Date: Monday, 24 March 2014

Time: 14:00 - 15:00 local time (for the time in various timezones click here)

Meeting Number: AL./0314/01

How do I participate in this meeting?  

Recording:    EN, ES, FR, ZH

Transcript: EN

Action Items:  EN    

AC Chat Transcript :  EN 

Adobe Connect Meeting Room: 

Participants:

Apologies:

Staff:

Lead: HU

Notes: SJ

RP: GG/AL

AGENDA

Chair: Cheryl Langdon-Orr

1400 - 1405.         Welcome

1405 - 1425.         Introduction of participants and Apologies
                             (round robin style 2-3mins/attendee)

1425 - 1440.         Discussion of Primary Objectives for the Task 
                             Force -- Overall Mission Statement;  Identification
                             of the Key  Short,  Medium and Long Term    
                             opportunities.

1440 - 1450.        Outreach and engagement opportunities for the
                            showcasing  of Best Practices in Accessibility for
                            ICANN

1450 - 1500.       Next Steps, future meeting(s) and review of any
                           Action Items

7 Comments

1. As we have a relatively short time to discuss the Accessibility Taskforce’s objectives and actions, I’d like to suggest the below as a basis for discussion. I have incorporated the recommendations and ideas raised by Cheryl, Garth and Peter. Garth and I have suggested names of speakers for the LA and London meetings.

Suggested objectives with actions:

Building a culture of accessibility

• Disability awareness toolkit be developed
    • Disability awareness training be provided
    • Keynote speakers at ICANN meetings to include representatives from disability community
    • Offer disability showcase events at ICANN meetings demonstrating various innovative ways people with disability use the Internet
    • “Accessibility Champions” amongst ICANN staff be identified
    • ICANN encourage employment of staff with disability
    • Incorporate an accessibility trigger in policy development as well as  ICANN processes and practices

Increasing web accessibility

• ICANN websites meet internationally recognised W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) v2.0 Level AA. This includes captioning of videos
    • Development of ICANN policy on web accessibility
    • Encouragement of ccTLDs to develop a best practice guide on web accessibility
    • Encouragement of registries to use the best practice guide in relation to registrars - in particular to alert registrants to use WCAG v2.0 when developing websites.

Ensuring minimal barriers to participation and engagement with ICANN processes and practices

• ICANN to consider adapting/adopting other existing accessibility meeting guidelines
    • ICANN meetings will where possible and practical be accessible for people with disability including real-time captioning and other facilities on request such as sign language interpreters and Braille materials
    • Communication tools such as web conferencing be as accessible as possible and practical
    • All ICANN information material is produced with good colour contrast and with sans serif fonts in an adequate size

Is this a suitable starting point? Is this too much to start with? What should be included/excluded? What other approaches should we take?

How we can move forwards on a suitable “Disability Action Plan” with realistic time-lines and assigned responsibilities?

2. I have mentioned to staff to retreive the  coments from the pre working group  in response to  Chris Modinie   requests  back  in December

G

3. Here is the video of  Gunella's presentation today

1. Thanks Glenn.... Did you capture, any or all of the rest of the room/meeting or just this part where Gunela presented?
  4. HI   

Since the session was being recorded by Adobe  I  only focused on her  presentation which was short and sweet and easy to upload    

G

1. Ahh OK understood. ... but the quality of the Adobe capture is well hmm :-( OK but... ... ... so I had hoped your higher quality and closer focused material might have gone further and that we could perhaps use some for a short but more general VidPromo... Oh well never mind. I will see what other imagery I can source... Thanks any way Glen...