agenda | transcript | mp3 | ac chat | attendance

17 June 2016 | CCWP

17 May 2016 | CCWP

25 Apr 2016 | CCWP

ICANN 55: Marrakech 5 - 10 March

NCSG-CCWP ICANN and Human Rights (agenda | transcript | audio stream)

NCSG-CCWP ICANNs Corporate and Social Responsibility to Respect Human Rights working session (agenda | transcript | audio stream | virtual room stream)

GAC HRIL and CCWP on ICANN's Corporate and Social Responsibility to Respect Human Rights (transcript |  virtual meeting room)

26 Feb 2016 | CCWP

10 Feb 2016 | CCWP

21 Jan 2016 | CCWP

18 Dec 2015 | CCWP

27 Nov 2015 | CCWP

agenda  | transcript  mp3 | AC chat | attendance

21 Oct 2015 | ICANN 54 | Morning Session

agenda & presentation  | transcript  virtual meeting room stream | AC chat | attendance

21 Oct 2015 | ICANN 54 | Working session 

agenda & presentation 12 | transcript audio stream | virtual room stream

21 Sep 2015 | CCWP

agenda | mp3 | Transcript | AC Chat | Attendees

Date

Agenda

Audio

Transcript

AC Chat

Attendees

17 Aug 2015
  1. Short evaluation ICANN 53 BA.
  2. Works as agreed. 
    1. 1. chart 
    2. 2. legal 
    3. 3. administrative

3. CCWG accountability & human rights

4. Other issues

mp3PDF
MaryamBakoshi:Dearall, welcome to the CCWP on ICANN & HR call on Monday, 17th Aug 2015 at 13:00 UTC
  MaryamBakoshi:MeganRichards & Sara Bockey have joined the meeting
  MaryamBakoshi:RafikDammak has joined
  MaryamBakoshi:Nielshas joined
  matthewshears:hello
  MaryamBakoshi:MatthewSHears and marilia Marciel have joined
  MaryamBakoshi:TatianaTropina has joined
  MariliaMaciel:Helloall!
  Megan Richards, EuropeanCommission:muchbetter !
  MariliaMaciel:Sure.
  TatianaTropina:Hieveryone!
  MariliaMaciel:Yes
  MariliaMaciel:Maybewe can see the agenda on screen?
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:1. Short evaluation ICANN2. Works as agreed. 1. chart 2. legal 3. administrivia3. CCWG accountability & human rights4. other issues
  Marilia Maciel:Perfect
  Marilia Maciel:Lost audio, Niels
  Megan Richards, European Commission:we have lost your voice Niels !
  Maryam Bakoshi:Alexandra, Avri Doria, Stephanie Perrin & Farzaneh have  joined
  Maryam Bakoshi:Niles will rejoin soon
  matthew shears:seem to have audio issues
  Maryam Bakoshi:We are calling him now
  Marilia Maciel:Ok, thanks, Maryam
  Maryam Bakoshi:We are working to get Niels back on the line
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:yyou lost me?
  MaryamBakoshi:Yes
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:aii
  MariliaMaciel:Yes,no audio
  MaryamBakoshi:Theoperator has been trying to call you
  Niels ten Oever -Article19:canyou call me again?
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:I just hung up now
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:pls call me again
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:where did you lose me?
  matthew shears:I am here (I think)
  Megan Richards, European Commission:at the beginning !!
  TatianaTropina:canyouhear me?
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:No we cannot hear you
  Maryam Bakoshi:No
  Tatiana Tropina:too bad
  Maryam Bakoshi:Tatiana do you have a number we can sial out to
  Maryam Bakoshi:*dial
  Tatiana Tropina:+4917635423791
  Maryam Bakoshi:Amr Elsadr has joined
  Maryam Bakoshi:@Tatiana - calling you now
  Marilia Maciel:Vacations for you guys, in Europe I think :)
  Maryam Bakoshi:Yes Tatiana is on the line
  Marilia Maciel:Avri? Matt? :)
  matthew shears:I think that the accountabillity proposal is also asking for input from commenters on the issue of human rights in the bylaws in parallel
  Megan Richards, European Commission:this is what the report seems to say but perhaps this is evolving: • Work plan for Work Stream 2 to: o Enhance diversity and the culture of transparency within ICANNo Further address concerns about community accountability. The 2nd Draft Report includes a recommendation for regular structural reviews of SOs and ACs to assess their accountability towards their participants as well as towards the stakeholders they are designed to represent.o Elaborate on a Commitment to human rights in the ICANN Bylaws.• Details on an implementation plan for Work Stream 1, including a Bylaws drafting process.
  Megan Richards, European Commission:sorry - wrong cut and paste !! apologies
  matthew shears:in terms of strategy it will be important for a number of diverse entities to input on this in thepublocconsultation - the commentrevirewprocess does not weight the inputs so more inputs on issues ofconcernsuchas HR is important
  Avri Doria:i plan to put in my own comment on the issue.
  Avri Doria:both HR related and other.
  matthewshears:+ 1
  matthewshears:I think we have to leave a lot of this to WS2.  If we start to get into the detail the bylaw may get very long and cumbersome
  Tatiana Tropina:I think it is better to avoid detailing bylaws in order to avoid long legal debates which can get us to nowhere and delay the changes we want
  matthew shears:yep
  Tatiana Tropina:*again I don't know how far this discussion went before, may be I am just repeating what has already been discussed many times
  Megan Richards, European Commission:perhaps its a problem with the mike - in a nutshell I agree with marilia's comment
  Maryam Bakoshi:Hi Megan, please could you provide your number for dial out
  Amr Elsadr:@Matt: RE: HRs in WS2, that sounds logical to me, so +1. For now, some form of commitment from the CCWG to include HR issues in WS2 wouldn't be such a bad thing though.
  Megan Richards, European Commission:My number is +322 2962443 but marilia said exactly what I was going to say -
  Avri Doria:The Corporation shall operate for the benefit of the Internet community as a whole, carrying out its activities in conformity with relevant principles of international law and applicable international conventions and local law and, to the extent appropriate and consistent with these Articles and its Bylaws, through open and transparent processes that enable competition and open entry in Internet-related markets. To this effect, the Corporation shall cooperate as appropriate with relevant international organizations
  matthew shears:shame we can't just asterisk the bylaw above after the word conventions and add if need be UDHR and ICCPR
  Tatiana Tropina:@Matthew, it's articles of incorporation I think :)
  matthew shears:thanks
  Megan Richards, European Commission:the articles of incorporation cover all
  Avri Doria:... coverl all that are relevant ... applicable ... and to the extent apprpproprote consistent with the bylaws.
  TatianaTropina:Yes, in a general way
  Megan Richards, European Commission:the Articles take precedence over the bylaws - the bylaws can limit the application or clarify the specific provisions
  Tatiana Tropina:+1 to Megan. I see any changes made to bylaws as clarification of this general commitment
  Megan Richards, European Commission:ICANN has agreed to apply the applicable and relevant provisions by virtue of the provisions of its ARticles of incorporation - public international law and its application is a separate issue and not what we should be discussing here
  matthew shears:agree with simple phrasing for bylaws
  Avri Doria:those are not my concerns, as much as the concerns of tothers.  i support the most general language.  
  Tatiana Tropina:I actually don't see any way to make other than simple wording of bylaws
  Megan Richards, European Commission:am responding in the chat then
  Megan Richards, European Commission:we should ensure that the work is not duplicating that done in GAC HRwgand other fora
  matthew shears:good point - have the GAC discussions evolved since the meeting in BA?
  Megan Richards, European Commission:not yet but would be a pity if the various groups were to either duplicate or heavens forbid contradict that of each other
  Avri Doria:Isn't the GAC having asimlardefinitional issues as the WP4 is having
  Megan Richards, European Commission:thanks and apologies for no voice :-)
  matthew shears:thanks Niels, all
  Tatiana Tropina:thanks !
  Niels ten Oever -Article19:Thanksall!
  MaryamBakoshi:Thankyouall

29 May 2015
- - Introductions
 - Comments?
 -Issue on behalf of who?
 - Approval procedure
- - Sessions in BA
- - Update on other community activities

mp3PDF
  Maryam Bakoshi:Dear all, welcome to the ICANN and HR call on Friday 29th May 2015
  Maryam Bakoshi:Rafik Dammak and Niels Ten Oever have joined the meeting
  Maryam Bakoshi:Welcome
  Marilia Maciel:Hello all!
  Maryam Bakoshi:Welcome Marilia
  rafik:non
  Maryam Bakoshi:Monika has joined
  rafik:maybe she is shy :)
  Monika Zalnieriute:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Monika Zalnieriute:I also right it here:)
  Monika Zalnieriute:haha, I read that I am shy here:)
  Monika Zalnieriute:ok, I wait for the call then!
  Niels ten Oever -Article19:Monika,canyou pick up?
  MonikaZalnieriute:Istilldid not get a call
  rafik:whojoined?
  Maryam Bakoshi: Pranesh Prakash
  Monika Zalnieriute:but I can hear You though,
  Maryam Bakoshi:Vipul Karbhanda
  Maryam Bakoshi:have both joined
  Monika Zalnieriute:mayeb someone know, what I should click to make my mic work?
  Niels ten Oever -Article19:Cliclonthe mic Monika
  Alexandra:hi!
  MaryamBakoshi:Alexandrapleasecould you state your full name for record purposes. Thank you
  Alexandra:Maryam,it's Alexandra Kulikova
  MariliaMaciel:Pleasestart the recording
  MonikaZalnieriute:yes,I can,
  MariliaMaciel:Please,can we let the ppl on the phone introduce themselves?
  Alexandra:i'mnotsure I won't be able to speak though unfortunately(
  Marilia Maciel:Please, mute your mics
  rafik:niels shoulds disable the mic for his adobe connect :)
  Marianne F:Hi all , there is feedback so we are hearing Niels twice
  Marianne F:You're welcom Monika, apologies for the lengthy email nonetheless! :)
  Marilia Maciel:What is the deadline to comment?
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:Depends if we want to print it nicely
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:If we want it to be gone via editor, design and print, we will need to have it done by Monday
  rafik:@Niels it is a working document for CCWP to continue the discussion, expecting the CCWP to produce its first delvierable
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:Indeed, so we need to agree on a approval procedure (point 1.3 :) )
  rafik:I would see it as an "issue report" not necessarily needed an approval , it is more research work to give input
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:let's discuss this under the next point
  Pranesh Prakash:If we don't make a strong defence of HR, who will? :-) Having said that I don't think there's a need to establish a duty to protect on ICANN's part.
  Marianne F:OF course, they do have this responsibility just we need to proceed step by step. So if the point is made in a note then it is there on the record to be used and referred to later if need be (just reiterating verbal point in writing)
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:+1
  Pranesh Prakash:+1
  Maryam Bakoshi:Nigel Hickson has joined
  Marilia Maciel:Audio issues here. Will have to go out and enter again, sorry
  Marianne F:+1 from me for leaving it in as example; just to edit and tighten up for now and indicate there option of more detailed analysis later
  Pranesh Prakash:+1 to Marianne
  Monika Zalnieriute:Guys, I agree to have it as an example: would You like to have it a shorter part though for now?
  MonikaZalnieriute:inthisparticular report?
  MonikaZalnieriute:+ Lee; it might be too much stuff.
  MonikaZalnieriute:Allatonce.
  Marianne F:Hi, if the feeling is to keep it in then perhaps as a note? But Lee is pointing out the timing issue so I would defer to those who know ICANN better than I do
  Marianne F:Please mute mics when typing! :)
  Marianne F:If in doubt leave it out
  Alexandra:Agree that the UDRP part might draw attention from the substantial issues int he firstpartinthe shape it is now
  Alexandra:I might have missed it - couldsmbplease remind again how GAC is going to be engaged?
  Pranesh Prakash:Apologies. I have to leave now. But would just like to reiterate that wemustI(strategically) bear the burden of being the people who take positions on sensitive commercial issues. If we don't, no one else will. We can build bridges after we have some rough position.
  Marianne F:+1 from mePranesh; point well taken, cheerio!
  rafik:@Alexandra we have some GAC members in the CCWP, it has its own working group and Lee is basically doing the liaison. maybe Lee can elaborate here
  Marilia Maciel:Maybe we could move to the session in BA?
  Monika Zalnieriute:So I would like to get the idea what do we do?: please type in here, so I could briefly have  an idea who is for LEAVING the UDRP and who is for TAKING OUT
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:The consensus seems to be that it could be mentioned as an  short example, but we leaveourtthe longer expose.
  Alexandra:sorry
  Marilia Maciel:Yes, that is my feeling too
  Alexandra:I'll type
  rafik:@monika in few words more coming work for you :)
  Monika Zalnieriute:Ok, how long - and how detailed - simply a page or so or approx how long?
  Niels ten Oever -Article19:Shorter
  MarianneF:Mentionit, keep it short as a concrete example vs. a full expose.
  MonikaZalnieriute:yes,yes, so simply asinglerefernece, You mean -thatsit?
  MonikaZalnieriute:shorterthana page, You mean?
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:Yes
  MonikaZalnieriute:simply like an examplementione, in a sentence?:)
  Alexandra:guys, just a quick comment/observation: an elaborate description of  this one case study now will definitely attract criticism from Russian GAC representatives - as at the Signapore meeting they were very vocal on the Crimean domains issue from the HR perspective. It's a very debateable issue in terms of how exactly that relates to  the ICANN remit, but if the HRtalk starts with UDRP in detail I can expect the reaction :) what I mean is that there seems to be a strong link for them berween ICANN and that incidet in the HR context. I can expect there will be efforts to stick it in
  Marianne F:.. I see your point but won't there be this sort of push back anyway? If this example really could become a red herring (forgive the pun) then leave it out for now. We can always put it back in...
  Alexandra:yeah I guess you're right.. But it would be good to at least formulate some stance on the issue from the group? or have a longer least of potential case studies for future
  Alexandra:*list
  rafik:there will be pish back for many topics, that is why we have to work on consensus and "educate"
  Marilia Maciel:Yes, open to collaboration/endorsements
  rafik:we need to get CCWP to have ownership onitwown deliverable
  Marianne F:I agree; send the final version of the report to the CCWP for comments. People comment best when there is something concrete to comment on.
  rafik:the public session is not clashing with important sessions
  rafik:kathy is not coming to BA
  Marilia Maciel:I would go bit further and ask them for their aseesment
  Marilia Maciel:some sort of responsibility to speak
  Marilia Maciel:great
  Marilia Maciel:Perfect
  Alexandra:thanks Niels
  Marianne F:Thanks Niels, thanks all for a great meeting
  Marilia Maciel:Thanks all
  Marilia Maciel:Bye all!
  Alexandra:thankseveryoneandbye!

30 Mar 2015

mp3Word, PDF
  Maryam Bakoshi:Dear all, welcome to the ICANN and Human Rights Call on  Monday, 30th March 2015
  Benjamin Akinmoyeje:Hello Maryam
  Maryam Bakoshi:Dear all, please kindly state your name and organization in the chat windon for record purposes
  Maryam Bakoshi:*window
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:Tentative agenda is here:
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:1. Introductions
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:2. Discussion or objective and scope of the CCWP
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:3. Discussion of potential research topics
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:4. Update on related work in other constituencies and workstreams
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:5. Outreach
  jorge cancio GAC-Switzerland:Hi all, I'm Jorge Cancio, GAC-Rep for Switzerland
  Chris LaHatte:good morning/evening
  nigel hickson:Good afternoon from Geneva
  HR:good afternoon from Brussels - I will unfortunately have to leave about 14:15 - apologies
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:Just to make sure everyone has the text of the CCWP draft charter:https://etherpad.mozilla.org/icannhrdraft
  rafik:hi
  rafik:how is HR?
  matthew shears:hello
  Marilia Maciel:here until the window of the plane closes
  Marilia Maciel:no sound though
  HR:I am also here - Megan Richards (European Commission)  - my name comes up as HR - I guesss the signin rather than name
  Amr Elsadr:Hi Megan..., if you like, you can edit your info using the menu at the top-right of the AC window.
  jorge cancio GAC-Switzerland:the content of the chat just disappeared...
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:https://etherpad.mozilla.org/icannhrdraft
  jorgecancioGAC-Switzerland:thanks
  rafik:Hi Megan, you are welcome :)
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:https://etherpad.mozilla.org/icannhrdraft
  Amr Elsadr:Archives of the email list are here: http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/cc-humanrights/
  Alexandra:Hi everyone, in listening only mode unfortunately
  Amr Elsadr:This AC room is audio enabled, so you can use it to speak without dialling into the conference.
  matthew shears:Is there a ICANN WP template?
  matthew shears:when we were doing the Charter for the CCWG Accountbaility there was a template - granted it is a WG not WP but just wondered
  Amr Elsadr:Great. Thanks.
  Amr Elsadr:Bringing in/recruiting the expertise would be fantastic.
  jorgecancioGAC-Switzerland:As information under 4: GAC agreed in Singapore to form a working group on human rights and international law
  jorgecancioGAC-Switzerland:It is now being constituted, with a large number of interested GAC members, and with the work being lead by Peru
  Amr Elsadr:@Jorge: That's wonderful. Looking fwd to seeing what this WG comes up with. Thanks.
  matthew shears:i think it will be important to ensure linkages betwen the WP and the WG - maybe it should be written into the charter
  Amr Elsadr:I see this now in the text on the etherpad, which answers my earlier question: To propose procedures and mechanisms with the aim of producingassessments on if and how policies and procedures under developedand/or being implemented may impact on human rights.
  MonikaZalnieriute:Iamhere, I can hear everything, but I am not sure I can speak.
  MonikaZalnieriute:DoYouhear me?
  Amr Elsadr:@Monika: Click on the phone icon on the top left of the screen.
  matthew shears:I like the idea of looking at HR in the broader framing of CSR - it might be easier for the SOs and ACs to understand (and be open to)
  Maryam Bakoshi:@Monika, please give me your number and I will dial out to you
  Monika Zalnieriute:Ok, I have turned my mic,  it should work,
  Monika Zalnieriute:aha, ok, my phone no xxxxxxxxxxxx
  Maryam Bakoshi:Dialling out to you now
  Maryam Bakoshi:Yes we can
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:Yes we can
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:go ahead
  Monika Zalnieriute:Ok, so do I speak now?
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:Yes, pls go ahead
  Niels ten Oever - Article19:We still don't hear you Monika
  MonikaZalnieriute:Cool, I hear everything, and I think I agree with Niels
  matthew shears:areeNiels - we should focus where we add value and focus - for for example on CSR
  Monika Zalnieriute:I see its pretty much clear that we should focus most of our attention on CSR,
  Alexandra:It might be useful to look at the Global Network Initiative experience in HR audit
  Amr Elsadr:@Monika: I'm not entirely convinced that CSR should be the focus. The real need of HR consideration in ICANN is on how the policies affect domain name holders. This is done using the governance mechanisms via the contracts between ICANN and the registries and registrars, as well as the contracts between the registrars and the registrants.
  AmrElsadr:I'mnotsayinthat CSR should be excluded, but it shouldn't dominate the focus of the group.
  Avri Doria:aplogiesforbeinglate.  i thought it was later.
  matthew shears:business responsibility to respect HR: http://www.ihrb.org/pdf/state-of-play/State-of-Play-Full-Report.pdf
  nigel hickson:Assume Lee can talkonCOE work?
  matthew shears:@ Amr - understand your point re CSR - but I guess my feeling is that using that approach as an umbrella may make the issue for palatable
  Amr Elsadr:@Matt: Looks interesting. Will have to put a couple of hours aside to go through it. :)
  matthew shears:has this been circulated more broadly Lee?
  jorge cancio GAC-Switzerland:will a short summary of this call be circulated?
  matthew shears:I think it will be very important going forward that this WP has the fullest visibility of what is going on vis-a-vis ICANN and HR bpoth inside and outsdide ICANN
  Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye.
  matthew shears:thanks Niels all
  Chris LaHatte:thanks
  Maryam Bakoshi:Thank you all
  jorge cancio GAC-Switzerland:thanks
  Anri vd Spuy:Thanks.

Niel Ten Oever, Rafik Dammak, Amr Elsadr, Marilia Marciel, Benjamin Akinmoyeje, Jorge Cancio, Concettina Cassa, Chris Lahatte, Nigel Hickson, Alexandra, Lee Hibbard, Matthew Shears, Monika Zalnieruite, Megan Richards, Jean-Jacques Sahel, Stephania Milan, Avri Doria