important issue.

Wolf mentioned that it is a success that ALAC submitted more statements again – this year we will exceed 50 statements. This is an impressive result.

OCL: The quality of the statements are very good, I have received positive feedback from many constituencies in ICANN, with praise for the usefulness of the statement.

Briefing from the WCIT in Dubai - OCL

Prior to this meeting, Wolf circulated an article by Wolfgang Kleinwachter

OCL: The meeting was a very tense meeting. Few actors were telecom companies, and sector members had very little to say in ITU. This is a government thing. I was in the UK delegation. Overall we have managed to work on articles. One article called for naming and addresses to be taken over by government, thankfully it was taken off. But some articles related to content remained. The US and others decided not to sign on the treaty, some may decide to sign with reservations. Some articles were related to spam, to security, etc.

We had Nigel present locally and he was of great help, several people from RALO’s were present (Wolfgang, Bill, Avri) and this was a good back channel.

Some countries were of the view to have the internet undertaken by the regulations.

The internet community as a whole was able to coordinate to make sure that the internet remains as it is. I will write a full report to the ICANN Board on some issues which I have learned for example capacity building.

There is a huge amount of work for ALAC and At Large to get governments to understand what the multi stakeholder model is. I hope that it will convince ICANN to get funding to do outreach. The world is divided into western governments and developing countries which in some instances have been very hostile to the multi stake holder model.

55 countries have not signed but others signed. The only thing is that they are binding to a great extent.  It is up to the member countries who ratify them to define to what an extend they are binding or not. Some countries signed and reserved the right not to be bound.  It is 2 years until the ITRs come into effect and until then there will be the ITU Plenipotentiary and time will tell.

5. Update on the ICANN Academy follow-up and Survey (5 min. / Sandra)

The survey- the deadline was prolonged until the middle of January.

In Toronto we drafted a survey which was sent out by the middle of Nov.

We decided we needed more feedback from stakeholders. I urge all the RALO and EURALO members to participate in the survery. It takes no more than 5 minutes, it looks at activities in Europe. It would be very good to have more people participating. We will have Denise Michel as new staff member supporting the Academy.

Sandra mentioned if you submit your form please indicate that you are from EURALO.

6.  EURALO planning 2013 -- draft master plan and discussion (20 min. / Wolf and all)

We have a first draft of a Master Plan and I asked participants at our last call  to have a look at the plan. We have preliminary budget estimation, this is a consolidated version. It gives us a rough idea on the particular estimations in Euro and dollars.  The ICANN constituency travel has a much higher estimation.

The earlier we have feedback and confirmation, the earlier we can do the booking for the flights. This may save us a lot of money.

I would like to update the Master Plan and the Budget calculation, and adopt the circular mail. I will send it to inform our members - as a first announcement - at a very early stage and ask for early confirmations to list Lisbon participants ASAP. 

Budget has 2 scenarios of participation: 80% participation and 60%.

Outreach should also be included in our consideration for planning and budgeting.

Wolf:  Mobilization of the ALS for the GA is crucial and should be supported by some focal points listed.

According to my experience the emails sometimes are not followed on. To mobilize people, the most effective is a direct approach. We should consider this an organizing team.

Wolf mentioned some people of the ALS to support  or focal points  in the preparation of the GA. My suggestion would be to adopt tonight the master plan, preliminary budget and the draft circular mail to approve the planning steps, because their implementation is the most difficult part to be followed by direct contact by the ALS.

Suitable Hotel rooms - Sandra and I will be in Lisbon at the end of January so we can see the venue, rooms, etc. We have a special offer.

Besides the "technical" organization of the GA and agenda, the most important is the social component – remobilizing and better including them in EURALO again. Each of our members should come and join us in Lisbon.

Oksana asked about individual participants? What are the conditions for funding?

We could only give funding for one of them under the condition that they create an ALS for individual member. I can predict some of the people may have some other choices, such as fellowships for EURODIG in Lisbon.

It would be good to mobilize individual members as well.

Sebastian offered to help with the French organizations and ISOC Italy.

Wolf asked Yrjo if he was willling to take over the ISOC Chapters what he confirmed.

Oksana confirmed also her support.

The master plan gives us rough orientation, is a planning instrument and was approved by all in the call.

Circular letter is a first announcement. It is the basis or references and prepares the grounds for follow up – approved.

Heidi: Asked about whether the people who are pushing the ALS, will they be an Organizing Committee?

Wolf: I would like to use every monthly call. This group is more-less the reference of the organizing committee.

I would like the GA organized in 2 parts: a) a formal one with "regular" issues and elections and for b) I would like to have more content/substance on the agenda. How we can encourage better participation at EURALO, obstacles, concerns or incentives needed?. I would like to ask participants what their ideas are, suggestions, etc. This must be an inclusive approach.

We should have a draft agenda by the end of April.

Yrjo: Is it right that 1 rep per ALS will be funded?

Yes, it was the case for the previous GAs (Paris and Mexico-City).

7. Any other Business (All) (5 min.)

Wolf added that  EURIDIG 2013. Info letter has announced the last call for proposals. It closes at the end of December, there is no extension this time. You can submit your proposals. If you think that one topic should be included please let us know.

This is our last of the call for the year, I would like to thank you all for your regular participation.

-------------END-------------------------------

• No labels